Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 03:51 PM   #16  

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate it. I did not join WW on Wednesday because my entire family is sick. Next Wednesday for sure. I will pop in tomarrow to let you all know how my new yoga class went. I am excited.

Sheila
Old 03-07-2002, 04:13 PM   #17  

Hi Sheila,

I am sorry your family is sick, that time of year I guess. I hope everyone feels better soon, I will look forward to getting to know you.

Bren
Old 03-08-2002, 07:11 AM   #18  

Hi and happy TGIF!!!

Well we really got hit with an ice storm and thunder last night. Our schools are closed too. Guess I will have to call and cancel my dental appointment. It is in Green Bay and that is just to far to drive on icy roads.

Sheri: I'm glad that you liked the meeting. This persistence thing is so important. The one thing I have to do everyday is exercise. I can't do it only 3 times a week and then start up again.

Candice: sorry to hear about the cat bite I also copied that turtle cookie recipe. I plan on making them myself. This week I made a banana bread recipe that Tara gave me and I also made it for my WW members. OK, I know that I'm not supposed to bring treats to the meetings but sometimes they need a treat after weighing in. Plus that gives them an idea of how it tastes and if they like it they can make it and know exactly how it fits on their program.

Bren: Getting back on plan is a wonderful thing. We are all behind you! Remember to start slowly and be persistent with everything that you do. I tell the members that they wouldn't think of getting up in the morning and going to work without combing their hair or brushing their teeth, so why not be more careful about the things they put in their mouth, weighing and measuring, exercise.......

Everyone, have an excellent day.

Julie

THE CONTROL CENTER OF YOUR LIFE IS YOUR ATTITUDE
Old 03-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #19  
Teacher chick

Hi everyone. Sorry for being so "absent". No real excuse that would make me come out looking good, so I won't try. It's nice to read how you are all doing. Bren, I'm really glad to hear about Janessa making you a grannie. I sure hope she gets into an OB/GNY soon.

I've been really crazed and can't wait until spring break the last week of March. I've had a really good school year so far. My kids are growing up (Mike is 19 and home from college on spring break and Matt will be 10 next week). Steve is still struggling with his Multiple Sclerosis and disability issues. We are involved in legal battles to get that all fixed. My resistance is down and I catch every germ that comes through my school, so I've been sick a bunch since January, using up almost all my sick days. We haven't had a single snow day, either.

I hope to stay in better touch here. In the meantime, it's just very good to read all your posts.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #20  

Wink

Well not only did we get an ice storm, but we also have been without power for about 4 hours. Boy, that was hard, no coffee or computer to start my day off

Hope you are all having a safe and great on program weekend.

Julie
Old 03-10-2002, 05:17 AM   #21  

No ice here but terrible winds and thunderstorms! Some damage too!

Those turtle cookies pulled off a crown..so I had to make an ermergency trip to the dentist! 111.00 for a few minutes of his time!@Cemented it again and will use a stronger one next time..so why didn't he use it the first time?????????

Julie..does this really take off points?

A study in the Journal of The American Dietetic Association* has good news for
beef eaters. Nutrition researchers found that a simple rinsing process reduced
the fat content of cooked ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent.
And, blotting can be used to reduce the fat content of cooked burgers,
meatballs and meatloaf.
So whether you buy ground beef for taste, convenience or price, you also can
enjoy the health benefits of lower-fat ground beef with a few easy steps. See
Web-site for photo directions

Journal of The American Dietetic Association, Vol 92 No. 11 Nov.1992

Sources: Iowa State University, Dept. of Food Science and Human Nutrition,
Nov.1992
USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 11-1(1997)

3-ounce cooked portion, pan-broiled to medium doneness
Ground Beef - 80% Lean/20% Fat

Pan-broiled patties* 228cals/ 15 g. fat = 6 WW points
Pan-broiled patties, after blotting 217cals/ 14 g. fat = 5 WW points
Pan-broiled crumbles, after blotting and rinsing 130 cals./ 5 g. fat = 3 WW
Ground Beef - 73% Lean/27% Fat

Pan-broiled patties* 248 cals./ 18 g. fat = 6.5 WW points
Pan-broiled patties, after blotting 230 cals./ 16 g. fat = 6 WW points
Pan-broiled crumbles, after blotting and rinsing 135 cals./6 g. fat = 3 WW

Ground Beef
Tips & Other Info

One pound of lean ground beef equals 2 1/2 cups of cooked ground beef.

Keep your freezer stocked with already browned ground beef for even quicker
weekday meal preparation. Just brown it, drain, and seal in small freezer bags in
one pound amounts.

When cooking large quantities of ground beef, try boiling it instead of browning
it. Use a large pot of boiling water, crumble in beef, stir frequently. Not only is
this an easier way to cook ground beef, it also removes practically all the fat
(which is now in the water, so degrease the water before dumping it down the
drain). This method doesn't work with ground turkey.

Ground Beef Nutrition Facts:

3-ounce patty, broiled to medium doneness*
Before blotting or rinsing and draining

Ground Beef Product Nutritional Values:

90% Lean/10% Fat 169 cals, 9 g. fat, 3.7g. sat. fat, 70 mg chol. = 4 WW
85% Lean/15% Fat 204cals, 12 g. fat, 4.8 g. sat fat, 71 mg chol = 5 WW
80% Lean/20% Fat 228 cals, 15g. fat, 6.0 g sat.,74mg chol = 6 WW points
73% Lean/27% Fat 248 cals,18 g. fat,7.0 g sat.,77 mg chol = 6.5 WW points

Source: *U5DA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 11-1(1997)

Description:
"Reducing fat by blotting and/or rinsing ground beef"
Source:
"www.beef.org/kitchen/nutr..._beef.htm"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 03-10-2002, 06:33 AM   #22  

Well the storm has stopped but now it is super windy out. The flags at the rescue squad building are standing straight out. Feels cold too.

Candice: Seems to me that I have heard this before about blotting beef. I have done it for sometime myself. You really don't lose any taste but you will lose some of the fat when you blot it away. So why not give it a try.

Wow, didn't know that those turtle cookies would cost so much (losing that crown). I will be really careful when I make them. They just sound so good.

Hope you all have a great day.

Julie
Old 03-10-2002, 09:17 AM   #23  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Default ~Good Morning~

Haven't been here as often as I'd like but I've been here nonetheless. I really miss you guys when I don't "check in".

Julie - It's so hard for me to imagine an ice storm right now. I'm not trying to brag either......but it's been beautiful here in Florida.....you should all come down and we'll have a NIGHT OWLS hoot!!!! Glad you got your power back. I remember many, many times when we had lost our power in Long Island due to ice or whatever. That's one of the main reasons we had a fireplace. If we lost power......we would close the doors to the other rooms or hang sheets up to cover the entry way to other rooms and stay in the room where the fireplace was.....had to keep a small crack open in one of the windows though so we wouldn't get exfixiated (sp?). Anyway, we had a sleeper sofa and had only Jackie at the time.....we'd snuggle under two down comforters and Bill and I would take turns keeping the fire going. Thinking back....it was kind of neat and it got TOO hot at one point. Anyway, glad you got your power back and everyone is O.K. ............Sure wish you were MY WW leader.

Judy - Always wonderful to "see" you in here. I hope you get those insurance issues resolved with Steve's insurance. I didn't realize your other son was 10. Billy turned 7 this past Tuesday, March 5th and Jackie will be 14!!!!!!! July 26th. Now THAT freaks me out. I still can't believe it was 15 years ago that I was pregnant with her. AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! They grow sooo fast, don't they? "See" ya later and I hope the rest of this school year goes quickly for you so you can get rid of the "cooties" you keep catching and build your immune system back up. You need to spend some time with me and lounge out in the sun to dry it all up. You KNOW you're welcome anytime, right??? Heh-heh. Hint, hint.

Hey Candice - I've got to have THREE root canals. I was shocked. I use the ORAL B toothbrush, I floss AND use the waterpick. They tell me it's from all of the meds I was taking last year and the year before. Prior to that, I had GREAT teeth. This ticks me off big time! Thank God for insurance, even though I'll still have to pay 20%. I also lost a cap a couple of weeks ago and am having it replaced this week. After all the major work is done, I'm having all of my teeth bonded so they're nice and white again and will prevent any further "trouble". Hope it's worth it because it will cost me a small fortune and is NOT covered by insurance. YIKES!

A big WELCOME to you Sheila - You'll find many good people here. Hope everyone is on the mend in your house. Hard to be Mom AND doctor at the same time. Hope you're well enough to take care of them all. Again, welcome and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Hi there to Brenda and Tara and some of you missing owls

Last edited by PJ; 03-10-2002 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:54 PM   #24  

Hi Everyone,

Wow, what a nice weekend it has been here. It was in the 60's yesterday and the 50's today, got lots of yard work done. Steve and I went out to dinner and to see 40 days and 40 nights at the movies on Friday. It was fun.

Candice, thanks for sharing the info on the beef, very interesting. It is good to know that just rinsing can make so much of a difference and I am sure it doesn't affect the flavor that much.

Julie, you should have seen the ice-storm we had in Maine and Canada about 3 years ago. Over 400,000 people lost electricity. I was right in the middle of it. We didn't have electricity for 13 days and some people had to go 3to 4 weeks. We had a woodstove and our neighbor had gravity fed water so we were okay and didn't have to go to a shelter but lots of people did. About 3 days into it we decided to buy a generator and went to home depot, we were #521 in line and weren't allowed to leave and come back. We would have had to sleep there, No Way!! They said they had trucks coming up from Mass and New Hampshire but we just said the heck with it and went home. By day 3 you couldn't get batteries, lamp oil, oil lamps etc... anywhere in the state. It was awful but kind of fun too. I was on the treadmill when the electricity went out I was running at 4mph and it just stopped, sent me flying off the back, thank god I didn't get hurt, very lucky. After the electricity came back on I plugged the treadmill in and it had blown the computer in it. Well anyway, I understand how bad ice-storms can be and hope you didn't suffer much damage.

JudyGal, I am so happy to hear from you. I have been worried about you guys. I hope Steve is doing okay. Wow that is a bummer that you are getting sick so much. Well keep your chin up, spring is just around the corner. Take Care.

PJ, Wow, isn't it amazing how fast the kids grow? Brianna is allready starting to get boy crazy and she is only 9 years old. I just signed them up for softball, they should start practice in a couple weeks. I have volunteered to be assistant coach.

See Ya Everyone.

Bren
Old 03-10-2002, 11:01 PM   #25  
Getting back on track!

Hi Owls,

Sorry I have been MIA and didn't get back to catch up and post. I was in yet another accident. Another idiot rear ended me. Luckily no real damage or injuires. I must have a "please hit me" sign on my rear end I have a busy week this week getting paperwork together for insurance etc so I may not get back til the weekend. Hope you all have a great week!
Setina
Old 03-11-2002, 06:50 AM   #26  

Well Happy Monday,

Sounds like the ice storms that you ladies had was much worse than what we had here. I'm just glad that is over with.

PJ, now that would be fun if we could all get together in Florida. I have met an e-mail friend down near Orlando when we went to Disney World. We have been e-mailing each other for about 5 years. I have also met another e-mail friend, she works for WW in Minnesota and we got together last summer. Maybe some day we could all get together

Setina, sorry to hear about the accident, just glad to hear that no one was hurt. I have been very lucky with all the traveling that I do that I haven't had one.

Better get a move on here. I work at the flower shop this morning and then off to do my WW meeting tonight.

Have a good one,
Julie
Old 03-12-2002, 06:26 AM   #27  

This site is not working right! They are cutting back on what we can do, due to expense and I keep losing stuff. You can't post gif's any more and your pics have to be smaller and you can't change your custom avatar!

My finger seems to be doing better but I hurt my upper arm elbow and shin today cleaning the cats room in the basemnet, they are such pigs!! I'm such a clutz, all brusied and lumped up!

Oprah was so good today..what a trooper that gal was( WWT center burn victim). Real tear jerker! :

I lost a half pound and wasn't trying so I ate some M&M's! :wink:

My sons BD dinner is Wed so I have been banking points..I'm, making a pork roast with gravy and mashed potatoes..his request and we will ahve a DQ cake! (need to get it out of the freezer)

Dh is still sick and the doc was too busy to see him last week so he went to the emergency care clinic and they said it was a cold, gave him some nose drops and and a decongestant and now he has a temp and an ear ache to boot! WE think it is sinus but they won't listen to us! Stupid docs!!!!!!!!

I only use ground sirloin usually and if I do use cheaper meat I rinse it..I was just wondering if this actually lowerd the points or if we should still count them the same.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:13 PM   #28  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Hi there

Just a quickie from me today.
Bill's father died last night so he flew to Pa. today. I'm looking for the soonest flight out of here for the kids and I and we'll join him as soon as possible. His Father has been very ill and it's not a surprise but I must say that it's hard nonetheless. You THINK you're prepared and then realize it's SO FINAL and that he's really gone. This is my husbands father......my children's Grandfather and he was only 69! Too young too die. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that I might not be around for a while.....and then again....I might be stuck here tonight and be online anyway. We'll have to wait and see.....I'm still waiting to hear from Bill as to which credit card to put the tickets on. Atleast he'll be there with his two brothers and his Mother.

*quick note*...... I boiled my chopped meat last night that I was using for spaghetti sauce and I have to say.....it cooked MUCH faster and I didn't miss any flavor at all......either did Bill or the kids........so what the heck. I'm boiling for now on when it comes to chopped meat.

Gotta go..........."See" you all soon.

Last edited by PJ; 03-12-2002 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:22 PM   #29  
Is is spring yet??

I only have a minute...

PJ - I am so sorry to hear about Bills dad passing away! {{{HUG}}} I hope you get a flight out soon. My prayers are with you guys!

I will be back in a bit -- someone needs me!

Tara
Old 03-12-2002, 09:02 PM   #30  
SJR
Just stick with it!!

Hi all,

First off, to PJ, sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Sending my condolences to you and your family.

Not much new here. I think my nice loss last week was just a result of being sick and not eating for two days. The scales say I am back to my "normal" weight, although it is TOM, so maybe I didn't gain it all back. It used to be so easy . Wish I could get back into my losing frame of mind. Oh well, will just keep plugging along, as long as I don't gain more back.

Setina - what is up with you girl!!! If it's not the migraines, it is accidents. Someone up there needs to give you a rest for awhile!! Hopefully all is well! How did the house viewing go?

The weather here is yucky. Wish it would either snow or warm up. All we have now is frozen mud in the AM and sloppy mud in the afternoon. Last year at this time we were getting our 3rd 3'+ dumping of snow. Of course, my hubby jinxed the snow this year, cuz he went out and bought a snowmobile. No snow for us!! Guess the maple sugarers are liking our weather though.

Well, should get off this thing.

Talk to you all soon.

Sheri
Closed Thread