Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #1  

Default An apple a day...

I find it to be extremely hard to work fruit into my daily meals. Partly, because I'm picky. There is only about a 2 day window where I enjoy a banana (not too green, not too ripe). I don't like peaches, picky about pears. Bored with apples. Too poor for papaya. I know I should have a serving or two every day, but just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Any advice? Some fruit recipes? Desserts maybe?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

How about oranges or tangerines or clementines (fresh mandarin oranges)?

Strawberries?

Blueberries?

Blackberries?

Raspberries?

In the frozen food section look for Triple Berry Blend (Black, blue- and rasp- berries). Frozen strawberries.

Also instead of saying I am pick..make a deal to try a new one or one you think you don't like again each week.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #3  

Thanks, Kelly. Fresh berries this time of year are just waaaay out of budget. I may try to get some frozen strawberries to do something with this weekend. I can't stand raspberry and blackberry seeds, ick. I do like maderine oranges. I don't like the outside parts of oranges. I've tried recently.

Any way to make bananas last longer?

I really can't think of any that I haven't tried recently. I like canteloupe, not honeydew. Watermelon's okay, but not great this time of year. I like grapes, but not enough to sit down with a bowl full. Should I just do it anyway?

Fruit usually isn't very filling for me, so I have to use the points AND eat something else too. So, I wonder if there is a good way to work them into other dishes.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald
I do like maderine oranges. I don't like the outside parts of oranges. I've tried recently.
Mandarin oranges and be bought canned and the outside isn't there.

Quote:
Any way to make bananas last longer?
A banana stand...costs like $1-2 at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
I like canteloupe, not honeydew. Watermelon's okay, but not great this time of year.
Cantelope is always cheap.

Quote:
I like grapes, but not enough to sit down with a bowl full. Should I just do it anyway?
Remember 1 cup is only 1 point and 2 fruit servings.

Quote:
Fruit usually isn't very filling for me, so I have to use the points AND eat something else too. So, I wonder if there is a good way to work them into other dishes.
So combine it with a bit of protein. Apples & PB or cheese for example.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #5  

Here's one of my favorites. I think it may technically work out to 1 point, but I count it as 2.

WW Apple Cobbler

1/2 c of unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp of graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 splenda packet
2 T of FF Cool whip or Reddi Whip

Mix all ingredients in dessert cup (except cool whip) and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir. Top with Cool whip. A fruit serving that tastes like a dessert

I also have trouble at times with my fruit servings. I tend to drink them. Orange Juice or apple cider are my favorites. I also like to put frozen fruit in a smoothie or add like bluberries to pancakes and things like that.

Another thing I like to do is have some sparkling grape juice. You can buy it at the grocery store. I'll put it in a wine glass and have some cheese and crackers. Feels indulgent and special.

Last edited by Multi116; 01-21-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #6  

Multi - Thanks! I will have to try that yummy looking dessert tonight! Think I have all the ingredients in my cabinets. I hadn't thought of apple sauce or sparkling grape as being fruit servings! You're a clever one, you are!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Unless the sparkling grape is 100% fruit juice it is NOT a fruit serving. Only 100% fruit juice is a fruit serving.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #8  

I always buy 3 or 4 bananas that are very green, and 2 that are just right, that way I have one each day, and they're always at a good point of ripeness. I also like to get the Mott's Healthy Harvest unsweetened applesauce....it counts as one fruit serving and is one point....comes in Granny Smith, Strawberry, Peach Mango, Pineapple, Mixed Berry, and original...very good. You could also try putting a half cup of frozen (thawed) blueberries in your cereal in the morning, or a half cup frozen (thawed) in with a serving of yogurt....makes both things more filling, and gets in a fruit serving! Good luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #9  

Thanks, Mrs. C! I’ll look for the apple sauce. Hmmm… So I might could move a few berries from the freezer to the fridge and not use them all at once. I really should have thought of that!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 AM   #10  

I noticed your comment about berries being so expensive. I'm in Canada and almost every week, I am able to get a different type of berry on sale. Blueberries this week for $1.49 a carton (about $1.15 US). That will give me about 4-5 servings worth. Strawberries last week were $1.99 for a decent size carton (About $1.80 US). Definitely more mileage than junk food snacks for the $!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #11  

My goodness! Those are good prices. Usually, what I notice in the store is about $4 a carton right now. They don't put them on sale unless they are about to expire! Maybe I need to check around...
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Winter berries (indoor) ones are in season right now. What stores do you have in your area: Albertsons had blueberries 2 pints for $4 last week; Kroger stores have a different berry on sale most every week too....also watch at Super Wal-marts, Sam's Clubs or Costco as they are usually even cheaper there. You can freeze them in single serving sizes too.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #13  

Thanks, Kelly. We only have a Houchens, Food Lion, EW James (which I call ew....), and Save-A-Lot. Supposedly, a Super Wal-Mart will be opening in March or April of this year. At that time, I will be forwarding my mail, as I will probably live there next to the Baked Cheetos I currently have to drive an hour to buy!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #14  
Cowboy Up Chick

If I remember correctly isn't Food Lion now under Kroger? I thought it was...I could be wrong.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #15  

Quote:
Unless the sparkling grape is 100% fruit juice it is NOT a fruit serving. Only 100% fruit juice is a fruit serving.
St. Julians, the kind I drink IS 100% fruit juice with no sugar added.
Closed Thread