Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I just wanted to make a comment about the clementines...they are sort of a fresh "cousin" to mandarin oranges...a small, sweet, seedless strain of a tangerine. You can get fresh mandarin oranges as well sold the same way-in the little wooden crates.

I would describe it in sort of the same way that there are like a zillion varieties of grapes-the same basic fruit-but all are a little different in variety with a slightly different taste.

Clementines are seedless and really sweet. To me-fresh mandarin oranges are just a TAD bit less sweet and more bitter. Clementines have the easy to peel and seedless qualities of the mandarin...but the sweeter taste of the tangerine.

My Kroger store carries both varieties.

Speaking of that...has anyone tried the "grapple"? It is a strain of apple and concord grape. Gotta love scientists. *note sarcasm*
Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #17  
Cowboy Up Chick

Just so you know a clemintine is a variety of mandarin orange that is grown around the Mediterranean and in South Africa. This is from a food dictionary. :P
Old 01-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #18  

A "variety".

Is grapple in it?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #19  

Yumm... Just finished a can of manderine oranges. I'm doing better!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #20  

Grapples aren't a new kind of fruit, I think. They are just regular fuji apples treated somehow with grape flavoring. Who thinks up these things?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #21  

The thought of it is just unappetizing to me.

Now an apple that tastes like chocolate...that I might buy.

And Kelly-I was not trying to say that you were wrong in saying a clementine was a mandarin orange. The focus of the thread was someone who is a picky eater when it comes to fruit...and I was simply stating that there are two common varieties (clementines and more traditional mandarin oranges) in the stores of something that looks and is packaged almost identical.
Just like different varieties of apples and grapes have a different flavor-so do the clems and mandarins. The point of me talking about it was giving another option/variation of the fruit for her to try-maybe one would be more palatable to her than the other. I personally prefer clems over traditional mandarins...and red grapes over green...and gala apples over red delicious...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #22  
Cowboy Up Chick

aphil, I was just tryin to show the same thing...it really is a mandarin orange just grown in a different region.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #23  

Yes-I agree-but because of the different environment there are subtle differences in taste and texture.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #24  

A rose by any other name..., or orange. Thanks for all the tips.

I will stock up on some apple sauce cups and cans of mandarin organges. I will get a banana rack and check my freezer section for some yummy berries to add to my yogurts!

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #25  

Default An apple a day....

Greetings

Getting bananas and liking them a certain way...well they do tend to change quickly...just try peeling them and freezing them individually in saran wrap, then they will stay the way you like, eat them frozen or defrost for a tasty treat.

Getting the frozen strawberries or other berries?...don't forget one of the original WW recipes.....1 cup of milk, 1 cup of berries (frozen or fresh, frozen add directly, fresh you can add some ice to make it nice and cold)...splash of vanilla and 1 or 2 envelopes of Sweet N Low (to taste)...great delicious drink, filler and way of getting your fruit in for the day.

Don't forget to slice up fresh fruit in your yogurt to match whatever flavor yogurt you're eating...add a little lite cool whip...and you've got it made.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #26  

Height: 5' 8"

Smile Hi.

I absolutely love this treat on a hot summer day. Clean a bowl full of green seedless grapes and freeze them! Yummy! They are like little frozen goodies!

I also buy the frozen berry mixes. Now at Super Target they have have bags of other fruits like mangos, pineapples and papayas. I make fruit smoothies. They are awesome! I mix 1 cup of vanilla soy milk, 1 cup of frozen fruit, and 1 small bananna. Blend or puree it and enjoy! The only thing I have to add is make sure you eat/drink it within at least 10-20mins else it will start to get a funny texture, but also because they are so good right out of the blender, like a frozen tasty treat. Make sure you rinse the blender, and glasses out to else it will form this fruit scum that sticks to the glass. But they are soooo good it's worth the cleaning up!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #27  
BJ3

Do you like fruit salad? I mix a bananna, apple, can of mandarian oranges. Our ww leader suggested pouring diet Sprite over fruit salad to keep in the fridge without anything turning brown. Try it, it really works. Some in our group leave it on, some pour it off after about 5 minutes. She claims it will keep for days and days without turning. Mine never lasts over two days as someone eats it before then, but I can't stand brown mushy banannas!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #28  
Eat well, Live well

I always have cereal in the morning, and since I no longer eat sugar-coated gook, I almost always cut some fresh bananas and/or strawberries into it. The natural sweetness of the fruit is way better tasting than sugar!

Here, strawberries are in season, and my garden is producing more than I can keep up with!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #29  

oh that recipe for apple cobbler sounds fantastic!!

I like grapes frozen, ever try them that way - MMMMMM
Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #30  

I love that WW Apple Cobbler recipe!
Closed Thread