Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/146

Height: 5ft 3in

Thumbs down I know I need to do better..hELP?

So I officially joint WW today.

Issue 1. I'm not a huge fan of fruit. I can eat a little citrus but I do not like bananas, apples or grapes.

Issue 2 I'm equally not a huge fan of veggies, basically I like bell peppers, cucumber and salad.

Meat, again not a fan ground beef, ground turkey and ground chicken is about it.

So what to I love to eat carbs, dairy, sweets & lunch meat

I'm doing well drinking water

How much healthy oil do you really need, and do you count points for it? I dint cook in oil often and I don't imagine I'm going to eat a spoonful of oil.

my diary today something like this
BF cereal & milk 5pts
Lunch bagel thin, laughing cow cheese wedge, 3 slices turkey opts
Dinner tatertot casserole and ketchup 17 pts

No fruit or veggies..

I'm also having a hard time consuming 33 points that I almost don't want to eat the 0pt items Becuase I'm full on what I already ate.

I also have 8 activity points and all 49 flex points. We don't eat out, and I'm not buying junk food so just how do I do this right?

Last edited by Crawlil; 01-23-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Crawlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

You could easily mix up some veggies in their. Put cucumbers on the bagel. Or throw lettuce on top. Make a mixed green salad to go with your dinner. Have an orange with breakfast. Eat a yogurt with your lunch.

You can always look for those recipes that sneak veggies into diets for younger children--a lot of them rely on blending veggies in. That would bulk up your meals without adding a ton of calories.

Now, if you're feeling too full already, that is easier. Try adding almonds to your lunch--adds points quickly and 28 almonds isn't going to fill you up. Or go with full-fat dairy instead of low-fat. You could try adding some more dairy: a glass of milk with your breakfast, a piece of cheese for an afternoon snack.

I would also say work with the veggie thing. Try them roasted--its also a great way to get some olive oil in. I will say that I lose weight quicker when I get the oil recommendations in. Mine was easy tonight: a tablespoon for sweet potato "fries" (for the whole batch, so I had 1/2 a tablespoon). I absolutely count the points. A tablespoon of oil is 4PP+ and it doesn't seem like a whole lot

Play with it. Try new foods. Work on adding some veggies, fruits and whole grains where you can. You'll figure out what does work for you.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome!

First thing is to take a deep breath. You don't have to tackle every obstacle all at once. In fact, it's better for plenty of members if they don't. You don't want to get overwhelmed. You want to make sustainable, healthy changes.

Let's start with the big things: Points.

You get a set number of Daily Points:

It's encouraged that members try to eat, at least, as close to their Daily Points as they're able. This is because our bodies need proper nutrition even as we're losing weight. Don't panic if you aren't quite getting to your Daily Points number. Don't force yourself if you're not hungry.

If you're consistently under your Daily Points, there's the option to personally lower your Points by 3. So your 33 would become 30.

Activity Points & Weekly Points:

This are completely optional. They are YOUR points. You can do with them what you like. They're not specifically for "junk" foods. In fact, they can be used on very healthy choices. They are for whatever you choose. You do not have to use them, if you do not want to use them.

Some people eat all of them all the time. Some people eat only a few of them. Some people spread them out over many days. Some people use them for a special treat. It's all okay, and it's all personal and optional. There is no "wrong".

I tend to use them if I want an after dinner snack, and my Daily Points are gone. They're there as a cushion for me.

The other things you mention seem to be Good Health Guideline issues.

Again, don't worry about tackling everything at once. Slowly add things in as you can manage if it's overwhelming.

You don't have to like a lot of fruits and vegetables, so long as you use the ones you do like wisely.

I enjoy steaming or roasting vegetables with dinner. Or mixing them up with pasta. Or having a large salad with grilled chicken.

I like mixing fruits into yogurt or oatmeal.

There are a lot of recipes out there that "sneak" in a serving of vegetables or fruit. When you have the time, try a couple of them out.

You definitely don't have to love meat in order to work the WW plan properly. It's not a problem. There's more than one way to get in proper nutrition.

Daily oils:

The oil requirement is there to make sure that we're getting in enough healthy fats. Fat is NOT an evil thing. Our bodies need fat in order to function. So, the oil is there to help us get enough.

After all, WW is not only about watching Points, but it's about training ourselves to eat healthier overall.

The oil requirement is as follows: 2 tsp a day. They WILL cost you 1 point each (2 points total) from your Daily Points. They are NOT "free".

It's actually pretty easy to get the oil in. The oil can be hidden in so many foods. You can cook with it. Roast vegetables with it. Make your own salad dressing. Sneak it into hot soups or even add some into smoothies or yogurts or oatmeal... etc, etc, etc.

A tsp of oil is not a lot, and can be hidden quite easily. In most foods, it won't even be noticeable.

No, you do not have to swallow raw oil in order to get in your daily servings of it.

---

Focus on what you're doing well to start. You're tracking your food! You're drinking more water! Excellent

Pick something to work on improving this week, and then in a couple weeks pick something new to work on improving. Keep building up a little at a time. Pretty soon you'll be surprised at how many GHG you're checking off.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #4  

I sort of know what you're saying about veggies. I'm not a big fan either. Although I think I like a few more than you listed. It's still an issue because I don't always want to eat the same things.

So like ducky suggested, try new foods. Search out things you've dismissed in the past and never tried because you don't like veggies or fruits. You might find something you do like - or try different ways of cooking the "old" foods.

Asparagus for example - a lot of people boil it. I think it's better roasted or grilled with a little garlic and olive oil (perfect time to get that healthy oil in.

Or Chick peas. I recently discovered roasting them and I totally love them. You can add pretty much any seasoning you like. They are crunchy, full of protein and a great little snack. It's amazing how filling 1 serving is!

Do you like French Fries? If so try cutting the potatoes and roast them them (you could get your healthy oil in here too if you want) Or try sweet potato fries. Or my other find that I love - butternut squash fries. (even if you don't like regular squash this has a totally different taste. Closer to a sweet potato)

And the hiding fruits & veggies in other things is a great way to get them in. I throw spinach into eggs. I can't really even taste the spinach.

Anyway.. my point explore, expand your horizons. You never know what might be out there. :-)
anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #5  

Don't forget to read the WW guidelines, did you join at a center or on line?
If you joined at a center they give you little booklets for the first 10 or 12 weeks and if you joined on line they send you e-mails with support info..
I hope this helps..
Iamthegram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/146

Height: 5ft 3in

I joined online for now, but I may switch to th monthly pass. I don't have a car At the moment, ours broke down about to weeks ago and is unfixable (grrrr) and while could walk to the meetings I'm not sure of scheduling right now. Thanks for The tips and support ladies
Crawlil is offline   Reply With Quote