Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default In It For the Long Run #10

WELCOME TO "IN IT FOR THE LONG RUN".

We're a friendly group who have all started with more than 100 lbs to lose and are doing our best to attain healthy bodies through weight loss and exercise.

Most of us are using Weight Watchers to help us along this road but we welcome anyone who is trying to successfully change to a healthy lifestyle.

Got a lot to lose? Pull up your keyboard and join us for fun, support,advice and just plain talk. We love to "see" new faces so jump right in.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:31 AM   #2  

I posted this in my journal this morning. Hope it helps!

I saw this on the Today show this morning. How to keep your resolutions:
1. Get real!
2. Be realistic when setting goals.
3. Get support from friends or family who will distract you.
4. Work on it every day.
5. Expect to regroup. If plan A isn't working, go to Plan B, etc until you find something that works.

The regrouping part surprised me. Its okay that we lose our focus and regroup all the time. The important thing is that we regroup sooner than later.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:07 PM   #3  

Default Okay, Where is everybody??

Helllllooooo????

Come on back everyone!

Just a quick note to say that for the first time in our marriage, I let DH see me weigh-in. We both weighed in today and set the markers on the scale.

Tomorrow, I am definitely going to WW. I've already checked and there is both a 5:30 and 7:00 pm meeting. No excuses!

I've got the Christmas stuff all hauled downstairs. Now to be boxing it up the remainder of the week. Definitely working on getting the house back in order. I've got the palm pilot loaded up with Flylady info.

Anyone use a palm pilot and have any software that you use and love?

Now, I am going to go do 10 minutes worth of spinning. That should be interesting since I haven't exercised much since October.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:42 AM   #4  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

WELCOME 2003!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of my friends!

Terri, thanks for starting the new thread. It needed doing.

Well here it is the second day of the New Year. The Munchie is still causing me problems though but I'll win in the end!!! I missed my meeting due to the weather on Monday but I'm doing my VERY BEST to stay OP.

This year's resolution is one I think I can stick with. It's MORE EXERCISE! Even 15 minutes a day more than I'm doing now, which isn't much except pool exercises, will be an improvement.

Love ya all .... Wish Icould spend more time but we're really busy at work!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:29 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies!

I did it! I rushed right over to WW and rejoined. I've updated by profile to show my at home in the morning weight and the in the evening with clothes at WW weight. That way I can track my weight at home since I don't plan on going to WW every week.

Yesterday was a good food day. I had two pieces of toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Two boiled eggs and salad for lunch. Dh made chicken, peppers and pasta for dinner. It was wonderful! He boiled two chicken breasts then cut them up into small pieces. Sauted red and yellow peppers in a small amount of olive oil, lots of garlic and spices then added the chicken. He did just a small amount of pasta and tossed it all together. A very satisfying and reasonable point meal. A good salad would have been a nice side (need to go to the store!).

I also have done my morning exercises two days now and been on the spinner at night. I started with just 10 minutes at an easy tension; last night I did 11 mins. I really want to jump into exercise with both feet but I'm being careful not to get my hip aggravated.

I better go shower and get ready for work. At least its Friday and jean day!

Have a great OP day!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #6  
Find a Way

Good morning folks. I started my WW meeting yesterday, and had a not-so-nice surprise waiting for me. My WI showed a whopping 259 lbs , up about 11 pounds since I weighed myself on my home scale. I know part of it was the holiday eating, and I'm hoping a bit more was because of the change in scales and methods. Before I weighed first thing in the morning sans clothing - at the meeting it was after breakfast and with clothing. I didn't want to do a pre-WI at home, just want to use the scale at the meeting for a while.

j-ann, good for you getting back with the exercise. There seem to be fast results with that, I notice changes after only a week. My breathing is easier, I just feel better in my body.

Terri - and congrats to you for also getting to a meeting. I have a spin bike at home as well. I like to put on various CDs and pretend I'm in a class and adjust the tension according to the beat. It helps the time to go by faster.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:57 AM   #7  

Good Saturday morning!!!

I've had two good food days and a good start on a third. I've even been using the online WW journal like a good WW'er. I worked late last night and was too tired for exercise. My plan for today is lots of moving around to get all the Christmas stuff packed up and put away. My rec room where the computer is at is a disaster. I also want to start on shampooing the carpets. Anything to keep me from wanting to snack. Weekends are such a challange. Usually we miss a meal and that usually leads to overeating at the next meal. This morning I got up and made a light breakfast and plan on a very light lunch (bowl of WW seafood gumbo). Dinner tonight will be steak, salad and a few fries. So far DH is still in this with me.

Chillin - I had a similar surprise for me to. I can't believe I've put on about 13 pounds since the end of October. I'll dig out some good CDs to help kick up the spinner a notch or two.

J-Ann - How's the munchie monster? 15 minutes of exercise is a great goal. You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish and soon you'll be getting in even more. Just sticking with it is key. Hope work gets better!

Jen - We miss you! Are you doing okay?? Come on back soon!

And everyone else that has been quiet lately. We miss you all!

I better get busy. I'm going to work on the Christmas stuff for 15 minutes - lots of bending, squats, stretches - then work on bill crap.

Old 01-04-2003, 05:13 PM   #8  
Find a Way

Terri, since we rejoined the same time maybe we can help each other stay focused. So far it's another OP day, so that feels good. I can finally breath at night again !

Now to the group. I know we are always searching for a miracle cure, and I don't want to get any hopes up, but there's something that I think is helping with a small portion of this journey. Some background first -

I used to have "Panic Binges" - which to me meant an all consuming need to eat something sweet and/or fatty like ice cream, frosting, Nutella, cheesecake, pizza, - but mostly ice cream. I would drive like a madwoman to the grocery store and even before I bought the item became impatient because I couldn't start eating it RIGHT THEN. These would occur about once or twice a week. Even the few times I could control the urge, the thought consumed my mind the entire day.

Last year I spoke with a nutritionist and showed her an honest sample of what I ate for the week. She noticed immediately that I was in severe need of essential fatty acids. DH and I are vegetarians at home, though I will eat fish when we go out. Of course, we don't go out that often and I don't always order fish, so there was a deficit. She put me on a regimine of 2 EFA gelcaps with breakfast, and 2 gelcaps of fish oil with lunch and 2 with dinner. I also take a multivitamin and calcium, but that's a bonus.

In conclusion, during my walk today I realized I hadn't had a Panic Binge since about a week after I started taking those (mid September). It doesn't mean I'm binge free, I still do the "Lazy Binges" where I just don't feel like journaling or measuring so therefore it's okay to eat lots of bad foods, but that all consuming craving is gone, and it's a tremendous relief. Obviously I'm not a doctor and you should probably check with yours before ingesting stuff, but if you suffer from the same thing it may help you as well.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:22 AM   #9  

I'm back! (Sorta.)

Its been a busy, busy week. We sell online (as some of y'all know) and a typical week finds me shipping 150 packages or so. This week I've shipped 100 a DAY. Holiday season is BIG for retailers - and for us this year we made 10% of our annual income the 10 days before the end of the year. Yikes! So I'm tired and busy and barely even made it here this morning. But, as my husband keeps telling me, this is a good problem. LOL!

Food is actually pretty darn good for me lately - and I feel like I'm making progress - but I haven't made a meeting since the one immediately before Christmas - no time! I plan to go this Friday though. Oooo - and I get an actual done-by-a-salon hair cut this week - woo hooo! The first in over 6 months - it's been tight here. LOL! I'm all giggly about this...

Chillin - I think that intelligent thoughtful weight loss is what's most likely to lead to actual weight loss. Bravo on being able to think through what's working for you - and being able to recognize your successes.

J-ann - I've failed to make any resolutions this year on the theory that they really just intimidate me. Even the most simple (I'll eat more veggies, for instance) paralyze me. I'm glad you're able to make them work for you!

Terri - I think that thething I really and truly hate most about this struggle is how it means every moment of every day for me is about food. My sister commented on it while visiting - there wasn't a single meal where someone didn't sit down and announce the points in some or all of the foods on the table. She thinks its unhealthy - for me, and for my teens - but then she's struggled with less weight than I have, has no children, lives a different life... Bleh. Rambling!

Bye, now!!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #10  
Sweating the pounds off

S/C/G: 360/301.7/199

Height: 5'6 ... I'm shrinking vertically when I'd rather shrink horizontally.

Is it okay if I just jump in here?

I just joined WW over the weekend - after seeing all the t.v. commercials over the holiday, I figured I might as well give it a shot. It sounded like a reasonable plan - no gimmicks really, no food to buy, no huge fees ... more like a life plan than a diet plan.

So I found a close meeting who's time fit in nicely with mine and off I went.

The meeting was okay - not a life-changing experience, but I did get some neat recipes to try and learned more about the program. There was a woman there who had lost over 70lbs - holy cow!

The first day OP (the day of the mtg) I totally blew it ... I'm supposed to be in the 28-33 range and I probably consumed about 90 points. (An individual four cheese & mushroom deep dish pizza really knocked my points up into the stratosphere!)

But every day is a new one - right? So yesterday I was totally on the ball - and I know it's not a great thing, but I only had 25 points for the day. (But I figure after the gourge fest of the night before, it was probably to my benefit.)

I do have some questions for everyone here if you would be so kind to humor me with the answers ...

1. Do you keep a scale at home? I have one, but I'm going to get rid of it. I don't want to know how it measures up to the scale at WW ... what if it weighs light? If so, I'd probably be really disappointed at WW. And since whenever I've been on a diet, I've been a chronic "weigher" - getting rid of the scale will probably be the most challenging thing.

2. Does anyone else have a problem with eating ENOUGH points? From my pizza pig out, I know it's very easy to blow it, but I really felt like I ate too much yesterday. Whenever I've dieted, I've always not ate much. To be able to be on a "diet" and still have a couple of tacos with cheese and sour cream doesn't seem *right* ... anyone here relate to that?

But in hindsight, and in relation to #2, not eating enough has probably been my downfall on EVERY weight loss program I've ever tried. You can only go so long subsisting on water and rice ... you know?

So, very sorry for the longish post ... and I hope it was okay to jump on in.

R
262.6/262.6/150ish
Old 01-06-2003, 01:03 PM   #11  
Find a Way

Hello folks, sitting here with a stiff neck, still a bit afraid of going fast on the snowboard so I probably look stiffer than the board when I'm going down ! Just got to learn to relax, I know I'd fall less!!

Jen - gonna have to disagree with your sister. First, I seriously doubt you are constantly thinking about food, probably mainly around mealtimes and when you are planning what to prepare. I also think it's great that your family is actually AWARE of what is going into their bodies rather than just shoveling it in without thinking about it. Part of the problem with our culture is that we aren't mindful about food, we don't really think of it's significance or how to use it to help heal and keep us healthy. Have a great time at the salon - I hope they give you one of those scalp massages!!

And congrats on the good retail season, it is a good problem to have.

R - WELCOME. I wouldn't think of that first day as "blowing it". You were counting what you ate and becoming aware of what portions sizes are according to WW. It is a learning process and as long as you keep with it, you will never be a failure or have blown it, you'll simply be on the learning track.

I do have a scale at home, a big monster - physician type. DH uses it so I can't get rid of it. Fortunately I've finally gotten past the need to get on the darn thing. I realize WW is a lifelong process, not a weekly one. Stay with the program long enough and you'll see that it does work, but sometimes not on your timetable. You may have a great OP (on program) week but have a bad WI (weigh-in), or a horrible week and a good WI. But everything evens out over the long run.

I'm sure we all went through that "diet mentality" syndrome about "good" and "bad" foods. No food is good or bad, you just shouldn't eat as much of some types if you want to be healthy. That holds true for thin and fat alike. One mistake newbies can make is to load up on low point foods and then feel too full. If you are having problems making your minimum number of points, start having the full-fat cheese, or sour cream, or real bread, etc. I love to add sunflower seeds or walnuts to my salads, and that's a very healthy way to bulk up the points rather than just using them on extra chocolate or something, .

Off to shower and apply a heating pad to the old neck. Have a great OP day everyone.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Well the munchie is still trying to take control but I'm trying, honest I am.

I hope shoveling counts as exercise. I've done a LOT of that in the past few days. I'd sure like to see the ground (minus snow) for more than 12 hrs. We get a foot or two of snow ... it hangs around for a week or so then melts overnight and we get to see "brown" for a few hrs. .... then it starts all over again. I don't think we've had 2 snow free days since Thanksgiving. I know we've had more than 6 ft. fall so far this winter!

JEN: CONGRAT'S on the selling success. I did my share of on line buying after Christmas. Being busy as you've been has had to help keep your mind off the food. I'll admit I try not to mention diet, points, etc. when I'm with family and friends. I do my best to keep portion size down when I'm with them and try to take a point friendly dish if I can. If someone tries to "push" something at me, when I'm strong I just say "It really looks good but I just don't want any right now" and try to get away. It usually works!

CYNTHIA: Try a nice warm soak in the tub. It might help.

R: Hi , Eating enough points can sometimes crop up. You need to plan ahead if it's becoming a problem. I have a scale at home but I try to stay off. The meetings can be a bore but I usually get something out of them. Even if it's just a recipe. I need the commitment to get there to keep me going. You'll find that rereading the material always brings up something you didn't know or forgot too. Stop back we're glad you joined us.

TERRI: You go girl! Sounds like you're on a roll!

Oop's back to work!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:15 PM   #13  

Good Monday evening ladies!

There is so much I want to post tonight but not sure I'll get it all said (on the phone arguing with AT&T).

I made it through the weekend within my point range for each day. That has to be an absolute first for DH and I. He's still working this with me and trying himself. That is also a first. Today was another good day foodwise. It was a terribly busy day at work and I did not fall into stress eating!! I am so determined to make the scale go down.

So far, it is helping me to focus only on points for one day. I'm not paying attention to what I'm banking. So far so good.

R - Welcome to the group! I have the scale at home and I do check it regularly. I go through phases about staying off and but then sometimes that means I let things slide. Whatever is the most motivating for you. I don't have the problem about not eating enough points. One thing that may help is to look at this as a way of life, not a "diet". For most, if not all, of us, we'll have to watch what we eat if we want to lose and keep off the weight. Its all about moderation and making adjustments. Have the tacos one day and make adjustments in other meals. Good luck!

Jen - Welcome back!! We've missed you but you've had a good problem. Holy smokes, how do you keep up with that many orders?? I do have some thoughts about constantly thinking about food that I will share in another post. Getting a little bleary eyed.

J-Ann - Six feet of snow!! We are still snowless which means we are in a drought. Its weird to be watering the grass in January.

Cynthia - Very good soul searching about your binges. Isn't it great to see the improvements? Making sure we have all the right nutrients sometimes gets lost in just counting points. I agree with you about the walnuts, full fats, etc. We need those in our diets. You must be snowboarding a storm. Go Girl! Hot bath or Ben-Gay! Have fun!

Hope I didn't miss anyone. I'll reread the posts tomorrow and try again.

Have a great evening and day tomorrow!
Old 01-06-2003, 10:02 PM   #14  

Good Evening Ladies,

I hope you do not mind me jumping back in again. I posted some before Thanksgiving, but then have had all sorts of computer problems so I have not been able to get back on line until just recently. It can be so aggravating!!!! Anyway, I had my hard drive cleaned out and things seem to be working fine so far, so I will keep my fingers crossed!
I, like some of you, have struggled over the holidays with staying on program, but the new year brings another opportunity, so I am going to try to get my butt back in gear and loose some of this weight again. An endless struggle it seems. I have temporarily given up on getting to meetings, but I have a digital scale available at work, so I am going to try to weigh in there weekly and post my weight to you all to keep myself honest. I work tomorrow so I guess tomorrow is my "official" weigh in day. I have a bought a pretty journal and have all my WW material, so there is no excuses I guess!
Hope everyone has a great Tuesday! Talk later!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:08 PM   #15  
Find a Way

Good morning folks, my body is recovering nicely. I just have a slight twinge at the base of my neck but have full freedom of movement once again. Some friends have invited us to join them this weekend up at Breckenridge, so I'll be going once again for punishment . I'm taking a lesson again this time so it won't be so bad. Somehow when an "expert" is telling me what to do I'm more willing to do it, very weird.

Went to dinner with the FIL and his girlfriend last night. Great restaurant with a pre fix special on Monday nights. DH and I both ordered that, and then I caught a glimpse of myself in a strategically placed mirror. I didn't get any ugly thoughts, just thought to myself "gee, I'd like to be thinner". I evaluated things as I ate, how I felt, if I was hungry, and ate only half the entree (the rest will be lunch today), and split the dessert with the girlfriend. So I stayed OP and still had a wonderful meal and good time.

Terri - sure wish we could get some of that snow. It's looking like the drought will be extended here in Colorado. The ski areas are getting good stuff, but I don't think it's falling particularly heavy near the resevoirs. I haven't even had to shovel snow at all this winter. And on the OP weekend to you guys! That is great. It must help that DH is doing it with you. I focus daily as well, don't want to get caught up worrying about the week. I have an Ipaq (thank goodness BIL works for the company and we got a huge discount on the thing) and I use an Excel spreadsheet that I designed which calculates points, APs, and keeps track of all that stuff for me. Makes it very easy.

j-ann - look at yourself naked in the mirror to exorcise that munchie . It's such a hard battle sometimes, particularly with the monthly crap to contend with!!

Chatty - good for you for finding a way to get back on WW. We are here for you and will help you along.

Now it's time for my walk, gonna do one lap and see how the body feels, and then build up during the week so I can get back to the 3 laps. Anotehr brilliant blue sky day here, so it should be pleasant out there. Take care.
Closed Thread