Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 07:00 AM   #1  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Default In It For The Long Run #8

WELCOME TO "IN IT FOR THE LONG RUN".

We're a friendly group who have all started with more than 100 lbs to lose and are doing our best to attain healthy bodies through weight loss and exercise.

Most of us are using Weight Watchers to help us along this road but we welcome anyone who is trying to successfully change to a healthy lifestyle.

Got a lot to lose? Pull up your keyboard and join us for fun, support,advice and just plain talk. We love to "see" new faces so jump right in.

j-ann
Old 11-26-2002, 07:02 AM   #2  

The Night Before Thanksgiving

Twas the night before Thanksgiving and all through the kitchen;
I was cooking and baking and moanin' and *****in'.
I've been here for hours, I can't stop to rest,
this rooms a disaster, just look at this mess!

Tomorrow I've got thirty people to feed.
They expect all the trimmings. Who cares what I need!
My feet are both blistered, I've got cramps in my legs.
The cat just knocked over a bowl full of eggs.

There's a knock at the door and the telephone's ringing;
frosting drips on the counter as the microwave's dinging.
Two pies in the oven, dessert's almost done;
my cookbook is soiled with butter and crumbs.

I've had all I can stand, I can't take anymore;
Then in walks my husband, spilling rum on the floor.
He weaves and he wobbles, his balance unsteady;
then grins as he chuckles "The eggnog is ready !"

He looks all around and with total regret,
says "What's taking so long....aren't you through in here yet ??"
As quick as a flash I reach for a knife;
He loses an earlobe; I wanted his life !

He flees from the room in terror and pain
and screams "MY GOD WOMAN, YOU'RE GOING INSANE !!"

Now what was I doing, and what is that smell ?
Oh, darn, it's the pies !! They're burned all to ****
I hate to admit when I make a mistake,
but I put them on BROIL instead of on BAKE.

What else can go wrong ?? Is there still more ahead ??
If this is good living, I'd rather be dead.
Lord, don't get me wrong, I love holidays;
It just leaves me exhausted, all shaky and dazed.

But I promise you one thing, If I live till next year,
You won't find me pulling my hair out in here.
I'll hire a maid, a cook, and a waiter;
and if that doesn't work, I'LL HAVE IT ALL CATERED !!!

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends
Old 11-26-2002, 07:05 AM   #3  

READ AND HEED!

TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING, BUT I JUST COULDN'T SLEEP
I TRIED COUNTING BACKWARDS, I TRIED COUNTING SHEEP.

THE LEFTOVERS BECKONED - THE DARK MEAT AND WHITE
BUT I FOUGHT THE TEMPTATION WITH ALL OF MY MIGHT

TOSSING AND TURNING WITH ANTICIPATION,
THE THOUGHT OF A SNACK BECAME INFATUATION.

SO, I RACED TO THE KITCHEN, FLUNG OPEN THE DOOR
AND GAZED AT THE FRIDGE, FULL OF GOODIES GALORE.

I GOBBLED UP TURKEY AND BUTTERED POTATOES,
PICKLES AND CARROTS, BEANS AND TOMATOES.

I FELT MYSELF SWELLING SO PLUMP AND SO ROUND,
TIL ALL OF A SUDDEN, I ROSE OFF THE GROUND.

I CRASHED THROUGH THE CEILING, FLOATING INTO THE SKY
WITH A MOUTHFUL OF PUDDING AND A HANDFUL OF PIE.

BUT, I MANAGED TO YELL AS I SOARED PAST THE TREES....
HAPPY EATING TO ALL - PASS THE CRANBERRIES, PLEASE.

MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY, MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP,
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE
PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:51 AM   #4  

YOOHOO......

Where the heck is everybody???
Are you in the dinner wine a BIT (?) early or what?????

Still OP and hoping you all are too. BTW I'm going to buy an iBook as soon as one is available at the Apple Store. I'll have a real (laptop) COMPUTER! - Maybe by the weekend. So if I disappear it's cause I'm trying to figure out how to get online.

Hope you all have a lovely and blessed Thanksgiving.

Love,

j-ann

Last edited by j-ann; 11-27-2002 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:28 PM   #5  

LOL!

I'm here - sorry 'bout the mini-absence.

Tonight's dinner is ham sandwiches with pretzel sticks. A bit on the basic side - but I thought the ham left overs would mesh well with the turkey leftovers to make for a great after Thanksgiving weekend, foodwise.

Looking forward to Black Friday (LOL!) - the day after Thanksgiving shopping is one of my favourite shopping days of the year! This year we have no $ but window shopping is almost as fun.

Happy Thanksgiving (for those who celebrate!)
Old 11-27-2002, 05:10 PM   #6  

Happy thanksgiving everybody!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Happy Thanksgiving! Have a great day! I'll be back on Friday.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:20 PM   #8  
Find a Way

Happy Thanksgiving all!

DH and I got back from Breckenridge, CO last night. I had my first snowboard lesson yesterday and was in some pain last night since I had used muscles I didn't even know existed!! But I can tell I'm going to like it. It was so great being up on the mountain yesterday, brilliant blue skies, can't wait till I improve on that darn board. I would start with skiing, but my calves are just too big to fit in even the biggest ski boots. Most of my weight is from the hips down. And what a great way to spend the holiday. I thought I'd miss the meal, but I didn't. It was just too nice being up in the mountains in the clean air. Lots of families there as well. I wouldn't mind making this a tradition.

Now for the CU/Nebraska game today!! DH and I both went to the University of Colorado, so I'm really hoping CU wins - otherwise DH will be moping the rest of the day .
Old 11-30-2002, 04:14 PM   #9  

Hello ladies,

Wow, quiet this weekend. How was everyone's holiday? Ours was good. It was down at mom & dad's and the weather was beautiful. So, lots of outside activities to get everyone out of the house. I got to ride Ginger again even if she threw a big fit and was trying to act bad. Scare tactics. Almost worked but I made myself follow through and ride. Then there is the mechanical variety of things to ride - the Kawasaki Mule and our Yamaha Vino. The mule is a two seater ATV and our Vino is a one person mo-ped. Was great until one of my nephews was jacking around on the Vino and crashed it. Did about $250 damage. We finished the day off with target practice! Nothing like a redneck Thanksgiving!! I was just glad to be outside and away from the food.

I'm sure I blew myself out of the water with food. I didn't eat breakfast and there were hot sausage bread, tortilla rollups, hot artichoke crab dip and this was before dinner at 1:30!!! I couldn't even eat everything on my plate so no seconds for me. I did eat pumpkin pie and pecan pie before heading home. The only leftovers I brought home were our pumpkin pie and a strawberry pretzel dessert. However, we've had a couple of days of too much food here at home. Tomorrow is meatloaf and scalloped potatoes over at the MILs. I keep telling myself ....small portions, small portions, small portions.

My 25th high school class reunion is currently being planned for Labor Day weekend 2003. I absolutely do not want to go at this weight. I went to the 15th at around 250 and had a great time. I told DH I want to lose 40 pounds before then. I need a goal or something to commit to; this isn't for them. Its for me.

Emeril is a bad influence!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sitting here watching him on the FoodTV channel. Geez, he's doing ice cream stuff that looks wonderful. Thank goodness there is no ice cream in the house.

I did work most of the day on getting the outside lights out and other Christmas decorations in place. I've still got some stuff to do but today I have been trying to get back in storage what I'm not going to use. Trying to keep the house from getting out of control. Also, keeps me from hanging out at the fridge.

Chillin - Snowboarding!!! I'm impressed! Sounds like a great time. I love Colorado. I don't ski (something about careening down a mountain out of control scares me! ) but love the mountains.

Jen - How was the window shopping?? I refused to go anywhere near a store yesterday. Black Friday definitely isn't for anyone faint of heart!

Anyone follow the flylady? I've been doing some of it for a couple of weeks now. I kinda like it. I need to go do 15 minutes of pickup here in the rec room.

Have a great rest of the weekend!
Old 12-01-2002, 08:06 AM   #10  

Morning, ladies!

The weekend is finally winding down. Friday shopping saw lots of looking, and a little buying (how could we resist the little Tommy Hilfiger skirt and top for my teen at - get this - $8; or the Elisabeth outfit for me at $6), and lots of marvelling at the insanely rude and oblivious shoppers and drivers. Saw a couple accidents, watched the beginnings of a fight (over a fresh pallet of televisions at Wal-mart) and discovered that my semi-local K-mart now only offers American Greetings gift wrap - which is mucho expensive.

Food has actually been darn good this weekend - though I don't feel much slimmer for it. I made several desserts - all of them with low point counts (3 pts or less per serving) BUT I only ate the sugar free jello with FF Cool Whip. I picked desserts that simply wouldn't interest me so that the family could indulge healthfully, but I could resist and go for my yummy jello!

Terri, I do FLY. I love the FLYlady ( http://www.flylady.net ) and she's changed my life quite literally. I've gone from cluttered, who-knows-what-you'll-find-if-you-dig-long-enough to organized and not embarrassed to have someone drop by. Love it!

Chillin - I'm such a klutz that I've never tried to ski! How exciting that must be!!!
Old 12-01-2002, 09:21 AM   #11  

Hi Ladies,

I got the laptop on Friday so I'm struggling to learn the new OS. It's fun tho and I'm so glad I did it.

Yesterday it was 45º and all the snow melted. This mornin' there's a foot of snow on the ground & more on the way. Yeech!

I'm going to have to check out flylady. I need organizing help!

Well, did you all go shopping on Friday? Jen, did you get to WI?

Back later,
Old 12-01-2002, 01:44 PM   #12  

J-ann - I got a free pass this week. Our local WW site was closed on Friday and Saturday (the two days where the times would make it possible for me to go) so I don't see 'em again until next week. (They did tell us that we wouldn't have to pay as they were closed on our regular WI day!)

I'll say it again, FlyLady ROCKS!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:37 PM   #13  

I have to agree with Jen about FlyLady. My house is looking better and better. Most days I would dread if someone where to happen to drop by - not that we're unclean but with the dogs and being busy - the house used to be a disaster most of the time. Keeping up with the clutter is half the battle.

We're back from the MIL's. Not too good with the food. However, there won't be an evening meal. I have an allergy headache so I'm going to go lay down for a spell and hope the allergy meds kick in and help.

Have a great rest of the Sunday!
Old 12-01-2002, 05:22 PM   #14  

Hi ladies, OK, I went to visit FlyLady and I think she's got some great ideas. I plann on spending some time exploring the site tomorrow since I don't have to go back to work til Tuesday. Do either of you get her newsletter?

Chillin, you could come here and ski and snowboard. We have over a foot of nice fresh powder and more to come tonight. I went out and just walked through it for a bit. It was soo soft and the flakes are huge! Some as big as a half dollar when they were falling. I really love Winter just wush it didn't last 5 months!

Terri: Hope your meds kicked in and you're feeling better. Take it easy.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:45 PM   #15  

I just wanted to report that I did my first cardio exercise in over six weeks. The doc gave the okay to start small and see how my hip responds. I did five minutes on the airdyne exercycle. I'm still taking double doses of Celebrex to help the inflammation go away. This may very well be something that plagues me from time to time. She didn't think surgery would do any good but I may end up doing physical theraphy. Which I really don't want to do. Anyway, the good news is that I can try some exercise and I'm going to try for five minutes in the morning and at night.

J-Ann - I don't get the FlyLady newsletter but I do get reminder emails daily. Those have helped me be mindful of all the clutter and housework and that helps me keep more on top of it. Its all about reminders and someone else organizing what needs to be done.

Let's have a great start of our week!
Closed Thread