Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #136  

Thanks, Laura, if you find any recipes.
What you said makes sense about schedules going out the window when you last child graduated. I can understand as it is starting to happen with me as well. My organization and schedule revolved around my kids, especially feeding them. When there are less and less people at the dinner table, then you don't plan and think. When all four of us are home for a change at a meal, it's now becoming a "special occasion" for me to cook, in a way. When there are two of us, it hardly seems worth bothering to cook at all.
I guess preparing large quantity items and making use of your freezer might help out? I'm learning that as well. I am not used to buying for two people vs. four of us and lots of my fruits and veggies go bad before we get to use them nowadays, but it is unpredictable when everyone will be home, so I continue to buy so that things are on hand.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #137  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone

I am way too far behind to do personals for everyone! Agh! I will try to be better this week.

Well, I weighed in this morning and I was down 2lb. Can you believe I was actually disappointed with that? I guess it's because I had done Wave 1 of Sonoma a couple of times and lost 6 or 8 lb ... but I realize there were several factors at work here: 1. WW doesn't have an "induction" phase; 2. I was exercising quite a bit so I may have gained some muscle; 3. TOM. I still had 13 flex points left at the end of the week, so I don't think I overate. Did I????

Anyway, I'll take it. I started Week 2 of C25K this morning and it felt good. I did it on the treadmill rather than outside because the humidex is 31C today.

Here's to a great week for all of us!
cheers
Erika

Linda - Yep, I remember the magnetic hill. LOL ... it's definitely an optical illusion, but it's pretty cool. It's in the Moncton area. Where did you go in Newfoundland? My DH is from St. John's and we will be there for 2 weeks this summer (it's about my 10th visit there).
That sounds like a tough situation with your daughter. It sounds like you are handling it in a really good way. Keep posting here about it when you feel down!!
Tech - have a great trip!
Haylo - great job only gaining .6 on your trip!
Paige - hope you are feeling better today.
Welcome Tina! WTG on 23 lbs!!! That's fabulous.
Hi Laura
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Linda and anyone else:

Low fat Creamy Potato Salad

POINTSŪ Value: 2
Servings: 8

1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 whole hard-boiled egg(s)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp mustard
1 tsp table salt
1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1 cup celery
1/2 cup onion(s)
2 pound potato(es)
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup Dole Green Onions
Instructions

Prepare potatoes, cool slightly and cut into cubes. Mix mayo, yogurt, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add potatoes, celery and onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill.

Macaroni Salad

PTS Value: 3
Preparation Time: 12 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
8 oz uncooked macaroni, elbow
1/2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup celery, chopped
1/3 cup red onion(s), finely chopped
2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
Instructions
Cook macaroni according to package directions without added salt or fat; drain and transfer to a large bowl.

In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard and garlic powder; stir mixture into cooked macaroni. Fold in celery, onion and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.
Notes
The hint of celery, garlic and onion makes this creamy salad a super-flavorful, easy-to-prepare mainstay for your menu. For added color, stir in diced tomatoes.

Feel free to swap whole wheat pasta for regular pasta if desired.

Orange Jello Salad

From the kitchen of MARYKREA

Estimated PTS Values Per Serving | 3
Servings | 10

Ingredients

1 15 oz. canned crushed pineapple with juice
6 oz. sugar free orange jello
2 cups buttermilk
1 8 oz. canned mandarin oranges (drained)
1 12 oz. container of sugar free Cool Whip
1 8 oz. Mandarin Oranges in light syrup - drained

Instructions

In saucepan bring pineapple with juice to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in orange Jello until dissolved. After dissolving orange Jello, drain mandarin oranges and add to pineapple mixture. Cool. Mix in the buttermilk. Fold in whipped topping. Pour in bundt pan or ring mold that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm.

Special Notes
This is a family favorite. It reminds me of an orange dreamcicle.

Tuna Mac salad - CORE!!!!!

1 box of wheat elbows
a few lg cans of tuna/chicken
ff mayo or mw

Cottage cheese/jello salad

1 small container of FF cottage Cheese
1 small box of SF jello (pretty much any flavor you want. I usually use raspberry, strawberry or cherry)
1 small container of light cool whip - (FF makes it soupy - use the pts for lt)

Mix the jello powder into a bowl with the cottage cheese. The add the cool whip. Stir until well mixed.

Probably serves about 6 people - 1/2 c serving

I pulled these from WW - for some reason some of them don't have the pts but they all look like very low pt recipes

BOY I HOPE THIS POSTS BECAUSE IT'S BEEN HANGING UP!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Cheesy Potatoes
POINTSŪ Value 3

3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
10 3/4 oz Campbell's (U.S.) 98% Fat-Free Cream Of Chicken Soup
5 oz Kraft 2% Milk Reduced Fat Natural Cheese Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with Pam. Mix all ingredients together and place into baking dish. Bake 1 hour.

I think it's the length of our thread again - I hope people see these recipes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #140  

Tech: have fun on your trip
Erika: Wow 2 lbs that is great, I can see why you would be disappointed when you compare it to your previous lossess but you should be proud of yourself a loss is always better then a gain.
tina: Welcome
rosegarden: I think it's just the concept of summer that gets us off track, I always think of summer as a time to rest so I guess that why for me it's easier to slip up.
Derry: I am proud of you for not being the grocery store pasta salads those like you said I am sure are not points friendly. I am not a big pasta salad person so I don't have any recipes but if I happen to come across any I will let you know.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

Laura--ooo those cheesy potatoes sound yummy!!! I am going to have to try them.

Erika-congrats on your loss-that is great!

Welcom Tina!

Tech-Have a great time on your trip!!

Linda-Did you talk to your daughters friends parents? I am very curious on what you decide to do. I go both ways on the situation, on one hand, you have to remember you are the one that raised your daughter and I am sure she knows to make the right decision. But on the other hand, kids are easily influenced and it doesnt sound like her friends parents are going to do a good job of watching them. Although, if she is going to be a senior in hs in one year she will be out in the real world or at college by herself and making her own choices. Its a tough call...

Emma-I am really sorry to hear about your husband problems. I cant believe that you have to go through that.

As far as me, I have been doing ok. Not great-actually I havent counted points in about 2 weeks but I got on the scale on Sunday and somehow only went up 1lb. I ran both days this weekend and made healthy food choices-even though I need to start counting again! I have to go for a dress fitting today for my dress for the wedding this morning and I am really nervous about it. Oh well-maybe it will get my butt in gear. I really wish I was one of those people who's passion was running or exercising. Its always such a struggle for me. I just need to keep remembering to take one day at a time...
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #142  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
I had a very busy weekend, not much time to myself at all. So for now I will be short. Gee, the recipes look great. I will give the macaroni and potato salad a try, as I am always looking for lower point versions of those.
I make something very similar to the orange jello salad (actually made it on Saturday!) and it ls 2 points per serving. My family loves it too, and my mom actually asked me to make it for her birthday, which was Saturday.
Sorry not enough time to get personal. It is hot and I have a nasty headache.
Hope everyone is having a great day
Ginny
Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #143  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

Oh boy...it's been a while since I've been on here. Sorry!
My birthday was yesterday-- I'm 30 now
Went to an awesome concert- Nickelback!!!

Bought a new scale yesterday . Mine died last week, and going 5 days without weighing myself was killing me.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #144  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello all

Tracy, Happy birthday. I like Nickelback. They are an awesome band. Wow, to go without a scale for a whole 5 days. I was weighing myself everyday for a while but then I stopped weighing so often.
Tech, have a wonderful time on vacation.
Laura, the salads sound great. I am going to try them all. I hope that you get your weekends get better for you.
Tina, welcome, you are doing awesome. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. They are always here when I need them, and do I ever need them at times.
Briza, good job exercising. I think that fake it til you make it works with running and exercising. I don't really enjoy running but I enjoy the way I feel after I run. I hope you are doing well.
Linda, I think I would be nervous about my 17 year old daughter going with people I didn't know well enough to trust. Did you get in touch with your doctor today? I hope everything is okay.
Paige, it sounds like you had a great time. It is nice you are close enough to visit your family.
Ginny, hello, I hope all is well with you. Are you enjoying your summer so far?
Emma, I do hope things are well with you.
Erika, great job with your run/walk and congrats on your loss. Do you fly to Newfoundland? I have been to PEI, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick but haven't made it to Newfoundland/Labrador.
Haylo, how are you my walking buddy. Guess what I did last week, you will never guess. I met with a trainer and a dietician too. It was so good. They both explained during separate meetings that I need to eat at least 1800 calories a day if I am going to run as well as walk. They told me to follow the ww guideline but try counting calories to make sure I am getting enough. This means I will probably eat more points than I have been. I meet with each of them once a week, the trainer to do strength training and the dietician to go over my eating. They also explained that I may not feel hungry but with all the running I do, I need to eat more. It was great. I am going to limit my walks to 10,000 steps, and still run 5 km per day. The strength training will be three times a week. It was really exciting.
I hope you are doing well this week and way to go only gaining .6 of a pound. You may need to eat more with your exercising.
Erica, how are you doing?
Sarah way to go reaching your goal you have set for yourself.
RoseyPosey, hello, what is new with you?
I hope everyone has a wonderful week.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 07-09-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #145  

Erika, I'd not be upset about 2 pounds, that's a great loss! I am pleased with ANY loss whatsoever! After being away for several days and eating out, I am wondering if I will have a loss or gain tomorrow? I won't be mad if there is a gain as I did "cheat" a bit eating out. On the weeks when I am very well behaved and then have a gain, I get angry, but if there is a gain when I was a "bad girl", I have no one to blame but myself. It was good and I had fun, though.
Yes, Moncton is the name of the place we stayed in with that hill. I remember my dad taking us to that hill and making a big deal about it and putting the car in neutral and we supposedly went up the hill. He got a kick out of it, at least. I have family in Bonavista, Newfoundland that I visited, Erika. It's beautiful country, I loved it. It was so cool to see Icebergs floating in the harbor in July! I think I have some relatives in St. Johns as well.
Laura, your recipes sound good. I'm going to copy, cut and paste them so I can try a few of them. I'm especially interested in the cheesy potatoes, as I love cheese!
I'm glad your post worked! Computer issues can be such a pain! I've been trying to do financial stuff on my computer all day, off and on and my computer seems to be messed up and is deleting files, yet all my virus scans are negative. I can't wait for my husband to get home and have a look at my PC as there is obviously something wrong. He even mentioned getting me a new computer on the phone tonight as he is sick of messing around with mine all the time. It really is a pain.
Haylo, thanks! I was proud of myself too for resisting all those tempting looking concoctions in the grocery store. I'll bet their macaroni and pasta salads are VERY high in points, and there is usually no calorie/fat info that you can use. You know, my own homemade stuff is usually much better than the store-bought stuff anyway, but my own recipes from the past are not WW friendly at all, sadly. I do long for those. In the non - WW days of the past, I'd make up several nice summer salads in big covered bowls and keep them in the refrigerator. They would make great side dishes and I wouldn't have to cook that much. They were great for lunches too, and would stretch over several days. But, they are not WW friendly, so I have to find other things.
Briza, I didn't talk with my daughter's friend's parents yet. But, I will. This trip is supposed to take place the last week in August, so I have plenty of time. What I did do was to start a list of questions I need answered before she can go. When I talk with the mom/dad, I will be clear that I have several concerns such as curfew, sleeping arrangements, weather or not the girls will be given car privileges (I will not allow my daughter to be in the car with their daughter driving around a strange area, especially at night), the place they stay, phone numbers, etc. I want to stress my own curfews to them as well as what I allow and do not allow my daughter to do. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but if I am the stricter parent, I need to be sure that my wishes will be respected if she is to spend that long a time with them. Their daughter is always one to "push the envelope" as they say. I've heard of her going out drinking and partying (from my own daughter who objects to it) and she has ignored our state's rules about new drivers having only one passenger in the car at a time and taken several kids at once in her mom's car. My own little angel (she really is a goody two shoes) drove her own car, by herself, to join this girl and others at the movies. This girl conned my daughter into sneaking into an R rated moved as well (I don't really care as it wasn't that bad of a film, but this girl always looks the other way when it comes to rules, it seems. Yet, my daughter is intelligent enough to know it's wrong and share it all with me, at least. If she were secretive and didn't share it with me, I'd have more cause to worry. My daughter already asked if there would be drinking and told her she wouldn't go if there was, at least.
I can't "tattle" to these parents about what their daughter has done that my daughter has taken me into confidence and told me about, but I can stress my own concerns for rules, as these parents aren't really on top of what their own kid is up to. If I am not satisfied with the answers, then it is my prerogative as a parent to develop a family situation or something that makes it so that my daughter cannot make the trip.
Just one thing, so you all don't get the completely wrong picture here, I do like this girl and she's not a bad kid, but she is just less supervised and more apt to stretch the rules than my daughter is. I was no angel when I was a teenager and I managed to live through those times, luckily, but I wouldn't be a decent parent if I were not cautious about who I allowed her to go away with.
I sure wish the place they plan to go to wasn't quite so far away, if it were closer to where we live, I could be able to come and get her if she was not feeling comfortable. Also, if it were for a few days vs. an entire week, I'd be much more comfortable. But, I also know she is going to be a senior this year and could be going off to college in about a year and living there, so she truly does need to have experiences like this to "test" her skills. She's only stayed overnight one night at a time at friend's houses and has never traveled away from us/home before to any great degree. So, perhaps this would be a good thing for her, even if she has a lousy time? But, I need to know she will be safe. So, in the meantime, I am working on my list of questions to present to the parents.
I know they want my daughter to go, very much, as their daughter is an only child and she gets very lonely during family vacations, I guess. So, having a friend to come is very welcome for their family so she is occupied?
I'm glad I have you all to run all of this by, though, nice to hear all of your different views on this.
As for today... I was right back on program and have been 100% CORE today. I went to the gym and figure I earned two points, so I can have a WW dessert. It felt good to be back at the gym today, and I hope to go again tomorrow. Though, I am debating the regular debate about weather or not it's best to go to the gym on weigh in day?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #146  

One other thing, the thread probably needs re-starting again. I will try to get to it in the morning, but if you have trouble posting or more time than I have, go for it.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #147  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
It is so humid here lately that it makes it more difficult to run outside. That is when water, water, water comes in handy.
Linda, that is awesome your daughter is honest with you and what this girl is doing. Maybe you should talk to the girl and set down your rules with her too. Some kids don't listen to their parents but they do listen to other parents. Your daughter sure is lucky to have you for a mom. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your daughter.
Have a wonderful day.
Ann
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #148  

Here's our new thread!!!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117415

I'll read and respond to posts here and then post it over there!
C-ya there!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #149  

Hi all!

I'm having a really hard time being good up here. It's mainly because the foods around are not ww friendly. I'm not snacking at all, but the things that we are having for b, l, and d are just not what I would normally choose to have at home. Not to be complaining, though! I'm really trying to use portion control...maybe I'll find that I'm doing better than I think? I hope so. I am feeling so bloated. My sister and her family are leaving today, then it will just be me and my dds here, and we will be leaving tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that I'll be able to stay completely op tomorrow and Thursday, as my wi is Thursday. At this point I'm just praying that I have stayed the same! I think I'm also going to challenge myself to try to stay op today, too, but it's going to be difficult because I have no idea on point values.

Tracy-I was going to ask you about your Nickelback concert...I wasn't sure if you had gone yet or not. We saw them in TN back in the fall. OMG, they were incredible!!!!!!! We had amazing seats and backstage passes (my BIL who plays for the Titans has connections!)...I couldn't hear for a week!!! Were they performing at the Pepsi Arena?

Anyway guys, I must run. I hope you are all having a great and successful week!
Closed Thread