Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like Ilene's oatmeal mixture but it isn't like granola to me. To me granola is a lot of crunch! I need texture and flavor, not just flavor. It is similar to a cereal though and isn't bad.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:06 PM   #17  

Alright, so 1/2 C oatmeal to 1/2 soy/skim milk. I am really weird about textures and the sliminess, yes the sliminess of oatmeal grosses me completely out! Now here are the questions: How long do you soak? Are sunflower seeds a better choice than almonds or walnuts?

Thanks again for your input!
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #18  
Ilene the Bean

Nelie -- Aww, thanks I'm glad you liked it a little anyways...

txlawchic -- How long do you soak? It just depends on how much time I have... The longer you let it soak the more milk is absorbed by the milk, it just has a different texture, but definitely NOT slimmy...
Are sunflower seeds a better choice than almonds or walnuts? Better? Hmmm, not sure, but almonds or walnuts would be a great option... but don't put alot of any of them because they are all pretty high in fat...Another really good option in the morning are also pancakes here's my recipe:
1/3c oatmeal
1/3c eggwhite
1/3c cottage cheese
spenda to taste
vanilla to taste
you could also add sunflowers, almond, and walnuts. I've even added almond extract... blend everything in a blender or with a handmixer, pour the mixture in a pan... makes one very large pancake or a couple of smaller ones...

Hope this helps...

P.S.: Had the spaghetti sauce on top of shredded steamed cabbage very good....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #19  
Mel

Hi LWL-
This is a drive-thru posting I had my CPR recertification class tonight. Y-A-W-N! I think I've taken CPR about 15 times now since 1978. And luckily, still never had to use it

All this oatmeal talk is making me hungry. Txlawchic, I used to despise oatmeal...it made me gag just to think about swallowing the stuff. When I started eating this way, I would only eat steel cut oats because they are grittier and chewier, but now I LUV oatmeal. Kinda grows on you.

Today I completely fried my shoulders- upped my weights on everything after last week's lighter workouts. Also did a cardio triathalon (treadmill, elliptical and bike).

Off to bed, very early clients

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Today was leg day and I will be walking like a great great great granny by dinner time. Personal best on the leg press #270 and man did it hurt good. Then I did calves and squats on top of that. Tonight I have a 1 hour date with the remote control and the stationary bike to get the cardio in.

Question? What the heck is a decline press? I used the decline press machine the other day but have no idea what I was supposed to be trying to work.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #21  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Morning all! Got about 4 1/2 hours sleep last night...had my first painting class and was so psyched I was up till 11, then woke again a little before 4, tossed and turned...and finally went to the gym around 5:30. Did about an hour's worth of cardio, then went home to start my day. I know I am going to crash sometime this afternoon; hope I can last. Really wanted to get my upper body workout in tonight, as tomorrow night I have class again, but doubt if I'll last...I can feel a headache coming on already.

Hope everyone has a great day.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

There must be something in the air. I was up at 4 folding laundry, I had a shower ... Now my head feels thick!

Here's my version of Ilene's pancake ..... I have a little food processor
grind up 1/2 cup oatmeal and soak it in 4 egg whites. Sometimes I add protein powder. In a no stick pan lightly wiped with olive oil, I fry on side until it's almost dry then flip it for just a couple of minutes. I usually have it with fruit puree of some sort. but have used it for a savory carb as well. Very versatile.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #23  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went to the gym last night, did 30 minutes of back and biceps (very quick workout). I was kind of feeling weak and it really showed. I'm not sure what was up with me and I couldn't talk myself into any cardio.

I then tried a stab at making granola, it was kind of interesting... I basically used some ingredients from ilene's mixture and some others which was oatmeal (quite a bit), ground flax, wheat bran, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, splenda, sugar twin brown sugar substitute and water. I mixed it so that it wasn't mushy/watery but so that it was all kind of sticking together in a big bowl. I then sprayed a baking sheet with some pam and then made kind of a flat pancake out of the mixture by pressing it down into the baking sheet. I then put it in the oven at 275 for 45-50 minutes. When I went to take it out, I found that the top was kind of crisp but the bottom wasn't, so then I turned it over and put it in the oven for another 20-30 minutes. It was pretty good, actually almost too good. Next time, I could add some peanut butter, but that might be dangerous.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #24  
Mel

Nelie- I used to make my own granola that way and found it was just as dangerous, albeit healthier, than the boxed variety. Even more dangerous if you start adding peanut butter or chopped almonds

Tiki- Decline Presses work your lower pecs. I usually avoid them and tell most women to avoid them or go lighter than you would do regular presses, since it works muscle down around the bra band area. IMO, unless you are competing, not really an area where you want major muscle. This is definitely personal opinion!

Sorry to hear about the insomniacs. I slept like a log until the alarm went off, waaay too early. Eating early just makes me hungry all day. I did legs this morning much earlier than usual, and went back to basics: heavy, heavy! In my last few months of fun with functional fitness and babying my knee, I've really lightened up and lost strength. Time to regain some lost ground. All the balance exercises are great and have a place in a fitness program, but I don't want to sacrifice too much muscle mass. On the other hand, it's nice to get my legs into slim cut jeans again

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #25  

Default More Snow???

All this oatmeal talk, make me want my oat bran, much creamier and smoother but I have given up the carbs.

I did free weights at home yesterday though because I don't have a lot of them it was pretty whimpy, better than nothing. We are getting 5-9 inches of snow on top of the 30 we already have. I can't get the car out and am just not going to walk over there. Blah.

NELIE - Your recipe sounds interesting and I like how you keep on working on it to make it work. Sounds like a good combination of things. Still can't find the brown sugar Twin at the supermarket, probably just as well, it isn't like it is unlimited.

Getting back on track, pumping myself up for motivation to stay on track.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #26  

Thank you all so much for your oatmeal and pancake recipes. Fighting the psychotic hungries today. Opted out of cardio last night b/c it was getting late but did the weight training, i.e. Fiberblaster, lasted a 2 1/4 hours (mind you I'm working out with a friend). I know it's going to take a while for the hunger thing to subside or become manageable, but my gosh!
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:17 AM   #27  

hi LWL,

Lousy week sofar as far as working out goes. Husband is on a business trip, son is ill, got bad news at work, so basically I have put the rest of the week on "plan B". Which is just to survive without gaining weight and make the best of it. So no working out, nothing.

Hope to be on plan in the next couple of days. husband is returning early tomorrow, but then we have a full weekend sceduled. So realistically i can try again next week. I hat it when the week goes wrong like this, but i guess it is just life.

"Just go on breathing" as indiana jones says.

bye,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:30 PM   #28  

Default Nelie ...

Hi all ... I am a first-time poster but frequent lurker in this forum. I love reading about all your successes and hope to glean inspiration to get my own @ss in gear.

Nelie, wanted to mention you in particular. I am so impressed with your efforts, going to the gym, sticking to your eating plan. I know you'll meet your goal of losing 100 pounds by your birthday. Keep it up girl!

My own story is that I lost a significant amount of weight (100+) a few years ago and regained it. But I'm about ready to climb that fitness/weight loss mountain one more time, so I appreciate reading all your smart words on the subject!

Thanks so much ...
Remotely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Thanks Mel,

No, I dont want to build up my bra strap area so I will leave that machine alone.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #30  

Hey all,
I've been AWOL because my grandmother died last week unexpectedly and I had to fly back for the funeral etc. Finally back and I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym, as I'm sure y'all will understand. Hope everyone has been having a good week.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote