Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #16  
Mel

Artmaker- The class you took was probably something called Bodysculpt, or Powerpump. Light weights, lots of reps, different lifting speeds. I've taken them occasionally and count them as cardio. If you are going to do a BFL style lifting program and are a beginner, I'd suggest staying away from those classes. You'll just continue to fatigue muscles that should be resting. If you enjoy group fitness, try a pure cardio class like spinning (you can do it at your own level, you don't need to be Lance Armstrong), cardio moves, or a lot of gyms now have group treadmill workouts called "Treadscape". If you are lifting to failure on your weight days, you really need time to recover from resistance training on your off days. Until you achieve a fitness level where doing 40 reps of something with 5 lb dumbbells really is just cardio, I'd say REST. Congrats on the clean days!

I've had a LOOOONG day at the gym, and ran a health fair at a local company. Had people balancing on foam noddles, squatting on bosu balls, trying all sorts of functional fitness exercises. It was fun!

Today was arms and I can barely type. Moved up in weights, and added a couple new exercises. I have to stop lifting for at least a week due to some minor surgery tomorrow, so I really wanted to hit everything hard before my layoff.

Eating clean and actually did some cardio

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had a really good 'back and biceps" today. I love anything to do with lats. Feels awesome. As I've said before, my arms are pathetic, but today they ache good, even tri's. I ate good and clean even tho' I went to work. People sure look at ya funny when you have a three course coffee break.
But that's not the good news! My youngest son, 18, the BIG LAD, lifted with me today. Yesterday I heard him on the elliptical, he says he did legs the day before. Tonight he's gone to play floor hockey with friends. YES!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #18  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Default Getting Started!!

Hey Everybody!!! It's been a while since I've spoken to most of you. I read how well you all are doing and wanted to give each of you guys a big pat on the back!

Since I last posted, I've put on approx. 20 lbs. putting me back at 200! I was dong so good for a couple of months and then the day to day stresses got to me one day and I blew it!!! I bought a new treadmill this past weekend and am determined to get back on track. It's just getting started is my biggest problem. The thought of getting up at 4:30 pains me. I have no excuses no matter how hard I try to make them.

I know I can lose 65 lbs. by June! I know I can have the muscles that I want so badly! I just don't know why I can't get started and stay commited like you guys!!!! You know, if you really think about it, 65 lbs. is not that much weight compaired to some people's weight loss. In my mind, I think I don't feel I deserve it or something...I dunno! It's weird!!! It's like a security blanket or something. I buy all of the Fitness mags out there and dream of that being my body. Sometimes I wonder if i can have that, you know? I know some of you guys have done it!!! So why do I think I can't?

I think I focus too much on losing weight and not enough on being healthy.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to try and post more often.
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #19  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey Mel - hope your surgery goes off without a hitch tomorrow. Pop in and let us know you're ok when you get the chance.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #20  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Today is Thursday and I am commited to eating clean today and starting over!! Just had to officially announce that.
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:46 AM   #21  

Mel, good luck on your surgery. Hope all goes well and your recovery is quick and uneventful.

Sandy, don't give up! When I read here, I don't see that people live their lifestyles perfectly 100% of the time. I see people trying hard, making more good choices than poor choices, and continuing to move on. I don't think there is any one moment when you "arrive" and everything is easy 100% of the time (in fact, I think that is listed as a trigger more than once), I think progress is tipping the balance in favor of the good. When I fall into a rut, or seem to be doing a slide into old habits, I focus on One Good Day. All it takes, for me, is one good day and I'm back on track. Sometimes I have to struggle through that one good day, but once I get that done, things seem somewhat easier.

About thinking it is possible to achieve the body you want, I sort of feel the same way sometimes. I think maybe we have to go on faith until we see the results. It is hard to work hard to achieve something that may seem impossible given our bodies and history, but look at the people here. So many of them have done it. And I'm pretty darn sure they are real people, not touched up photos like you find in magazines!

For me, instead of focusing on going from A to Z, I choose smaller interim goals to see me through, otherwise the payoff would be too far away if that makes sense.

Okay, off to pay the bills.

Everyone have a great day.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:47 AM   #22  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Default Good luck Mel!

Mel, hope all goes speedy and well with the surgery. And thanks for the advice about the lifting.

Susan B. Very cool about your youngest son! It always amazes me when something I say to my kids actually makes sense and they act on it. Usually, all those years of resisting "their mom" is so ingrained that further resistence comes automatically.

Sandy, welcome back, tho' I wasn't here when you were part of the thread. You will love your treadmill. Don't forget...if you don't have enough time, you can break it up into segments. Also, don't dream about your body changing, assume it is happening. It just isn't visible yet.

All well here. Since I have class tonight, can't get to the gym so did my upper body at home, trying to follow the BFL format. My arms were shaking for about an hour afterwards, and it felt great.

Another day-Day 6- of good eating. I know to stay away from the scale, but oh, it is so tempting to see if I am making progress. Unfortunately, I have boobytrapped myself so often in the past that I know scale watching can be dangerous.

Hope everyone has a good Thursday.

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #23  
Mel

Just wanted to pop in to let you all know I'm home and fine. I had a large lypoma (benign) removed from my hip. I feel slightly like a wide awake drunk. The drugs are still in my system, but 2 cups of coffee and FINALLY getting my oatmeal and pp have me feeling slightly more normal.

Back to my couch....
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi Mel,

Glad you are home, okay, and having coffee, oatmeal and PP instead of saying I feel bad, may as well eat "comfort" stuff. Apparently you are not REALLY drunk :-)

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

tiki -- How are you girl?? You're back?! So happy to see that smilling face. Have you been too busy, hence no posting? I hope all is well with you and your gang...

Mel -- Take the drugs and relax and take care of yourself... You work so hard you certainly deserve the break. Good for you on the foods too, that is no easy task when you are not able to exercise...

artmaker -- on day "6"... Keep up the great work we're rooting for ya!

Dawnajoy -- Yep, we're real ppl for sure! No touch ups around here that I know of!... I think I too have finally learned, in the last year, to look forward to shorter term goals it makes the journey less difficult, and afterall there is always something to look forward too... For example I tried my pant-o-meter pants this week and they were too BIG! Imagine my shock! So now I've found a new pair.

SusanB -- I've been working with my 16 yr old lad too and it's a lot of fun...

Dying2lose -- Welcome back ... Accountability is half the battle...

It's a gorgeous coolish day here and I'm off to jog to the gym, once there I will do chest, then jog back home... soooooo TTFN....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #26  

Mel - so glad your surgery went ok. Relax and get rested up!

Sandy - hi and welcome back. I'm struggling at the moment too, so you're not alone.

Tiki and Pookie (a few messages ago), glad to 'see' y'all.

I went to a quick class on "nurturing yourself while doing it all" yesterday at lunch, and the first suggestion was lower your expectations for a week. Not forever, but just long enough to realize how much we all beat ourself up for not doing things. So I'm going to take a break from all these expectations. If I'm honest, I can realize that a job and 2 graduate courses is too much at the moment, but I'm stuck and have to follow it through until the end of the semester. So I'm going to eat the best I can and exercise when I can and not feel badly about when I can't.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Yes, work has been superduper hectic, add cheerleading, school back in session and that equals no time for anything. My mom was here for 9 days and she ripped me a new one cause I haven't even had time to tweeze eyebrows, style my hair, hit the gym (seriously) NOTHING since September. I leave home at 7:30 and don't see my house again until after 9 Mon-Fri and then its football all day Saturday. I'm SO glad that Sunday is competition and then I'm done. I plan on being REAL CUTE on Monday and also in the gym at 5AM to put some serious work in on a challenge that I am doing on another board.

HOWEVER, you all are in my thoughts each day and I'm looking forward to posting my progress and putting all of your great tips to use.

Peace.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #28  
Ilene the Bean

Thumbs up

Laura - Lowering your expectations for a little while is quite ok... A great idea as a matter of fact. It just may show you that going to the gym till the end of semester 1-2 times/week isn't so bad after all. Hang in there girl... We're here for you...anytime, all the time...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:31 AM   #29  

Doing it all, wanting it all, being it all....I can so relate to this. I am a single parent of three teenagers, work two part time jobs which add up to more than full time, and am about to go back to school full time. Crazy? I cannot even imagine what my life is going to look like for the next 3.5 years. I haven't been in school for 20 years, so truly can't imagine what this will be like. I only know that now is the time and I will find a way. Oh, and I refuse to give up the gym and my fitness and health goals. I think I will be very busy, but in a good way. I actually have the final financial meeting this morning, so I should know later today whether or not I am going to do this. It feels right, so I am hopeful that it will work out. As a working single parent the one thing I have learned (and the hardest thing I've learned) is that I cannot give everything to everyone. I cannot give 100% what I would like to my kids and 100% I would like to my employers and 100% to myself. It has been an ongoing lesson in balance. At some times, the balance shifts and it is necessary to take from one to give more to another, but I do try to keep the best balance I can at any given moment. The guilt from the areas being shortchanged is something I struggle with, but I think that is simply my personality than anything else. I think I would feel that way regardless how much time I had to give to each.

Question for you all: My trainer is changing gyms. Long story, but the new contract the gym I attend has offered him is not acceptable to him. He has been "unofficially" training at the second gym, and is about to take on a contract with them. They are offering a "great deal" if a certain number of people go over with him. My question is, what are the chances of me taking this deal and the gym not honoring their contract with him? If I like the gym (and from the sound of things, I will), I think changing might be a good thing for me (better hours, better equipment), but it is slightly farther from work and home but not too bad. I just don't want to go over there and find that they don't honor the commitment to him and I'm stuck there. I want to do the yearly rather than the monthly to take advantage of the price (which I know is truly a discount, as I know their regular prices) and with starting school, I want this expense dealt with once so it won't be an issue with the monthly expense later. Sorry, that got awfully long!

I'm off for a three day weekend out of town, and am planning to make the best choice possible at each opportunity, food wise, and also to hit the gym in the hotel at least once.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:56 AM   #30  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Dawna, can you wait until his contract is signed before signing on? I don't have a real answer for you...there's certainly risk involved. How long a contract is he signing for? Will you lose money on your present gym contract?

It sounds like this thread is full of overachievers...Tik, Laura, Dawna...and myself, with three classes plus full time work. My classes are stress free...they're all art classes, but I find myself so hyped up afterwards I have trouble getting to sleep. Sleep is the big thing with being so active. Maybe you all don't have the problem.

Ilene...you are so lucky to have a gym so close.

Mel...glad the surgery went well. Hope your recovery goes quickly. How long do you have to wait before exercising again?

Tomorrow I meet with a trainer for the first time, and am psyched. Went over and introduced myself last night, and he seems nice. Will see how effective he is.

Did peek at the scale and after 7 days have gone nowhere, so discouraging. Need to change some of my eating. Think eliminating the cheese and nuts will help, but need to find satisfactory substitutes. Mel, your apple/cinnamon/splenda idea is great...had it with yogurt for a snack yesterday and it was delish.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Don't know what it's like where you are, but here in MD it's supposed to be sunny and in the 70's.

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote