Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Look at stumptuous.com and stronglifts.com for some pointers on form
with lunges, squats and deadlifts. I love deadlifts; they give an amazing rush. I can do 162# at best, but am currently doing 2 sets of 10 at 132#.

I would like to be able to lift my bodyweight, but more to the point, I'd like to get my bodyweight down to what I can lift

Last edited by Tejas; 05-03-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
Look at stumptuous.com and stronglifts.com for some pointers on form
with lunges, squats and deadlifts. I love deadlifts; they give an amazing rush. I can do 162# at best, but am currently doing 2 sets of 10 at 132#.

I would like to be able to lift my bodyweight, but more to the point, I'd like to get my bodyweight down to what I can lift
HOLY WOW!!! I want to be you when I grow up! Oh, I can DL about 90 (the bar weighs 45 pounds, right?) so far, working up slowly. . .
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #33  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Can someone please explain this to me in a little more detail? I am being cheap and I don't want to spend money on the book because I don't know if this is something I am ready for quite yet.

Basically, are you just doing heavier weights with less repetition 3x a week and making the weights heavier as the weeks progress?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #34  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
Can someone please explain this to me in a little more detail? I am being cheap and I don't want to spend money on the book because I don't know if this is something I am ready for quite yet.

Basically, are you just doing heavier weights with less repetition 3x a week and making the weights heavier as the weeks progress?
the author gives specific exercises in order and explains why it works. Try checking it out from a library, it's worth it. I checked it out from the library first, and bought it within a few days
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #35  
I am in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower View Post
the author gives specific exercises in order and explains why it works. Try checking it out from a library, it's worth it. I checked it out from the library first, and bought it within a few days
Already did that, and nothing is available. Just wondering if it was a more weight, less reps kind of deal.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #36  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

yes--lots of squats, lunges, deadlifts, push ups, shoulder presses etc and the goal is to lift heavier.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #37  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
Already did that, and nothing is available. Just wondering if it was a more weight, less reps kind of deal.
I think I got the book for something like 8 or 9 dollars on BN.com, so it's not horribly pricey.

But essentially, it's a 6 month strength training program. It focuses on using dumbells, barbells and body weight exercises (pushups, jack knifes, planks, pullups) and some HIIT is added in after awhile.

It is a "more weight, less reps" kinda deal, focusing on lifting heavy to build muscles, which in turn will re-shape your body and help rev your metabolism to lose weight. The author doesn't believe in cutting calories too low or that bodies are made in the kitchen. The book focuses on eating moderately, while getting a lot of protein, veggies and healthy fats and carbs. He outlines a diet and suggests you eat around 1800-2200 calories while following the program.

I like it.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #38  
I am in control.

Cool, thanks for the descriptions everyone -- it sounds really interesting!

Last edited by Emme; 05-05-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 168/142/137

Height: 5'7

I'm currently doing this program, only on stage 1 but will be starting stage 2 in 2 weeks. Have to say I love it!
I have done various other programs, fitness & weights based but have found them tedious and time consuming and eventually I lose interest.
As I am heavy involved in another sport which takes up 4-6 days of my week I need something that will fit in around this. I use a home gym so I usually workout of an evening and have found this program can fit in around me. Nearly all the exercises have alternatives for home gyms too.
The only exercise I really struggle with is push-ups, I can do them on my knees but have been pushing myself to do proper full push-ups.
I have seen great results so far but I really had to play around with my diet a bit to find the right combo for me. I actually found the calories too high so I dropped them and I am gradually working them back up as I get further into the program. Eating clean & right marcos was a key component too. I did start this program some months ago but had to stop because of an injury (not related to this) and had to start from the beginning again. I'm really looking forward to stage 2!
I have found that if I dont get enough sleep then I struggle to lift the heavy weights, if i keep that in check I have been moving up in weight.

Love to hear about other peoples stories.
sharpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #40  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpest View Post
I have found that if I don't get enough sleep then I struggle to lift the heavy weights, if i keep that in check I have been moving up in weight.

Love to hear about other peoples stories.
Welcome Sharpest!

Sounds like we are right around the same part of the program. I have done the first 8 workouts in Stage 1, so am moving on to work-out A-5 on Saturday and will move on to stage 2 May 23 I believe.

I am doing 3 times a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Saturday. Some days I run for a bit too, Wednesdays I also attend yoga. I try to get running in on the lifting days so I have a real recovery day of rest in between lifts.

I noticed how sleep impacts me so much!!! This week's workouts haven't been that great because I've been so tired, although I was able to work up to 6 reps of a 20 lb (x2) shoulder press. The weights at my gym go from 12 lbs (too light now) to 20 lbs, so I am trying to do as many as I can with the 20's each week after a set of lifting 12s.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 168/142/137

Height: 5'7

thanks wildflower

I'm starting workout A8 tonight, I'll do 9 & 10 next wk with the bonus round then 1 wks rest (I think that sounds right from memory) so it will be just over 2wks before I start Stage 2.

I also run, just finished C25K which really helped with my fitness. I cant do the runs at the moment, but try to do 2km runs 1 or 2 times a week now til we get better weather, its coming into winter here. Time is a major factor too.
sharpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

My copy shipped today, may arrive by Saturday!
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Goodforme, when you grow up might be more correct than you know. I'm 65 years old.

I looked back at my weight lifting journal and I was doing the deadlift at 45 pounds, 3 sets of 10 reps, this time last year. Most of my progress has been in the last 4 months. Just keep at it.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #44  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Women can be strong my heaviest deadlift was 213 and there are a few women at my gym who can do more than me
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Women can be strong my heaviest deadlift was 213 and there are a few women at my gym who can do more than me
After I catch up with Tejas, I so totally want to be YOU when I grow up. Sometimes I feel like lifting 15 pound dumb-bells is killing me. I want to be strong, sure, and someday I will be, you ladies have given me hope!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote