Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #61  
Mel

Noooooooo topless workout here! My workouts consist of too much jumping around! Though it sure would make "chest to deck" push ups easier

Kim- here are two dancing carrots for you
Did you do the original CKD? Did you LUV those depletion workouts?

I can't remember the last time I did any type of isolation exercise...gotta love CrossFit!

Nelie- Hope you and Zach feel better soon.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #62  
Workin' It

'Chest to deck' pushups topless... That image totally came into my head during my burpees on Saturday, making me laugh and blowing my stride.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #63  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Alright, people, you are taking the topless discussion to a completely different dimension!!!

I shoveled snow for a good half hour at 6 a.m. Not entirely sure if I will have time for a workout tonight, I had Energy Audit Follow Up last week and a new front door and basement windows installed on Friday. The instllation was scheduled way prior to the audit follow up, but they cancelled on me TWICE because of unseasonally cold temperatures. The audit inspector actually volunteered to swing by tonight, so that he can incorporate the door and window installation into his report (he needs to take pictures of what was installed as well as a pic of the invoice) ... and that in spite of the fact that today is a holiday (I am working though on the account of being off on Friday). So I hope he doesn't forget and he calls me tonight and comes by ... that would mean more $$$ from the Audit for me.
WIsh me luck.

Another snow storm passed over during the night but we escaped fairly lightly - less than 3" of the white stuff, by my humble estimate. Not too bad, I am sure Buffalo got hit harder than us.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #64  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have my gym bag packed, ready to go to the gym...

I went to the doc, doc said I have a bacterial sinus infection and says I shouldn't work out for a couple days. Will my nose ever stop running? I hope so.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #65  
Mel

Sorry you are under the weather, nelie. Feel better soon!

Alena, when we lived in Toronto, listening to the Buffalo weather was major entertainment I think there is ALWAYS a snowstorm in Buffalo! Unfortunately, one is supposed to hit here tonight, with sleet and freezing rain (what is the difference??) after the snow. If it's bad in the morning, I'm may just give up and call in "snowed in". II'm soooo tired of this!

I worked today too- I think I work for the only bank in the US that doesn't close for Presidents' Day, even tho the markets are closed and we can't move money. Still had plenty to do. My big disappointment was that my Crossfit dropped their earliest and latest workouts, which are the only ones I can get to. I always go when I get off the train after work- believe it or not, it is my reward for getting through the day!

So I came home and did my own WOD- 10 rounds of
5 back squats at 135 lbs
10 dips on a bench with my feet elevated
15 sit ups

Never quite the intensity on my own, but a good workout. I hardly ever do back squats anymore so that was way off what I used to do, but incorporated in a WOD, it was plenty!

Mel
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

hmm, I think it was 78 F here today. From ice to spring in a week. And, ah yes, poor Buffalo, having to entertain the Torontonians.

I hope you feel better, Nelie. And I hope the installation report works out Alena. I sold my Toronto house 18 months ago and just recently threw out the report I had done.

I did upper body work today, plus core and abs and 15 minutes of HIIT, which was all I could handle. I went up in weight on face pulls to 110 pounds but most of the others were the same as last week. My triceps really, really feel the tricep extensions, and the weight is at 20 pounds. Tomorrow is total body. I did that most recently on Friday and was not ready for it today, too sore. Those split rows are so tough for me.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #67  

OOOh, those split squats to row! But, it was not as bad as on Friday, so there's some progress.

i do 7 activation, mobility and stretch moves. Then I do a lot of different exercises in this series, but it includes 2 sets of 12 kettlebell swings, with a 32 pound kb; deadlifts, 2 sets of 12 at 132 pounds; 12 squats with a 30 pound sandbag on one shoulder, and 12 with the bag on the other shoulder; plate snatch, 2 sets of 12 at 10 pounds; and a few others.

My form is pretty good except on the split squat to row when I have to work hard to remember to push through the heels and not the balls of my feet.

But, overall, I'm enjoying the pain
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #68  
Workin' It

Rhonda - split squat to row sounds positively hideous. I've got to try them.

Mel - I didn't realize that there were any banks not closed for President's Day.

Alena - how went the audit?

I'm still swinging along, six weeks into my DB circuit run, pretty consistent the last four with getting in three strength workouts per week. Increased my weight and reps this week, probably at my max there. Might be time to start a new workout plan at the beginning of March. Hm.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #69  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Mel, we are supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow and Friday. That's one weather phenomenon I could live happily without.
Audit went well, thanks for asking, although I am getting a lot less moula back than what I hoped for. I was under the impression that the improved insulation in the attic should get me almost 90% return, and it does not. Oh well. I spent total about $7,000 and I will be getting about $2,000 back from the government. Not a whole lot, but definitely better than getting nothing at all!

Mel - do you use Livelink at work?

I went swimming today at lunch - it's much warmer than yesterday, pretty much at zero (C) and sunny - well isn't the pool closed because of some special "aquatic event"? Rats! I wish they kept people with long-term admissions in a mailing list and sent emails to warn us!

So I went grocery shopping (which I planned to do after work) and I got two trays of turkey breast at 30% off. Not too bad. Healthy eating is getting really expensive. I could not believe that heads of romaine lettuce were $3.49 each! (I think they will wilt into oblivion in the produce section - nobody was buying them).

I do need to step up my weight workouts - I have been doing cardio mostly. I need you people to give me big swift kick in the @$$ and tell me that I need to step it up! I am still 15 lbs over what I weighed a year ago and I got horrified when I saw my muffin top last night in a Zumba class. C'mon, I am counting on you, ladies!!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #70  

For Alena:

Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #71  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Alena: Whadda Ya Thinkin'!?

That weight will come off a whole lot quicker with some good old fashioned, anaerobic liftin'....you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. Come on now.

....how was that.

Today was my first workout in two weeks. Yes, I'm still on this delusional painting odyssey. I have the basement 3/4 finished. It's so beautiful. Certainly worth continuing and it just feels so much more like home....in the basement anyway. Ahhh, we'll get there.

That workout was so awesome though. Nothing special. Squats, deadlifts, split squats step ups, cardio and then a yoga class. But I just felt so much weight lifted from my chest. I actually found myself just smiling for no reason...other than post workout bliss. I should really just hire a painter and move on.

I'm throwing caution to the wind and going back for more tomorrow. I'll finish the basement next week.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #72  
Mel

Ah... post-workout bliss! Hire a painter. It's good for the economy and for you You wouldn't want "painters' elbow" to slow you down, would you?

Rhonda- that sound like quite a program. Good for you!

Alena- consider yourself kicked. Pick up something heavy. Put is down. Do it again...and again.... Are you feeling the bliss yet?

My elbow tendinitis is a little too blissed out from power snatches. And I really hate icing body parts in the winter!

Food is good, work is, eh, work and despite my elbow I'm loving my workouts. 1 week from today I will be in frantic last minute packing mode for Breckenridge!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #73  
Workin' It

Throw my butt kicking in there too, Alena. Lift lift lift!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #74  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: Have a great time in Beckenridge. How long is your stay? Funny to think of skiing today, it looks like spring here. When I went into the gym this morning it was pouring rain. After I walked out of the yoga class two hours later it was beautiful! Puffy white clouds and the kind of sun only spring time can deliver. Awesome. Oh, and I have all kinds of crazy bulb popping up all over the place in my back yard. First spring in the new place, looks like it's going to be quite the show if I can get all the leaves raked first.

How's the tendonitits? I feel so awful for you. Chronic injuries or just those that seem to last for a really long time are so difficult to work around. First, it's hard for me just to get it into my head that I need to address the issue and back off in the first place. Case in point the problem with the knee tendon this fall. It had to get to the point where both my knee and the tendons at the insertions of my biceps on both sides began talking to me before I finally permitted myself a rest for several weeks. I know we can modify but I guess the problem I seem to have is modifying the ego at the same time...anyway. Just thinking about you and hoping it heals for you.

Oh! And a first for me today! Okay, this is kind of silly but I've been doing a lot of jump rope work for the past year...on and off, you know when the knee thing wasn't flaring. I can jump rope while turning in a circle. <---- Just like this guy! Yeah, really! Isn't that funny. It's a blast. Looks silly as heck especially when it's a 42 year old woman laughing at herself as she's doing it but none the less not as easy as you might think!

I've also found that my lateral jump roping was much easier today too. I wonder if taking those two weeks off actually improved my ability to do this? It should have been inhibited by the severe DOMS I'm having in my quads and hams from Wednesday.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great Friday and that Kim is enjoying some sun and surf.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #75  

Lydia, doesn't it make some sense that the rest would do good? Doesn't it help in lifting to go down in weight for a break, and then you can lift more

Yes, Mel, I think the total body workout is a good one. And, today, there was noticeable improvement in my split squat to row, both in form and in weight. I also did 2 sets of 12 reps of 132 pounds deadlift. That's the most I've done, and I felt like I could do it again. I moved up on the weight from 30 to 40 pounds of sandbag on my shoulder on the offset squat, and that was a challenge.

Alena, are you lifting yet?