Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/233/140

Height: 5'5

Default I am clueless

I have the cardio down, but what do I do for strength training? I have lost 15lbs and now I am stuck at the same weight, just from the cardio. I want to add in the other, but of course when you walk into a gym there is a million machine and no idea were to start. I can't afford a personal trainer to walk me through my workout a couple times a week, so now I have to figure what I am doing on my own...I need a plan that I can get offline or something that shows me what to do and how to do it...please I need help! I dont want to be over weight anymore and I am getting frustrated and I am losing my motivation. I am busting my butt 4-6 hours a week in Zumba and I dont want to be doing this for nothing... I am not asking to be skinny I just want to lose weight to help my knees, back, sleep apnia, and PCOS! So I am bagging anyone out there. I am finally doing something to change this, please help me buy pointing me in the right direction.:l ifter::
mflaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

Does your gym have group classes? There is a great group weight class at mine and I've seen awesome results. It's part of the membership at mine. Maybe you could look at that. Or, if you have an Iphone or IPod touch there are free apps you can get that give you great workouts just by using your body weight as resistance. Even though you may not be able to afford personal training, your gym might include a introductory session for free or little charge so somebody can show you how to use the machines. Good luck!
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #3  
On a mission

S/C/G: 14/14/7 (sizes)

Height: 5'2

ehow.com has some good articles on beginning weight training.

I usually do 3 sets of 10 to 12 on each of the machines in my gym. I don't load the weight on as I don't want to get bulky. I just do enough that I can feel my muscles working.
You indicated you had problems with your knees (I have a plates in my spine.. i can relate) please be sure to listen to your body.
My cardio instructor says "If it feels weird in a bad way for goodness sake STOP
If it feels weird in a good way....share with the class (forum) "
Good luck
Mindless Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Most gyms allow you to meet with a trainer once for free and at least get a sense of how to use the equipment. Can you see if that's available at your gym?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

There are books that can help you...I'm in the same position right now although I have worked with a trainer in the past, the weight floor just intimidates me....I may meet with a trainer ONCE or twice and ask him/her to make up a program for me to get started. You could also start some light resistance training at home with dumbbells and a DVD.....
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

These two books might help: New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the 100 best exercises for women.

I think the focus on women is mostly marketing, but the exercises and the emphasis on form in these books are good.

Have you also heard about High Intensity Training? You can find good information on the 'net about it. Use the elliptical or the treadmill, and alternate going as fast as you can with a more moderate pace. For example, 30 seconds flat out, then 30 seconds at the moderate pace, for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited by Tejas; 02-28-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I recently posted this for someone who wants to workout at home, but many of these you can do at the gym too. In fact I do. I prefer free weights myself because you end up working muscles you wouldn't otherwise work due to balancing the equipment. Also, many of the machines are really made for men...BIG men. Sometimes the movements are awkward and could lead to injury. I do like the leg extension machine and the leg curl machine though and also the lat pulldown.

Lower body: (try 3 sets of 20 unless otherwise specified)
Squats:
Walking lunges:
wall sits: try 3 sets of 1-3 minutes and build from wherever you are as you get stronger.
Stair climbing: try 3 sets of 3 minutes of walking up and down stairs
Calf raises: Holding 3lb to 10lb dumbbells, raise up on your toes and hold, perform a bicep curl, lower the bicep curl, then lower back down to your heels. Love this one!

Biceps/triceps:
Bicep curls
Hammer curls
tricep: Holding a weight overhead with both hands, keep the elbows close to the ears and lower the and raise the weight behind your head.

Shoulders/back:
Push ups (from your knees, regular, or even against a wall depending on your level)
PEC flys- Lie on a bench (or with your neck on an exercise ball) and perform a PEC fly out to side and back up.
Military press with dumbbells
Lat. raises
Front raises

Abs:
Crunches
Sit ups
Leg lefts- make them harder by holding 10 seconds at the bottom of each move
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

what is your diet lke? how are you trackig your food? fatloss is first and formost about diet. You have to be a caloric deficit. you do NOT have to bust your a** at the gym--- just make POSITIVE you are eating/accurtely trackng every bite lick and taste/...... digital scale is best

And... New rules of lifting for woman is great, although with Knee problems... idk
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

I completely agree with mkroyer as I went from 223lb to 165lb (195lb to 165lb in 4 months) just by dieting alone and not even doing even smallest amount of exercise, not even going for a short walk. I am the same height as you.

Weight lifting is very emportant but in my opinion cardio comes first when you are trying to get the pounds off.
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote