Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I drove on the ice rinks called streets and got to the gym and back. I'm not doing that again until this all melts. I could NOT believe that the city had not sanded the major thoroughfares. More ice predicted for tonight, with temperatures going down to 9F.

I just did some cardio, upper body work and squats, nothing dramatic, but it was work. There was almost no one at the gym: smarter than I was!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #17  
Workin' It

How is everyone doing in the snow and ice today? You guys be careful out there!

Me, I don't need snow and ice to fall down, I manage to trip on my own feet. yesterday I managed to trip next to a storm drain at one of my restaurants, falling in such a way that I punctured the back of my upper thigh on the rebar rake-like edge of the grate. All I could think as I was falling was that if I fell flat on my bottom I would break my tailbone, so I managed to twist just enough to puncture down on the sharp edges. Cleaned it well, bandaged it, tetnus is up to date, I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it needs medical attention. So far it just itches like crazy today, which I'm hoping is a good sign. I did take the morning off from exercise, because I still felt a little jolted and I had an unemployment hearing to go to this morning. Might get it in tonight, might just take today as an off day. I've been pretty good the last two weeks, don't think an extra day off will hurt much.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #18  
Mel

Oh Shannon! That sound dreadful. Be CAREFUL!! Getting hurt dead lifting is so much more dignified

I've had it with winter. Almost had to CRAWL up the sidewalk to the train station yesterday, then the trains were stopping 1 town shy of where my car was parked due to a fallen tree which took out the electrical lines (hydro for Alena). Did I ever tell you my hydro story? When I first moved to Ontario, we lived in what was then a very small town outside of Toronto in an old house. Sometime in the first few weeks that I was there, a guy in a blue uniform knocked on the door and asked whether our hydro was on...there had been complaints in the neighborhood. I ran over to the kitchen sink, turned on the water and told him we had no problem. He left, looking bewildered. OK, you Canadians can explain it!

And having had enough of winter, I think I'm taking tomorrow off and going skiing yup, for real. See if my quads work after all the box jumps I did tonight at Xfit.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #19  
Workin' It

Mel - about you being tired of winter yet taking tomorrow off to ski.

And yes, weight lifting injury stories are so much more fun to share, and do feel more dignified than "I tripped on my shoe and fell". Though, I did expose a flaw in the parking lot that caused a small sinkhole when I made the city replace the storm drain yesterday afternoon, so the fall might not have been all my fault. Or, was for a good cause at least. My story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #20  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Shannon: So glad you didn't break anything!
Mel: Great story! Too funny.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #21  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, everyone.

The sun is shining and it's a lovely temp for skiing. Too bad I have an optometrist's appointment this afternoon. Oh, and a job. That little thing.

Did a full body low-rep, high weight workout yesterday afternoon. It was completely uneventful. No exciting deadlift injuries, or even tripping-over-the-barbell injuries to report. I'll leave it to you to guess which is more common in my world.

Oh, here's something by way of a NSV: I did get asked if I've thought about competing in "figure." Ummm, no, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #22  

oooh, Shannon. I hope you're recovering well.

And, Mel, I was so confused when I moved to Canada. What?, I thought. "Hydro" is electric? Of course, as in "hydro-electric power." But, I never got used to it, and could have done exactly the same thing you did.

We have snow and ice and I cancelled my training appointment. I called the gym, they were open and he was there but the receptionist said "don't risk it."

It is so irritating. This snow in Toronto would not get a second thought. Here, it is dangerous because there has been NO sanding of the streets. The snow cover gives a little traction so some idiots will drive crazily and create havoc. Although our area is flat, there are, of course, a number of hills and slopes in the normally 8 minute drive from my house to the gym. I don't have 4 wheel drive either. Phooey.

Great NSV, Kim. I can see why someone asked you that.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #23  
Mel

Aw, come on Kim! Don't you want to walk around in hooker shoes and wear a bikini on stage?????

My legs still work. I should have driven further to the bigger bumps, but a mediocre couple of hours of skiing is still better than a day at work! At least I know that I remember how to ski
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #24  
Kallos Sthenos

Mel: Glad you had a good time skiing. I'm sure you more than earned a fun day!

Kim: Very nice NSV and I loved your reply. The idea of working for a figure comp just has no appeal for me. None. Mostly for the exact image that Mel suggested. Honestly, I get a bigger charge out of the workout itself. If my motivation were for the results of the workout then I would be so less motivated to walk into the gym. Ah, but it's so fun to look as if you could compete if you cared to do it.

Raining here today and I'm prepping to paint the basement. Is anyone else thawing out this weekend?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #25  

It's above freezing; the ice is melting; I'm going to the gym

I hadn't even thought about the stilleto heels and the strategically-placed bits of day-glo lycra
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #26  
Workin' It

Kim - it totally rocks that you someone things you look ready to compete, but I agree no interest in the actual competition part. Those heels are a b*tch I bet.

Rhonda - glad you are thawing out!

Lydia - good painting to you!

Mel - glad that you enjoyed the skiing.

I'm beginning to see results from my DB circuit and cardio push this month. My weight was down Thursday and my pants feel better. Of course then we went out for dinner Thursday and then again tonight for my MIL's birthday, but at least the high spike from the salt is lower than last month. Leg is feeling better. Still itching like crazy, but the swelling is mostly gone, the bruising is lessened and nothing looks angry so far. I've done a good job of caring for it, I'm pretty proud of myself.

Good weekend everyone!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #27  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

The hooker shoes would be pretty amusing... for the audience. Aside from a pair of pumps I had to wear as part of a bridesmaid's outfit in the 1980s (the shoes were teal, dyed to match the dress -- it was the 1980s, after all), I've never worn more than 1.5" heels. And, given how much of a klutz I am in tennis shoes, I can only imagine how much damage I could do to myself and others in 4" stilettos. Next day's headline: Gruesome Stiletto Accident at Competition Leaves One Paralyzed, Two Blind.

Mel: Now that 90% of my skiing is with The Boy, I don't think I could navigate any bumps, let alone baby ones. Someday, maybe. Glad you had fun!

Shannon: I'm sure the bruise is lovely at this point. Heck, it probably matches my bridesmaid's shoes.

Lydia: I have to admit that some days, I can only get myself to the gym with the vanity carrot. Other days, I want to lift for the sake of lifting, but some days, well, it's the broken pants.

Rhonda: I suppose this means we won't have the Tundra Bowl today?

Hello to everyone else. Have a great Super Bowl Sunday. It's just the three of us today. I'm thinking about making some turkey meatballs to celebrate the occasion and have some snack food (other than veggies) that are reasonably on plan. But, it snowed last night, so the roads are still kinda sloppy so maybe at trip to the store for the necessary ingredients won't happen.

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #28  
Kallos Sthenos

Kim: Hope the melting thaw finds its way to you today. I took a look at your blog this morning...will you please throw that bread away now.

Got the ceiling painted last night. (rough texture, took three times longer than it should have) I'm off to finish the rest of it today so my DS can have their boy cave back. Oh the complaints and it hasn't even been 24 hours! It looks so much better though. I'm even more motivated to get the rest of the house finished. It looks like mine now. : The goal is to push to complete all three levels by the end of the month and then it's back to the gym for serious presummer workouts.

Rhonda: Have a great workout today! Glad your able to get out and about!
Shannon: That must be an awesome routine! Enjoy your time out with family. Good choices are out there it's the family that matters so have fun!

Cheryl: How's the training for the 50 mile run going? This still amazes me.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #29  

Good morning:

You might have heard about the 400 or so people who didn't get into the Super Bowl, and the ice on the roof, etc. Some of us here are quite derisive about the entire enterprise, and call it "Jerry's World." Oh, never mind

Shannon, I was really glad to hear that you are healing.

Last week I was able to bench press 85 pounds, but on Saturday I could do only 65 until my right arm just wouldn't go completely up. I guess that happens.

I lost another pound. I've been working to keep the fat grams at 30, and the protein and carb at 40% each of my daily intake. It's a challenge, but I'm getting there. And, I think it's working.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #30  
Kallos Sthenos

Nice benching Rhonda. I have days like that too when I can bench a higher weight and then the next workout it suddenly become next to impossible. A lot of things can affect this but the first one that comes to mind is to ask if the bench press was placed at the same point in your program as the previous attempt.

Generally, when I'm attempting to reach a goal with a specific exercise I will make that the very first thing I attempt after I've warmed up well enough. If it gets shifted around in the programming then it really isn't the same as comparing apples to apples. Something I did earlier could have worn me out enough to affect my performance. If that's not the case...other things like hydration level, how many carbs did I have or not have, sleep, etc.

Anyway, congrats on the pound lost.