Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #121  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, thanks for the encouragement. I did end up signing him up for it, and he had his first class this afternoon. Unfortunately, no other kids showed up today, but she said there are other kids that normally come to class, and said she would make some calls to make sure they get in there, so he's not by himself.

He wasn't thrilled about going, but was respectful once we got there and seemed to have a good time, did well on his workout.

On the way home, he started laying on the drama and trying to get some sympathy from Mom, maybe work in some bonuses like getting out of math on Crossfit days...um, nope, that wasn't working...so he tried the "angry pre-teen" act on me, sharing his feelings and all, but that didn't work either. He's never chosen a sport for himself, not that he would willingly stick with for more than one or two practices..as soon as it got "hard", then he'd quit and say he just wasn't "into it" any more. We went through that a few times, and I tried letting him find something on his own that he would stick with for more than a week..that just didn't work, even once. I had to learn this lesson the hard way, apparently. This time, I told him, "here's what you're doing, I picked something for you, I paid for it, it's six weeks long, you won't miss a class unless you're dead." So, naturally, he's going to act like it's killing him for at least a week or two, then he'll get over it and he'll forget that he's supposed to be hating on it.

The CF Report follows:
------------

Today's WOD was not the killer I expected. I asked my trainer, and he said he's not planning to deliver any hero workouts on a weekly basis, so I can quit worrying...phew!

Run 400 meters
50 sit-ups
30 push press (75# men/50# women)
Run 800
30 push press
50 sit-ups
Run 400

My time wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but was actually pretty good for me: 18:47/Rx'd. I was in the workout with this guy, Dave, who is a fast runner. I tried to keep up with him, and did pretty well the first 2 runs, but he left me in the dust on the second set of push presses..his time was 15 something. Still, it definitely helped me to finish faster, just TRYING to keep up with him.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #122  
Mel

Oh Cheryl- your pre-teen boy sounds so familiar. They eventually grow up...somewhere around 25 for boys, I think

Yesterday was old fashioned leg day, and ...ta da...clean eats!

Cross fit tonight.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #123  
No description available.

Cheryl, HOW can my son possibly be in two places at once? My older boy is 14 and I'm seeing flashes of maturity and responsibility, but if you would have asked me 2 yrs ago, well, I worried about him a lot.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #124  

Hi Ladies,

Cheryl - I second Mel on the boys. And make sure you keep an eye on the WoW hours he is putting in. At one time my DS was putting in 30 plus hours of WoW per week. While one certainly learns worthwhile skills in WoW, this is too much for my taste. He stopped WoW last year...had to pay for the membership all by himself...about half his monthly allowance, and I'm glad he did.

I put in 1.5 hours yesterday by biking to powerclass. Today will be my first try of doing elliptical while watching TV. I might go upstairs and make that rowing while I watch TV.

Also the first results of my bloodtest came through: Hb 7.3, which is low but OK for me (hereditary blood condition), cholesterol was high but not extremely so. I'll hear about the sugar and tyroid next week.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #125  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Thanks, ladies, for the support and giving me hope for the boy! (lol)

I could not sleep last night, and ended up sleeping right through my alarms this morning. I should already be at the gym, but I've got to wait for dogs to do their thing outside. If it gets too late, I'll just have to skip the gym this morning. Hoping not to have to do that, since it's likely a heavy lifting day, my favorite of the week! Anyway, I just thought I'd check in here while I drank my tea.

Mel, congrats on the clean eats! The first day is always the toughest for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #126  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone.

Count me in on the horrible food for the last few days group. I have discovered that DH & I are both stress ice cream eaters. The weather yesterday pushed us both the the edge, so we ended up with ice cream. This is after the stress related ice cream of Friday as well. I have to start saying no. Or learn to portion out the small cartons instead of eating the entire thing...

No workouts this weekend, things were pretty busy with DSS & visiting my dad. His hernia repair went well and he actually got up and went back to work yesterday. I think that was a little silly, personally. I did get in a good workout yesterday, the same one I did Friday from my Woman's Health magazine. Did it right this time though. It is a little longer than I want - 4 sets of 'power duo' exercises with dumbbells or exercise ball, two per card that are supposed to compliment each other. You are supposed to do 2 sets of each duo with a short rest between each one. Took me about 45 minutes and I've been trying to keep to 25-30. Might cut out one of the pairs and see what happens. The exercises themselves were pretty neat.

My new fitness equipment is delivering in pieces from various shippers - some came yesterday, the rest should come today via two different freight carriers. Ships in 7 separate boxes... No idea when we will get it assembled... ETA - the piece that was left off the truck yesterday just got delivered, so 3 of 7 so far. Just waiting on Old Dominion to call for the last four. This has been an ordeal. Didn't help that I was trying to receive freight deliveries during a flood yesterday... the UPS driver called at 10 am to say she was on the way, the rain kicked in hard again, a different driver finally arrived around 9 pm... At least it got me home though, if I had stayed at work all day I would have gotten stuck in the closed roads and terrible traffic, plus wouldn't have caught the fact that water was leaking under my door.

Elisa - great pic!

Cheryl - cool on getting your son in the crossfit!

Rabbit - Nice job on the biking!

Mel - sending you positive vibes for continuing the clean eating and getting back on track! I'm noticing my laser on point eating is fading as well... Have to get back to that for a while.

Lydia - that leg workout sounds great!

Good day everyone!
ended up being about 1:30, stress added to the length I think. Wasn't moving as efficiently as I could have, plus the exercises were new.
30 second jump rope
Combo moves workut from Women's Helath:
1) DB deadlift + bent over row & pike + pushup on ball
2) DB thruster & pushup row (and that one was ugly)
3) sumo squat + curl & row + back extension
4) step up + single arm press & dumbell press + core roll
30 second jump rope
40 crunches on the ball
5.5 miles on the stationary bike

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-22-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #127  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Shannon, that's a good workout! Sorry to hear about the flooding...glad you were there to catch it in time!

The CF Report follows:
-----------------

Well, I called my trainer to see if I could come in late and still have time to work out. He said come on in, so I did. Then, I was sorry, as soon as I saw the workout! It was like, "let's take every exercise Cheryl sucks at and make it into a workout!"

21-15-9 reps of:
Double Unders (or sub 5x single under jumprope)
Wall Ball (20#m/14#w)
Pull-ups

It wasn't a good workout for me. TOM is due any day, and the past year or so I've been PMSing or something..it's like the brain overreacts to any little stressor and it just makes me bust out crying. It's so embarrassing, and frustrating, even though I know what it is, and know I'm overreacting. So, anyway, today I just felt like crying about halfway through the first set of wallballs, and just had to fight the whole time to stay calm, take deep breaths, just get through it. It felt like it took forever, even though it was only 15 minutes. As soon as it was over, I just grabbed my stuff and got out, since I knew I couldn't control it much longer. I cried all the way home, and forgot to do the shopping, which made me cry again, then I was just laughing at how stupid it was, to cry because I forgot to buy ketchup and toilet paper. I'm like a junkie, 3 days out...weee! Can't wait to see how the fence building project is going to proceed today...can I call in "mental"?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #128  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Dang! I keep forgetting to tell you guys the good news. My trainer and another guy at our gym will be starting up a new seminar soon, for how to do Strongman, and specifically, how to do strongman training along with crossfit. I told him to sign me up for the first one! I think it will be great.

Also, yesterday, I met one of the new guys at our gym. He is a powerlifter, which is the sport with bench press, deadlift and back squats. Anyway, it was just interesting to talk to him and learn some about that sport. He's got an injured back right now, but is scheduled for surgery to fix it, so maybe when he gets back to training, I will learn something more about that. Maybe he will know some tricks for helping me get my lifts up where they need to be for strongman, plus I'd love to get some bigger numbers on my deadlift.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #129  
Working My Way Back Down

So I forgot I had a meeting last night, so the gym got passed over. I set the alarm and was there when it opened at 5:30 am. New set of exercises starting this week. Another, "let's suck Pat in and let her think it's easy" thing. I know how to do all the exercises, and there are only 5 of them.

Warm- up (I did 10 minutes of bike, 50 light weight leg presses, and a couple of physical therapy exercises)
Then do these as a circuit:
1. Bar or DB deadlifts 5x8
2. bent-over alternating DB rows, 5x8
3. DB or KB swing, 5x10
4. T-push-ups, 5x4
• Start as for a pushup, arms straight, with hands resting on dumbbells
• Perform a regular pushup
• After you have pressed up, turn body to face the side, raise straight arm overhead
• Finish with hand pointing at ceiling
Repeat but turning the body to the other side
5. Mountain climber, 5x24
• Begin in a pushup position
• Kick right knee forward, landing with sole of right foot under the torso
• Keep left leg straight
• Immediately kick right knee back and switch legs in midair

and the prescribed rest is 15-30 seconds between each..

I'm sitting here hurting.....

Last edited by WaterRat; 09-22-2009 at 02:36 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #130  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Ooh, Pat, I was having sympathy pains just reading about that workout! WTG! That's a great program you've got there!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #131  
Workin' It

Pat - ouch. I've done the side plank with the arm extended up in yoga routines before and it is harsh. I can't imagine putting it in a set of pushups. So is one rep both sides?

What is the benefit of a pushup done with the hands on dumbbells? One of my exercises from stumptuous has db burpees, one of the ones I did today was a 'pushup row' that had a plank position with hands on dumbbells and you alternate arms on the row, now Pat's on dumbbells. Is it because it elevates you up a little?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-22-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #132  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon, I don't know the benefit, but I know it hurts my wrists! I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist, and still have CT in my left, so that position is not good for me. Since I'm not very good with "regular" pushups, I do this from my knees - without DB - or using the bar in the aerobics room. The latter is better for the plank part. And yes 1 rep is pushup-plank-pushup-plank. I was dripping before I finished the first set.... We did that row one on the last phase. I just had the DBs beside me and grabbed them for the row. At least today my knees were happy not doing endless squats.

Oh, and since I've been back a week I figured the airplane-water-weight was gone, so I weighed myself and I was down 2 lbs from when I left on vacation!

Last edited by WaterRat; 09-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I'm not sure what training effect they were looking for, but in the case of T-pushups and renegade rows, it allows you to load the rotation or row part of the exercise.

For people with shoulder issues, the neutral grip is usually more comfortable and usually doesn't further aggravate the issue.

What I like most about using dumbells for even normal pushups, especially for someone who has form issues on pushups, is that it is easier to learn and/or remember to pull yourself down to the ground under control. You basically should be rowing yourself to the ground and pushing yourself away. Too often people basically catch themselves as they let gravity bring them to the ground. This causes themselves to break form and lose tightness, especially in the shoulder girdle.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #134  
Mel

Depalma!

I'm HURTIN!

CF workout: (done in teams of 2- each person does half of the exercises, both do the runs together)
run 200 meters
100 box jumps
run 200 meters
100 burpees (boy, that was fun)
run 200 meters
100 wall balls
run 200 meters
100 sit ups
run 200 meters

My partner was a 17 year old girl who has been doing CF as part of her off season lacrosse training. She was good on the box jumps and runs, but we had to break the burpees into sets of 5 for her. We finished in the middle of the pack. I have to admit great glee when I'm stronger/faster than a 17 yr old.

Day 2 clean eats.

The first couple of days aren't hard for me, it is sustaining it forever that is hard!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #135  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Nice closing line, Mel! I'll have to remember that one! I was SO tempted today to eat something quick and easy, but I stuck to my food plan all day.. phew!

Depalma, great to hear from you!