Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #151  

Congratulations sacha!

Thnx to all of you for the encouragement!.

Pat - great picture in the avatar! I literally cannot imagine so much open space without apparent traces of human occupancy. I think we are in the top 3 of most populated countries in the world...our "nature" is managed: we have planted woods, and designated trails in nature areas. The open spaces in the picture lookvery pretty!

Cheryl - good to hear your boy is taking to crossfit. I googled a picture of the big axle..sure looks big! Mel, I guess I would have problems gripping that as well, I take size 3.5 in gloves and usually I get them in the childrens department.

It looks like the new modus operandi is working: the scale showed a 2 lb loss yesterday and this held out today. I'm still in the early stages of the Venuto book, but I find it quite motivational, and I find that it works for me sofar to give myself a workout budget and a calorie budget. I keep thinking of ways to fill my workout minutes budget, and counting not to go over the food budget, and that makes it easier for me on a day to day basis.

I stll ache from yesterdays workouts, so I'll get in an easy 30 mins of cardio: bike to the store for groceries instead of taking the car. The weather is gorgeous today: bright and sunny and with a hint of autumn in the air.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 09-25-2009 at 04:53 AM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #152  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Congrats, sacha!

I think the electricians are leaving today. I'll spare you the details but now we are safe.

I've had ITB issues following the bouldering session in the photo I posted. Grim. Did a bit of cardio yesterday and today with a lot of stretching. Back to inside weights next week. Outside weights over the weekend, I'm sure, with slate to be moved.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #153  
No description available.

Congrats, Sacha!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #154  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Birch, I was doing the outdoor lifting last night: pulling old wire mesh fencing, that was overgrown with grass and brambles, then putting it up at my sister's new place. Today it will be the outdoor shoulder workout: weedwacking. Hope you are feeling better today!

Rabbit, congrats on the weight loss!

Don't have time to reply to all, but I did read all the posts! I've got to run out the door soon. We're doing some gardening for a lady on my sister's mail delivery route, who can't take care of it herself these days, so we're hoping to cheer her up...she loves her garden, my sister says. CFKids this afternoon for the boy, and I'm doing the afternoon workout after that, since I couldn't make it this morning. Take care, all!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #155  
Working My Way Back Down

Busy group we are! Last night my square dance group had been invited to an elementary school family fun dance night to do a demo and some "teaching" of square dancing. OMG - the kids! Now to be fair, I'm seldom around large numbers of small children (these were about 150 kids, babies through about 10 or 12, plus adults). The noise and activity level was very high and my hats are off to the people who deal with these kids on a daily basis. I did get in quite a bit of activity, both square dancing and doing some other line type dancing they were doing. I was, however, very glad to get back to the quiet of my own little world.

No formal exercise today. We have our regular square dancing tonight, and then tomorrow night we're demo-ing/teaching at an autumn festival at a small town about 10 miles north of here - at least it's adults.

Cheryl - I could keep you busy on yard chores! My lawn needs to be de-leafed again, so that'll be tomorrow's project. DH has a teenaged boy lined up to help him cut firewood, and he'll also finish cleaning out the garden. It's warmer today - overcast so no frost - but the weather has definitely moved to fall.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #156  
Working My Way Back Down

Default The Dreaded Ball Jacknife Pike

Okay, this exercise is following me around, I swear! It's part of NRLW, and now here comes as an alternative to one of the exercises in this phase of PN! This is however, one of the better examples of how to do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIx4J...layer_embedded

So these are today's exercises, though I'll be doing them tomorrow. The jacknife is in place of the BB rollout, since one of the gals didn't have the BB equipment necessary to make it roll.

Having a very quiet day at work. My budget presentation yesterday got postponed til Monday - after I hung around for a couple of hours getting more and more nervous. Now I'm resisting the urge to review and tweak them - I must resist. All the copies are made, etc.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #157  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Pat, step away from the budget! Enjoy your weekend!

I've never done the BB roll-out...thanks for the reminder...I should try that. I think I'll wait until our abmat sit-up challenge is over, though. Some friends and I are doing a 30 day challenge. We started with 5 abmat sit-ups the first day, and are adding 5 reps a day for 30 days. Today was day 6, so I did 30 of them. This could get ugly pretty quickly, lol!

Wow, Pat, I just looked at the reps/sets scheme on that workout. If there was no rest, that would be like the CF workout of doom! Still, 5 rounds, and AMRAP on the last three exercises every round?

Sacha, I meant to say to you earlier, but had to run out. Woohoo!!! Go CF mom! And, BTW, you could scale that further if you've never done CF workouts before. Keep the reps, but use a lighter ball, and/or do some variation of assisted pull-ups if you can't do that many unassisted ones.

The CF report follows... good night, peeps!
---------------------

OMG, my trainer tried to kill us today! It probably wouldn't have felt quite so evil if I hadn't done 3-1/2 hours of weedwacking immediately before this workout.

Run 200 meters with 50# sandbag
21 Clean and Jerk (115# men/80# women)
3 rope climbs (14' rope, I think)
Run with sandbag
15 Clean and Jerk
2 rope climbs
Run with sandbag
9 Clean and Jerk
1 rope climb

I knew I couldn't do that many rope climbs, but as it turned out, I couldn't even do one today. My shoulders were toast after the weedwacking job, legs were jelly from the sandbag run, so I ended up subbing 21-15-9 reps of pull-ups for the rope climbs, after multiple failed attempts at getting up the rope in round 1.

My time was 22:28, with a 50# sandbag, 65# for clean and jerk, and a pink band for the pull-ups. If I could do the stupid rope climbs, I could have done this one Rx'd for the clean and jerks, but since I knew I wouldn't get the ropes, I decided NOT to kill myself today, and went with the lighter weight. Even that seemed heavy, though!

Tomorrow my trainer is away to a strongman competition. The sub trainer was joking about doing a "burpee fight gone bad", like burpee wallball, burpee tire jumps, etc. I don't think he'll really do it, but it would be a suckfest and even though I hate burpees, I'd be game to give it a try! CF messes with your head like that.

Mel, speaking of FGB, how did your workout go?

Last edited by jamsk8r; 09-26-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #158  

Wow cheryl, even looking at that workout amazes me. I cannot contemplate myself running 200m with a 50# sandbag, and I'm still working on getting 1 decent pullup in. Power class at the gym is more for endurance.

Pat - kudos on the workout. like cheryl said.

I've just put in a 30 mins run, and I'm at 5 hours for this week. This afternoon I've got weights-at-home sceduled, tomorrow watching a miss marple episode while on the rowing machine.

Personal record for my run is that I managed to put in some episodes of 8 km/hr, so I'm working my way up.

Still busy in the Tom Venuto book, the motivational and change stuff is really interesting. Seems that it takes only weeks to reprogram, which is in line with my experience. I've got 1 week under my belt, and finishing the 2nd. Key for me is that my wod does not need to be stellar jusat as long as i get it in and adhere to my food budget.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
Old 09-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #159  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Rabbit, your new plan and dedication have been helpful to me, this past week. I've been struggling with my focus when it comes to eating clean and just getting these last few pounds off. Seeing how you've really dialed in on some specific steps you can take, and your results, well, that's helping me keep it in perspective this week!

Okay, one more workout from heck, and I get a rest day. Just. One. More. (shuffle...drag....) Alright, this is me, getting off my sore butt and going to the gym...
Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #160  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Wow, Pat, I just looked at the reps/sets scheme on that workout. If there was no rest, that would be like the CF workout of doom! Still, 5 rounds, and AMRAP on the last three exercises every round?
Yes, but in my case AMRAP for reverse pushups is, um, maybe 1? I actually didn't do this yet. Developed a major headache last night and it's still around this morning. I'm thinking I'll declare today a rest and then - now that the gym is open on SUndays, yay! - I'll go right from church tomorrow and do it. (Gym times are 10-4 on Sundays, else I'd go early)

Quote:
Rabbit, your new plan and dedication have been helpful to me, this past week. I've been struggling with my focus when it comes to eating clean and just getting these last few pounds off. Seeing how you've really dialed in on some specific steps you can take, and your results, well, that's helping me keep it in perspective this week!
This must be going around! I had an awful week, eating wise. I'm going to sit down in a bit and make a plan for the week, and a grocery list. I need to get my eating back in control.

It's cold and rainy here, but DH is out cleaning up the garden, and just told me he intends to take down the old fence today. That means I need to suit up and go out and dig up my prennials that are planted by the it. The new fence will be outside where the old fence is, and I can can replant them, but they need to spend the winter elsewhere.

Rabbit - I just got a brochure for a lovely looking cruise around the Netherlands and Belgium during tulip season in April. Too bad it's over $5,000 with the airfare from Alaska. I'd love to see it some time.

Okay, off to put clothes in the dryer and dig flowers.....
Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #161  
Workin' It

Hello all! I've been MIA from this thread for a few days,but have been exercising! I promise! I've done better with the eating this week, watching Mel & Rabbit has helped me, too! We did go out to dinner last night, where I had three shrimp tacos, but I had 850 cals left for the day so don't think I went too far over.

Thursday I pieced together a workout from various sources, Friday I did floor cleaning & lawn mowing cardio, today I did the WH 'fit in your jeans' workout again.

It is raining here again - the rivers had gone down some, but we were only an inch or so away from flooding again in some places.... Hope the rain stops soon...

Time to fix spaghetti for DH & DSS, back to reply and post specific workout info later. to all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #162  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Hey Shannon, . I hope you get a break from the rain/flooding soon!

Pat, that's my problem, too, food. I don't have a problem with the food itself, I'll eat anything when I'm hungry, but when I'm constantly gone from home, just stopping in long enough to change work clothes, or flop into bed, well, that's when I get in trouble, because I come home starving and want something right now, but nothing is cooked or thawed out, so I cop out sometimes and just grab take-out or something carby that's ready to eat. Also, lately, I'm craving some more variety in my foods, but that may just be the carbs talking, I'm not sure. I've been eating just the same few things for the past six months or so, so maybe some variety wouldn't hurt, as long as it's good choices, not something I can binge on. I can't really do nuts, or yogurt, because I just end up eating more in a day than I should. So, I'm done with the gym for the week and home for a whole day and a half, so I'm going to make a plan, as well. I need a plan for food: some new choices in my menu, and I think I need to cook ahead now for a whole week, and put some in the freezer, so it will last. Yeah, that will help a lot!

The CF workout report is below. Later, peeps!
--------------

Today's group warm-up:
5x of Row 100 meter sprint, record best time
(my best was 20.5 seconds...these were kinda fun, but after this "warm-up", I had to rest before the workout, lol)

Today's WOD:
AMRAP in 15 mins of:
12 AbMat Sit-ups
10 Burpee-Wall Balls (squat, throw the ball, catch the ball, burpee with hands on ball, repeat)
8 Pull-ups

My buddy Bear was there today, which always helps me to dig a little deeper and push harder in the workout than I would on my own. I got 6 rounds, plus 11 sit-ups today. Longest fifteen minutes of my life. Well, this week, anyway!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #163  
Working My Way Back Down

Ouch, Cheryl, I'm worn out reading! I can't do burpees - yet. Too hard to get up with my knees.

I got the flowers all relocated to a place to spend the winter, and then of course it stopped raining. In the afternoon I went off to a friend's house. Her mom (in her 80's) is visiting and my friend invited 3 of us to come and brainstorm Christmas ideas. It was fun to get together and share some ideas. We just had little snacky stuff: raw veggies, fruit, and tea. Of course we discussed a lot of food. After all it was for the holidays.

Tonight DH and I went off to a nearby small town's first attempt at a barn dance event. It was set up in a large tent with a small dance floor. Very cute decorations. THey had the food under another wall-less tent, and there was plenty, including a whole roasted pig! What they didn't allow for was the fact that it's the end of Sept, and as soon as the sun goes down, it gets cold, like in the low 40's! Our square dance group did 2 sets of dances between the band (a good CW group) and DH and I left as we were cold. They did finally get some heaters in the tent near the band. Their hands were getting too cold to play. If they'd held the event a month earlier it would have been great. It was good for a first attempt, though. Now I've finished folding laundry and making some corn muffins for a potluck at church tomorrow, and I'm ready to turn in and read for a bit.

Wow - I read this and it was a pretty active rest day....
Old 09-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #164  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

From bed, early on Sunday morning. Quick post re food & drink. Cheryl, I've got a new idea for those days I seem to be on tour. I'm now packing lots of drink: water (of course) but also coffee, skimmed milk & weak tea. Every time I stop the car I don't leap out immediately
& get going. I pause, breathe & pour a drink. It seems to be working a bit as I'm not eating so desperately during the day. I am like a pack pony when I leave in the am. Next challenge is to eat a good tea & not succumb to supper out of stress. We are slowly getting the house back, tho', so that helps.

Have a good Sunday.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #165  

Hi ladies,

Birch, so good to see you post! I would have, from my bed, with the double espressso...but DD has hijacked my netbook & I'm using my work-beast instead. Very dangerous to use that in the weekend as I am always tempered to go to work if I open it.

Cheryl. Pat - You make me :, and I actually consider you both the motivators to keep plugging away.

I did 20 mins elliptical in front of the TV yesterday evening, 30 mins weights this morning, and just finished a miss marple episode on the rowing machine...Yay!! I've made my goal for this week!

Tomorrow its biking to work again, and power class in the evening.

Pat - I cannot imagine how cold it must be in Alaska! We'll having an uncommon good weekend...sunny and 21 C.

Shannon- how are you doing? Glad you feel better. I hope you won't flood.

have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 09-27-2009 at 08:38 AM.