Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #136  
Workin' It

Depalma - thanks for the info!

Cheryl - somehow I missed two of your posts yesterday... The strongman-crossfit classes sound pretty neat. Hormones are crazy things, aren't they? I've started having hot flashes lately. Doesn't make me very happy. Hope you have a better day today!

Mel - being better than the 17 year old partner is always good!

Pat - I know it felt good to sew the scale move down after your trip!

I did another Women's Health workout yesterday and am pretty sore today. I have to admit, I didn't expect what looked like a simple workout from a magazine to wipe me out! I'll post the link to it when I get to work. Can't figure out the copy and paste on the iPhone yet. I'm waiting at home right now for the cable company - phone, cable and Internet all out.

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Some great workouts, ladies!

I haven't posted in a bit but I have been consistent with my workouts and eating on plan.

I did a 50% deload on all my lifts so I haven't been recording them here (they are still in my journal, of course). I went down to 50lb squats and will be up to 100lbs today.

Haven't been sleeping well or feeling that great lately. I am also a few days late Might be heading to Crossfitmom.com soon, we've been trying for several months I don't know, though. I shouldn't get my hopes up!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #138  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: We are raising the same kind of sons. Guilt guilt and more of it. Hopefully he will come to enjoy the CrossFit community and other kids will show up too!

Are you feeling better today? We all hate those hormonal shifts when they occur. Sometimes are better than others but every once in a while it can be a bad one. The best part is that by this time we KNOW what it is and can give ourselves a little space until it passes. Bummer about your workout though. Hopefully you will get a heavy session in soon to make you feel better.

Speakin' of which, yesterday DH was in town and asked to go to the gym with me. I had him spot me with my bench press which has been suffering a lot this summer. I wish I were better at this...anyway, as a result I was able to eek out four or five reps at 115lbs. That's just about 10 pounds less than my bodyweight so...it's coming. Must. Get. Stronger.

I also attempted the KTEs today. That's all I'm gonna say. Okay. It' wasn't too bad. I was able to get the knees to about 3/4 of the way to my elbows. Almost. I think there is a swing/kipping movement I'm missing here. I'll keep working on it though. It was kind of fun. Like the opposite movement of the pullup

Other than that, it was leg day today. I went a little lighter today than a couple of days ago. Legs Lite. But I was still a little wobbly walking out so it must have been effective.

Oh, and about the pushups. One of the things I've noticed about using dumb bells or even med balls for that matter is that I can get more depth at the bottom as well. I think it's a great feeling to have something to push up from as well.

Sacha: Hope all is going well and that we'll be getting Crossfitmom reports from you soon too.

Mel: Hope you had a nice clean eats day. I passed up the pretzel bag today in the grocery but the kiddos frosted mini wheats got me when I got home. Must have been those KTE that required a little extra carbs right.

Shannon: Sounds like you are feeling better!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #139  
Workin' It

Women's Health Workout
Here is the link to my workout yesterday. It says to do 2-3 sets of each exercise move with some rest in between each one, most of them say 6-12 reps depending on the exercise. Took me about 40 minutes and I only did 2 of each. I looked at the online site today and see that this is under the '15 minute workout' section! WTH! There is no way I could have done all of that in 15 minutes!

Sacha - I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Crossfitmom!

Lydia - definitely the KTE calling for carbs. Absolutely.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #140  
Working My Way Back Down

Great lower body workout, but 15 minutes?! No way. I'm surprised you got 2 rounds in 40 minutes.

It's COLD at my house today. It was 26 when I got up! Brrrr. And there's funny white stuff on the higher elevations. Sigh. It happens every year.

Tonight's workout is cardio - boring but necessary. DH is still gone, so at least I have no one home waiting for dinner. I find that early morning works well for lifting, but I don't do nearly as well with cardio then, hence the after work session.

Lydia - step away from the cereal! Glad to hear that DH is home for a bit. And high five on the 110 lbs!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #141  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Shannon and Lydia, thanks for the . Sorry about being crazy yesterday! I'm feeling much more normal today. Also, I called the trainer, and she said there's at least one other boy my son's age showing up today...they had played together at the strongman competition in August, so the kids' class should be more fun for my boy today. I think he's secretly looking forward to it, since he was speculating on what tortures his trainer would have in store for today's workout. He was amazed that his <4 minute workout on Monday made him so sore.

Mel, congrats on beating the 17 year old. One of the best females at our gym is 45, and there's one lady who is in her fifties that is really strong, so that gives me hope that I can continue to improve, too.

Shannon, I agree...I don't think anybody could do that in under 15 mins..must be just misfiled...?

Lydia, I haven't done any bench press since starting at the CF gym. If we ever do it, I'll be interested to see what it is. I think my previous best was 90 lbs, without a spotter. I might be more brave if I had a good spotter! WTG with the 115!!!! This is for the cereal.. (lol)

Sacha, ! I hope you're cooking us a baby!

Pat, how are you liking the new workouts this round? About the weather, I WISH it would cool down here, already! We had some teaser "fall" weather, then it went right back to summer. My dogs and I are ready to bust out the scooter and harnesses, dangit!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #142  
Working My Way Back Down

This is what's up for tomorrow. (I'm a day behind this week due to taking Monday off.) Again, nothing new, but I'm sure it'll They've told us that we now have plenty of gym experience, and it's time to take it up a notch. I'm plenty sore from yesterday, and will be just feeling better in time to go do it to myself again.....

Glad you're feeling better Cheryl. I'm past those wild hormonal swings (pretty much) and don't miss them. Hope your boy has a good experience today.

Oh, a crossfit baby, Sacha. for you.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #143  

Hi ladies,

Glad to see you all in good shape!
i've recommitted, and i'm busy in Tom Venuto's book. The prevous modus operandy did not work out so time to change tings around and get some weight off.

No workout yesterday: It was my monthly visit to the development department I'm working for...in total I drove 5.5 hours, and the meeting was another 4 hours. I was beat. To compensate, I'm not going into work today. just some reading at home and I'm going to put some more time into getting a gym setup for DS and myself in the house.

Planned workout today is 1 hr cardio when DD is at danceclass at the gym, but I'll have to fit in another to make up for yesterday, or think of something tomorrow. ETA: put in 45 mins of lifting & bw exercises at home. This is the first time in a couple of months to put in a workout at home. I was dripping after 20 mins, and I'm beat but feeling glorious right now. Cearly long overdue, and surprisingly hassle free with all the equipment sitting right outside my bedroom door. ETA2: 1 hr cardio done

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 09-24-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: edit workout status
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #144  
Workin' It

I went to a crazy place in my head yesterday and ended up not exercising. Picked DSS up from daycare, went home, fixed dinner, had every intention of exercising while he & DH were taking care of bath time. Went to put in the new light bulb in the touch lamp next to DSS's bed - failure. Bulb overheated, wouldn't shut off, burned me trying to get the bulb out. I immediately went into 'have to got to the store and get a new lamp right now' mode. At 7:00 pm in still partially flooded Atlanta with closed roads around my house and on my travel path to Target. Didn't get back home until after 8 at which point I was worn out and went to bed. I have no idea why I got so focused in on that stupid lamp, but I was at the point where I had to get it done right that minute, no matter how unwise an idea it was to get back out into traffic. I could barely hold my eyes open when I got home - figure I used all my energy on the crazy. Don't know what happened.

Pat - I wish it was cold here today, or at least cool! We are back up to 80's and humid. I have a hard time doing cardio in the morning, too - it is a fight every time...

Cheryl - hope crossfit went better for the boy yesterday! Glad you are feeling more normal, too!

rabbit - on the workout yesterday!

Good day everyone!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #145  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, Shannon, I managed to blow the cardio off in the evening as well. It was the second evening of DH's mini-camping trip and I decided I needed to kick back.... Then he came home a 9 pm anyway. I did get up and do the workout posted above this morning. It was not nearly as bad as Tuesday's. I feel like I worked out, but not like I need to go back to bed.

Good work Rabbit - we'll drag you kicking and screaming back into workouts ...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #146  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Pat, what's the new avatar a picture of? Looks pretty! We've got some cloud cover and cooler weather this morning, so maybe some of your cool weather is headed south.

Shannon, maybe craziness is contagious over the 3FC, too, and you got it from me! Sorry to hear that you got burned. Hope it wasn't a bad one. My boy did have a good time at his CFK class last night, even though the other boy didn't show. His trainer let him give me skin-the-cats on the rings, if he could swing on the rope and land on a bumper plate without touching the floor, so that made it fun for him. We stayed after, and I actually did the heavy deadlifts workout again (had already done it in the morning), because my 14 y.o. buddy was there, and he wanted me to battle with him on fat bar (strongman axle) deadlifts. Anyway, the two boys had fun hanging out and playing for about an hour after that. We'll see him again on Friday, so my boy is looking forward to it a little more, I hope.

Rabbit, good job on the workouts!

Today's CF workout:
Run 800 meters
30 Snatches (power or squat, 95# men/65# women)
Run 800 meters

Ooh, I hate that 800 meter distance! My time was 14:10, using 45# today. Could have gone heavier, but not by much, and I wanted to keep it light enough that I could keep good form all the way through. I'm still not really smooth with this lift, but it's a fun one to do, IMO.

Well, I'd better eat my lunch, cook up some turkey for the next few days, then I'm off to do more on the fence building job today.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Crossfitmom it is for me I'm one month pregnant (I was suspicious but four positive tests including the doctor confirmed!)

Here it is:
http://www.crossfitmom.com/

An example of yesterday's workout:
Advanced
21-15-9
Wall ball #10-12
Pull ups

LOL is that supposed to be modified? Haha. I look forward to it.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #148  
Workin' It

Congratulations Sacha!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #149  
Working My Way Back Down

Ohh, congrats Sacha! I take it this is your first?

Cheryl - the photo was taken on the Noatak River in the Gates of the Arctic National Park waaayyy up north. My DH did a 10 day canoe trip there in summer 2008. In fact he's the person you can see fishing in the photo. It's a lovely remote place.

Hmmm, I'm feeling those cable chops from this morning. I probably went a little light on the weight, but my sides are noticing. I was having the "walk and chew gum" syndrome on the lunges with the contra-lateral push though. I did get into a rhythm in a couple of sets, but otherwise I had to think all the time which hand/foot I was on. Maybe it's just because it's early??
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #150  
Mel

Congratulations, Sacha!!!!!! May you have an active, healthy pregnancy and baby!

The clean eats train is still rolling. I have a girls' night out party (actually a bachelorette party for an "older" bride) tomorrow night, so that will be cheat meal #1 of the weekend. But before I head to the restaurant, I'll be doing a fundraiser Crossfit workout called Fight Gone Bad. Crossfits all around the country (world?) are doing it Saturday morning and mine has added a Friday evening session for those who can't make it on Saturday. It benefits research for prostate caner, and the Wounder Warrior Project. Which is what I'll be after the workout!

Cheryl- I have really hard time holding that axle. I used to use it for deadlifts and buddy curls.

Lydia- great job on the benches!

Pat- I love that picture. You may have premature winter, but it sure is pretty.

Shannon, your story made me laugh. That's the kind of obsessive thing I might do. Glad you made the trip safely. The flooding looked horrible.

Hi Rabbit! Good to hear that you are back on board.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote