Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Last night I did 25 minutes on the elliptical using my weighted boxing hand weights (its like a glove but has a weight in it). I did various jabs as I ellipticalled. My arms got sore and I had to take breaks but then I just moved my arms as if I was running.

This morning I did 40 pushups and 40 pullups so I'm up to 80/80.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #32  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Drat!
My coworker, who sits less than 2 yards from me (we share the same side of our dog bone workstation) just arrived for his afternoon shift and he brought with himself not one but TWO slices of and already inhaled one.

I am dying a slow death here!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #33  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quick - picture yourself taking that pizza and shoving it all over his face.. or picture that pizza as extra padding on your booty!! You KNOW if you ate that slimy greasy thing you would feel completely awful and be in a grease-induced coma-like nightmare.

Hmm.. stand up a file folder so you don't have to look at it. LOL
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #34  
Workin' It

HotWings - love the new name! And, the line in your sig made me laugh!

Alena - good idea from HotWings to stand up a folder to block the view of the pizza, but what about the smell? That cheesy smell is what kills me! Open a bottle of white out and stand it by the folder maybe?

Nelie - where did you get the weighted gloves? That sound like a great idea - I do a lot of jabs and punches while walking on the elliptical at lower resistance settings myself, and have thought about hand weights.

Elisa - yummy... raspberries... I eat them a lot on cereal, or frozen in smoothies, so if the jelly idea doesn't take off maybe freeze them for smoothie and yogurt toppings all winter?

Midwife - nice job on the pushups!

Mel - hope you find yourself more sore after your CF workout!

Birch - high five on the early gym session!

Cheryl - sorry about the missed workout, but I'm sure the extra money will be nice! Good luck with today's metcon makeup!

Got my workout in yesterday afternoon - 60 pullups in my circuit. No pushups in this one. Got up on time this morning so got in some cardio before work, though my legs weren't loving the treadmill today. I added in the jumping-squat-tuck whatever it was called exercise from Pat, 1 set at the beginning, one after 3 rounds of dumbbell sets, 1 at the end. The legs were hating me after that!

Good day to everyone else!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #35  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Wingo: So like you think you get to choose your own name in this forum. Nope. I think that Alena selecting a great name for you. So Wingo it is.

Alena: You are too important to feed your body pizza or anything else that is convenient and loaded with sugar/fat/salt. If we allow ourselves to do what is easy or tempting most days we don't get to enjoy the pleasures of learning what our bodies can do when it is strong, lean and healthy!

Oh, and refinished hardwood floors. How wonderful. I would love to do that too. I found a really great product that I use on my floors instead called I think Orange Glo but it doesn't remove scratches like sanding it does. Anyway, good luck with cramming your entire home into the basement. Seriously, good luck with that.

Cheryl: I so envy your mechanical aptitude. I need to learn how to do some of this stuff. I think I just thought of a new business for you. Seriously Cheryl, why don't you offer a service where you teach people how to do this stuff. Is that silly or I don't know, market it as a home improvement/teaching type thing.

Elisa: Send that jam this way and I'll make special cookies for Christmas and send it all back to you. Ahh. Share the love.

Nelie: TWO HOURS!? Bummer. I just would have felt cheated too. I like looking too but the stuff I saw didn't inspire me. I just couldn't see my family there. ~sigh~ Good I decided to step back. I'm just one of the intuitive people who just knows it when they see it. (Goes for people too, DH was one of those. )

Mel: First, how's the book? I just put it on hold and won't see it for a few weeks.

Yep, looks like I'm here for the year. I'm okay with it. Just moving on.

I reinstated my membership to the Y this morning. So when you come to visit our city you will have your choice of three gyms to workout in!

The Y offers childcare which is important for me right now. It's three weeks before school begins and I can't go that long without a gym workout. It will also be helpful on the weekends. As an added bonus, DS1 can and will workout with me.

I will still have my other membership to the training center till February. So, when the boys go back to school I'll hit that at least once a week and actually sign up for a series of training sessions to keep learning something new. All these things will help keep me sane through this year and is much cheaper than the $500.00 a month childcare I was considering for DS2 after his kindergarten day.

Okay. Easy cardio day for me today. Only had half an hour to workout before the child care at the gym closed so no pushups or pullups done. I'll have to do double duty just to catch up with you ladies. People are going to wonder what got into me tomorrow when I go in just to do the push pulls.

Enjoy the day!

Last edited by Lydia227; 08-04-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #36  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Shannon -

I found this set on clearance at Target and it was actually cheaper than hand weights so I figured why not.

I haven't actually done the DVD but I have used the gloves and I like them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #37  
Let's salsa!

Hah, that would be AWESOME if the pizza went as extra padding into my booty! My butt is so small that my friends jokingly ask me what do I sit on?
And I found that he brought not two, but FOUR slices of pizza! When I growled at him he offered me one slice. Then I had to yell at him "Go away!!!" and "Do you know how many carbs are in that?"
Actually I know that I ate it my tummy would feel very very happy. Oh well. So instead I am having romaine/cucumber/tomato/red pepper/red pepper salad with Greek dressing.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #38  
Working My Way Back Down

Good job Alena! I know what you mean. Pizza still smells delicious, but I'm seriously unhappy when I actually eat it. I do make some at home though, minus most of the grease.

Those awful carb monsters kidnapped me yesterday. Started with some homemade almond pastry and went downhill.... Grrrr. Woke up at 5am with a headache which I'm sure was directly related. Took some Advil, skipped my workout, and went back to sleep til 7. I'll be at the gym tonight for some upper body :strength: stuff.

Alena, I remember my parents refinishing the hardwood floors in our living and dining rooms when I was a kid. We actually slept at my grandparents' house for a couple nights.... My house now has wood floors just in the living room, and all winter it's covered with an oriental carpet, so they're in pretty good shape still. But DH wants to recarpet the bedroom this winter, so there's a major furninture move in my future as well.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #39  
Kallos Sthenos

Pat: Love the carb monster image. Isn't weird how food can have such a strong affect upon our systems once we've lowered our intake of it.

A year or two ago a friend gave me a loaf of cinnamon bread from a specialty bread shop. Unsliced and still warm. OMG.

The kids had a few slices but really, I had waaaay more than half of that thing. Within two hours my face began to feel puffy. DH came home from work and wondered why my eyes were so swollen. I showed him the bread wrapper.

Ordinarily I never buy bread from a bakery but this was a gift and just one slice of that stuff and I couldn't stop. Seriously. To this day I avoid the bakery. It's not a slippery slope, it's a cliff where just one step is the end for me.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #40  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Wingo is just fine with me... as long as it's not Bingo, I'm happy! BUT.. when I get down to my goal weight and have my nice guns to show off, you better start calling me HOT Wingo.

nelie: I never thought of using weighted gloves on the elliptical! I need to try that tomorrow.. will probably just substitute some wrist weights. I assume it would be the same effect?

Shannon: That jumping squat tuck thing sounds like fun, actually. I can't wait to do more jumping stuff, but I can't right now - I had knee replacement surgery 2 years ago (Caused by a very, very old high school basketball injury. My knee finally said, fix me or else!) and it never got fully rehabbed. So now I have to strengthen it before I can do any jumping. I catch myself favoring that leg a lot and try to concentrate on stopping that - but 28 years of favoring it is a hard habit to break.

Alena: Look at all your awesome willpower - you stared the evil pizza in the face (was even offered some!) and you turned it down. Seriously, though, you can have some of my booty padding. I won't even charge you for it.

Lydia: Great that you have a gym with childcare! I wish we had one around here. Wierd about the cinnamon bread, but dang that sounds so good. I've been eating a clean diet for just over a month, and actually got sick to my stomach after eating a BK chicken sandwich the other night. Didn't put me over on calories, but I sure felt awful - never again!

Got my dumbbell sets done this morning. Didn't have to think about form & technique quite as much this time! Tomorrow is cardio at the fitness center.

Last edited by HotWings; 08-04-2009 at 05:16 PM.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #41  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning. Went to gymn early and felt pretty bad afterwards. All I'd done was treadmill and a bit on the recumbent bike, followed by stretching. Now I feel a bit better and put it down to the bike being in an AC gale. That was too much for me at that time of the morning.

I am getting fatter. Eating too much and not enough exercise over the last few months for the medical reasons. And now it's the long school summer hols which are always a bit challenging in the food dept. Getting the balance right is harder for me in the summer.

One of the things which has happened is that I'm eating/drinking more of my forbidden or in moderation foods. Coffee is one of those. Especially now I'm trying to get to the gymn in the early am. Balance, it's all in the balance.

Mel: no work in garden recently as the weather has been bad. Today looks OK so I might try a bit. Yesterday was just clag, most of the day.

Have a good day.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #42  
Mel

60 push ups, 60 pull ups at cf last night.

no time....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #43  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Pat: Love the carb monster image. Isn't weird how food can have such a strong affect upon our systems once we've lowered our intake of it.

A year or two ago a friend gave me a loaf of cinnamon bread from a specialty bread shop. Unsliced and still warm. OMG.

The kids had a few slices but really, I had waaaay more than half of that thing. Within two hours my face began to feel puffy. DH came home from work and wondered why my eyes were so swollen. I showed him the bread wrapper.

Ordinarily I never buy bread from a bakery but this was a gift and just one slice of that stuff and I couldn't stop. Seriously. To this day I avoid the bakery. It's not a slippery slope, it's a cliff where just one step is the end for me.
This!! And it's sooo weird....did I always react so severely to sugar or am I just noticing it now that I've limited it significantly? Cookies, crackers, sweets, etc. make me retain water big time. I always wake up really thirsty if I've eaten crappy carbs the day before. I think I used to have a tolerance for these foods that I now lack. It's so weird!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #44  
Kallos Sthenos

It has to be a tolerance that we build over time. I also find that I am very thirsty within thirty minutes to an hour after overdoing refined carbs at a meal. It must be my body's way of saying "Woah, that was waaay to much, lets get that stuff out of here."
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #45  
Let's salsa!

I have to say I am still anxiously waiting for my body to start reacting adversely when I feed it a pizza or some stuff from MickyD's. I would LOVE to be sick afterwards - it would definitely stop me or at least made me think twice about it, in the future. Maybe I haven't "abstinned' (is that a word?) long enough for my body to forget those things.

And speaking of cinnamon - there was a certain incident about a month or two ago (I don't think I mentioned it) - when I bought a 'apple spice cinnamon loaf' - or some such - it was still warm from the bakery. Oh well. Let me just say that it was a very BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD idea. Most of it ended up in my digestive system because it was impossible to have just one slice (oh, and I think I put margarine on it, to add insult to the injury) and then I ended up splitting up the rest of it among the dogs because I knew I could not trust myself as long as it was in the house. I won't buy it ever again. But I am getting better. Most of the time I am able to resist.
Geez, where did I read this : "I can resist anything, except for temptation."

I had one of my sleepless nights so I decided to skip the morning workout (I will do it in the evening) as getting some sleep was far more important. I can't function if I don't sleep enough.

Birchie, are you lacing your coffee with some cream or sugar? Or did you mean that when you have coffee it is nice to have something to accompany it (something to bite into)?

Gotta run to a meeting, will check in later.