Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #16  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Rabbit, congrats on the running! For me, once I got to about 10 minutes straight, I found that it got easier to add time/distance. For a couple of weeks the first 10 minutes was semi-brutal, but past that I felt I could go forever. Eventually, that went away, too, so that it was easy right from the start (as long as I don't get too zippy and run out of air, lol).

Well, running in the morning is bad for skating at night. My legs were toast before I started skating. I got in one semi-decent hour of dance practice, then another hour of trying to keep on with very little in the tank. Finally, at the start of the third hour, I gave it a real honest try, but it's like my leg muscles were just depleted, because I'd get about 30 seconds of work, and bam!... leg cramps and no go-juice left at all, so I called it a night.

Woke up this morning sick again, like yesterday, only this time it didn't go away, so no dog club meeting for me today (mostly no one hour drive each way). I called the club prez and told her she could call me and we can do some work over the phone if needed today. Bummed about missing the meeting, but at least I do not have to sit through the pizza-fest.

The sun is shining today! It's even warm-ish out there! If I get feeling better, I might take advantage of the sunshine and do some work outside. My chickens need their pen finished, so it might be a good day to work on that project.

I got another low today, 174.6! Not sure it's legit with the way I'm feeling, but I'll bask in the glory anyway!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #17  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Hey, forgot to say, my trainer has a video on the crossfit main site this week. (he does the morning WODs I'm doing now, not the class I took last month) He is a beast! That's my new gym, peeps! Check it out:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._KurtisLog.wmv
Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #18  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: Great job with your losses this week! WTG. Thanks for sharing a video of your new gym. Fun!

We have nice sunny day here too. Kids are outside and the lawn looks like it could be mowed soon. Another day. I had a minor cold hit me Thursday night and I'm just a little tired today. Nothing major. Although it was enough to keep me from doing much more than laundry today. I really wanted to get outside and do a few laps around the neighborhood but it's not happening. See how I'm feeling by Monday. Water, vitamin C, L-Glutamine and rest until then. I'm just glad this is the only cold I got all winter.

Get out and greet the sun everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #19  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Lydia, hope you're feeling well soon! I didn't get as sick this winter as I normally do, either. Eating right and exercise...who knew? lol.

Wow, we've got another sunny morning outside, and warmish! Sweet! Probably means no wind on the water, but you never know. We're sailing out of downtown Seattle. I'm thinking I might catch something different to eat for lunch today, hit some place at the waterfront. Should be able to find something relatively clean to eat within walking distance on the docks there. The boat we're going on is vegan, and I'm not doing the grains thing, so I think I'll take a snack with, just in case, since lunch will have to wait till after.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #20  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Lydia, how much snow did you get? We are bracing ourselves for up to 15 cm (what is that - 6 inches?) I feel sorry for all the poor bunnies that were born in March, they must be so cold!!! very ugly day here - I think I will work out at home tonight instead of going to the gym - I have a feeling I won't want to leave once I am home. I already put my snow shovels away.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #21  

Hi exercisers,

Another victory in running...today I managed 10 minutes at 7-8 km/her, 2 min walk and then 5 minutes running again. I will be concentrating on running this week I think, because an inflammation has appeared in one of my fingers. The doc has put me on antibiotics, and I cannot properly grip with that hand, so i guess that lifting is out for the week.

Spring has finally broken overhere! today we had 21 C, sun, and my bulbs are blooming! Hurray for spring. if the weather holds, I might scrape up enough courage to go run outside in the easter holiday.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 04-06-2009 at 12:48 PM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #22  
Workin' It

Rabbit - way to go on the running!

Cheryl - you are rocking the weight loss this week!

Lydia - hope you feel better this week!

Alena - I need to look back at that sticky thread you mentioned. I've been doing a seated row, it could be the same thing that Meg had trouble with...

I ran 6 miles at the park and then did 15 minutes of work on the ball when I got home on Saturday. Got up this morning and did 55 mins on the ball and the Weider. I'm going to get back into the getting up to exercise pattern one, I swear! I'm getting better on the ball, but slowly. I don't fall on my face as much, but my feet still roll off the side of the ball on the jackknife and pike press. They are still pretty darn evil...

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #23  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Alena, sorry to hear about the snow! I wouldn't worry about the bunnies, though...they have very good insulation, plus there are usually enough of them to pile up and get some extra heat.

We are getting the sunny days here, which I know won't last for long, but I'm loving it for now! The sailing was great yesterday...not a lot of wind, but we were on a schooner-rigged tall ship, so with all that sailcloth out there, we got some good speed going a few times. There were lines to haul, much butchering of sea chanties, and the cook brought us each a fabulously evil chocolate and almond cookie, which I shamelessly ate! I also took my lunch and stayed on plan the whole day other than the cookie. Did about 2 miles of walking after the sail, just cruising the waterfront. The boat was actually out in the boondocks (docks, get it? ), so no chance of snagging something different to eat from a waterfront shop (there was nothing but a marina and the beach where we were...bummer!). If you want to see the boat we were on, the boat is the Adventuress, the website is soundexp(dot)org.

Rabbit, glad to hear you are getting some spring weather over there! I think we have very similar weather patterns. (you are in GB, right?) WOOT! on the running!

Speaking of running, my trainer at the CF gym is apparently in love with running, because we did it again today! I actually did all the reps and distance today, and used the biggest band for pull-ups. After the first round, I even figured out how to string together the band pull-ups. Doing assisted pull-ups still sucks bad when your legs are jellified, though. I'll be glad when I can do them on my own, and give my legs a break!

Here's the WOD we did today:
Run 800 meters
25 Wall Ball (still the baby 8# ball for me, though it felt like 80# by the end!)
15 Pull-ups (black band for me)
Run 600 meters
25 Wall Ball
15 Pull-ups
Run 400 meters
25 Wall Ball
15 Pull-ups

My time was 25:39. I did the running straight through, though at my usual turtle pace, just trying to breathe! The wall balls I had to break up into 3-4 sets each time, though I tried my best to keep going. The pull-ups I broke up only when my leg (the one with the rubber band on it) got too shaky and I had to switch legs the last 2 sets).

It really makes a HUGE difference if somebody is cheering you on and talking you through the workout. Every time I stopped on the wall ball, the coach would tell me to get a few more reps, and I found that I could. I love working out there, as if I haven't said that a bazillion times! Also, another lady was right on my tail for time the whole way...I'd overtake her on the runs, then she'd catch me on the wall ball, so just having her pushing right along with me helped motivate me to get a few more reps out each round. We finished 3 seconds apart, so I hope we end up working out in the same group again.

Shannon, 6 miles?! I have yet to run that far. I'm sure I could do it, but it would probably take me 90 minutes, cuz I'd just get slower and slower, lol.

Well, I'd better get off the 'puter and do something useful. Today I am paying bills and running a few errands. Somebody pulverized my mailbox Saturday night, too, so I need to get a replacement. None of my neighbor's boxes were smashed, so I'm guessing some idiot just ran off the road a bit and took it out with a truck mirror or something like that. Being plastic, the whole front of it just exploded, lol. Bet that woke them up!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 04-06-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #24  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Alena: Just a weird rain/snow mix today off and off. Wet and cold today. Blech. No accumulation though. We have a lot of bunnies running in our backyard too.

Rabbit: Good luck with your outdoor runs this week. Interesting how "crosstraining" into a new form of exercise becomes more appealing when we're forced into it by a weakness somewhere else in the body. Truly hope that you're fingers feel better soon.

Shannon: Nice run. That must have felt wonderful. The stability on the ball will come. In the meantime just have fun with it.

Cheryl: I'm so glad you are enjoying your new gym. Having someone "chase" you behind your workout is pretty motivating. Got a taste of that myself during our gym's BYA class. (Which reminds me I really need to do this again soon...)Your boating trip sounds wonderful! Cookie and all! Yep, I would have eaten it too. Bummer about the mailbox.

I'm still fighting whatever this little bug is. It's not too bad as far as colds go but I'm just fighting this low grade fever. Thankfully I don't have to be in the gym until Friday. But I am missing my workouts which irritates me.

I've also been asked to participate in "Train the Trainer Day" at the end of the month. I'm signed up for three half hour sessions. Let's just say I'll be eating a lot of carbs the night before. I'll let all of you know how it goes...

Speaking of dinner...I have to get it out there.
Have a great evening everyone!

Last edited by Lydia227; 04-06-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #25  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy! I'm a busy little bee these days, doing who knows what? The time just whizzes by however. WIth DH home I'm getting back into more of a routine - he expects to eat regularly, can you imagine? After work I'm off to do a good cardio - maybe outdoors if it's as warm as it looks from inside. But some weights too, probably a NRLW workout. It's a week with only one weeknight commitment, so the exercise schedule should be more "normal" rather than fit-it-in-when-you-can. I'm waiting for it to be warm enough to do some outdoor cardio in the mornings.... Still only 10F today.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #26  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Dang, Lydia! If we don't hear from you, we'll know you were killed!

Hey, Pat!

I'm just putzing before bed. Today was all chores at home and running errands. Not too exciting. I'm going to have a cup of tea, listen to my book on tape, and try to get to bed at a decent hour, so I can get up in the morning. I'm hoping to hit the gym a little earlier than I have been, so I have time for a good warm-up and to do some skills practice before the suffering begins. I'm still not used to the earlier time schedule, but haven't missed a workout yet.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #27  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I finally broke down and saw my chiropractor yesterday, so my back is now fixed. I was doing fine with just resting it until Saturday when I really messed it up. I did my lower body workout this morning at the ladies only gym. It rocked. No frat boys trying to show each other up. The branch closest to my house is full at 5am, the ladies gym only had 6-8 people, and two were employees. Of course 4 of us were in the free weight area, but they seemed to play well with others, so I think I'll be happier there. I'll still do my cardio at the closer gym occaisionally, when it's not worth it to drive the extra distance.

It's supposed to be below freezing here tonight. For Florida in April that's cold. Poor spring-breakers.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

LOL dee, we are having a cold snap here too, 44 right now and it's been the high of the day. ick!

oh well, the way I look at it in delays the timing of my "big reveal" when i come out in my spring clothes after being on BFL for 3 months
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #29  
Mel

from Aspen/Snowmass Colorado I flew out this morning after a grueling weekend of visitors and my mother's 75th birthday at my house.

It's gorgeous out here, but the altitude is killing me. I walked about 1/2 a mile up hill and felt 90 years old. It doesn't help that I have my first cold in years and my ears are all stuffed up and achy. My dd flies in tomorrow afternoon and we'll start skiing on Thursday. it's supposed to snow about 6 inches over night, and again Thursday night.

There is a little gym at the condos where I'm staying, but I think I'm going to ignore it for the week. I can't remember how many years ago i took off 6 whole days!

Lydia- I learned to fear "Train the Trainer" days! Good luck
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #30  
No description available.

Have fun skiing, Mel! Stay warm!

Good luck with train the trainer, Lydia!

Cheryl, I admire how you manage everything so well, workouts, boy, dog, chickens? Pretty amazing!

Dee, glad you have gym options!

Hi Pat! Stay warm....today my dd commented that she wished it was cold here. COLD?? I've been living for Spring for 4 months. I'm wondering if she was switched at birth....except she never left my sight the whole time in the hospital....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote