Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Post some pictures = I'm intrigued by an adult version. off to google, but what's the market for these, more stability or what?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #62  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Fran,
This is my current favorite:
http://www.terratrike.com/
(although it changes moment by moment as I research)

There is a bike shop in college park/mt airy (www.bike123.com) that seems to have a good selection. I'm going to Mt airy for something else on Friday so I'm going to stop by, I think.

There is a lot more stability plus if you happen to fall (its hard but possible), you are closer to the ground and less likely to crack your head.

Last edited by nelie; 04-14-2009 at 05:55 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #63  
Mel

Still no workout for me, so I'm eating squeaky clean. I think I've finally turned the corner and won't pass out if I try to workout tomorrow. I'm done my antibiotics, but I still feel like "snot for brains" .

nelie- why not ride a bike? Have you fallen in the past?

Cheryl- yardwork hardly sounds like playing hookie! It's rained solidly here and my lawn is bright green and long, but way too wet to mow.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #64  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Mel, ditto on the wet lawns here. I'll just be doing some spring clean-up on the yard and garden, transplanting and such. I ended up postponing that job till tomorrow, since the jobs at home kept me busy enough today. I got a lot done here, though, which I am happy about. I can actually see the surface of my desk, which is a rare event, these days! That will make this coming week go smoother. The boy starts back to homeschooling tomorrow, so he's off at the library enjoying the last bit of his vacation. The sun is actually out today! (so, of course, I've spent the whole day inside, catching up on paperwork, cleaning house and doing laundry, lol)

Okay, I'm going to make a cup of tea, and take a whole 10 minutes to enjoy the sun before it goes away.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #65  
Working My Way Back Down

Interesting Nelie. My DH was interested in recumbent bicycles for awhile, (though still rides a regular one) but I didn't know they made recumbent trikes. When I used to visit my folks in Florida, I saw lots of adult upright trikes - complete with big baskets - being ridden by seniors. My neighbor tells me that in AZ retirement parks they're more apt to have golf carts!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Nelie, I've seen a couple of those around here. They are much lower to the ground, but i think that would in turn scare me with the limited visibility of motorists not seeing me as early. Wal-Mart online has a Schwinn but it's a more traditional upright with a basket on the back.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #67  
Mel

Ok, now I know what nelie is talking about. I agree about the limited visibility. There's a guy who rides one every morning to work around here- and the roads are terrifying! But he's been doing it or years, so I guess the cars can see him.

Did a fast incline walk on the treadmill this morning and feel good. YAY! Still not exactly HIIT, but an improvement.

And I finally got on the scale and actually lost weight on my vacation

Weights at lunch.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #68  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - I can't get over my fears of riding my bike. I've never fallen. I also have some depth perception issues as well (I have issues walking down stairs) which I think come into play.

I would mostly be riding on paths, not roads although there is a recumbent bike club in my area that does monthly rides and there are some trike members in it. I'd probably be braver riding in a large group. I may ride on roads but probably only with my husband on his road bike and only for short distances. I looked at the 'bike to work' day thing and tried looking at the path that I'd need to take and there is no way I'd do it. Part of it would be on a road where people go 60 (or more).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #69  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Nelie, either of those options sounds like a fun ride!

I made it to my workout this morning, and it was deadlifts. The trainer almost made me "make up" yesterday's metcon, but I asked him to let me do deadlifts since I'd yet to have a shot at more than 65 lbs since I started there. (plus, I REALLY didn't want to run since I'm hoping to skate tonight!) We were doing 3 working sets of 3 reps per set.

Warm-up sets:
65-65-65
95-95-95
115-115-115

Working sets:
135-135-135
155-155-155
175(PR!)-175-175

That's my heaviest deadlift ever. WOOT! 155 is my 5 rep PR, so I don't know that 175 is that impressive for 3, however, every time I've done 155 before, it's been so hard to keep my back tight, but this time, it was no problem, and I even got the first 2 @ 175 without my form breaking down. The last rep at 175 was starting to get ugly, so I stopped there. Still, totally stoked about getting a little more weight this time, and especially the 155 feeling so much easier!

Mel, congrats on the weight loss!

I've had a few too many "just one little bite"s since Easter and the taco feed the night before. Today I'm kicking my own butt back into gear and dialing in the diet.

Seems like when TOM rolls around, I get a little loose with the eating, because I figure the scale is gonna give me crap numbers anyway, I guess. I don't think it's really any hormonally driven cravings, I think it's just laziness on my part. I'm going to try to keep it clean next time and see what happens. I feel like I should be doing more to get out of the 170s, now that I seem well clear of the 180s. Time to quit messing around!

I feel like I've got more energy for workouts now, so I may start adding in a second workout a few days a week, try to balance things out...like, the CF workouts at our gym seem to be either metcons (lighter weights, lots of cardio effect), or strictly lifting with heavier weights. So, maybe I can add an evening workout of just running or lifting, depending what we do in the mornings, to get a little more calorie burn and muscle building going on. The CF workouts seem to be helping me get more fit and strong, but I don't feel like I'm getting quite the calorie burn that I was getting before, and I wouldn't mind putting some regular bodypart lifting back in when I can, just because I enjoy doing that some days. I feel like I could handle a little more now, without overtraining.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #70  
Workin' It

Cheryl - I've had a few too many bites since Easter myself...

I also haven't worked out like I should... I didn't exercise at all last Fri, Sat or Sun, got in a run on Mon, worked out with the Weider and the ball yesterday, but I can tell that there will be nothing today... Made an excuse to not get up this morning and won't get home in time to do it tonight before going back out to a 'sell your old gold' party. We have DSS tonight so can't do it when I get home from the party, either. Gotta get back on track in the AM... I didn't feel well the better part of the weekend, though now I think it was because I was stiff and sore from no exercise... Blah blah, enough whining...

Mel - congrats on the vacation loss!

Nelie - there are a couple of people around here who ride bikes like that on the trails where I run. They always seem to be having a great time!

Elisa - how did the double power workouts go?

I did have fun on the ball yesterday - I'm getting better at the balancing, I can do 20 of the hamstring curl, and can now do two sets of 5 of the pronejacknife. Now I'm going to try adding in this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUvnc...eature=related We'll see how fast I fall on my face again.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #71  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Shanon - the double power workouts were great, but tiring! And I'm fairly sore today, but in a really good way!! I may try it again next Tuesday since they're my two favourite instructors. I love those Ridgeline Fitness videos by the way.

Speaking of swiss ball exercises, anyone want to try to give me any pointers from moving from the swiss ball knee tuck to the pike? Maybe I am simply lacking the strength...but is it core or upper body strength? Or maybe I don't conceptually get how to do it but I really want to try and can't seem to get my body to do it. Any thoughts?

Cheryl - I have been thinking about the second workouts too (as you can see by yesterday's workouts). I would like to try to do some cardio everyday but I'm not sure if it's sustainable for me...even though I think Mel does it all the time! I'll keep you posted...please do the same. As the weather improves here I think I could work in a run more often after work but I'm not sure.

Mel - You lost weight on vacation?

Last edited by elisa822; 04-15-2009 at 07:26 PM.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #72  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Please send some rain my way! It is so horribly dry here that I can invite midwife and she will feel right at home!

Lydia, thanks for the kick in the butt. My eating this week has been squeaky clean (I am borrowing the term from Mel) except for one iced cappucino today (but I asked for milk instead of cream some water before they added the icy slush to make it less sweet. My naturopath wants to stick with decaf because caffeine would inhibit my body's fight with the inflammation but I find that I am very headache prone. So I thought a single capuccino is a lesser evil than two Advils. And it worked.

Yesterday morning, there was hardly anybody upstairs at the gym so I had my fill of the Smith machines and did everything I could. The bar even had the foamy pad (I don't know where it sometimes goes because I cannot find it anywhere) so I could do squats. I cannot stand the bar on my shoulders with the padding.
This morning, I did some cardio on the elliptical. Custom orthotics tomorrow! I can hardly wait.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #73  
No description available.

Whoa, Cheryl, I bow before you!

Tomato!! Dry weather! I'll bring the lotion! BTW, DD is here and cracked up at your "let's salsa"....thought it was funny coming from a Tomato!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #74  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Well, crap. I did not make it through the whole day being angelically good with the eating, after all. I didn't go over my cals or anything, was at my sister's house longer than planned, had already eaten my lunch, got munchy and ate 4 keebler cookies since my son was munching on them. Tomorrow's a new day, right?

The extra cardio isn't happening tonight, either, but I'm okay with that. I spent about 2 hours pulling weeds, then 3 more hours transplanting ferns. Digging those up is harder than it looks...the roots are like grass, small but there are a million of them and they are hard to break loose. I broke one shovel, almost broke another, finally figured out a method involving a combo of the shovel and a pickaxe. So, that was a good workout all by itself! I am pooped, and my back muscles are starting to feel the effects of the deadlifts this morning. Rubbing alcohol, tylenol, sleep.

I'm hoping to practice some front squats and/or cleans tomorrow during my warm-up, just with the pvc and maybe a lighter barbell. I may also ask my trainer if I can use the glute-ham developer to do my sit-ups, maybe try some bar dips (I need something to switch out so I'm not doing push-ups every day).
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #75  
Mel

Cheryl! Those are huge numbers! Congratulations

I finally did cardio (wimpy yesterday, better today) and a short leg workout. I hadn't skied since Saturday, but found my legs were still tired. I'm sore this morning for the first time in a VERY long time. I can also breathe a very good thing!

Food has been on- I'm determined to get back into my spring/summer wardrobe. Can't afford new clothes!

Alena, I know SOME would call us wimps, but I can't stand the bar on me either. I ended up buying my own foam roller pad because half the time I couldn't find one at the gym, or they were squished and useless. I guard it carefully.

Rain has FINALLY stopped and there are bleeding heart, epemedium, hyacinths, daffs, and celandine blooming out there. Along with all the cherry, plum and maple trees. Gorgeous! My lawn is now a foot high.

Mel