Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #91  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, congrats on the new trike...got a picture of the new machine?

We're getting our sun this morning, so I'm hoping to get some projects done outside today. The scale is finally moving back down, after the evil TOM/Taco/Easter week.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #92  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

We went for another bike ride today! Whew, lots of hills and exploring. Really not sure how far we went, further than yesterday and lots of downhill rides.

Cheryl, I don't have a pic of my bike yet but it looks exactly like this one from the manufacturer (same color) except I added mirrors and a rack on the back tire.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #93  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Wow, nice rig, Nelie!

Well, I had a good day today. Listened to music with the boy's mp3 player while I did chores. Got my workout clothes and my stinky running shoes washed and dried, put the van back together since the repair work was over, got the garage tidied up, and cleaned the house. Dogs enjoyed following me around today while I worked, and the sun was shining, so a nice relaxing day overall. Dogs are fed and sleeping now, so I need to bring the baby chickens in, get a shower, and get some sleep. Crossfit workout in the morning tomorrow, then another yard work day at my sister's house, more transplanting of ferns and trees, so I'll be getting my exercise tomorrow, for sure!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #94  
Mel

nelie- that looks like fun! that's what the guy around here has.

Cheryl- Is there anything you can't do ? You are a many talented woman!

Good full body workout and cardio on Saturday...gardening, laundry and the usual on Sunday. I ate weird yesterday to shake of some bloat. It worked, but I'm sick or oranges and chicken. Calories weren't particularly low, but I just felt I needed a does of discipline. My version of a hair shirt

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #95  
Workin' It

I didn't do any formal exercise over the weekend, but I did ten hours of cleaning over Fri-Sun... swept and mopped hardwood (entire downstairs pretty much), vacuumed the stairs/guest room/upstairs rooms, cleaned three bathrooms complete with sweeping/mopping floors, dusted everything that would hold still, did 19 loads of laundry, and cleaned and organized my laundry room. Finally got the various charging stations with their tools mounted on the wall out of the way and off the floor - after a year and a half of being in the house... Now, I only have to sort all the mail for the last three months that is stacked in my office and clean off the bar and the mantel and I'll be all done. I vow, again, to never let it pile up that badly again... Right, like that ever works...

I am going to do some swiss ball work and probably some kickboxing when I get home - large blister on my hand from the cleaning that makes picking up things uncomfortable will probably keep me off the Weider, plus I'm really not having a good day so beating on the bag will get out some stress.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #96  
No description available.

Wow, Shannon! I'm impressed. I consider it a good day to load the dishwasher, vacuum and if everyone has clean underwear.

Cheryl, you impress me too. How old is your boy?

Cool wheels Nelie! I am very inspired to get back on wheels now. I'm glad you are enjoying it! In fact you have really inspired me. We are going to Paris in about 7 weeks and I found a bicycle tour so I want to feel comfortable enough to do that. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Last edited by midwife; 04-20-2009 at 11:15 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #97  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Nelie: I was thinkin' about you Saturday. I was out on the trails with my bike and it was such a beautiful day. Difficult ride. It was windy and I'm shall we say slightly deconditioned from not riding outdoors all winter. Basement rides on the trainer are NOT the same. But it felt so good to be out and to worry about a sunburn. I was hoping that you were able to get your bike and find some fun too. Nice bike by the way. One of my neighbors has one of those too. Actually, I think the guy has like five or six different types of bikes I had never seen anywhere else before he rode past my house.

Mel: Oranges and chicken. Well, at least it isn't complicated.

Cheryl: You wore me out from your post. Even your dogs were tired. It sounds like you had a very satisfying weekend. Great job with the van. I'm really impressed.

Shannon: 19 loads of laundry?! Those are the days when I would wish for three washing machines and dryers in the house. Laundry. I only have two little boys but I swear between the four of us we do at least three loads a day. If I skip one day things start to get ugly.

I skipped my workout this morning. I'm tired. Really tired. I drove all the way over there (15 minutes) pulled into the parking lot and realized that I forgot my water bottle. That was all the excuse I needed to call it a day. It's raining, I have other work to do, you know the excuses. I think this is one of the few times I honestly can say that I just needed the rest.

Last week I did have some lab work done and found that my TSH levels were high again. Hypothyroid chick here Thank goodness we have meds for this.

I know that's why I feel a little washed out today. Shoot I couldn't even carry on a conversation with my son's teacher without my eyes feeling glassy and my face hurting. The ambition for my workout is there, the head want's to do it, but the body says no way. So, I'm listening to what it's telling me and taking a nap.

Have a great afternoon everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #98  
Workin' It

Nelie - the trike does look pretty cool!

Cheryl - I forgot that you repair your own car... wow...

Midwife - I love Paris! The bike tour I took there was pretty cool, there is also a boat tour that you can take that is phenomenal!

Lydia - sometimes everyone needs a break!

Mel - your hairshirt food day made me snicker a little, don't know why. Glad it worked!

Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed by all the laundry for just the two of us with a part time child in the house... We hadn't washed any in what I thought was two weeks, turns out is was a little over three... We were both out of clean undies, had a pile of dirty DSS clothes, all the good towels were dirty, so I went ahead and did the bathroom rugs and sheets while I was doing...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-20-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #99  
No description available.

Ok, ladies, I need your input.

As most of you know, I started weight lifting at a private gym in Feb 2008 and I have learned so much. The trainers there are fabulous and I have gotten fabulous results. Several of my friends have joined and it is FUN! I love the atmosphere, I love my workouts, I love the trainers and the owner/main trainer has given me a very very excellent rate for DD & I. All that being said, the very excellent rate is over $350 a month, and so it's a chunk of change. I know it is worth every penny, it is just getting harder to fork over the pennies. Her gym has gotten a LOT busier lately and it is harder to get in to work out at times that work for me. I still make sure I get my sessions, but it takes some creativity and shuffling on my part, DH's part, and the kids' part. Now I have learned a lot between the gym, books, and of course this fabulous forum and I'm pretty sure I could put together some nice full body workouts and rotate them through, but I don't know as much as the trainers do....I'm not a true beginner but I am very much an active learner.

Our budget is changing drastically with adding DD to car insurance, looking at college for her in a year or so (even though she is Miss SmartyPants, she'll need som cash and a car), my 14 yo DS wants to start lifting weights and there is no way I could afford to take him to the gym too.

So, I am considering changing things up. There is a Jewish Community Center very close to my house and they would charge $88 a month for my whole family. They have a full size pool (which would be better for me this summer if I want to include some swimming cardio versus our small inground pool). We would all get 4 personal training sessions for free (including 14 yo DS) and they write up a plan for each of us. They have spin classes and yoga and those sound fun and pickup basketball games and organized sports for the kids. So it would be a great thing all around for the family at a fraction of the price.

I know that the rates at the private gym have gone up a lot and we are getting a fabulous deal and I have a feeling that if I leave, I won't ever get that rate again. I've really enjoyed getting to know the trainers and I would miss them a lot if I left, but realistically, once I leave I doubt I would afford to come back (I know people there who are paying twice what we pay).

I'm scared to cut the cord. Can I create and continue a good strength plan? DH would be thrilled to cut that cost out of our budgets, I guess I just need some advice. I know that lots and lots of people lift weights just fine sans a private gym. I think it is the right thing to do, I'm just a little nervous and a little excited and a little sad. Change is hard for me.

ETA: The Community Center has a really nice free weights section and almost all the equipment that the private gym has. It's nice and clean and has good hours, too.

Last edited by midwife; 04-20-2009 at 03:34 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #100  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

everyone! Long time, no "see."

Midwife: I know that you think you are already getting a fabulous deal, but is there any way that you'd feel comfortable talking to the private gym owners about your predicament? In this economic climate, pretty much anything is negotiable. Besides, if I were them, I'd rather make a little less profit now than risk losing a customer for the long haul. They probably couldn't come all the way down the community center rates, but there is a lot of room between $88/month and $350/month!

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

The laundry stuff baffles me. I do 3 loads a week, ONCE a week!, of clothes....whites, adult colors, and kid colors. Sheets I'm counting separately. I have a super capacity w/d and 2 kids who are into bigger clothes now that take up more space. Maybe you all should look into that!!!! Or maybe I'm just really good at making the kids wear their outer-clothes more than once before washing, but that doesn't really work with dd1 who's pretty active. But still, laundry every day? There's just no way that would ever happen! I don't even run the dishwasher every day. See, my efficiency leaves me more time for things like vacuuming lampshades!

Lydia, might have a chance to visit THE Ohio State University this summer - that's you, right? DD has a swim meet there over July 4th weekend. Yeah, obviously we're still thinking thru that one........lol
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #102  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Cheryl,
The handstand workout video had me drop my jaw ... I wish I could do that! I will have to try it one day (if I hit the gym at 2 am when there is nobody in the studio).

Nelie,
My goodness, what a sailboat! Wow!

Midwife,
Do I understand correctly that the gym is costing $350 a month? That's a lot of moola. I understand your sadness. Very tough choice, I don't envy you having to make it. But Kim had an excellent suggestion, can you negotiate a better deal? I guess you would need to determine at what rate it is acceptable. Good luck with the decision!

I am waiting for my stomach to digest my late lunch/early dinner - I was so starved when I got home (I skipped one meal at work as I was too busy) and I had to eat. I am giving myself another 20 minutes and then I am loading Jackie Warner's DVD into the DVD player and I will do a 60 min full body session. I neglected the gym on the weekend (a bad case of TOM).

But, I am so happy - it has been raining all day!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #103  
Mel

midwife- How many sessions a week do you do? I'm assuming that they are all one-on-one with a trainer. Is that correct? If you can afford it, I don't think there is anything that can beat one on one training at a private gym with a great trainer, but I'm biased. Unless you are really good at pushing yourself, there are things that tend to get dropped without a trainer and in a more public setting: balance work, plyometrics, the "weird" stuff. This can also be the most fun stuff. If you are confident and don't care if people stare, you'll probably do it anyway.

Between all the great books out there, youtube, and this forum, I'm sure you'd do fine on your own. On the other hand, what about cutting your private session to once a week and working out on your own the rest of the time?

It's rainy and COLD all day here. Quite a change from the weekend. At least I don't have to water the shrubs and plants that I transplanted. All the bike talk has made me want to start riding to work again. I need to come up with a plan for transporting brief case, gym bag, change of clothes, and food. I guess I could just leae the gym bag in my office most of the week (and to be honest, also the briefcase ), but I do need food and work clothes. And hairspray!

Fran- I've got the drive to THE Ohio State University down to 7 1/4 hours from here. I think it's a tad less from where you are. It's really not a bad drive.

Lydia- Are you on a medication roller coaster with your thyroid? Sorry to hear you are having problems again. I've been hypo and hyper- and they both are miserable. (But at least I lost weight when I was hyper..I was crazy and hurt all over, but I was SMALLER!!!! ) ) I hope you get your dosage figured out quickly.

Hi kaw What's up in your world?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #104  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi

Just catching up after a busy weekend spent mostly away from home/computer.

Nelie - the new trike is cool

Cheryl - your weekend wore me out.

Midwife - hmmm, except for the personal training, the community center wins hands down. Is there any chance you could just schedule a couple of sessions/month at the old place? Or pay-as-you-go. We pay $80/couple for our gym, though we have no pool and neither of us plays handball (which they do have). If I want to take classes, it'd be $10-20 more per month, but right now they don't have any that interest me that happen when I'm not at work.

And laundry - usually 2-3 loads a week (whites/lights, dark, jeans) plus sheets and towels. That's for 2 adults. In gardening season, DH will take off his jeans off on the deck, let them dry and then knock the dirt off and wear them again.

I've been beating my eating habits back into submission and feeling better for it. Weather has been great here for the last few days. Cold mornings, but and warmer afternoons and evenings - in the 50's! DH got the bikes out this weekend, and he went for a ride. I need to find time for that but I have a short meeting tonight, and another on Wed night, and then I leave THursday morning for a church related meeting that goes on through Sat. (I'm a rep from our church to a Synod Assembly)

ETA: Mel, I leave my gym bag in my office a lot, just have several changes. Does your gym have lockers to rent? Ours does, though I'm on a waiting list. Being able to leave an extra set of stuff there, and your toiletries is a real convenience.

Last edited by WaterRat; 04-20-2009 at 07:57 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #105  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Workout done.
I am loving the new Yoplait citrus yogurt - so good when mixed with cottage cheese. My tummy would like more but yikes it's 10 pm.
Lydia, I only skimmed the posts and somehow missed your thyroid problem. Hey, that's very common in greyhounds! (ok, that was a lame joke that was supposed to cheer you up). I hope it will be under control soon.
I better get horizontal - core workout at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote