Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Default Happy Birthday, America!

Ah, the 4th of July. One of my favorite holidays. And this year - a free day! Freedom..... freedom..... break out the Sousa marches, the 1812 Overture, and the CANNONS!

Cheryl, you should change your username to WillPowerOnWheels!!! Good job! I was inspired to check to see if there are any rinks that offer classes, but no luck for me here in CowTown.

Lydia, your son is too funny. Out of the mouths of babes.....

There's a raccoon that lives in the storm drain on the corner here in my neck of the woods. I hope all the wildlife makes it through the holiday OK. A lot of people set off firecrackers, even though it's illegal here. I think the only legal firework is the growing black snake. But I've been hearing a lot more crackles and pops than black snakes. I just hope the critters don't get hurt.

Hope you all have a fun and happy Independence Day!!!!
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #32  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: You are NOT going to believe this. The Hippie Dippy Bus actually came! It was one of the entries in the local parade this morning. One of the neighborhood put together a float that looked like VW minibus. Leading the bus were some of the women of the neighborhood with long flowing hair or wigs, small John Lennon like sunglasses, some with "Go Go boots" mini skirts, halter tops and bells on their bottoms. The second float they did held five or six other women dressed in Woodstock like flowing dresses, behind them were most of the men, children and maybe some of the other women of the neighborhood also dressed in the '60's style. They all followed behind the floats dancing with hula hoops made into Peace signs with maybe colored tape. The music was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhbxI...eature=related

Too funny. The whole time I'm standing thing going, "I wish I had a video of THIS. Jams would love it!

Happy Fourth Everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #33  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Happy Fourth of July to all my neighbours south of the border! I hope everyone is having a great day with some wonderful (mostly) healthy food and good times with friends and family.

I shouldn't be too surprised that it's quiet here today. Well, it's just a regular Friday for me but I did get off of work at noon, the weather is beautiful and I had a nice leisurely 6k run. I set out for 5 but it felt good so I snuck in a little extra. I have also made a delicious pitcher of homemade iced tea with lots of lemon and Splenda. Yummy!

I think I have finally convinced my husband to see SATC (while it's still playing) so that's what we're doing tonight. I anticipate some popcorn in my future but I don't feel too bad. We just don't go to the movies too often so I like the treat. I know it's bad but I think it will be okay as long as I stay on track the rest of the weekend.

Lydia - your food plan sounds great and delicious...I hope it all works out and that you get to enjoy some nice weather.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Did you all have a good holiday?

Back lite (with one eye on my shoulder) yesterday. I used exercises out of the last Oxygen mag I got, kept the weight lighter. It felt good, still does.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #35  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey, my peeps! Lydia, that clip was a little scary, to tell the truth. Funny that they had a hippie 'bus' in the parade.

My sister and I went down to the Tall Ships fest in Tacoma, to see friends and throw some brownies at the crew of her boat, then we walked 2 miles down the waterfront to meet up with a friend of mine from skating, who was at the "freedom fair", basically another fest with booths, an airshow and fireworks at night. We didn't have hippies, but you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a "pirate"...shudder.

On the plus side, these guys were there, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoaO42Kbaj4. I was missing my skates, since I'm no good at dancing in shoes. Eating was good, just a burger and tons of water at the fest.

Came home early to take care of dogs, had brocc and salmon for dinner, and watched a movie. My ds was at a friend's house, so I didn't have to do the fireworks thing this year.

Meant to go back to the tall ships fest today, for a chanty sing, but might skip it. I was kinda fested-out after yesterday, and with the whole "homeland security" feeling at this fest, they'd probably arrest us for singing maritime songs in public without a license. We were almost killed just trying to deliver the brownies, yesterday.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 07-05-2008 at 02:46 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #36  
Mel

Cheryl What in the world does Homeland Security have against tall ships or sea shanties? Lot's of pirates out there, matey? Any Flying Spaghetti Monsters?

We had a subdued 4th here. It poured. I'm sure, somewhere, there were fireworks, but our got washed out. It poured last year, too. We barbecued with neighbors at lunch time and I had a bunless burger and a heap o' salad, no desset. It felt too early to have wine, so that was that. Dinner was yum, the, even if I had to cook it myself . I made duck breasts with blueberry sauce, green beens (very garlicky) and cantaloupe. Wine appeared.

Today was back to normal. Another legs light session, because I did a home workout. I broke all my own rules and did some high rep work, but changed up my form, so I'm sure I'll feel those butt to the floor front squats tomorrow even though I wasn't lifting a ton. Also included stationary weighted lunges, one legged deadlifts with the long bar, front squat thrusts, hamstring ball pulls, and YES! Pistol squats I'm finally able to do ten on each leg before I keel over!

Hope you are all having great long weekends

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I'm finally able to do ten on each leg before I keel over!

Mel
I like how you say that as if it's not impressive.
I don't think I'll ever be able to do pistols. I can do one-legged squats to a box, just tap and go, but I don't think I'll ever get full-fledged ROM on pistols.

My glutes are still on fire from Thursday's workout

Box Jumps 4x6
Giant Cambered Bar Box Squats 5x5
Trap Bar Deadlift 3x6
DB Walking Lunges 3X10

Some external rotation, t-spine mobility, and core stabilization work mixed in between sets of the Squats, deads, and lunges.

Finished up with 3 rounds of a medball circuit:
10 shot put tosses right
10 shot put tosses left
10 scoop throws left
10 scoop throws right
10 chest passes
10 scoop throws front
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #38  

Oh you people and youtube?!?! It's like a double-dog-dare!

What do you think of this guy? MichaelFerencsik
Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #39  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel: anti-terrorism laws(?), popular event, large crowds, blahblahblah. I was joking about the chanty thing, but that's about how uptight they are down there.

Tried those ham curls on the ball again today, after my workout...man, those are killer, but I did five in a row this time, before I fell off the ball, so I'm improving.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #40  

I was saved from that dare by DH who whisked me off to a barbeque. But I'll probably try some of that today.

I fall off the ball doing almost everything!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #41  

Hey Susan,

Likewise here! I just fell off one day by forgetting that I had a weight in one hand...just slided right to that side & fell off. like gravity works all day, every day.

Still way too busy to do anything but lurk,
have a great weekend all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #42  

Hey everyone,

I have been busy for a few days since it was my b-day july 3. Im finally 17

Only one more year until the big 18- cant wait
This weekend are my rest days and back to NRLW on monday.
I seem to enjoy the time there, it seems like it is the only time i have to myself in the day, it feels peacfull- especially the bike ride, i love that.

I finally got up the guts to try to eat the cottage cheese as it is and its not that bad, i cant deal with it.

See u all later
sportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #43  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Happy Belated Birthday Sportsfreak. I rarely eat the cottage cheese cold right out of the container. I have to be in a really big hurry and very hungry for that. In the evening if I'm up late and need a little extra I will warm half a cup up with splenda, cinnamon, and a little vanilla in the microwave.

Yesterday I woke up at 4:00am and couldn't sleep. It happens sometimes. I made use of the quiet to read, get the laundry done, and do some planning. My workout was okay. Decent cardio session but the lifting was a little sluggish. The rest of the afternoon was spent running errands and dinner with my parents. By 9:00pm I was so tired my face hurt. Today is a rest day and I'm not doing anything that requires more than a book and my patio. Nice idea right?

Mel: Flying Spaghetti Monster.

So the scale has shown 127 for the past two days. It was up to 129 this morning but I think that's because of last nights late dinner. I'm hoping to revisit 127 by Tuesday again and then it's downward from there.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #44  
Mel

Happy Monday after a long weekend!

I could happily live with three day weekends, but I'd sure have to get eating and exercise on a different schedule. This was a fun weekend, but my clothes are tight

We watched endless tennis- did anyone else see the Wimbledon finals? I'm always in awe of the Williams sisters and had a lovely time watching Rapael Nadal's muscles beating Roger Federer

Back to the reality of a five day week now. Cardio done, chest and back at lunch time.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #45  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Mel - I absolutely spent yesterday (all day really!) watching the men's finals. Wow, what an amazing show of skills. I don't know why but I think I was kind or rooting for Roger Federer, but mostly I just wanted to see a great match. Anyone up for some tennis? Wimbledon does that to me every year.

Lydia - good for you on the scale and for being so calm with the 129 showing out of the blue. I saw 130 today but I'm hoping it will drop back down quickly this week

I got in another run yesterday...it was just an amazing weekend, weather wise here, and today will be UBWO, I think.

Happy Monday!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote