Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #61  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, funny you should say that. My ds has been campaigning to be allowed to ride solo to the library, which is 2 miles each way, and today I finally let him go. In fact, he just called to tell me he had arrived safe. Now, where did I stash that whiskey?

Had a good workout at home today. FBWO this week, as I haven't quite gotten my act together with planning a decent split schedule. I think I'll just stick with a very simple FBWO for a month or so, which will leave me enough left in the tank to learn some new exercises. Speaking of that, I've been practicing Overhead Squats with a stick, and feel like I'm finally getting there. Will still do many, many more before being foolish enough to try it with weights, but at least my shoulders are not screaming quite so loud in practice!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #62  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: Yours Too! I know we are at least two miles from the library maybe even a little further but it's less than five. Nerve wrecking isn't it. But he'll be ten next month and I've seen kids his size/age all summer long zipping about. ~sigh~ It's time to cut the strings. Whiskey. My luck I'd get a call from the police department asking to pick my son up for not crossing the street properly just as the bottle clincked the glass.

I've been playing with overhead squats too. I'm not using real weight, just a 12 pound bar but it's all about balance for me right now. Good luck shaping your movement down and all the way back up again.

I found this crossfit video helpful too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIBnUGxpJQE

Midwife: Pix of my bike. Let's wait until I get the new one and then we'll do the photo shoot. I'm hardly a serious rider yet either but having some fun with it. You should join the cycling group if you have the time. I'd love to share my pain in acclimating to outdoor adventures with you. Seriously I was thinking about this last night. It is so difficult to work these rides around decent weather. Just as I loaded the bike and headed over to the meeting place the sky opened up and it rained for about an hour. Halfway there I called the other two to see what they wanted to do. They decided not to meet for a ride. Since I was already on the road I just headed over to my gym and got my cardio and light upper body lifting in anyway.

Denverchick: You need to post pix of you and your bike too! I'd love to see that beach cruiser with the streamers and everything. Congratulations on your new scale number! You too can do the happy scale dance.

Mel: Ohhh the clothes. I found a few interesting sites since you have now peaked my interest. I'm sure a few jerseys will find there way into my closet at some point. Right now the only one that really applies is this one

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=23089

Yep, that would be me, the Hill Slug. So colorful too. I suppose that is the point so that you are very visible in traffic. Ya know, so they can hit you square on! I really think this is a sport that has the potential to attract mostly extroverts. Think about it, bright skin tight flashing clothes that scream "LOOK AT ME!", riding outside where everyone and anyone going about their day CAN see you, the big social groups formed to support this interest. It actually causes me a little anxiety. I have decided though that I will only do this on my terms. Besides, I didn't start out doing front squats and bench pressing on my first day of the gym either. So...I'll get there but in my way.

By the way Mel, I have no doubt you will be doing those hip raises soon. You and that guy will be the only two in the whole place who can do them.

Oh, and yes, I did hold my breathe the whole time DS1 was out on his bike. He was so proud of himself. He even asked if I needed something from the store. PRICELESS.

Pat: Of course his first solo ride would be to the library. We our library. DS1 completed all the hours for the childrens summer reading program last month and is now using sheets marked for additional reading. The prize this year is a Nintendo DS so there is a little motivation there too. However, the boy reads A LOT! Currently he is reading the Wright Three with several of his classmates. His teacher created an online site where the children can post their discoveries about the book online. I sneak on there every once and awhile and read their postings. It's a hoot.

http://wrightcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/wright3.html

Fran: After all that you have been through you ARE a new woman I'm sorry about your food list too. I love all of those things and red grapes are a staple in our house. And spinach, beets... ~sigh~ I'm adding lemon too just to be on the safe side. Hope you enjoy your first full scale workout! Let me warn you, your gonna be sore....again...you already know that though.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #63  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I spent a nice hour at the gym this afternoon. But I don't think I will ever learn the names of the various exercises. Lateral this or that, flyes, extensions .... I give up..

But I worked hard. When I was walking down the stairs (the machines and weights are upstairs) my legs were quite visibly shaky and I think that I will be lucky to lift up my toothbrush to my mouth tomorrow morning.

Oh, and I forgot to say that as I as returning home thinking I can veg out in front of the TV for a bit, I realized I still owe my dogs at least 1 mile walk, so off we went. When I got home, I spent another 15 minutes getting garbage and all the brown bags with yard waste to the curb (I filled EIGHT of them this week). That's ok, I can handle it. I am woman, I can rrrrroarrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Last edited by Tomato; 07-09-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #64  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, I'm still working on the balance, though that is getting better so far, and flexibility...ouch. My first reaction to the OH squat was "hate", then my second was, "I never have to do those, right?" But, now, I am starting to like it, and I really feel like it's helping my back squat get deeper, and stronger at the bottom.

Speaking of painful torture...I've been doing those GHD sit-ups from the crossfit site...has anyone tried those? They are ab killers! I'm addicted! I've been doing them on the swiss ball at home. Our Y has a couple of glute-ham developers, but they don't have the double roller, so I can't do the situps on them. (pretty sure I'd forget, try to touch my shoe, and end up on my face, lol)

Tomato, I know how you feel. It's a bit overwhelming at first. Things will start falling into place eventually, though, and making sense!

ETA: forgot to say, the boy made it home safe and sound. Now, he says he wants to go back again tomorrow!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 07-10-2008 at 02:35 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #65  
Mel

Lydia- teamestrogen was the site where they all bought their great clothes. Almost made me want to ride...except I live in PA where there are BIG hills

Cheryl and Lydia- Wait until they start driving!

Actually that's not at all funny right now. One of the kids in our neighborhood who was ds's best friend from ages 4-11 was in a horrendous one car accident about a month ago and has serious brain trauma although physically fine. We are waiting anxiously to see how much rehab brings back during the 18 month "golden window". I was tempted to never let my son drive again.

Tomato- Good job! Do you have any books that you are working from? I found it helped to learn exercise names by function. Chest press; one arm row. Lateral (synonym for side) raise...etc.

Cardio done, food packed, back and chest at lunch...and another attempt at those on the ball hip raises!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I learn the names of exercises by check, check double checking exrx and bodybuilding.com

I tried pistol squats. One on my left leg but two on the right!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #67  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the reassurance, ladies.
I have to admit I actually know what lateral means (I do a lot of translations of medical texts so lateral, anterior, posterior etc. are my best friends). But, that does not mean it's helping with the exercise names - for my pea brain, the names are too complicated.
I occasionally buy some fitness mags (like Oxygen, e.g.) and I also check out all the exercise websites that get referenced on the forums here.

Last night at the gym, I had a serious problem. A chick came in - maybe 30 years old - but she looked like Miss Olympia. She wore a top with a very narrow racer back (one strap down the middle of the back) so it exposed her muscles very nicely. When she moved, it was like a ripple on a surface of a lake. You could see every single muscle on her. I hope she did not get any wrong ideas about my sexual orientation but I could not help ogling her.

Last edited by Tomato; 07-10-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #68  

Went to the gym for chest and tri's this morning.

I grabbed a light bar and headed for a bench.
A grey haired lady who is always talking "I've never seen anybody do that before."
"It's a chest press. I don't use the machine because it's too heavy."
"Oh I've just never seen anyone do that before. Is it (insert name of gym owner here) approved?"
"I never asked."
Whispers to a friend "Does (insert name of on duty PT here) see that?"

UGH! Seriously? It's a chest press!

Despite this odd little woman, I had a good workout and PT and I had a nice chat about nutrition and shrinking.

Oh and about learing ... she was well silvered and lined ... pushing 70 probably. Awesome! She used this ab machine like nothin' and then had to help me get started 45 lbs different. Lovely torso!

Last edited by srmb60; 07-10-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #69  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
That's ok, I can handle it. I am woman, I can rrrrroarrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Darn right! This one is for you. I've had my eye on this tshirt all summer.

http://www.titlenine.com/shopping/pr...ProductID=2951

By the way she must have really been amazing. That was quite a description. I think I know what she looks like now and I wasn't even there. It really is inspiring to see someone who has leaned out enough to display that much muscle development. Some of it could be genetics in regard to how/where she carries bodyfat. Course if she's always been active and lifted then maybe she never added excess bodyfat to her frame anyway.

Susan: Oh boy, I hope she sticks around awhile because you are going to have all kinds of tricks to show her as you continue to learn new moves. Oh and congratulations on your pistol squats. Those thing are soooo challenging.

Mel: Sorry to hear about your ds's friend. How horrible for that young man and his family. How did the on the ball hip raises go today?

Chery: So DS decided to trot off to the library once again with his bike. An hour later he calls to ask for directions. He took the wrong turn and is lost. (Play dramatic music here.) Fortunately, he had the good sense to stop at an intersection to give me an address. All he needed to do was continue down the residential, happy tree lined street he was on and he would have known instantly where he was. North son, keep going North. Confident that he would be home soon I hung up. Five minutes later he calls back. Will you come get me. My legs are tired from all of this pedaling. Meanwhile DH took a vacation day today and is in the general area with his car. It occurred to me to have him pick up DS but thought I would help him save face. I raced out to the place where DS was thew his bike in the back and gave him a guided tour of all the side streets between our home and the library. Pay attention son, you need to know this...He was fine and ever so grateful that I came to get him. I told him not to sweat it, it won't be the last time I come get him and I was glad he called. Besides, I have a feeling I will be calling home from my cell for DH and DSs to pick me and my bike up from some remote location in the future too. Funny thing is, DH passed us on the way home and we pulled into the driveway the same time. DH tried so hard not to laugh as we pulled the bike out of the back of the SUV. He's a great dad.

Today was upper body and I brought DH in to spot me for my bench presses. DS came along to watch as I loaded the plates on the bar. He proudly announces Mom is going to bench 50 lbs. (ouch) I can do more than that...DH explained to him that the bar also weighs an additional 45 and that Mom is actually doing 95 today. My goal was 5 sets of 5 I got in 3 sets of 6 and sent out a gutteral "up" on the fifth rep of the following two sets. Meaning that DH has to swope in and pick it up off my chest. Oh well, maybe next time. Tonight is yoga. Can't wait.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #70  
Working My Way Back Down

Good work, Lydia! And nice that you helped DS save face, too. We're having a pet parade at our library this morning so it's been a madhouse here since we opened. Too bad the webcam doesn't cover the lawn where the parade was - it was sooo cute!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #71  

I just did delts out of Muscle and Fitness (the real one). Steve Kuclo's workout. Well perhaps a light run through of Steve Kuclo's workout. Feels good! Really big and bad!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #72  
Mel

Pat- Would you repost the link to the webcam in a new thread? I always enjoyed it!

OK, so I tried the on the ball hip raises again much to the amusement of a guy on a treadmill nearby. I thought he was going to fly off from looking sideways

After sliding off a few times, almost sliding backward onto my head a few times, I manage to maybe lift my hips about 2 millimeters. BUT...my legs were straight up and I didn't fall off. I WILL get this. Somehow. It's a really interesting experiment in the difference between pure and functional strength. Doing these on a bench, even steeply declined, is quite easy for me. Without a solid surface under me, it's a whole different ball game...and I'm not winning yet

Lydia- a 95 pound bp is nothing to sneeze at! good job.

Susan- You always make me chuckle Thank you.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #73  

I thought my pregnant DD had all the hormones but Mel you made me teary. I like laughter. More people should do it.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #74  

With my work schedule all messed up this week, my gym days are a mess too. So I chose body parts that didn't ache any more Calf raises on a machine nobody ever uses, quads on an extension machine .... drop sets I think they're called and a preacher curl machine. It was fun and nobody was looking.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #75  

S/C/G: SW164/CW147/GW140

Hey everyone, thought I would drop in and say howdy doody. I eventually got my weights AND my NROL4W and have been having a lovely time to be honest. I'm currently doing some Crossfit stuff as I am off to Portugal next Friday and didn't want to start my NROL4W and then have a big break in the middle. Then when I get back I'm off down the sweaty grunty lifters gym LOL to start training in earnest.

I've struggled a little bit with the consistency of using the weights at home - I don't have a rack and don't really want to invest in one and whoever said changing the weights each time I changed the exercise would be a pain was right. Plus I never thought it would happen but I got addicted to the long cardio buzz I was getting and would catch myself sacking off a strength day in favour of a cardio day. That's why I've been trying some Crossfit stuff at home - it gives me a cardio kick but also gets me into the strength stuff as well. Have been down to the gym and spoken to the woman who runs it - you should see the pictures on the wall of her when she was at her body building peak! Eeeeek!

I am still debating whether I do BFL or NROL4W to be honest, watch this space. Happy July and big ups to the lot of you! xx
Nix143 is offline   Reply With Quote