Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #91  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to stop by for a quick post...work has been way too busy to stay caught up on everything. I hate it when work gets in the way of the rest of my life!

I've been staying focused with my workouts and I'm pretty proud of that. I know many of you have been doing this for years but I always tend to come and go and get bored so it's been a few months and I'm still having fun.

I still think I could use a trainer but I'm concerned about the cost (even for a few sessions) and worried about finding the right person so that I can get my money's worth. I just want to keep progressing and I think that might help.

The weather was so nice today that I managed my first run outside!! I was scared that I wouldn't last and my time was a bit slower but I still managed my 5k! I was thrilled, to say the least. I think I'll go post this in the cool runnings thread too.

It sounds like a lot of us are enjoying the warmer weather and brighter evenings. The sad thing is the forecast says snow on Friday! Snow? What the #*@?

Lydia - glad to see you back here.

As an aside, can I just say how nice it is to post somewhere where people are warm and welcoming and respectful to the new people. There's one other site I go to (completely different topic) and everyone has a common interest since that's what the site is about but some people are so so so rude and condescending to the newer people. Drives me insane. I think some people hide behind the "internet" and think they can be a bully. okay, that's the end of my rant!

Sorry that I can't address everyone...used up all my time on my too long post!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #92  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

I agree, elisa, this is such a great sight. So much more "mature" than the usual internet playpen.

Well, I finally got back to my workout schedule after taking ALL of last week and the weekend off. I finally figured out what in the heck was wrong with me. Now don't get me wrong my DH is totally supportive so this is in no way a reflection on him...

We were super busy with work all last week and since we're self-employed and work together I wasn't working out because I felt guilty! If I'm working out I'm not in the studio with him working. Now that makes NO rational sense but somehow I guilted myself into such a state that I just worked everyday and didn't take care of me. Nevermind the fact that he does things that aren't work related and I never think badly of him. Nevermind that he would in no way be upset or resentful if I took time to workout. I don't get me sometimes?! So I told him about this and let him know that what I'd be doing is telling him everyday that "I'm going to work out at this time". This way I don't feel guilty because it's planned. I don't really get why I need to do it this way but for some reason I do. I don't even feel like it's asking his permission because I don't feel like I need his permission but for some reason I need to say it out loud to make it OK.

So I took an hour and did my workout and now I can go back to work feeling good! Yeah!

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #93  
Out there trying

Good for you Beth. I agree that we don't need other people's help to feel guilty - we can do that all on our own. Usually just talking about it out loud, like you did with your dh is all we need to realize how silly we're being.

Keep it up!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, things are going well with my new weight checking mantra. I put a graph chart inside my closet door, so each morning I weigh, chart it, and boom I'm out of there. Don't even take the time to analyze it - just find the spot and put a dot! (lol) So far I'm losing all the sodium related water I've been holding onto, so I like that.

DD gave me a NSV yesterday. Told me, "Mom, those pants are falling off you!" (sweats) So when I pulled them up to where they fit, they were adjacent to my bra, and she said, "That's even worse, cuz now you have an air bottom!" The gap of fabric above my bottom and below my waist that was just kind of billowing. So, those pants got packed away. New pair today, doing the same thing again by lunch time. I know sweats stretch out, but if they're the right size, you shouldn't be swimming in them by 3 pm right? I mean, it takes a couple of wearings or so. SO that was cool, even tho I feel like it's totally undeserved.

Feeling kinda creepy and low energy lately. Just realized I haven't done cardio in about 5 days bc my feet have been sore again. Hmm, also realized I haven't replaced my vitamin stock. I think the 2 have really combined to tank my energy levels. Must resolve that like pronto.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:37 AM   #95  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe View Post
SO that was cool, even tho I feel like it's totally undeserved.
Just popping in to say that it's totally deserved!

All well here. Sunshine. Slight breeze.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Air Bottom?

good job on the NSV!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #97  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Beth – Good job on finding a way to get your workout in without feeling guilty. You shouldn’t have to feel guilty about taking care of yourself, but you already knew that.

Hehe…airbottom. I love that. I’m going to start charting my weight again too, that always used to help me start the day on the right foot. I took a long break from the scale and it turned out to be not good. I was like, where did those 5 pounds come from all of a sudden?

It was 69 degrees out last evening when I went out for my run! I was feeling a little fatigued, but I made it. I wish I could get up at 5am and run, but I have enough trouble with getting up and getting to work on time in the morning, adding a workout to that is too much for me. Followed up with some lifting and pilates. Feeling a bit less sore than last week after the same workout, I’ll take that as a good sign. Think I'll jest do some cardio (dog walk and hip hop DVD) with some yoga tonight.

Happy humpday everyone.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #98  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey guys, good morning!

I'd been feeling a bit down lately, due to the knee problem and not being able to workout. That has led me to some pretty sloppy eating over the past few days.

However, a bright spot in my day - as I've been following the YOU: On a Diet plan, I've been measuring my waist/belly/gut regularly. My waist (at bb) has not been changing much lately, but today, the area I call my gut, about 1.5" above my waist - ok, let's face it - it's a roll - well anyway, it was another inch smaller! I didn't measure there at first, but it has been steadily getting smaller since I did start. So, I'm feeling better about that!

Fran - congrats on the NSV! Your note brought back fond memories for me - I went through the same thing a couple of years back. Buying pants and returning them when I realized they were really too big! What you need to realize is that most pants these days contain a tiny amount of lycra, which is stretchy, and so pants that fit when you first put them on, will stretch out and be too big in a matter of hours. It will seem strange, but when you are shopping, you should buy pants that are actually quite snug when you try them on. Snug enough that you could wear them, but feel like you shouldn't. All of my pants feel like that when I put them on in the morning. It was a hard habit to break - always buying things that were a bit loose on me. But then, by the time I get to work, after my 15 minute drive, sitting has stretched them out and they fit just fine the rest of the day!

Hello to everyone out there - hope you have a good Wednesday!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Thanks Cindy, that explanation on the pants helped. You're exactly right, if they make me feel like sausages when I put them on, I set them aside as too tight. But glad to hear if I just sat around a couple of hours, they will then fit. So you look like elephant legs in the morning, but by lunch, you're hot, right? lol
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #100  
Mel

And here I thought I was losing weight over the course of the day!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #101  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all. Spent aaallll of yesterday in meetings, and dang, I have another in 1/2 hour. Gads. How much talking goes on in this world!!

Had a great cardio workout last night. I've gone back to working on running using the Couch to 5K program, and last night did the final session of week 2. It went really, really well. I just love it when your workout "clicks." And my official gym scale says I'm down another 3 lbs, or 8 lbs total over the last 3 weeks. I am totally amazed as I've not lost anything since the first of the year! And while I've upped my cardio (in training for the half in June) I didn't think it would make that much difference.... Now if it would come off my waist I could wear several things that fit other than buttoning.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #102  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Good Day LWL!

I think spring break hit my house early this year. I just have this urge to clean and organize everything. I've decided to just go with it. Who knows when it will hit again Could be years... Anyway, I've skipped the gym so far this week to get caught up around here. I think the warmer weather has spurred it on for me. Don't worry though, I'll go back soon. Part of my "organizing" has to do with restructuring my workout and eating plans for this spring and summer. Just taking a little breather to evaluate what I need to do to get to my next level.

SHANAGANS we have 70 degree weather here too for the past couple of days. My sister was sporting her flipflops last night at dinner. I told her that she's going to look pretty silly shoveling snow on Friday if she has already put her boots away.

FRAN: Cool NSV I used to wear all cotton gym pants till about this time last year. I had MAJOR AIR BOTTOM. :blush: I finally gave in and went shopping for new workout clothes. My favorite pants are made by Adidas and have the Climalite. It seems to hold its shape pretty well without being too snug when I first put them on. I agree with Cindy too. Lycra is nice.

PAT: I think I could be gaining the weight you seem to be losing. So, stop that!! No really, is it the extra cardio that seems to be helping? Anyway, eight pounds is awesome.

MEL, TIKI, SILVERBIRCH, ELISA, NELIE hope you all are having a great Wednesday!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #103  

S/C/G: Starting over

Hello LWL

Lydia could you send me some of that cleaning energy. I could really use it.

Fran, I hope we all get big air bottoms soon.

Elisa, I am so psyched for you that you are outdoors. I knew you could do it.

I think that I finally have extra energy to do a full lower body workout today. I think my legs are finally strong enough to do the hills plus a little bit more. Had a good 3 mile run this morning. I think my body is starting adapt to its new routine.

Pat 8 lbs, that's amazing!

Cindy, sorry your knees hurt. Down an inch in the waist! Thats really good. Maybe you can focus on abs and upper body while your recovering. I am sending happy knee thoughts your way.

Shananigins I am dreading the heat. So far my mornings are still considerably cooer 50 degrees. Nice sunny days are great for walks. Not so good for runs. Take it easy and stay hydrated.

Beth, good for you taking charge of your workouts.

Everyone else enjoy the day and may you all have nice big airbottoms soon.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #104  
Out there trying

hikerchick - thanks for nice words. I know you've also recently started running. Have you been using the treadmill or running outside? How's the weather where you are? The only bad thing with the fun run outside is that it's now back to cold again (hopefully only for a short time) and so I guess I'm stuck back on the treadmill for now.

Lydia- I had the spring cleaning bug a couple of weeks ago. Did some really good organizing and went through my closet and somehow ended up with bags and bags of stuff to give away...yay!!!

Fran - congrats on the pants! It's funny hearing about wearing clothes that don't fit because I think I still do the same thing. I think maybe when I go shopping (soon..need some new clothes badly!) that I'll have to bring someone with me. I hate the feeling of pants being tight (might be from them usually being tight because I gained weight) so I tend to buy them a bit too big and not think about the slight stretching that might happen. So many of my pants, even from a few months ago (and my weight hasn't really changed) are actually quite loose. I like the way it feels but I don't think it looks the best. It can be sloppy looking when your clothes are too big.

So, I guess it's time for some shopping.

Hi to everyone and have a great day.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #105  

S/C/G: Starting over

Elisa,

Yes I am just a beginner. I have no treadmill or gym. Just my dumbells and the great outdoors. I am in a pretty rural area so I have to make due.

The plus to this is that I have been forced to be outside for my runs. The minus is...well I am forced to be outside. More a plus than a minus since our weather is fairly warm. We get a few snows but mostly cold rain during the winter.

The only day I had a real problem was when it was icy. It made me pretty nervous. But I just went slower. I think I will have a harder time in the heat than the cold. We have HOT summers.

Today I am really feeling the squats and lunges that I did yesterday. I am so glad that I felt up to adding a little lower body to my run.

Today upper body. I haven't perfected the split yet. I keep forgetting what I have done and what I haven't perhaps I will do a full upper body day just to make sure I have covered all the bases.

My kids are putting on there very best whiny voice to make sure I am awake. Better go intervene.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote