Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I get my fat percentage by tracking my intake on the daily plate feature of livestrong.com - when I enter my food, it totals everything up and gives me a pie chart of percentages of fat, carbs, and protein. I'm sure there are other free food tracking tools that do it as well.

As for the veggies, it depends on what you decide. I count carbs, and even green veggies have a few, so if I am done with carbs for the day, then I'm done with veggies, too. But that's easy for me to say since I don't like very many veggies at all
Oh ok. So you do measure your food then? All fats, protein, and carbs you eat? I have not done that the past couple days. I have just been trying to keep the protein lower and the fats higher. One misconception I had about a low carb diet is that it's not high protein or so that's what I read. That most is supposed to be from fat? I'm keeping carbs very low. Making sure to read labels. I'm surprised to find out how many foods have carbs in them even if it's just a little bit. The veg I've eaten so far is green beans and spinach. I normally only eat broccoli, green beans or spinach.
blb1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #17  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1980 View Post
Oh ok. So you do measure your food then? All fats, protein, and carbs you eat?
I used to until I got the hang of it. Some people are surprised how hard it can be to get in a lot of fat (especially when you don't have carbs as a vehicle)! I haven't measured/tracked my food in probably over a year now.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #18  
Old Cackler

after surgery, i also tracked water, protein, and, to some extent, carbs. for a number of years. i occasionally do it now, just to try to keep myself honest.

Because as a postop [gastric bypass], i had so little room for food. i had to meet my protein goals, and water goals, with lower carbs. So, i had my desk covered with little sticky notes, with each day's W, P, C list.

my little rule [and it worked for me] was to eat NOTHING that had more carb grams than protein grams, and nothing over 15 grams of carbs. and that wasn't PER NORMAL SERVING, but rather what I would actually eat.

That meant that I could get in the occasional bite of chocolate but not too often!

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-31-2012 at 08:41 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Hey blb-
I am at nearly same place as you are in reguards to WLS. Although unfortunately for me I am not at the same place you are reguarding weight loss! Way to Rock It Lady!!

For years I thought WLS was just for "REALLY Overweight People" then one day I realized I was one of those "REALLY Overweight People". I was beyond 'overweight', I was beyond 'obese', I was "Morbidly Obese". And I had been "Morbidly Obese" for a long time. I had to do something! Sure in the past I had lost weight, sometimes even enough to get me into "just" obese or even "overweight" on the medical charts. But I couldn't maintain. Most of my life I have been either losing weight or gaining weight. I think the longest in my adult life my wieght has not been fluxuating by more that 10 pounds is 6 months. I needed to do something that would not only assist me in losing weight, but maintaining that weight loss. I need to lose A LOT of weight.

So one day I decided to look into Lap Band. At the time, with my limited knowledge it seemed like the way to go. My first call, to make an appointment with a bariatric doctor and dietician. I have been to both before, but then would not even consider surgery. I asked right away about Lap Band, and I was told that procedure was not performed at that clinic. She then told me why. She gave me the dates and times of upcoming Bariatric Surgery Informational Meetings and the name of a couple doctors at different clinics that did do Lap Band.

I did some research and decided Lap Band was not right for ME. I Will never tell someone they should have had a different procedure or should choose one procedure over another. I am not a doctor, I only speak from my experiences.

So now I am waiting....SIX CONSECUTIVE months of MEDICALLY SUPERVISED weight loss program. I have to get my psych test done. I have already had a sleep study and am I CPAP wearer. I would like to have surgery before the year end but that is doubtful, due to the six month thing. 26 weeks is not 6 months according to insurance guidelines. Although my nurse/case worker and doctor are trying to appeal that.

The decision to have surgery is not an easy one. It is not one to be taken lightly. It is not the "easy way out". You still have to follow the rules to make it work. But as someone else (possibly jiffy...she's so insightful!) pointed out to me how many people do you know that can anything in any quanity and not exercise and never gain weight? Sure I will have to make a lifestyle change and commit fully to that change. Could I lose weight 'the old fashioned' way, maybe I have before. Could I maintain that weight loss, doubtful, I never have in the past. Could I lose it rapidly enough "the old fashioned" way to resolve health issues I currently have, before "someting bad" happens, probably not.

For me I know it is my best chance of successful weight loss AND MAINTAINING that weight loss. I am insulin resistant (pre-diabetic), I have joint problems, borderline high blood pressure, asthma, high cholesterol, and family history of heart attacks, stroke and cancer. I know getting my weight under control will lower if not eliminate these issues. It is no longer about wearing skinny jeans (but if that is a side effect....I won't complain!) it is about living a long healthy life. Being an active part of my Grandson's life (and any future grandbabies) not just sitting on the sideline watching him grow. It's about living life, not just watching it from the comfort of the recliner with a twinkie in one hand and the remote control in the other.

My advice, before decding on ANY WLS, read about all types of WLS. Find out the pros and cons of each. Find talk to people, (there are plenty here who are very helpful) read blogs of people who have had WLS. Talk to doctors, find one you are comfortable with, one who you feel listens to you and explains things to you.

Good Luck with your weight loss! However you decide to achieve it!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote