Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #1  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy conflicted about getting gastric bypass

Hello, folks.

Until this month, I never seriously considered WLS before. I mean, if successful weight loss requires diet and excercise with or without surgery, why go through the added pain and complications of getting it done?

But I have been on Jenny Craig, WW, the Zone, low-carb, and others, and I've never once reached my goal weight and never kept the weight I lost off. Recently I've been reading some extremely discouraging data - about how unlikely it is to maintain weight loss at all. About how those who do manage it usually require something like 90 minutes of exercise a day. About how our bodies are physiologically changed to make staying slim harder once we've put weight on. It hardly seems fair - my body appears to be fighting against the very thing that would make it feel better!

I'm currently at 260 (15 pounds below my highest weight) and my BMI is sitting at right about 40. I know I have a sugar addiction and that must be addressed no matter what I do.

Now that I'm actually looking into this, I'm getting conflicting info. My chiropractor says that after 10 years hardly anybody who's had WLS keeps it off, and that there are a whole range of health issues that they acquire. But I just read a study that followed patients at 5.5 years after and considered them quite successful.

I don't even care any more whether I reach my ideal weight. I have chronic inflammation in my right hip and my osteoarthritis has been getting worse lately. I just want to stop hurting so much. My dad has had 2 arterial bypass surgeries due to his heart condition and suffers from type 2 diabetes - It's not just a matter of how much longer I live, but how much living I get to do before I die.

My chiropractor suggested talking to real people who've had the surgery (who aren't trying to sell me something) and see what they think of it. I read the posts on the post-op poll and they seem to lean toward the positive. Does anybody have anything they'd like to tell someone who's confused, frustrated, and scared?
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts, good vibes, and well wishes, Tera (twilit tera), as you figure out your next path. I remember the good times when we were both on the Beck forum a few years ago.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-11-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Typo
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Tera-

Wow! I was feeling the way you do about a week ago, I posted a few questions and I the responses were much more supportive than some you have received.

I too have struggled with weight loss most of my life. I have lost and gained many times. I feel for myself losing weight is not the struggle, I am successful at losing it, KEEPING it off is the struggle. Which is why I am choosing to go with WLS.

I have learned so much in a week. ALL the differenty types of WLS and some of the pros and cons to each one. I am still "on the fence" about which surgery is right for me and will discuss that with doctors soon.

I am not sure when my "Ah-Ha" moment reguarding WLS occurred, I know six weeks ago, I thought possibly a lap band, but NOTany other type of WLS. Now I KNOW a Lap Band is not for me. Do some research, talk to your doctor and read some of the posts here.

Whatever decision you make, I will offer any support that I can.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

Let's try this again - i deleted everyone's post except Bill's. One of the odd things about this particular corner of 3FC is that, after surgery, most of us are out living our lives instead of stuck inside at a computer because we can't move.

First of all - I'm really glad you're reading the real literature about this. But please be careful when you interpret it. The surgeons/other docs who write about the surgery have a vested interest in putting the best results out there. So, it's important to pay attention to drop-out rates, the number of people lost to followup and the reason, and the definitions of 'success.'

The ASMBS definition of success is to lose 50% of your excess weight and to keep it off for a year or two. But, as we all know [or at least hope!] we live longer than a year after surgery, so we really need to know the LONGER term results.

One of my friends swears that her surgeon [my surgeon's partner] told her that if we keep the weight off for 10 years, there's a less than 2% chance of regain. I've never seen confirmation of this in the literature, but it's sure a hopeful thought! [especially as I've passed the 10 year mark, and have NOT regained the 280 pounds I've lost]. I HAVE regained about 80, and have lost about half of that, however, and am gradually losing the rest. And that means that I've maintained a 200-pound loss for 10 years. I'll take it, and dare anyone to criticize me or say that I'm a WLS FAILURE.

Which brings me to a very important point - one that you mentioned in your post. The REAL reason I chose surgery was not to lose weight. Rather, it was to offer me the best chance to KEEP IT OFF. and while your chiropractor can tell you that 'hardly anyone' keeps the weight off after 10 years, I'll bet that if you press him, he'll tell you that he's met people [or had them in his practice] who didn't keep the weight off. that's NOT a valid sample.

Surgery won't work unless you deal with your food demons first. Surgery is performed on your digestive tract, not on your emotions, not on your brain. ANY work that you do before surgery can only help. Many insurance companies require 6 months of supervised weight loss before approving surgery. And the reason for this is NOT to prove that you can't lose weight. But rather, to make sure that you can follow directions and stick to a plan. It's also a hurdle to jump over. If you are really interested in surgery, you'll complete this step.

Surgery also won't work unless you watch what you eat and exercise. As one of our members [who hasn't been around for awhile - she's off having fun!], has always said - SURGERY LEVELS THE PLAYING FIELD. It's not a cure, but it is a tool that can be effective when used properly.

And do you know of ANYONE who doesn't have to watch their food and exercise? I sure don't [except for teenage boys, for some reason - and that's not fair!].

And yes, there ARE risks - running at around 1-2% for death [still lower than most other surgeries], and if you don't take your vitamins and get your blood work done regularly, a really high risk of nutritional deficiencies.

Have you gone to an informational meeting at a surgeon's? You don't have to sign up there, and it's a good way to get the lay of the land and the surgery options. Be sure to explore choices other than the gastric bypass. Duodenal switch is becoming more common, and the long-term results so far have been very good for losing, maintaining, and managing diabetes. Vertical gastroplasty [the sleeve] is also gaining traction - good weight loss, no vomiting, decent diabetes control, but there's not as much long-term data about it. Many people love their lapbands, but it's not the best choice for others.

hope this helps start answering your Qs. keep asking them. and above all BREATHE. you don't have to make a decision right this second, so take the time you need to make the RIGHT decision for YOU.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #5  
imp

S/C/G: WLS 232/C 113/G 125

Height: 5'5"

Tera,

I must have missed some responses that are now gone, but I want you to know that I read your original post and I feel your pain. Girl, I SO feel your pain.

WLS was not something I had ever planned for myself. I spent years berating myself for lack of willpower, lack of determination, carb addiction, laziness. None of those things were true. As a kid I was a ballet dancer and cheerleader. After my first child was born I dieted myself into a size two. After my second child went to school I worked out for an hour a day, ate 1000-1200 calories, and exploded my gallbladder in the process.

After that last loss, which uncovered heart and lung issues as well as a busted gallbladder, I wasn't able to lose on my own. I was constantly exhausted. I was always hungry. Dieting made me hate myself. Exercising was impossible due to the severity of my tachycardia, hypertension and asthma. I didn't want to look in the mirror. Finally, my parents paid for my surgery (MGB - mini gastric bypass), because my dad had it done and realized that it had literally saved his life.

I didn't do surgery to look pretty. If I get pretty in the process, great. I did it so I could move again. So I could live. So I could stop fighting a twenty-year battle I was not winning.

I'm seven weeks out. I'm down 35 pounds - a slow loser, maybe, in WLS world - but it's 35 pounds I won't likely see again. I'm not starving all the time. If I'm hungry, I eat. But I'm not hungry like I used to be. I can watch other people eat and enjoy the company without focusing on the food.

Did I take the easy way out? Well, ****, yes. And no. My life is structured around my nutritional needs in a way it wasn't before. I can taste anything, but I can't swallow whatever I want. Sometimes my stomach tells me in no uncertain terms, "Don't even think about it, imp." Sometimes I eat too fast and then I'm in pain for awhile, or wishing I could throw up, or just plain puking. Or maybe it comes out the other end, although that has not been the big problem I expected.

I gave up most caffeine, all nicotine, all alcohol, all soda, all bread. I could not have given up those things before surgery. I know. I tried. And I don't miss the soda, alcohol, or bread even a little. And... I'm. Not. Starving. Anymore. I have to work at fluids, protein, and vitamins. I don't always reach my goal intake, and it's a learning process. I'm learning.

I'm also asthma-free, my blood pressure is normal, my heart function is normal, I don't have sleep apnea anymore, and I can RUN (downhill, okay, but I can do it!), I can swim, I can drive a waverunner for a whole afternoon! I can dance, I can laugh, I can have my picture taken and not hate every single shot.

The best thing about WLS, for me, was learning that I wasn't a failure or a bad person for not keeping weight off. I was so sick of being beaten down by South Beach, Atkins, clean eating, veganism, high protein, Curves, Snap Fitness, trainers, supplements, and doctors who just told me I needed to work harder. Every time I got sicker, every time I regained a pound, I hated myself that much more. I went into surgery sure I would find a way to fail this, too.

Now I know. It wasn't me. I did the best I could. Now, I have that level playing field. My hunger hormones are in check. My life is my own. Now I CAN eat in a healthy way, can work out in a healthy way, can control my body and my choices. For me, WLS was my last resort. Whatever you decide, please know that I will support you.

Julie
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

ya know, imp, you've raised a HUGELY important point. Getting to the point of considering WLS, let alone actually DOING it, is not a punishment for failure, being a bad person, not doing it right, not living right, or whatever ideas we might have about weight loss. IT'S A DECISION. one that's made so that we can be healthier.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/177/140

Height: 5'6"

Twilit Tera, I wish you well! Sending you supportive thoughts as you make your decision.

A positive story for you: Both of my parents had WLS (lap band) a little over two years ago. My dad was over 400 lbs at his heaviest. He lost a little before surgery, and now, two years post-WLS is close to his goal weight of 200 lbs. My mom was near 300. It's been harder for her to lose the weight, but she has done it and is under 200. The journey hasn't been all roses and unicorns for them, but they both have continued to lose two years out. Neither has the goal of being skinny, but they both want to be healthier. It's helped my dad with controlling his diabetes, and my mom is able to move around better. Their improved health means the world to me, my brother, and their grandbabies.
Alegria25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #8  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilit tera View Post
Does anybody have anything they'd like to tell someone who's confused, frustrated, and scared?
I guess I was out "living my life" when the negative responses to this question came forward. I'm glad I missed them.

Add me to the list of post-ops whose only misgiving is not having done this sooner.

This is not the easy way out. If you have any food demons, eventually you will have to figure out a way to overcome them, with or without this surgery. However, unlike traditional dieting, WLS gives you the opportunity to succeed at weight loss. When the hormone ghrelin is reduced with the DS, RNY, or VSG, your hunger is reduced. The restriction will always help you eat less. Of course, if you eat out of boredom or eat the wrong types of food, you can eat around the tool. And many people do, hence some of the negative hype associated with WLS.

You should be confused, frustrated, and scared at this point. You are just beginning your research and non-ops often spread misinformation about the procedures. WLS is a place where urban legends congregate; just about everyone "knows" someone who died (more than likely not WLS related) or gained all their weight back. Of course, they would never tell someone not to undertake a "regular" diet for the same reasons and yet you know the same arguments exist...

And then of course there is the underlying tones of morality, as if having help to regain your health is somehow an indication that you are subpar/morally inferior and need to suffer more. No thank you; I struggled most of my life trying to get healthy and I will gladly take the help WLS has given me, just as I will gladly take Novocaine when I have a tooth extracted.

I'm glad to see you posted at the other website and are being given information to consider. Keep asking questions and researching. As you can see from my signature, a lot has changed in my life in the 11 months since surgery. I am no longer trapped by my body; I am enjoying life, enjoying love, and happy that my preop health conditions are eliminated.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Tera-

I hope you weren't completely scared off. I am not going to tell you definately go for surgery or definately do XYZ diet plan. But what I will say is there are a number of very supportive people here who have a TON of knowledge. I am very early in the process of WLS, but one thing I know already is I wish I would have started the process sooner. The other suggestion I have for you is continue with the process. There are "hoops to jump through" appointments to be made, insurance issue to deal with, and those take time. So continue persuing surgery if you think it is right for you. Continue researching to find out if it is right for you. You can always turn back before your date of surgery, but at least you will have the process started if you decide to go through with surgery.

Last edited by KateB; 07-12-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: fix some typos
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I was out living my life as well - yesterday, I hosted a potluck at my home for my circle of local WLS friends! I highly recommend you try connecting with WL folks in your area. I personally know a lot of post-WLS patients in Texas, so I know you're in good company I started meeting up with other WLS patients nearly a YEAR before I actually had my surgery. I attended WLS support groups to listen to others' successes and struggles, and I connected with a local group of folks with the same surgery I decided I wanted to have (the duodenal switch), and we had gathering every month or two at restaurants or potlucks at someone's house. The in-person, real-life support is amazing to have as a pre-op because they will truly tell it like it is. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had about bowel movements, gas, and other bodily functions over dinner

You're not in an uncommon place mentally right now - choosing to have surgery is a struggle for most. But the majority of people I know who have had WLS say their only major regret is not having done it sooner (except for those with bands - some are absolutely successful, but more seem to have more struggles), and I think that says a LOT.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #11  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

I am not sure if the info I found comparing the various points between the 4 more common types will be of use but maybe it will: http://www.surgicalweightlosssolutio...comparison.pdf

Best of luck... Shell
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #12  
Releasing the inner hiker

Thank you Jiffy for having to clean up this post again.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

another reminder, folks!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ead-first.html
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I just want to say:

I didn't have WLS but I have a friend who did go that route. I think it is terrible that people actually think that either option is EASY or some kind of moral decision. Everyone on this thread has my utmost respect and admiration.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #15  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

guilty of being out living life...

It is not an easy road to travel but I do not regret my decision to have GBP in the least! I ended up changing my food obsession to nutrition and exercise obsession for the first few years and am now learning how to continue to use the tools that WLS gave me to maintain 100+ weight loss.

I never tell people that WLS is the right choice for them, it is a very personal decision, but once you have made that decision, we are here for you to cheer you on, hold you up when you are struggling, answer questions as best we can.

Thank you Jiff for keeping the negativity out of it and keeping this person who has hit that place of desperation, one that we all had to get to to even consider WLS in the first place, out of the line of fire. Tera, you have the right to consider ANYTHING that you deem necessary to save or improve your life!

Was is easy, no. Is it easy even 4+ years out, no. Would I do it again, in a heart beat.

Good for you Tera for asking the hard questions!!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 08-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote