Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #31  
Old Cackler

GReat information, Klassy - did you have followup care lined up before you went to india? or did you find it afterwards? that's the one thing that scares me about out-of-country surgery, even though i know that the results can be great
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

I did talk with my primary care physician before going to India and he was very supportive. I also do not have healthcare insurance.

I have kept in touch with my surgeon should a problem arise, though so far there has been none that I didn't create myself........a little dumping.

At the time I went the choice was surgery in India or get heavier and heavier with a slew of health problems, of which now I have none.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #33  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlassyKid View Post
I did talk with my primary care physician before going to India and he was very supportive. I also do not have healthcare insurance.

I have kept in touch with my surgeon should a problem arise, though so far there has been none that I didn't create myself........a little dumping.

At the time I went the choice was surgery in India or get heavier and heavier with a slew of health problems, of which now I have none.
So you paid a cool $8700 at best? Augh, that's amazing. I wish there was a way for me to come up with that kind of money! But my credit is shot and I am poor.

Still, thats a great price...
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #34  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Heh, I've actually become very callous with the few doctors I've had the privilege of seeing while overweight and without insurance (which makes you the person they care least about saving, even statistically and with anonymous polls in the health community.) and I swear if I came in with a broken leg, they would tell me to lose some weight to heal it and then boot me out.

Problem is, most hospitals seems to give me this impression that they wont treat you without Insurance unless its the ER, so I suppose I am a little ignorant about working around this. Well, ignorant may not be the word...I did extensive research, actually. Free clinics don't do the testing, regular clinics you need insurance for. So I wonder if I have to wait until my reproductive organs fall out in order to get treated....

I suppose its back to researching it. :/ -hopeful-
I can relate to the doctor's blaming every issue on weight, it is frustrating and sad

I am not a barrel of info or anything but I can tell you that I moved from Tennessee to New York 2.5 years ago. I have never had medical insurance. When I was in Tennessee I was being seen at the county health department. A few months ago, I signed up for Medicaid in New York and was approved. I have no copay or anything. It was easy to do and the process didn't take long at all. Now I can go to the doctor and get any necessary medicines. Have you checked into Medicaid? I didn't read through the entire thread (forgive me, it is going on 7am here and I haven't had sleep yet ) so if it has already been discussed, ignore me

Good luck
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #35  
You'll be given love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I can relate to the doctor's blaming every issue on weight, it is frustrating and sad

I am not a barrel of info or anything but I can tell you that I moved from Tennessee to New York 2.5 years ago. I have never had medical insurance. When I was in Tennessee I was being seen at the county health department. A few months ago, I signed up for Medicaid in New York and was approved. I have no copay or anything. It was easy to do and the process didn't take long at all. Now I can go to the doctor and get any necessary medicines. Have you checked into Medicaid? I didn't read through the entire thread (forgive me, it is going on 7am here and I haven't had sleep yet ) so if it has already been discussed, ignore me

Good luck
Well, coincidentally I am going on the fifth to see if I can't be signed up for Medicaid, actually. I don't have an appointment, but my cousin does and we're both hoping they will see me as a walk-in. What did you have to bring with you to sign up for it? I have my social security card, but that's about it. And I don't know if they would consider me unemployed as a freelance illustrator....but it's worth a try!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #36  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know someone who had gastric bypass with low income insurance (I can't tell you if it was medicaid but I'm guessing it was). Although she had lots of food issues she didn't work out prior or after her surgery so in the end, so she initially lost some weight but then she gained most of the weight back. But it seems like whether or not you get the surgery, you should look into getting the health insurance. If you decide to go for the surgery, then they might be able to help you with that as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #37  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Well, coincidentally I am going on the fifth to see if I can't be signed up for Medicaid, actually. I don't have an appointment, but my cousin does and we're both hoping they will see me as a walk-in. What did you have to bring with you to sign up for it? I have my social security card, but that's about it. And I don't know if they would consider me unemployed as a freelance illustrator....but it's worth a try!
I had to have social security card, picture id and birth certificate. I also had to have a certified letter from my boyfriend stating that he provides shelter and food for me and that I am not currently employed. I wish you the best of luck
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #38  
You'll be given love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I had to have social security card, picture id and birth certificate. I also had to have a certified letter from my boyfriend stating that he provides shelter and food for me and that I am not currently employed. I wish you the best of luck
Thank you! And drat, I seem to be missing one element of that...the birth certificate. DX Gotta get on that, it seems. And have my roommate-and-sometimes-pretend-spouse write the letter. heh