Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #16  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Start with the physical and figure out whats going on. Its cheaper and you can ask questions about whats going in with your body, what you need to do to get WLS (most people I know seem to need to lose little before they get it), and it will a first step toward WLS if you decide to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Very, very good advice here. I guess my mind has just had enough of being in this body and is glitching out due to it not happening fast enough!

And I am 27 years old. I haven't had a physical since high school. Kind of afraid to have one, you know? I'm a bit of a recluse, but I am trying to change that at least by working walks into my regime. As for the weight loss I have a crushing worry its mostly water. I got on the scale and its up to freaking 305.1. I hope its just a random fluctuation in weight.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #17  
Old Cackler

Neb - there are clinical trials in two major topics: what happens to diabetics who aren't quite heavy enough for WLS under the current rules, and what happens to teenagers with lapband or gastric bypass.

so, i'm not sure you'd qualify for either. unfortunately.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #18  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

Oogh, yeah...probably not! Oh well, I did randomly receive a reply from an organization I contact months ago (in a fit of desperation, lol) and they wanted me to stay in contact with them for their 2011 cycle since 2010 is completed. I guess that's a good thing as it both gives me time to see if my body can change and all. That's of course assuming in the rare chance it -does- happen.
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi.

I can really empathize because for some darn reason, I could not get my body to drop weight calorie-counting.....after trying and trying. SO:

I went on Atkins...very low carb....and complete reversal....losing weight was no problem. AND I was not hungry due to the generous amounts of fats allowed.

Now prior to that, I did have BW done to make sure my thyroid was functioning....which it was. But the Dr. did think my metabolism was "sluggish".

Now you MUST follow the plan diligently...exactly...as in the 2002 Atkins book....which I would recommend reading before starting. I stayed on the induction phase the entire time because it was working so well for me....but...I NEVER went off plan and never put even a taste of a non-allowed carb in my mouth.

Also, low-carb is already recommended for blood-sugar alterations...be it diabetes, pre-diabetes, insulin-resistance (and PCOS would be on this list also).....so it would be good for your diagnosis, to boot.

I can explain the whole process if you'd like (how and why low-carb is good and works) but you can also learn all about this in not only the 2002 Atkins book, but also in a great book called "Good calories, Bad calories" by Gary Taubes.....very eye-opening.

Look, I have no problem with calorie counting plans. They have worked and are working amazingly well for many folks here and can help folks be successful in a diet plan/eating plan. What's also good is that it prepares you for maintenance...in terms of knowing how many calories you can eat and how to stick with that.
BUT...I could NOT get it to work for me...and it was so frustrating. I could not figure out how strict calorie-counting was not causing weight loss for me.
Every time I got on the scale, I was cursing the skies (or crying)....because I was trying so hard...and nothing was happening for me. I wanted to believe it was a thyroid problem...so medication might fix it...but no, the labs showed it was functioning normally.

This is just my own theory...but I believe that I possibly have an alteration in my carb metabolism. And when I eat simple carbs, no matter how many calories, my body clings to that weight and won't let go. There are certain people who are "carb addicts"....and this also points to there being a possible alteration in carb metabolism...in certain individuals.

I mean...you could try it. No harm in just trying it, right? If you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, just drop it. It could at least give you some indication of whether or not you might have a carb metabolism problem.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #20  
You'll be given love...

Thats true, I could try it. But I already eat so few carbs as it is...Sparkpeople keeps whinging at me about it like HOW DARE YOU EAT SO MUCH PROTEIN AND SO LITTLE FAT YOU ARE GOING TO DIIIIIIEE.

As for atkins? Hrm, well...I'm certainly thinking on it, but restricting certain food groups from my diet temporarily has never worked for me. My brain just wont do it, you know? And I am exactly the sort of person who would fail if told to not eat meat or carbs or dairy or vegetables. What worries me about Atkins is the ketosis itself and how it supposedly mauls energy levels which I have so little of and makes one cranky!

But in the end if nothing gives after say, a month? I might have to try your suggestion regardless. Just to try and find -something-. I feel like I should have lost more than 10 pounds in two months, though. Or am I an ingrate..I dunno! But I'm certainly not above doing what I can!

As for the past week or so I have knocked my calorie intake down to a comfortable 1200-1400 calories. I havent been ravenous at all so far, which is good. I dont miss bread now that I have the flat bread and pitas for far less puffyness and calories and drinking a lot more water has helped me. I'm also trying to work out a whole lot more.

I guess I'm gonna give it 3 weeks or so and see if I cant get down 4-6 pounds like I should at the correct rate. But thanks for the in-depth input! I'm glad something finally worked for you. ^^
Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #21  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Thats true, I could try it. But I already eat so few carbs as it is...Sparkpeople keeps whinging at me about it like HOW DARE YOU EAT SO MUCH PROTEIN AND SO LITTLE FAT YOU ARE GOING TO DIIIIIIEE.
Why are you eating so little fat? My tracking thingy always told me I was eating too much protein, too, but if you're eating very little fat, I'd bet your carb intake is higher than you think. I know it doesn't sound easy, but pre-op and even now that I'm no longer easily losing weight after my surgery, low carbing was the absolute BEST plan for me, and that includes NOT restricting fat intake. Recent studies show that fat is actually only bad for you if eaten WITH carbs - a diet high in fat and low in carbs does NOT cause the things people tend to associate with high fat such as high cholesterol, weight gain, or other cardiovascular health risks.

When I stopped counting calories and started focusing on the types of foods I was eating (re: protein first, fat second, carbs dead last), I was much more successful.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #22  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I am hearing a lot of excuses and not a lot of action!

And Atkins isn't about restricting certain food groups for a short amount of time it's about restructuring the way you eat. It works .

I understand that you want the procedure badly. But you have to understand that it's not a quick fix. If you don't readjust your attitudes toward food you can and WILL gain the weight back. Why not make some real changes now and stop waiting around for a fix . It may be harsh but it's reality. Nobody ever lost weight waiting around for it to happen.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #23  
Old Cackler

Val, what you're seeing as 'excuses' I'm seeing as exploration and questioning.

Neb - just about all of us who've had ANY of the surgeries seem to end up on some sort of carb-controlled plan. whether it's more atkins-induction or south beach is entirely individual. and i think that's the bottom line message.

What Jilly outlined is pretty much the way we're all supposed to eat. and, with the altered absorption some of us have, eating protein first - and a bit more of it than 'normally recommended' is truly important. veggies are next. then fruit. then other carbs - and it's on a 'space available' basis - with the emphasis on high quality carbs.

right after surgery i was told to eat not more than a total of 30 grams of carbs per day - not more than 15 grams per eating episode [i hesitate to call them MEALS!]. that limit was gradually relaxed, but there's no way i should be eating 100+ grams per day [and now you can see how i gained some of the weight back!!!!]

surgery or not, you'll still have to make changes that work FOR YOU. it's not usually a good idea to stay on atkins induction forever - people need veggies and fruit. so eating to ketosis shouldn't be a forever thing. like you said, ya gotta function. and what's the point of making all these changes if you don't feel better and have more energy???

keep up the exploration - and the good work!!!!

Last edited by jiffypop; 10-22-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #24  
You'll be given love...

Jill: Well, I had thought that getting more almonds and other nut-fats in would increase the intake, but it still may not be enough. I also think its because the tracker would like me to eat 1800 calories a day when I am doing the 1200 recomended by a friend who is a nutritionist. Because my metabolic rate is crap. As for carbs? Sparknutrition yells at me for that, too. Apparently I just dont get enough. Possibly due to the flat bread or things I make with almond meal. I'm murderous with the protein though. I keep going -over- since I eat a lot of fowl and fish. My biggest carb day was 88 net carbs (I only eat complex carbs, no refined) and it suggests like 90-130 more!!) So yeah, its a bit confusing.

Valrock: "Harsh"? I can do harsh, but you just assumed a whole helluva lot about me. My eating has been completely revamped thanks to Spark Nutrition and obsessive reading about food. And before restricting my calories? I hadn't had processed food in 6 months. Tell me I am making "excuses" or being "lazy" in lieu of the waiting around bit? It reeks of the "Stupid lazy fatty!" tone I hear outside of this website, especially when working out like a slave for two hours a day and putting my all into this. The reason I want the surgery is because I fear there is something wrong with me health wise, and I'm looking into it. Not really cool with hearing it that kinda rhetoric here...but thanks for your input, anyway.

Jiffypop: Sparkfolks wants me to have like...150. And I don't want that. I eat half that at best and it scolds me. XD
Old 10-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #25  
Old Cackler

Neb - you don't sound like a person who would EVER let a computer program run your life!

My suggestion, though, is to find a dietician/some other professional clinician who can be more impartial than your friend. Not that she's necessarily steering you wrong, but a second opinion may be in order, especially since you don't know right now if you're diabetic, hypoglycemic, hypothyroid, or WHAT.

seriously. honest. above everything else, ya gotta be healthy, and lose weight in a way that works FOR YOU, and that'll take a bit more exploration to figure out.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #26  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm sorry if I was 'harsh'. You just sound an awful lot like me six years ago and it didn't get me anywhere then. I never ended up getting the WLS and I'm glad I didn't.

First and foremost... you need to have a consult with a doctor and go from there. Like jiffypop said... you never know what issues you may have going on that are making weight loss hard for you. It's a struggle for everyone... If it was easy we'd all be skinny.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #27  
You'll be given love...

Valrock: Yes, I do need to hightail it to the doctor's office. It's going to be quite a toughy though, so many of the clinics in this city give me a lot of "We don't do that sort of testing" when it comes to say...thyroid, insulin resistance, etc. But I'm still going to look.

I hear you on not getting the surgery, though. A lot of the people here who have lost weight without it give me some inspiration; at least enough to get checked out and give myself a six month buffer before I try for it again.

I mean, you did it and I bet it was hard...but you still got it done. Which is inspiring. <3

Jiffypop: Very wise words. Still hard without insurance, but I suppose if there is a will, there is a way. I -fear- that I have PCOS. I do bleed for 3-5 months at a time with 3 day breaks every now and then. And I was hoping that was just another pound of flesh I pay for being overweight. But, the more I read? The more I seem to have some of the symptoms.

Worriesome, but eh.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #28  
Old Cackler

darlin - bleeding for months at a time with only occasional breaks IS NOT NORMAL at any age - but you're not even 30!!!

please remember - every single person is entitled to good medical care. DO NOT let docs/nurses/other healthcare professionals get away with the 'you're overweight and this will go away when you lose weight' line.

that is NOT providing medical care - it is verging on malpractice, because they are jumping to a conclusion that they haven't justified with appropriate testing. While weight may be a factor here, there are very likely OTHER things going on.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #29  
You'll be given love...

Heh, I've actually become very callous with the few doctors I've had the privilege of seeing while overweight and without insurance (which makes you the person they care least about saving, even statistically and with anonymous polls in the health community.) and I swear if I came in with a broken leg, they would tell me to lose some weight to heal it and then boot me out.

Problem is, most hospitals seems to give me this impression that they wont treat you without Insurance unless its the ER, so I suppose I am a little ignorant about working around this. Well, ignorant may not be the word...I did extensive research, actually. Free clinics don't do the testing, regular clinics you need insurance for. So I wonder if I have to wait until my reproductive organs fall out in order to get treated....

I suppose its back to researching it. :/ -hopeful-
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Has anyone here had weight loss surgery without insurance...and also while being quite, err...broke?
Yes I have. I went to India for mine. The cost here in California was $33,000 and that only included one nights stay in the hospital. The cost in India was $7,800 and that included seven days in the hospital, all medications and pre-surgery tests e.g. Blood work, EKG and upper endoscopy. The only thing I had to pay for on top was a return air ticket which cost me $1,200 from San Francisco. The care was exceptional and could not be faulted at all. The staff were wonderful. They even picked me up at the airport and took me back when it was time to go home.

My husband took the money out of his 401k retirement plan. I did have surgery for another problem some years earlier and did it using two credit cards......big mistake. That took us YEARS to pay off as we were broke then.

I plan on going back to India in about 12 months for plastic surgery. This time my husband will be going with me.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote