Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 310/CW-PreWLS 265/GW 140

Red face Best Yogurt?

What brand of yogurt do you suggest for post-WLS? I am having vertical gastrectomy next week and am trying to stock my house with things for the next few weeks. Is there a flavored greek yogurt that is low carb/sugar? I'd like the extra protein, but it is so difficult to find a yogurt that is under 16g carbs (DR recommendation). The only one that I have found is Light n Fit.

Also, any other suggestions before I take the ultimate plunge into life? I am soooo ready.
livlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I suggest Greek yogurt plain, and add your own mix-ins and flavorings. That way, you have total control over any extra sugars being added.

Personally, I never got much into the Greek yogurt thing, and regular yogurt had too many carbs for my liking (though there is a chain of grocery stores that carry a low-carb yogurt called Carbmaster yogurt - I have never found it near me, but my mom buys it at Kroger in Virginia Beach). So, yogurt was never part of my post-op diet. Early out, when I progressed beyond just protein shakes and chicken broth, I ate egg salad and ham salad (practically pureed with a food processor), scrambled eggs with cheese (cooked soft, not too dry), a little cottage cheese, no sugar added instant pudding, no sugar added popsicles and fudgesicles...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #3  

Greek Yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt. You should look for one with no additions - just milk and yogurt cultures. I like Trader Joe's. Greek yogurt is very thick and creamy, has 7 g of carbs and 6 of sugar. The sugar you see in it is not added sugar, it is from the natural sugar in milk.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

FAGE.

FAGE.

FageFageFageFageFage.

(Is there any other yogurt?) ;-)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I love light & fit vanilla mmmm mmmm. They also sell a low carb version of light and fit, my DH eats it every day, its called Dannon Carb Control

http://www.dannoncarbcontrol.com/pro...carbsugar.html
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW 310/CW-PreWLS 265/GW 140

Thank you all for the suggestions. Looks like I will be trying a few different ones!
livlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
I love light & fit vanilla mmmm mmmm. They also sell a low carb version of light and fit, my DH eats it every day, its called Dannon Carb Control

http://www.dannoncarbcontrol.com/pro...carbsugar.html
I've never seen those - I've seen the "Light & Fit," but I may have to check the labels a bit closer for the carb control varieties. The other Light & Fit ones aren't particularly low in carbs. Thanks for pointing out!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

there's also Chobani greek yogurt, and a few other brands. and seriously, the plain, low fat/fat free is the way to go.

however, did you know that you can MAKE YOUR OWN greek yogurt? It's nothing more than STRAINED yogurt [says so right on the label!] so, pick up a large container of whatever regular [non-greek] yogurt brand you like [even the local grocery store brand is fine] = PLAIN, LOW FAT OR FAT FREE. put a coffee filter, paper towel, or cheesecloth into a strainer, put the strainer over a bowl so that it doesn't touch the bottom, and dump the yogurt into the strainer.

put it in the refrig for a couple of hours - 2-4 should do it. and you're done!

now, a word of 'warning' about eating after surgery. it's a little tricky. what will work one day will be difficult the next. so follow your doc's instructions, and keep in mind that you're healing, so be gentle with yourself.

good luck!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I've never seen those - I've seen the "Light & Fit," but I may have to check the labels a bit closer for the carb control varieties. The other Light & Fit ones aren't particularly low in carbs. Thanks for pointing out!
You are welcome
Its been out for years (my DH does Atkins)... but not many stores carry it. If your local grocer doesn't have it tell them to get some... our local store will order anything you ask them to. It comes in a 4 pack, the only flavors I've seen are vanilla and strawberry. I like the vanilla

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #10  

I've tried making the strained plain yogurt and it is not Greek yogurt when your done. The nutritional info is still a lot less and it doesn't taste as good.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
It comes in a 4 pack, the only flavors I've seen are vanilla and strawberry. I like the vanilla
Strawberry is actually one of my favorite yogurt flavors, so no complaints here! I will check EVERY grocery store I'm in over the next few weeks I know from experience that even 2 different locations of the same chain don't always carry the same items, so I will check each of the 3 Giants I pass on my way to work each day :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
there's also Chobani greek yogurt, and a few other brands. and seriously, the plain, low fat/fat free is the way to go.
I actually much prefer Chobani over Fage. I remember when Greek yogurt was first becoming a more widespread thing, and I had tried the Fage and dismissed it completely. Then I tried Chobani, and I liked it much more. I also don't mind Oikos, though I have difficulty finding Oikos that isn't fat free (I eat full fat everything).

So there's another tip, too - you may want to try more than one brand
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #12  

I always prefer plain yogurt for no particular reason...but that is just me..
samantha collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

wow, susan - i haven't run into that! i can't tell the difference.

well, that's not strictly true. i usually buy the 2% greek yogurt, but can only find fat free or 1% large containers of yogurt when i decided to be thrifty and make my own. and that alone makes a taste difference.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Choban is my favorite
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #15  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I like Fage and Chobani The Yoplait is GROSSSSSSSSS

There is also whipped cottage cheese if you want something savory v good with italian seasoning and parm cheese

If they have you doing protein powder in addition it's very good mixed in greek yogurt just mix a little bit at a time so it's incorporated
and adding a smidge of vanilla to it is dreamy
KO is offline   Reply With Quote