Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Default What makes you gain weight?

I was wondering what specific types of food or actions you've noticed that cause you the most weight gain. The three things I've noticed over the years that cause me to quickly gain weight are:

Eating *anything* when I'm not really hungry.
Cream cheese, usually in the form of cheese cake.
Smarties....those tiny disc shaped candies.

Those are the 3 things that come to mind that always pack on the pounds (fat, not water) instantly. I'm curious what experiences others have had.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I self-sabotage a lot. So comfort eating is a big one for me...I know I shouldn't but I get this sick weird feeling of just not caring and not feeling I deserve better. It doesn't matter what the food is, but I tend to go for bread...simple carbs...sweets somewhat, but I prefer savoury. Toast and butter.

One thing that must make me put on weight - as it certainly comes off if I cut it out is potato chips/ crisps at lunch with a sandwich. I really should just cut the crisps out completely. They are bad for me. Junky take-away suppers a couple of times a week and I blimp out. AND I feel bad, too as I'm a gal who really needs lots of fruit and veggies to feel good.

But really it's just eating too much - not any particular type of food - other than the crisps.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshauna View Post
Eating *anything* when I'm not really hungry.
This is probably my biggest problem. It used to be something I did when stressed but the last time I did it was because the restaurant here actually had two different meals I wanted. Normally, the vast majority of what they cook, I don't like. So seeing two things I wanted was like...whoa... So I got one, came back several hours later, got the other. I wasn't hungry but damn... >.<

I don't really notice any problems with particular foods. If I eat something high in calories, all that typically means is I can't eat a lot more later in the day. /sigh
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #4  
Momma X2

S/C/G: 252/228.2/140

Height: 5'4.5

Night time eating is my biggest problem. I am a healthy eater during the day... when darkness falls... I liked to have my share of Ruffles chips, chased by a can of diet pepsi! :P I am a carb addict, I love my bread too.
goldhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #5  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

My favorite meal - I would eat this several times during the week when I am at my lowest/not working out/not caring. Now it's a meal I only eat if I am severly hungover [oops] or really craving comfort food which luckily is not often b/c this is bad.

1/2 - 3/4 box pasta
red sauce
butter
ricotta or mozz.
LOTS of parm cheese
salt & pepper

I mix it all together - it's my favorite...this & velveeta shells & cheese!

My stomach is always puffed out the entire next day thanks to the loads of cals and sodium...

Last edited by lm3898; 04-20-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: addition
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #6  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Butter, cheese and cake.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

My downfall is cheesy/crunchy/salty combos. Things like cheddar/sour cream Ruffles chips, or CheezIts, or Doritos ... if a bag gets opened in my presence, I am going to the bottom of it, no matter how big it is.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Sometimes giving in to a craving will make me go overboard and eat all sorts of crap, and definitely if I am emotionally upset over something, that tends to lead me astray too
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would have to say junky carbs and highly processed ones. I can be out of control with cereal, granola bars, candies, chips, you name it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #10  
too big to fail

Chinese food. I don't gain fat because I still count calories, but I gain water from all the sodium.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #11  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Restaurant meals.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Eating extra junk after I've had a few - usually gigantic slices of pizza and/or candy bars from corner stores.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #13  
Kami

S/C/G: 318/287/160

Height: 5'3

Bread
Cheese
Chocolate
MamaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #14  

Height: 5'4

Being tired + boredom = instant overeating!

If I have not been sleeping well (which is fairly often for me) it's much harder to feel satisfied with my normal meals. I know it is a physiological issue; leptin levels dip, ghrelin levels skyrocket, and my willpower takes a nose dive in addition to that.

Add that late afternoon slump to it when there is nothing to distract me, and I'm a goner! I end up looking at food websites online and watching Food Network which is just a recipe for disaster. I might be FAMISHED (again, totally physiological) and then I have one small snack. That would normally hold me over, but if I'm tired and bored... no way.

I am maintaining my current fitness, so my conversations with myself end up as "I'm tired, I'm fixating on food, I must NEED to re-feed/carb up, right?" Hello binge... LOL I'll spend the rest of the day eating everything in sight and THAT is what makes me gain weight.

I usually lose it all within a week or two, after I have a food baby, but it's still not something I like. It's not the same as when I enjoy myself on special occasions - it's a desperate "screw it, I give up" mentality because I'm just too tired to resist.

They say that sleep is just as important as diet and exercise for weight management, and for me, I could NOT agree more!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #15  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Not getting enough sleep which then leads to worse food choices. Without a doubt that is the biggest reason I ever go off plan. Maybe the ONLY reason I ever get off plan - just not enough sleep. Get enough sleep - good decisions are much easier.

I think it's for two reasons.

1. you think better/rationally when well rested and
2. you don't rely on food/sugar for a pick-me-up as you don't need a pick-me-up because you aren't overly tired.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote