Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #1  
is chubby

Default What made you gain weight?

I was watching this series "addicted to food" and it made me realise how sometimes the reason why we gained weight is the best place to start working on if we want to get thinner.

I bet nobody simply woke up one day and said "Oh jolly, I want to gain weight. Lets eat a bit more today!" So something or someone guided us down that path, most times mischieviously hidden from our consciousness.

I'll start with myself.

I was always an active and athletic kid, not very competitive but muscular and normal weight. At 16 I had to give up all sports and fun activities to study 24/7 to enter medical school. Then two years later when I entered the Uni of my choice I had lost all muscle and gained a few pounds (10-12 pounds).

I then entered a team and was on my way to becomming athletic again. Then my world pretty much fell appart as my mother was diagnosed with malignant cancer, I broke my ankle at two points during a tournament and my elder sisters abused me.

Then I gained another 28 pounds. My depression got a hold of me and put my academic career on hold for five whole years. Last year I finally felt good enough to start living again. I abandoned all bad habbits, begun studying again and a month ago I started a diet to return to my pre 16 weight and athletic body type.

I never told my parents about my suicidal tendencies and deep depression. They only believe I was rebellious and lazy. So I'm pretty much fighting this alone with my lovely fiance and future husband.

Life was a struggle from meal to meal the last five years and now I live again in between.

This is what made me gain weight. What about you?
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #2  
Medifasting since 5/13/10

S/C/G: 235/???/135

Height: 5'4"

I was very active in high school, but always weighed more than everyone else and would always gain weight rapidly but then stabilize. After graduation I started packing on the pounds. I gained 10 during freshman yr of college, another 15 during the summer after and first semester of sophomore year, lost that 15 during the second semester, gained the 15+ an extra 10 back while I studied abroad, and then steadily gained from there until last may, when I got up to 235. During the period of gaining steadily, I went through a bad relationship, horrible break up, and felt generally isolated and depressed. I would sit in my dorm room for days, leaving only for class and food (of course). There would be days where I wouldnt speak to another person, besides on the phone, because I was so unhappy and shut myself off from my friends.

Surprisingly, going to law school last yr made me a lot happier than it makes most people. In college I felt like my friends were never really 100% for me...if that makes sense? I felt like I was too shy (never been the new girl) to befriend people who were my "type," and when I came to law school I made a conscious effort to get to know everyone and then settle down with the people who I clicked with the most, not just the people who were too shy to makes friends too. And when I was happier, it was finally time for me to want to lose weight.
BarristerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I was always a lanky teenager (ie 90lbs at 5'5) without any thought or care about food, it was my natural figure (albiet very weak), my parents never had money but my mom worked at a grocery store and always brought home free veggies/meats so we never had junk food or takeout (couldn't afford it). Then I got to college, had a boyfriend, and ate restaurant food every day, 3x a day, quickly went from 90ishlbs to 150lbs without realizing!!!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

A combination od anti depressants, low activity level, and too much takeout when extra scholarship money to blow. : \
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8

well with me its definately depression!

i just lost 1 pound since last week(YEAH)!and i have 83 to go.
i started 2 eat 4 comfort in 1997 and at that time i was 165,sad thing is,i thought i was an obese whale at 165,and 2 think that 155 is my goal now

but good 4 you Chubbykins 4 getting back on track
Tohisha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #6  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

These are the reasons why I think I gained and took so long to lose weight for real.

Avoiding the scale/not owning one
Having no idea about calories in vs calories out
Thinking I should be able to eat as much as my bf who is 8 inches taller
Being told I was meant to be big
Changing activity levels and still eating as much

Basically denial, lack of education about nutrition and exercise and impatience and a very unhealthy idea of how fast large amounts of weight could and should be lost.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 328/322/175

Height: 5'6"

Birth control, stress, and waiting to eat until I was starving and feeling weak at which point I would grab a soda to get my blood sugar up and then scarf on anything I could find (this was due to the stress)
Sparkly Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Combination of life events for me. In reality, I wasn't heavy until I became an adult and started dieting. Before that, I was just made to feel larger than normal.

1. Controlling relationships - mother, ex-husband, church
2. Depression - antidepressant and antianxiety meds
3. Chronic bronchitis - steroidal inhaler and asthma meds
4. Undiagnosed sleep apnea - I ate a lot to stay awake
5. Soy allergy - serious inflammation

Once I got it all figured out, I stopped gaining weight and then started losing. Feeling free now! And I'll eventually settle into my natural weight again.

Last edited by geoblewis; 05-01-2011 at 06:35 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #9  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

I always struggled with my weight my entire life. When I was 11 my parents divorced and I moved to Miami with my mom. When I was 15 we found out about LA Weight Loss and I joined and lost 60lbs in about 3 1/2 months. I was soooo happy and looked so great! Then something happened and I had to move back to NJ with my dad. Everything was so different there. My dad would kick me out the drop of a dime, not let me home for days, we barely had any food ever so I pretty much ate at different friends houses. Surprisingly enough I didn't gain weight even going through all of this. But when a week before I graduated my dad told me I had to move out (I wasn't a bad kid at all normal teenage got decent grades.etc.. my dad just had really weird rules and if I did one thing wrong I'd be kicked out for days and locked outta the house) & thats when the weight gain started. While everyone's planning to graduate & go to college I was trying to figure out where the heck i was gonna live! My best friend who I would stay with off & on,we'd got into a fight so I didn't wanna let my pride down and go to her. So i ended up sleeping in my cars some nights & staying in hotel rooms. LUCKILY i had a job as a waitress at a 24/7 diner so I would constantly work so I had a place to be + I was saving up $$. But thats when it all started. I graduated in June at 200lbs( i was 175-180 all throughout high school but toward the last few months I gained about 30lbs) and by September I was 285!!! i GAINED almost 75lbs in 3 months!! It was all from the fast food I was eating and the time I would eat. I didn't have a place to really sit down & have a healthy meal & bc didn't have much $$ I had to grab food cheap & fast. I would get off work at 4am 5am 6am & I would get Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds. The thing is I didn't even notice! & i was only eating like once or twice a day but the foods I was eating were so fattening & terrible I gained it that quickly!

So 2 years ago I moved out on my own to PA bc NJ was way too expensive and now live in my own home It Feels so good to know that noone can tell me I gotta leave! I come and go as I please.

So thats how I gained all my weight.

But now Im working on finally getting it all off me once and for all!!!

CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #10  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I was always overweight. Not fat, but chunky. I remember binge eating a time or two just before college. In college, I was a normal weight--I drank too much and didn't eat healthily, but I stayed at a decent weight. I went on the pill and gained 80 lbs--my endocrinologist was able to explain why over a decade later. I went off the pill and lost most of it. I was on the top of the world, was raped, and I fell into a hole and simply wanted to hide from the world. I stopped caring about the width of my ***. I quit going to the gym. I wanted disgusting food and ate it...in mass quantities.

...and here I am now. I'm at 283 instead of 334. I'm back in the saddle and trying to lose what I regained over the holidays and while laid off. Life is good again.

Last edited by AZ Sunrises; 05-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5

Lets see--
moving in with my S/O. I started eating and drinking his food and drink. He drinks beer, and loooves sausages and fatty meats, and carbs.

I thought, "Oh, I'm such a twig--it won't hurt"--and now it isn't coming off--it was hard enough to put on the breaks of weight gain--and its been years now--years of trying to lose it.

Also, birth control probably--I switched from IUD to hormonal. And, of course, getting older.

But, I've heard from other sources that you have to watch out how others effect your eating. When you get used to eating with a S/O you might start eating faster--I remember my S/O used to remark on how slow I ate in the beginning, now my mother is remarking on how fast I wolf things down (like my S/O). And really, couldn't I have known that I don't eat the same portion size as a man who does three times as much exercise than me and has three times as much muscle? That would have helped to meditate on.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #12  
focused.

S/C/G: 125/65/65 (kg)

Height: 1.73/5'8"

well for as long as i remember myself i am "big". From 10-11 till 26yo.
I never ate junk food, maybe once a month or so. I come from a traditional greek family, and oh boy, the amount of food consumed was scary. Healthy food for sure, but in gigantic amounts.
Half of it was emotional eating - with the mindset that i was already too huge for my age, so getting even larger didnt matter at all.
Later in my teens i was diagnosed with chronic depression,and a lot of my eating habbits were starting to make more sence.
As i am against any kind of pills, i decided that i needed to make drastic changes in my lifestyle in order to at least start being fuctional again.
Engraved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #13  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

When I got to my highest weight it was because I was depressed, isolated myself from others, and ate a lot.

I have been overweight for about a decade now. Hard to admit that. Anyway, it's because I have not watched my portion sizes on the amazing different foods I've indulged in- lots of eating out. Add lots of food on top of not being active, and you have a recipe for fat.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #14  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

For me it was just eating too damn much. I can't really blame it on some change of lifestyle or spending time with some different person or baby weight or medication. I suffer from depression but that's not the cause of my weight gain.

No, none of that is what got me fat. What got me fat is that without consequences, I'd rather sit still than exercise, and I'd rather eat than not eat. I enjoy eating and just find it very easy to eat for pleasure without pondering consequences. I am the sort of person who can share a baguette and a block of fine cheese with my partner over martinis, and then sit down to a full, rich dinner.

That's the sort of behavior that got me fat, and that I had to make conscious efforts to change in order to lose the weight I've lost.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Ignorance. I didn't know any better. I have always been an emotional eater and I lived for that feeling of being stuffed/full. I didn't have anyone tell me it was too much until the habits were formed.

Plus, I just really like cheese, potatoes, pasta and milk. :P
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote