Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/159/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Need your opinion pls...

I'd like all of your opinions if you don't mind. My husband works out at the gym every day. He usually is at the gym at 4:30am and works out for an hour and a half. I had thought he worked out with a bunch of guys because that's all he ever talked about.

About 2 months ago he said he had started working out with a new girl every now and then. I was cool with that because I thought they all worked out together (small gym, small town). He told me Monday morning that he works out with her every day now, just the two of them. I'm trying not to be the 'jealous wife' because I totally trust my husband but I'm just not happy about this at all.

Part of it is I have always wanted to go to the gym with him, but am unable to because we have 5 kids and can't leave them at home alone. I guess I'm kind of annoyed that she gets to work out with him and I don't.

I'm also worried about how this looks to the others at the gym who know he's married. Like I said, small town and big mouths. lol

Am I coming across as the jealous wife? Should I not say anything? I've mentioned my concerns to him already but never said that I'd prefer he not work out with her solo every day.

Sorry so long and thanks!
Becky RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Hmmm...keep in mind that I am the jealous type...

You might have cause for concern. Probably nothing is going on, but sometimes when people spend lots of time together, friendship can turn into more even if the relationship was never supposed to be more than workout buddies.

Having lived in a small town, I know that it is like living in a fishbowl. People will talk, which could make things awkward for you and your kids.

I don't have advice on what you should do about it, but I don't think you would be out of line to ask him to switch to another gym (if one is in town), change his hours, or buy him a treadmill for his birthday.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't like it and would definitely say something. I do have a jealous streak also, but jealousy or not, if it makes YOU uncomfortable, out of respect for you and your relationship, he should switch up his routine.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Not to mention, would he be ok with you working out with another hot, staight man every day?
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
I wouldn't like it and would definitely say something. I do have a jealous streak also, but jealousy or not, if it makes YOU uncomfortable, out of respect for you and your relationship, he should switch up his routine.
This!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/135

Height: 5ft 3.5

I wouldn't like it either, and I would say something for sure. It starts with friendship then feelings may arise after that. To me, and I am married too, he should stick with his buddies while working out.
want2bskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #7  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

I don't consider myself the "jealous type" but this would bother me. The lines of friendship and too close are way too fuzzy for me to feel ok about anything like this....
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #8  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I just think it's inappropriate for a married person to spend time with the opposite sex for any reason. There are some things that can't be avoided such as work relationships or business lunches. Even if she shows up and works out with your dh and "they guys", that's tough to avoid. Just the two of them together, however, that just crosses a line.

I'd venture to guess that most people who end up having affairs don't necessarily plan it. It happens. IMHO, it's best not to put yourself in a situation where the casual friendship can turn in to something more.

It's not just jealousy and it's not about trust. It's just not appropriate. And the fact that you're uncomfortable with it? Instincts? If it doesn't look right or feel right, it's probably not right. The fact that he's not hiding it is a good sign, though.

I'd pull the plug on that one. If he doesn't like it and donsn't comply, then I say, pack up all five kids and join the two of them at the gym. Like you said, why does he get to work out, and why does she get to work out with him while you stay home with the kids?

Last edited by twinieten; 04-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #9  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

oh, that's terrible that you are unable to work out with him. I know it's a small town gym, do they have daycare? Yeah, I'm not 'too' jealous type, but I don't like the sound of your situation either. I think you are totally within your rights to talk to him, tell him how you feel. I would hope he would on his own, stop working out with her. But, on the bright side, he was upfront with you and told you he was working out with this chick...
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #10  
too big to fail

It's a recipe for trouble all right. I would have a chat with him.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #11  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

I would be angry... especially because you should be able to go to the gym as well. Talk to your husband and make it clear to him that you are uncomfortable. Maybe he doesn't even consider it something that would make you jealous. If you guys have a good line of communication already, then he should understand. I'm sorry you are going through this. In my culture it is not okay for married people to have friends of the opposite sex that are not mutual between the couple. So maybe my opinion is biased, but I would definitely not wait to bring this up with your husband. Good luck to you!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/159/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone. I'm going to talk to him about it later tonight.
Becky RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You asked for my opinion so here it is.

Sooner or later someone is going to develop more than friend type of feelings especially when they are doing physical activity together.

Whether you're the jealous type or not makes no difference.

If you guys are not in an open relationship this is very inappropriate.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #14  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

2 THINGS: 1. I have a jealous streak and have to say I would not be happy if I were in your position. Things like that can develop into something more...
2. Why don't you both go to the gym every other day instead of him getting to go everyday. Maybe if you worked out with her half of the time while your husband watched the kids it wouldn't be so strange...
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
You asked for my opinion so here it is.

Sooner or later someone is going to develop more than friend type of feelings especially when they are doing physical activity together.

Whether you're the jealous type or not makes no difference.

If you guys are not in an open relationship this is very inappropriate.
This. My husband also said he didn't find it appropriate, even if harmless right now.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote