Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #31  

I agree with everyone. Don't push it. There are ways of encouraging without commenting on the weightloss. If she's BFing encourage her to drink water (it helps keep the milk supply up and keeps her fuller longer) Tell her that once she's recovered you'd love to take a walk on a sunny day with her and the baby. Stuff like that encourages her health and weightloss without you coming across badly or making her feel bad. Good Luck!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #32  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

I never do unless specifically asked. People generally hate being lectured to, even if you have the best intentions for them and don't mean it that way. A lot of folks don't really want the "right" answer.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Don't say anything...Maybe her 20 pound "loss" might motivate her to take real steps.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by free1 View Post
Don't say anything...Maybe her 20 pound "loss" might motivate her to take real steps.
.'s

Agreed and you were not asked for advice. A friend celebrates victories, consoles losses and gives advice when asked or puts in her two cents worth during a discussion.

Also, and this is not directed at you, but I have been given bad advice by a Dr. a nutritionist and a trainer. Many so called professionsals in the field have a very narrow perspective and a very narrow field of education or too broad to know anything definite and lastly they don't know me. Again not relevant to your situation but just saying.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #35  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
I wouldn't say anything. My initial reaction would have been the same as yours, knowing that the big woosh of weight loss after giving birth is baby, placenta, and water weight. However, a large drop in weight after giving birth feels great and could be a springboard for her to lose more weight that IS actually fat. I wouldn't rain on her parade. Plus, having lots of experience being a post-partum mamma and people saying stupid things to me about my weight, if I were gushing to a good friend about dropping 20lbs, and she said to me, "You realize that is all water weight and not actually fat? It will probably either all come back or stall if you don't start to seriously diet and exercise," I would be none to pleased - especially with all the hormones raging!
+1
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #36  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Honestly, from what you've said it doesn't sound like she wants help or advice. If she did, she ask for it or hint around for it.

Personally, I never bring up food/exercise/weight unless I'm almost literally forced to do it. People have their own opinions, it's very emotional, and few (if any) people actually want to know what someone else is doing. At least, not if it's plain ol' diet and exercise.

I wouldn't say anything about it. Just say, "Wow, that's great that you lost all that weight!" Because she did technically lose weight, and it's likely that really all she wants is a congrats for her loss.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote