Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #31  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

what helped you lose weight??
counting calories
taking it slow & easy
cutting WAY BACK on sugar

what motivated you?
my health was not-so-great & getting worse
I looked like ****

what was your routine?
I assume you mean exercise.
I just try to get at least 30 minutes of movement each day.

what exercises did you find helpful?
I like to do what's fun. Swimming, biking, taking a walk on the beach.
I also enjoy yoga, esp. when I'm feeling "not so limber".
I like lifting weights and I do that, too, but I need to do it MORE OFTEN
and that's my NY resolution for 2012.

Also, I am considering taking up karate lessons. (that will depend on cost)
Like I said... "FUN".
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #32  
Shrinking Southern belle

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'3

The first 7 weeks I did calorie counting and regular exercise and lost 25 lbs. Then plateaued and started the PALEO eating plan and have lost another 11 lbs.
tommienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 178/162/140

Height: 5'7"

Initially, meal replacements. Now I revert to them whenever I feel like I need to remind myself of what a 250 calorie meal looks like. I find it super helpful, because I am a notorious overestimater.

what motivated you?

The idea of feeling comfortable in my own skin. Realizing that I am lying to myself about having gained weight and being a size 12. I kept pretending it didn't happen, but it did. Being honest, reaching my full potential, and eventually seeing the belly flat. Also, seeing the pounds drop in the first couple of weeks was super encouraging.

what was your routine?

I pre-plan my food, limit snacking. I did Slim in 6, which I find to be a really great program for toning up. I run every other day, 4-6K.

what exercises did you find helpful? See above.
MustardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #34  

Height: 5'4''

what helped you lose weight?

Cooking and calorie counting. I never knew how to cook before and it really opened a new world to me to find healthy food could taste amazing and I didn't have to give up flavor. I went with calorie counting because I don't have any extra money and it was something I could do immediately.

what motivated you?

I was just tired of not enjoying my life, plain and simple.

what was your routine?

I plan my meals the night before, aiming for 1400-1500 calories. Emphasis on whole foods and homecooking. I don't track officially though, it's all in my head. Exercise-wise I try to do 30-40 minutes a day, but I can't lie, exercise is my weak point and I've gone through long periods of not doing it at all.

I usually run on my elliptical and do some weight-lifting with dumbells. I like doing exercise videos too. Can't afford a gym so sometimes I have to get creative.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I am currently using the bodybugg and counting calories. going the in/out ratio. It's my second week using it and I lost 2 pounds.

I got tired of being fat. Every picture of me makes me sick.

I rotate between my recumbent bike and ellitpical 45-60 min/day. Then I do abs on the exercise ball and weights...

Fingers crossed this works for me
mgruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #36  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

counting calories using MyPlate on Livestrong
exercising 1/2 hour 5 times a week
no eating after dinner

what motivated you?
the last time I flew with my family (Sept 11 2011), the lap belt was awfully close to the end and the seat felt tight on my rear. I hated it.

what was your routine?
30 mins most weekdays, an hour of hiking most sundays.

I don't have a gym membership, as they're SUPER expensive here in Chile. So I do a combination of circuit training type exercises (kick boxing, pushups, situps, squats etc), I have a 10 inch step for cardio, which I do with hand weights, and if I just want to zone out, I sometimes just do a recumbent bike ride.
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #37  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I lost about 50 lbs this last year, but gained it back, so I'm relearning these things I did ... but here is what I did then.

Nutrisystem really changed my life, if I could afford it I would go back on it, but I was on it long enough that the food sort of got old for me - though there are some great meals. I also did Atkins for awhile and had good success with that - but found it was too difficult to maintain as a lifetime thing.

I was motivated by my wedding at the time, but now that I'm married and didn't meet my goal for that day, I'm motivated to be healthier (have had some precancerous issues due to excess weight & estrogen), pathetically pant less, be a sexy wife for my hubby, and to be able to have a healthy pregnancy and be a mom that stays around for a good long time.

I would find a diet that I could fall into a routine - one that doesn't feel like you are dieting really. Nutrisystem was great for that, but now I just eat proportioned meals that I plan out even though sometimes it isn't the HEALTHIEST stuff, it's proportioned. I used to exercise 1 hr every morning but now that I work very early I exercise 1 hr at night.

I did c25k and made it to week 7 or so out of 9 before I got off track. It is a week to week program to get you from a sedentary level to a 5k running level. It's AMAZING! I want to move onto the 10k one.

Best of luck Looks like you are doing fabulous
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #38  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

What helps me lose weight ?
Tracking what I eat. Making sure I have some protein at each meal. Filling my plate at least half full with (mostly low carb) vegetables. Very little processed food, except for low calorie frozen meals (served with roasted vegies or a salad) when I'm short of time. Making big pots of soup to have handy. Keeping healthy food choices in stock. Eating breakfast. Not going hungry.Stashing a few points (I'm doing WW) for treats ( brandy and dark chocolate LOL) Three hours per week at the gym for cardio and strength training.Taking the time to take care of myself.

Motivation?
Confidence, improved health and fitness, and keeping my boyfriend on his toes.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

I used the original points system of Weightwatchers. I did NOT attend meetings however. I do have to say that exercise was also key. I also got online and read message boards like 3fat chicks to stay motivated. In the beginning of my weight loss journey, I ate a lot of the "diet food" like "100 cal" packs, skinny cow ice cream, etc... I do think that helped me. For the last few years, I do not count points but I do eat "whole foods" I did not have a splurge day while losing weight but I have incorporated one after a few years of maintenance.

what motivated you?
I was motivated by how much better I felt physically and emotionally as I lost weight. I was also motivated by the encouragement I got from family and friends.

what was your routine?
In the beginning of my weight loss, I would "save my points" in order to eat a large dinner. I have eaten about the same thing for Breakfast for years. An egg white omelette with tons of veggies and reduced fat cheese.

I started with just walking as that is all I could handle. I gradually increased the distance and then got into power walking. After that, I got into running. Exercise really did help my weight loss although I will say what you eat has more of an affect on your weight loss. The pounds did seem to drop off with running though. Unfortunately, I had to give up running due to issues with my knees.
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote