Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 08:53 PM   #226  
Empress/Queen

P.S. Eydie, Splenda be pretty good, much better than NutraSweet, in my not humble opinion. You can bake with it and it doesn't break down.

Dost thou like brown rice syrup? It be very sweet, though not low cal ... but it is a complex carb rather than a simple sugar, so you feel better eating it.

Do you like stevia?
Old 01-26-2003, 08:54 PM   #227  

Smile Sun again

Empress- we post at the same time!
I was hoping you knew who this D Dewey guy is!
Old 01-26-2003, 09:39 PM   #228  
deleted2

Default I'm back!

Thanks for the info. In my wanderings I found a couple of very alarmist articles about Splenda but after working in health food stores for a good part of my adult life I've learned to take a lot of that stuff with a grain of salt. [Celtic sea salt, of course! ] So I'll try it, won't live off the stuff though. Balance in all things, yada, yada...

Yes, Amarantha, I love the butterscotchiness of rice syrup. Can't warm up to stevia though---IMHO it has that green herby aftertaste.

Kaylets, I don't know the journalist you were talking about but I agree that we should avoid those hydrogenated oils whenever possible. Whole foods are the way to go---as much as we can anyway.

I take it we 3 aren't into the SuperBowl thing, huh?

Old 01-26-2003, 09:53 PM   #229  

Default Last one !

Game's on but even DH seems bored.

We didnt like Stevia either.

Alarmist is the word I first thought of when I read the oil article. But that's what folks called the Tobacco whistle blowers too......
Obviously, its not all to blame on prepackaged foods but you wonder how much cooking folks are doing for themselves. Everything is geared for "convenience". I see folks buying frozen mashed potatoes- who would have thought--
Old 01-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #230  

Make that four of us on the Super Bowl. I've been doing kidney research and reorganizing all the stuff I already have so I can weed it out, etc. I did watch half time show.

Dh was very limited on protein before Dec. blowout. May have more now that he's on dialysis. Get report sometime this week on bloodwork and nutritionist at clinic tells me there will probably be dietary changes each month with this report. I'll HAVE to be flexible, I guess. I dearly love beans too and am longing for a big pot of chili but ...... Had only recently got him to eat red beans and rice for the first time and he liked it! Darn. I'll have to check out the tofu on my many lists (now that I have them organized).

Am so happy for Empress' success that I've paraphrased that old saying "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" to "When Empress is losing, we all should be losing" - my motto for this week. I think my old brain has just had enough for the day = silly time is on me. And my fingers are hitting wrong keys and I don't want to spend more time correcting than writing.

So, adieu.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:53 AM   #231  

Smile Marvelous Monday!

Hello all!

This am is supposed to be the COLDEST of the the cold days so far!! And on a MONDAY TOO! CRAaaazzZZZyyYYY!!!!!

Yes, that's right, is Empress is losing, then we all should be-- Hee hee- not me!!! but that mysterious 3lbs from last Thurs is gone - back at 176 and that's Good news. If I'm not going to lose at least let it stay the same!!

Am resisting the start of the routine so I need to just go on automatic pilot until the engine ( brain) gets warmed up....

Today's thought is:
" For instant relief---- Try S l o w i n g d o w n. "
Lily Tomlin

To the best choices!

Last edited by Kaylets; 01-27-2003 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:35 AM   #232  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Smile Day 9!

Mornin' all,

Cold and crisp. Have walked miles and gotten nowhere Have tortured the treadmill again this a.m. for 25 mins and am off to the gym now, once I get a minor puppy fix. -25 with WC this a.m....again that is C by the way. I listened more intently this morning to the radio. Heard that the 4 hours after the SB is the most dangerous time to drive...worse than New Year's eve....go figure. Knew there was a good reason why I stay home. Football!?! Bah humbug....apologies to any fans that be here...MHO only.

Had a nice relaxing bath and started the new Linda Fairstein last night...more my cuppa anyway. Nice early and relaxing eve. The week appears to be shaping up nicely...am anticipating many more "good" days OP!!!!!!!

Dollar...80 pounds! That is wonderful!

I haven't used any of those things you guys mention...rice syrup, Splenda etc. I don't like that taste of artifical sweeteners...so I just do without. Have gotten used to naked oatmeal.

Keep on the Victory Trail, Valentines!

Ceara
Old 01-27-2003, 11:26 AM   #233  
Momma Frog

I'm still here ladies! I just wanted you to know that.
It's been rough going here for a while since my mom has moved in. Been very busy.
I've lost 6lbs in the past week. Don't congratulate me ladies. I had the stomach flu!!!!! So I'm sure most of that will come back. But we'll see.
Now I have the regular flu and that's why I haven't been on. So my appetite is like nill here lately.
You'll remember that my maid of honor dropped out of my wedding. Well, my officiant has too. He just got ordained and apparently in our state you have to be a pastor of a church, a judge or a justice of the peace, to marry people. Well, he doesn't have a church yet so the state will not let him marry us. I'm bummed! I sure hope these are not signs!!! Anyway, I have replaced my maid of honor with the bridesmaid I already had (she was thrilled!) and my 13 year old neice is going to be my bridesmaid now.
So there are my excuses as to why I haven't been on the board. I promise to do better!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:47 AM   #234  
Is it Friday yet?

Hola and happy Monday!

Ok, "happy" may not be quite right... but "$&*@" Monday didn't sound quite right either... Quiet weekend - the game was a bore, but I'm pleased as peaches that the Raiders lost!
I got my feather bed on Friday! Ooooh, it's like sleepin' on the clouds...
Also confirmed with my Dad when I'm heading to Arizona - March 15th.... right around the corner! So, the next challenge - the St. Patrick's day pound-fest, will be a big one for me. I'd like to look good since I haven't seen my Dad since Sept. of last year.

Ceara - I had to laugh when you said you were going to the bathroom *again*. Isn't that a sisterhood of us "loosers"? I can tell ya' every nice bathroom between here n' California...

Kaylets - I can't believe the Discovery Health Challenge is over this week! I thought the last time it lasted a lot longer? I'm real interested in your bird feeder too - I had to move mine in yesterday because the deer were after it - they raise up one their back legs and tip it over so the seeds spill out... (grumble, grumble... nature!)

Eydie - I hope your DH is feeling better soon - as fulfilling it is to play nursemaid That's funny about seeing the Alan Rickman films together like that. I was going to pop in Truly Madly Deeply this weekend only to find that it was playing on BBC. Blow Dry was good - nice ending.

Senamay - ooooh, I think radiology sounds fascinating! Good luck on your turned in work - keep us posted!

Guru Amarantha - Congrats on the loss!!!
I don't put the polenta in the black bean soup, but on the side. My favorite is to lightly grill it in a little bit of olive oil, and top it with pepper jack cheese - or grilled veggies
Oh, and uh, be careful of those neighbors! We had a neighbor light one of those bonfires at 1am and I called the fire department (after sundown they're illegal). We too are in the desert, in very dry conditions, and these idiots lit the fire right under a juniper tree! Hello?!?!?!!? they explode when they catch fire!!!!

Anagram - I didn't think you were being nosey at all. I agree that there are many things that happen in life that are huge signs to open our eyes so we realize that our time here *is* short. The lucky ones learn this early in life.

Arabella - I'm feel so awful for everyone out your way that's freezing this year! They've even been talking about it on our news. Here... put your hands up to the monitor and I'll try to keep 'em warm for ya...

Wildfire - How funny! I'm the same, used to love horror movies, now, not so much. I liked Signs, but it freaked me out because you just don't know - it *could* be true. Enjoyable, but not to be watched at night.
My guy's already said he doesn't want to leave L.A. - we tried to offer him a job here in OR to help me (like either of us would get any work done!). He does have friends in the Bay Area though and it's my plan, if we do stay in touch, to eventually hook up there.

I saw a program on obsessions over the weekend and this woman had an awsome saying she repeated to herself (she was a hoarder trying to throw things away), I thought it applied to us too..."by the yard it's hard, but by the inch it's a cinch".

Let's see.... dinner tonight??? I don't know yet, but I did take out some potato soup to thaw.

Oh, and last but not least - I'm down another 1.5 this week! I'd have to loose more than 2 pounds for the next 3 weeks so I don't know if I'll make it exactly - but I know I'll be close!

Terri
Old 01-27-2003, 03:43 PM   #235  

Hi All,

i havent posted in a while, been down and tired. However i have lost weight...yay...5 lbs..so im under 180. Its been 13 years since i could say that! I hope it stays off however im sick and i havent worked out so i could be losing muscle. So we shall see.

Hope all is well..just excited to see my at 177.5 ..way to exciting.
I have to say i dont eat past 7 anymore....carbos i stop at 6.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:43 PM   #236  
the sword bearer

Yay Scooby! Congrats on the loss....great to see you on the thread....
Ceara
Old 01-27-2003, 09:46 PM   #237  
Empress/Queen

Yo!!! Thought today would be a rest day but got involved! Ended eating day at a high 2590, 80 minutes of exercise, 10-minute weights a part of that!! Woo-hoo! Day 7 of that I think! Just hoping to hold onto my loss this week! We'll see!!! Either way, I AM feeling pretty happy!!!

Scooby: So good to "see" thee ... sorry thou be under the weather but glad for thy loss!!! Congratulations!!!

Punkin: March be the best time to be in Arizona! Yeppers, we need to get right on that Challenge as soon as February 15 hits!!! NO REST, NO RESPITE, WE MUST FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!! DOWN WITH s! Sure and begorra!

Good for thee for calling the fire department on thy firebug neighbors!! I thought about it, but am hesitant to make enemies if it's not necessary. It's possible they'll not do it again! (Maybe!)

Kaylets: D Dewey? Methinks I missed something! At any rate, Amarantha knoweth him not!!!

Eydie: In agreement re the stevia, wondered what thou thought! I tried to like it ... had tried the versions with FOS as that seemed so helpful to digestion, but just didn't like it. It does taste too "green" ... although it works well in green tea.

I think I missed what Kaylets said about hydrogenated oils, but believe these to be the very worst thing re heart health ... the process of hydrogenation seems to produce the evil transfat that we are now warned against. It will be good when the new labeling laws come to fruition and we can see the amount of transfat that is in a product.

With so much alteration in the food supply, it is hard to say what is good or bad to put into our bodies, as there really is no natural food anymore (IMO). I guess moderation in all things be the safest course ... it's hard even to find safe drinking water anymore ... at least in my part of the world ... but I digress!!!

Ceara: I don't really use artificial sweetners all that much either. It's better to be as thou art, methinks, and to eat things without additives! Howsomever, brown rice syrup is not artificial ... it's just rice syrup and it's healthier for most people than plain table sugar ... it metabolizes slowly and provides a steady feeling of satisfaction without insulin spikes. P.S., it is SO good!!! Apologies for raving ... really I DON'T sell brown rice syrup ... wish I had some right now but it's not worth driving all the way to TJ's! Congrats on thy gym progress! Looks pretty good with the ******s!!

Frogger: What a disappointment that thy chosen person can't officiate at thy wedding. Hope thou gets that worked out ok ... methinks it's a sign, but a good one ... all these logistical problems are happening AHEAD of time, so things'll go super smoothly on the appointed day! The crystal ball hath foretold it!!! Woo-hoo!!!!

Anagramatic!!!! Thankee for immortalizing the Empress in a motto!!! She'll be thrilled ... she's cranky because Elbertine Pep up and went to live in an orange grove (details in journal). Not having Pep makes everyone feel, well, too pooped to be peppy!

Beans and rice be good with a bit o' tofu, too, if dh can eat it. He is to be commended for his fight to regain his health and stick to the really challenging eating program ... it can be very hard.

Yowza!!!! It be time to lie down and read a novel!

Avanti!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 06:28 AM   #238  

Smile Terrific Tuesday!

Hello all!

So brutally cold driving home last night that when I got home and warmed up cooking and doing dishes I almost fell asleep in the chair~ And now this am, my neck and shoulders are stiff. If that's not another reminder that I've got to get back into some regular activity!!

Empress- here's the website I was referring- Thought you might be familiar w/ the journalist only because he's based on the West Coast. http://www.dldewey.com ---

Checked nearly all the ingredients in the house and so far, my Pria Bars are the only thing that have had to get the big red light on them. Wonder if Hydrogenated oil also makes cravings for more ???

Angel Food Recipes*****

Black Forest Angel Food Cake

12 servings - 3 points per serving

1 box of 1 Step Angel Food Cake Mix
3 Tablespoon Of Cocoa Powder
1 can Cherry Pie Filling

Preheat oven at 350 F. Spray a 13 X 9 pan with Pam spray. Mix together all ingredients with a mixer. Pour into the pan cook 38- 48 minutes.

Cherry Angel Food Cake

Makes 12 servings - POINTS per serving 3

1 pouch Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake Mix
1 16 oz cherry pie filling
Fat Free Cool Whip

Bake cake according to instructions on pouch. Top with cool whip (You will need to add the points for the cool whip)

Pineapple Angel Food Cake (this is the one I gave all of you originally)

Makes 12 servings - 3 POINTS per serving
If you make 24 cupcakes instead of a cake, the cupcakes are 1 point each

1 box angel food cake mix
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in its own juice

Add the angel food cake mix and 20 oz crushed pineapple together. Add nothing else to the cake mix. Beat with either hand or electric mixer. Pour into individual cup cake liners only 2/3 full. Bake @350 for approximately 15 minutes.

Pineapple Orange Food Cake

Makes 30 muffins (or 12 servings)

1 point per muffin. (3 points per serving)

1 box angel food cake mix (fat free)
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple (in its own juice) - don't drain juice
1 large can mandarin oranges (in its own juice) - drain juice
Grated orange rind from 1 large orange

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except orange rind and mix well. Evenly distribute batter between the tins (fill about 3/4 full) Bake in 350 degree oven approximately 15 minutes. Spray 30 muffin tins or a large Pyrex pan with butter flavored Pam.

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Makes 12 servings

Point per serving 3

1 pkg. angel food cake mix
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Sift cocoa powder and add to cake mix. Then continue as directed on package.

Pumpkin Pie Angel Food Cake

Makes 12 servings - POINTS 3

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 package one step angel food cake mix
14 tablespoon reduced fat whipped topping

In large bowl, combine the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold in a fourth of the batter into pumpkin mixture. Gently fold in the remaining batter. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350 degrees for 38-44 minutes or until top is golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan onto a wire rack cool completely for 1 hour Run knife around sides of cake and remove to serving plate. Garnish each slice with whipped topping. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired

Havent tried any of them but figure if I make the cupcake size and then share w/ the neighbors-- hee hee -- or even if I cant' stand it- its still costs the same if I eat it or throw it away! ( or does it cost ME more if I do eat it? And why would I continue to eat something I really wasnt enjoying?? That is the puzzle)

Running late again- Have lots of individual replies but I will have to write them this pm!

Today's thought is:
'Dig your well before you're thirsty' --- Harvey Mckay

To best choices!!
Old 01-28-2003, 07:44 AM   #239  
the sword bearer

Smile Day 10

Mornin' all

Just my optimism...I am on day 10 and assume that I'm gonna make it!

Kaylets...I am going to copy, paste and print that Suzie Homemaker section of your post...I think that those will be good for potluck lunches desserts....

Today is the usual Tuesday...a little warmer, only -2C , and I am off in a bit to do the Story and Toddler times at the library. I like little kids, especially when I can send them home to their mothers! Then this evening is puppy training with the little heathen. She is 5 months old now and a delight. At the moment, she is under my feet killing a squeaky gorilla.

Things are going well on the fitness/food front. Am going to hop on the treadmill and go nowhere for 25 mins, then finalize my stuff for the programmes and hit the road!

Punkin, the bed sounds heavenly! I sleep on a conventional mattress, but I have feather eiderdown comforters (from Germany no less!)...what a trip! So light and when you put one on top of a flannel sheet......u.m.m.m. Toasty! Makes me wanna just go back and hibernate a bit more. Things to do.

Will wander on back later.....

Ceara
Old 01-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #240  
Is it Friday yet?

Blaaaaaaaaah.....

I'm exhausted and feel like I'm trying to catch something. Probably stress from planning this #$^& trip to Arizona. My ticket is $80 more than when my stepmother's son visits and you'd think they thought I was trying to get away with something! My ticket is more because of my 6 hour layover in L.A. for my meeting!!!!! I got tired of explaining. I can't get outta my Dad how much he's pitching in for the $300 ticket (he said he would), my company's paying for some and I'm paying the remainder and I still have $100 to set aside for gas to get to the airport (too expensive to fly out of my local airport - about $200 more).
Calgon take me away!!!!!!!

Scooby - So good to see you! Glad you're doing so well, pop in from time to time ok?

Kaylets - Thank you for the recipes, they sound yummy...

Guru Amarantha - Yea, my Dad laughed when I told him I was thinking of visiting in September. I guess right now it's been in the mid-80's and should be about the same in March? Either way, I'll have to re-aclimate when I get home. March in Oregon is still pretty cool.

Ceara - Ya know, the feather bed is kinda like sleeping on a thick comforter! It goes under the fitted sheet, about 2 or so inches thick.... yea, I don't want to get out of bed anymore either!

Well, better get some work done....

Terri
Closed Thread