3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Victorious Valentines! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/23452-victorious-valentines.html)

Amarantha2 01-25-2003 07:40 PM

Yo! I am giving up on Sanctuary Sunday ... I have tons more to do for the paper and have no intention of sitting here all night writing this dreck! So I'm officially working tomorrow but not now!

Arabella & Eydie: Mmmm. Yes! I like omelets with mushrooms and asparagus and just a tiny bit of cheese! I don't cook with peppers but enjoy them in omelets if they are mild green chiles, well chopped! BTW, I am not Eydie but can tell thee Pilates is WONDERFUL! I need to get back into it and congrats to Eydie for 22 consecutive days ... I'll bet thy bod feeleth wonderfully strong and straight about now!

BTW, Arabella, I signed up for two five-hour reiki seminars starting in April. Hope I won't regret it but I'm curious. Really need something new in the mind-body line! :)

Anagramatic: I was the Queen of Diligence but Sanctuary Sunday was not to be!!! :) Congratulations to dh again ... this time on the mall trip ... how nice for you both to have that timeout. Omelets seem to be the topic d'jour here, so am also wondering if thou be feeling bad about eating eggs? If so, see Kaylets for a No Guilt Card, please!!! :) Art thou vegan? If not, eggs be kind of ok-dokey these days in the health department. Hmmm. Did thy western include ham? Dang, that soundeth good!

BTW, thy thoughts on thy neighbor wouldst never be considered nosy henish! I think it's nice that thou be so caring regarding her death and thinking kind thoughts about her. If that's being a nosy hen, then by all means continue along those lines because it is a good thing! :)

Kaylets: Yes, I will take the tea cold if thou pleaseth! My body is always confused in January here ... it is quite warm but I have a space heater six inches away that is blowing hot air on me, as I still feel chilly, then I feel hot, then ... hmmm, this is all starting to sound familiar!

BTW, hast thou ever made "homefries" by spritzing potato wedges with no cal cooking spray and sprinkling with sesame seeds and/or parmesan and/or spices and baking? These are good.

I've come to the realization that the trick with carbs is to eat them with a little healthy oil AND an equal amount of a protein source. Eating carbs with protein seems to keep them from giving me that sick feeling that I want to simultaneously be ill, run a marathon, take a nap, cry and jump off a bridge. I think they call that an insulin surge or something. The protein balances things off nicely, so I now try to drink skim milk or eat a few bites of any protein with potatoes and pasta especially.

:chockiss: though I'm trying to stay away from altogether. I just don't see that it's really doing anything good for me anymore. It doesn't make me feel particularly good and it eats up calorie allowances that should go to better choices.

Sorry for thy little gain, Kaylets, but it's likely water and will go away. The SF stuff does have a lot of sodium.

I just finished another carton of Milnot ... it's a lactose-free dairy milk substitute (made with whey, which is a superior protein source anyhow). This stuff is really better tasting than milk yet has the extreme coldness that is milk's chief attribute for me. It is lowfat and has only 60 calories for an 8-ounce cup. Very good with D'Vinci SF!

Ok back to my Sanctuary Saturday Night in Lieu of Sanctuary Sunday.

I will have less work next week and will renew my vow never to work on Sunday again.

BTW, I reached my 420-minute exercise goal and ended eating day (hopefully) at 1785. We'll see what whether Demon Scale or Golden Scale will prevail tomorrow!

ceara 01-26-2003 07:31 AM

Uh oh....stats day!

Mornin' all

Am cautiously optimistic about this...I know where I went the week before this one...and did not post that disaster...I think the palace binge demons came east that week.....and the good news is that I am down from there but up a pound from the last "official" stat..so have up dated my footer.

Hmmm....still too many carbs I think...but I am not eating after 7 (except when forced to by social conditions, these darn eating oportunities keep popping up):dizzy:, have been fairly faithful to the at least 1 L of water/day, managed a few gym visits. So all is not in despair here. A good thing is that I finally got a treadmill, which I am going to torture in a few minutes, I can't get to the gym this a.m.:lol:

I do feel like a camel though....my fingers are stiff, so am anticipating a run on bathroom trips in the near future.

We are a slow bunch this a.m....am used to finding posts, not being the first! :lol:

Catch y'all later!

Ceara

Kaylets 01-26-2003 08:11 AM

SUNDAY!!!!

Hello all!!

Slept in again- feel great now!

Ceara- Do you have the treadmill near a tv or window? Somewhere I even read about a woman who lit candles for her walk on the treadmill to give herself a visual reminder the walk was gift to herself. Not sure what triggered that memory this am?

Its interesting how fingers on the keyboard know to type before the mind understands!!

I'll be back a little later- Late start and all.....

Today's thought is:

When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown,
faith is knowing one of two things will happen--
There will be something solid to stand on,
or you will be taught how to fly.
----- Barbara J. Winter

Wildfire 01-26-2003 08:15 AM

It's 7:30 Sunday morning and I'm on my fourth load of laundry. :hyper: It's such a pain to try to do laundry on a Sunday in my building because it seems that everyone in the whole building wants to use the two washers and two dryers that we all have to share. I normally do mine on Saturday afternoon because it's deserted, and started yesterday....got a couple of loads in, then someone decided they had nothing better to do than get in my way and do some laundry of their own. The nerve. So I relinquished the machines and growled about it for an hour or so. :mad: Got the rest of the housework done, though, so today I can do whatever I want!

Hubby rented the movie "Signs" last night, but we saved it to watch after Coronation Street this morning. My idea...scary movie in broad daylight sounded much better. I've found that over the past few years, my enjoyment of thriller/horror movies has diminished significantly. Me, whose favorite horror movie is Hellraiser! Must be getting old. Or paranoid. I said to hubby last night that I worry enough about someone breaking in and butchering us in our sleep, not to mention ghosts and evil creatures....I really don't need to start worrying about aliens now, since I don't currently. :D

I'm toying with the idea of joining the YMCA, since there is one less than a five minute walk from my apartment. I have to check it out first, because I joined one where we lived last year and was completely disappointed with both the facilities and the programs. Everything seemed to be geared toward retirees or stay-at-home moms, with no exercise classes after 6pm so people who actually work could attend. I'm told that this Y next to me is much better. It's just been too darn cold to walk outside. We've had -28 celsius temps with the wind chills.

I did get bloodwork done last week, as well as a breast ultrasound for an unusual thing, not really a lump, more of a ridge at the edge of my breast, underneath. Doc said better safe than sorry, let's look at it. Ultrasounds are painless, so I agreed. Won't have results for a couple of weeks on the ultrasound, I don't know 'bout the bloodwork. She may just wait to give me those too.

Diet-wise, doing okay. It's the exercise that's tough for me to fit into my day, and with it being so cold out it's tougher. I can fit a walk in usually when it isn't so frigid out.

Kaylets, it's http://www.jessecook.com . Would you share your muffin recipe? I've been looking for some good muffin recipes, and cranberries in muffins are good!

Amarantha, don't work TOO hard today! :nono: You need some time to recharge, even if it's an hour spent in a quiet spot with Old Dog.

anagram, so glad to hear that DH is getting out and about again. He must be very happy, and you as well! I can't imagine having to have ports and face dialysis, and he's doing all without complaining....I suppose your perspective changes when it's necessary. I wish him well with the upcoming procedures, and will aim all the good vibes I can muster in your general direction. :goodvibes All this talk of omelettes....guess what I'm having for breakfast? I'm starving!

Arabella, I know what it's like to be woken by noisy passersby. Our last apartment was in a high-rise building that happened to be near a popular night spot....and drunks don't seem to realize how much their voices carry UP in the middle of the night.

Eydie, 22 days! Good for you! Hope DH is better soon, and most importantly, that he doesn't pass it to you!

dollar...81lbs! Holy crow! You should be screaming it from the rooftops! :dancer: :cb: :cp: :high: :balloons:

Punkin, I hope you do get to meet your guy. Who knows....maybe he'll find work in YOUR neck of the woods. Start scanning the job ads for him! :D

:wave: ceara :wave: senamay

time to move laundry....but the kettle is on for tea!

ceara 01-26-2003 08:51 AM

DID IT!

Me again.

Well my first experience on the treadmill was fun.... I didn't fall off, I played with the buttons, I did 1.5 miles (I think...I have to change glasses to see what they are :^: ), 30 minutes of trodding and listened to Clifford the big red dog. The machine is near a T.V. but I'd break my neck peering behind me to watch it. A re-vamping of the area is in order. So....I'm pleased. Now must be off to wake the teen-agers for church and get some Oatmeal and blueberries (for the memory they say) into me. Oh yes, and visit the b-room :dz:....again!

Ceara

Amarantha2 01-26-2003 11:34 AM

No applause, no, really, I insist ...

... I'll just have a :cb:, thanks! Below telleth the story.

P.S. I am resigning as empress, tribuness and just going on the road as an exercise guru!! Woo-hoo!!! The breaking up of the resistance workout and the 420-minutes came through for me and I feel much healthier, too!!!

Wildfire, am taking thy advice and going shopping. One major dreck story sent in a half-hour ago, one more to go. Hmmm, howsomever, there really ARE no quiet moments with Old Dog! If I want stress relief, definetely, I don't look to Old Dog for help!!! :jig: :cb: :jig:

To All: Sorry for all the me-me-me in this postie (I haven't even shared the story of backyard neighbors who regularly have bonfires and how last night was the biggest bonfire of them all that went on until 1 a.m. and of all the people standing out there around the fire that seemed to be staring directly at my house ... they weren't, of course, it just felt that way ... and how stressed this makes me, although I have no objection if this is some spiritual practice, I do object to building large bonfires in small spaces near trees, other peoples' houses, utility wires, wooden fences, Bermuda grass, assorted human beings and family pets, in a densely populated desert community with the operative word being "desert" as in "no rain" or "dry" or "wildfire" ... not going to bother thee with all this!)

Amarantha's Jadequest

Starting Weight of Quest: 166.5
Current Weight: 158.0
Net Quest Pounds Lost: 8.5
:cp:
Highest Weight Ever Recorded: 247
Lowest Weight in Adulthood: 101
Lowest Weight Since Major Weight Loss Initiative Approx. 6 Years Ago: 142
Valentine's Challenge Goal: 155
Ultimate Goal: 135

2003 Resolution: Reach 135; Enter Maintenance Quest

Last Week's Seven-Day Calorie Average: 2016
Last Week's Exercise Calories Burned: 1680 (420 Minutes)

deleted2 01-26-2003 12:37 PM

Senamay, I've said it before and I say it now: I'm proud of you! Keep going!

Kaylets, I love "Fantastic Foods"---really handy for quick meals. The 'instant' black beans are great and make a fool proof black bean soup with extra liquid, salsa and a little doctoring. If you're interested in the recipes you saw on the Health Challenge they're on the website. The chef, Juan Carlos has really kept the weight off--he looks great.

Arabella, About Pilates: it's similar to yoga but different. How's that for a completely amorphous definition?!:lol: Both make you feel very stretched out and flexible and are good for posture. I'm doing videos 20-40 min. long. I'm not using any special equipment. I started out feeling very awkward but I feel like I've got the basics down and this week I'm going on to the intermediate tapes. I'm testing this quote attributed to Joseph Pilates: "With Pilates, you'll feel better after 10 sessions, you'll look better in 20 sessions, and you'll transform your body in 30 sessions". Hence my 30-day challenge! I truly feel that i'm looking longer and leaner though!

Anagram, sorry about your neighbor--and no, you don't sound nosy at all--you sound concerned and it's made you think about life. I hope you're at peace with it. Your husband sounds like he's doing so well! Tell him we're all pulling for him.:D

Punkin, thought of you last night as I was watching a quirky Alan Rickman movie called "Blow Dry". Then as if that wasn't enough, "Truly, Madly, Deeply" came on after! I said to my husband that my pal Terri would love this!!!:s: :lol:

Amarantha, I hope you can find some pockets of time for rest today---especially after all your workouts! You're having splendid success with that!

Hello, Dollar, Wildfire, Ceara, and all! :D Stay with it, everybody!

anagram 01-26-2003 01:13 PM

Ceara, you seem to be having a most productive morning. I'm trying to ignore the fact that I own a Nordic track ski machine but it keeps being pushed into my consciousness.

Empress, thou art doing so well on your quest. What a light bulb moment to break down thy exercise periods. I too would also be unhappy with a bonfire under those circumstances. Am very unhappy with fireworks going off in neighboring yards in summer (though I was unhappy as well when MY son and dh used to do same).

Fussed around a bit and made a soup for lunch that worked out ok. Bit of a rip off of pasta fagiole which dh likes but can no longer eat. Came close enough that it reminded him of it and that's all I ask these days. No, I don't feel guilty when I eat eggs. Don't have them often but more often since they're sort of more ok than when they weren't. Of course, a 3 egg omelette is excessive but it constituted most of my protein for the day and (despite their unexplaiend lack of homefries), the place makes a really good omelette. Yes, ham but just a few little bits. I really like the onions/peppers more than the ham. I save my guilt for when I indulge in the sweet carbs I love. Still going on the no candy thing so that's three weeks now. Once or twice have nibbled a pretzel after 8:00. But mostly ok on that too and water. Just need to have a Slimfast or two and get the food in tighter rein. I really don't rein too tightly because that was my pledge to me when I started this trip. I've failed before many times because I was being more rigid than I could cope with for a long time. I know I'll eventually have to tighten up more but as long as I'm able to lose slowly and still have an occasional treat, I think I'm going to stick with it. The general lifestyle changes seem to have helped me a lot the last few weeks. But I think it's time to get more on the lean, mean train for a while again.

Wildfire, sounds like you too were off to a busy start this morning. Kaylets, glad you had a sleepin.

I'm not really all about bad news. Dear nephew called last night to let me know he'll be getting married November 1st. So I have a nice wedding to look forward to and a new fiance yet to meet. I'm thinking about my outfit already and what size it will be!

And dh informed me at lunch that he plans to go to FL next winter and is planning things out already. (We were to have been there in Jan/Feb this year - I use a library computer when we're down south so would have been a lot more "quiet" than I've been.)0

Everyone up for that big blast later today?

Kaylets 01-26-2003 03:10 PM

Sunday still

Empress- You're such a tease! "no applause, I'll take a banana!"
I had to go look in you journal to see a 3 LB LOSS!!!!
:bravo: :dancer: :dancer: :cb: :cb: !!!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

And tell some more about the Milnot- Is there a webiste?

Just to make sure........

Kaylets 01-26-2003 03:35 PM

Sun II

Anagram- How did you alter your Soup w/ Beans recipe? I'm glad you reminded me of Pasta Fagiole!! I should go look that one up too!
Yes, what will you wear?? A long dress? A knee length? Is it to be a formal wedding? There are some GORGEOUS Formal Pantsuits out there too! Just was looking at the LaneBryant catalog w/ a girlfriend this am.

We exchange after the family holiday stuff calms down. This year I think we set a record for how late we did but no matter! I got a great new bird feeder which is weight activated and will close on itself if a squirrell steps on a perch. Am hoping the big fat crows that scare away the little birds will get shut out too! Its so pretty too w/ leaves running up and down it!

Cranberry Muffin recipe:

1 Package Krutzeatz Cranberry -Orange Muffin Mix
1 package fresh cranberries
( or dried if that is what you already have)

Preheat over per package instructions.
Wash cranberries in strainer. Pick a firm cranberry and cut it in half. Continue until you have about 2 cups.
Mix muffin mix per instructions. Stir in cut cranberries.
Follow remaining instructions. I wound up w/ almost 15 muffins this way so I really don't think the point value changed that much.

Since I'm making them for the cranberry value I'm not concerned if they're that extra point.

Is everyone familiar w/ the 1 pt Angel Food w/ fruit recipes?
Also very simple for those w/ baking challenges! ( I'm first on that list!)

Eyde: Thanks for the Discovery info- Those Brownies looked great!
What did Juan Carlos's shirt say- Is he selling himself as a healthy pastry chef now? I didnt catch it.

Wildfire: I forget where you are but if you're here in the states, there's a good chance the machines will be available during the game! I remember those days well! That's when I got into the habit if washing my undies w/ my pantyhose during my shower.
I also was guilty of letting it pile up-

Ceara- been listening to Jesse Cook all morning. DH cut a CD - too bad DH didnt realize I wanted to know the names of the songs - We think we know which one is Cancion Triste--You're right it's a great one to close your eyes too!! When DH did a search for clips for Jesse Cook, Gipsy Kings kept showing up too--
?? Do they play together?
And then, can't help but wonder-- One song, is it Red... Sounds so much like the music Michelle Kwan 's Long Program from the National Skating Competition last week... Could it be??

Ok- I've got to really get some things done! Be back in 45 minutes!

ceara 01-26-2003 04:48 PM

YOWZA!!!!!!!

Way to go!

Empress A, thou be the :queen: of the 10 minute exercises!

I am so impressed.....what an inspiring week! :balloons: :cloud9:

Now back to cooking and laundry...not nearly so much fun! :rolleyes:

Ceara

anagram 01-26-2003 07:39 PM

Kaylets, don't know enough wedding details to get too specific on outfit yet. For now, I'm just daydreaming about a smaller size.

On the Soup with Beans - it's interesting trying to make it WITHOUT beans, which he's not allowed. Plus he's not supposed to eat anything tomato - y. So basically just left out the beans and upped the ditalini. Had found a no salt added canned tomato that listed a really low potassium and so used a bit of that just for the hint. Used lots of seasonings and served it with the Goldncrackel (garlic). Not as good as Olive Garden's but he was pleased anyway. It was hot 'n hearty even if not exactly P. F. in any recognizable sense. Bought two more flavors of the Golncrackel (onion and hot and spicy) but they didn't have the cinnamon one at our store and I would like to try that too.

Napped during the first quarter of S. B. Probably will watch half time. Been having a light snow all day but didn't seem to be sticking. Heard on the news though that some roads are a sheet of ice. Glad to stay home tonight.

deleted2 01-26-2003 08:30 PM

Hello all!

Kaylets, I think his shirt said "Calorie Commando"---from his personality I'm assuming it's something he came up with himself. He'll probably be coming out with a cookbook at some point, I betcha!

Anagram, I love beans and most likely just couldn't go on living without them but I'm so impressed with your creativity and flexibility with adapting recipes! I love to see people stepping out and trying new things. At work when anyone asks for a recipe they want exact instructions and I say 'Lighten up and play!'

Anyone familiar with the sweetener Splenda? I'm off to see what I can find on the web about it....

Good night!:)

Amarantha2 01-26-2003 08:48 PM

Yowza, again! I finished with work! Only 20 minutes of exercise in (no weights today), but will make this up over the week. Not sure if I'm done eating at 1630, though.

Kaylets: The cranberry muffins look good ... never thought of adding more cranberries to a mix ... love cranberries! Dost thou mean the angel food cake with SF fruit pie filling that is in the Richard Simmons cookbook? That's the only one I know ... posted it awhile back or on journal ... I forget. You just mix them together and bake and it comes out super. Is there another recipe I should know about? :) Please post it if so!

I don't know why I said, "Milnot," which is a coffee creamer. The stuff is called NutriMil (hope this is not considered advertising!!! I don't work for them, don't care if you buy any, just sharing a discovery). Website is "www.nutrimil.com" ... I really, really like this drink! The 60-calorie count is for fat free, the lowfat version is 80 per cup and I haven't tried it. The ff is creamy and tastes like 2 percent milk to me.

Anagram: Amarantha was about to ask, "What Big Blast?" when she remembered it be SB time. I think that's football, right? :) Thanks for the support on the bonfire, I was mad all night ... agree with thee about fireworks also.

How neat thou hast a wedding to plan for ... just after the Halloween Challenge season, too!!! :)

Thankee to all who vouchsafed a yowza or :cb: or a :bravo: for Amarantha's much awaited loss!!! Now if I just say, "Nice scale, nice scale, nice scale," for a week, maybe it'll stay down!! Yowza!

Kaylets 01-26-2003 08:52 PM

Sunday game time

Hello!

Thanks Anagram! I guess your recipe is now Pasta No Fagiole!~
That's ok! Is Dh restricted on protein too?? I think you mentioned that as well but don't remember. Wonder if Tofu is allowed on his diet.

Eydie- I use Splenda- and there miles of "studies" showing pros and cons- I remember the same w/ saccachrin, aspartame, etc etc. I use it mostly in my coffee, two packets a day for the most part. ooops, its in my yogurt, and the cocoa I use. And the pudding I use often. I have baked w/ it and have had good results.

What I did see today was an "article" by a journalist by the name of D Dewey who has a website --http://www.dldewey.com--
He is convinced there is a conspiracy among the food companies regarding Hydrogenated oils in food. I had never heard of this journalist but he lists many many resources as part of his argument that hydrogenated oil is a direct cause of heart disease, Diabetes II, and Womens breast cancer. I did not read his resources because of time reasons and will look around myself for other opinions. The tone of the article and the website is a little unnerving- He mentioned that Campbell soup had LOTS and LOTS of hydrogenated oil. And here I am w/ a case of tomato soup. So I jumped up to read the label - and at least in the tomato, found NONE. Maybe some of the other flavors do but not the tomato. I wonder how many "generalities " are in the rest of the article. There's a comment that one type of Dunkin Donut has as much fat in it from hydrogenated oil as 8 slices of bacon.

Anyone know of this guy??