Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Skin sore in creases?

I wasn't sure where to post this so if it's not in the
appropriate place, please feel free to move it, Mods!

Does anyone get sores in your creases? Big, red and painful!
It's horrible. I have to deal with them so often. Some of them
even bleed eventually. I don't know if I can take it anymore
or how to deal with them. Any advice? I hope someone has
had these as well.
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You should check with your doctor; but, it sounds like "heat rash," which is common in overweight people with creases. It's from trapped yeast, fungus, and bacteria along with moisture.

The best thing I've found for it is Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel, made by Monistat. They also make a powder, but I like the dry gel the best. It's often in the feminine products section, or you can ask at the drug store.

Use a mild soap to clean the area, and towel it dry before applying any medicine.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #3  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 03:10 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I feel your pain chica!

I don't get them on my stomach, but I do get them on my inner thighs where they rub together (they almost look like zits) and I get them like...(I know this is gross) under my stomach (where my belly flops over) I actually was just able to get rid of some this week. That gel that jay suggested really is awesome...I need to get some more. I also make sure I shower before bed, even if I haven't worked out and I don't wear any sort of clothing to bed....kinda to air myself out. Besides...who doesn't like sleeping naked, right?

I know they can be uncomfortable...down right nasty, but imagine...some day you won't have that problem!!!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

The culprit is yeast/fungus getting trapped in a moist, hot enviroment. Any type of fungus cream or yeast fighting cream will work. But make sure you wash it at least twice a day with wet washclothe and then reapply.

Jayell's stuff sounds perfect, since it is made by monistat, i am assuming it fights yeast/fungus.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

That's me too, Softykins and BabyBrownEyes, and I also have a problem with sweat glands that get infected. What I do, I bathe/shower twice a day (more if time permits), then I put a fan in my bedroom, spread out a beach towel on the bed, turn on the fan and hope that gives the creases time to dry out a bit. If they flare up, I apply skin lube (Chamois Butt'r, you can get it from bicyclist sources) in the area before I do my aerobics. I really should get the antifungal (last summer my mom had knee replacement surgery and the first time when they took her into the o.r. they found she had a fungal infection in her groin and they couldn't operate because of the risk of the infection spreading to her knee, they had to clear that up first so I picked her up some antifungals and they should still be around).
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Have to agree with everything that's already been said. I have diabetes and that tends to make me even more prone to yeast infections (both internal and external).

For the external problems, I use a prescription cream that starts with the Monistat cream but also has Hcl added to it. It works a little faster than the straight Monistat.

Another little recommendation that sounds weird, but really does help to keep the areas nice and clean and therefore less prone to infection is the first place is to finish your shower with a little rinse of the problems spots with a dilute vinegar solution -- about 5 parts water to 1 part white vinegar -- and no, you won't smell like a salad all day.

Good luck . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I got a nasty infection on my nose that looked like impetigo (usually a bacterial infection), but was actually a dermatitis caused by yeast. I also had what you describe in the creases. I went to a dermatologist, and she said she always recommends patients try the cheapest therapy first (isn't that refreshing from a doctor) and suggested that I wash with dandruff shampoo with zinc pyrithione (spelling may be off a little) such as Head and Shoulders (but you have to make sure it has the zinc).

As she suggested I use it for all of my washing - hair, face, body, and it cleared up not only the infections, but my entire complexion. Even what I thought had been rosacea on my cheeks and chin. My skin has never looked so good, I don't even get so much as a little pimple anymore. The dermatologist also explained that the yeast infection is the same one that causes most diaper rash, so I use the dandruff shampoo to wash, and a "diaper rash" cream (also has to have zinc in it) at the first sign of a flare up, or in hot weather as a preventative.

If the area is extremely red, and painful or if you have an elevated temperature you might have gotten a secondary bacterial infection, and should see a doctor, otherwise the remedies everyone here has recommended are worth a shot first.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #9  

Oh, by the way, I usually buy the Walgreens or Walmart version of Head and Shoulders which is half the price of Head and Shoulders.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #10  

I had this problem when I was heavier. Can't say that I miss it at all! One thing I found that helped was to fold up a paper towel and stick it in the crease (my problem area was where my tummy flopped over). I had enough of a flap that the towel would be held in place, and would soak up the sweat and such. It seems kinda gross, but it worked for me.

Of course, I'm something of a maniac. I also wiped down the area with lysol from a spray can. Ouch! The above suggestions would probably be better than that (though it did work!)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #11  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I think I will try the head and shoulders...HMMM...if I can use one shampoo for my whole body??! That sounds great!

I'm not sure if the lysol is such a good idea....harsh chemicals on open sores? No thank you.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #12  
katallan

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Gold Bond powder works great ( even the generic kind). I use it at least twice a day after a shower or bath.
katallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

Well, I went out and bought the Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel - fast girl, aren't I.
I think I'll also look into the Head and Shoulders!
Great thread, guys! Thank you so much.
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I like Gold Bond, too! Good product. But I find the Soothing Care Gel is somewhat better in places like the bra line or under the arms--especially when I'm working out and sweating a lot.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #15  

I was really afraid to try the dandruff shampoo as an all-over body wash, at first. I was actually kind of paranoid - I compared the ingredients to body washes (mostly the same) and went on line to see if I could find anyone else using it this way (I did).

Still, when I returned to the dermatologist for follow up, she had a new assistant who saw me before the doctor. She seemed shocked when I told her I'd been using the dandruff shampoo as a body wash. It made me kind of scared that I had misheard the doctor. I was relieved when the doctor came in and confirmed that I had heard her right, that it was completely safe to use as my only soap.

I was paranoid enough to do a patch test on my inner arm first, just like you would for hair dyes. I thought if I was allergic to anything, I didn't want to have a rash on my face or be scratching in embarassing places. I put some shampoo on the inside of my arm and left it there for 5 minutes, then washed it off. And I used it just on my face for a couple days, and then was brave enough to shower with it. I do recommend smelling the shampoos in the store, as some smell very nice like any other body wash, and some smell kind of mediciney.