Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

Thank you so much for the advice, Colleen.
I'm excited to try it. I have red on my face as well.
I would love it if this will clear it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I was really afraid to try the dandruff shampoo as an all-over body wash, at first. I was actually kind of paranoid - I compared the ingredients to body washes (mostly the same) and went on line to see if I could find anyone else using it this way (I did).

Still, when I returned to the dermatologist for follow up, she had a new assistant who saw me before the doctor. She seemed shocked when I told her I'd been using the dandruff shampoo as a body wash. It made me kind of scared that I had misheard the doctor. I was relieved when the doctor came in and confirmed that I had heard her right, that it was completely safe to use as my only soap.

I was paranoid enough to do a patch test on my inner arm first, just like you would for hair dyes. I thought if I was allergic to anything, I didn't want to have a rash on my face or be scratching in embarassing places. I put some shampoo on the inside of my arm and left it there for 5 minutes, then washed it off. And I used it just on my face for a couple days, and then was brave enough to shower with it. I do recommend smelling the shampoos in the store, as some smell very nice like any other body wash, and some smell kind of mediciney.
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I get chubrub on my inner thighs in the summer if I wear skirts. It doesn't bleed, but it burns very uncomfortably. The only solution for me has been to use deodorant on my thighs! Cuts down on the sweating and the friction, which seem to be the culprits for me.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBrownEyes View Post
I'm not sure if the lysol is such a good idea....harsh chemicals on open sores? No thank you.
Behold these links:

http://www.mum.org/lysol1.htm

http://www.mum.org/lysol2.htm

That's right: Lysol used to be marketed (as late as the 1950s!) as a vaginal douche ! And they gave Listerine a hard time when they found it didn't cure colds!

You better look at some of the other links included in the two given above, even in the 1930s there were concerns that it was dangerous

Last edited by ANOther; 07-16-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: not enough strong warnings
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #19  

The /lysol2.htm link mentioned above didn't work, but you can reach it by clicking on one of the links in /lysol1.htm. Anyway FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T TRY THIS @ HOME!

And here's one more link with a great thread of comments ...

http://www.cynical-c.com/?p=6696

Last edited by ANOther; 07-16-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: wanted to add one more link
Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #20  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 03:10 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #21  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I got the citrus Head and Shoulders for thin and oily hair (which is what I have) and it has the zinc in it. I'm looking forward to good things happening with my skin. I was going to buy some of that monostat stuff but it was EXPENSIVE for just a little tube. I think I'll get some Gold Bond powder for now and see if the H&S does some good!

Good thread! I think many people are afraid to bring this up.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #22  
I DO have a BellyButton!

I want to let you guys know...I just took a shower...(no, that's not all I wanted to tell you!! )

That Head and Shoulders for thin and oily hair Citrus scent is to die for!! I smell so good. It felt soo good on my skin and I could tell it's going to work. I'm excited to see the results from it. I can imagine it will help with the oils on my face with some much exercising and sweating. It didn't like dry OUT my face but it took a lot of oils off that are usually still there after showering.

So, I already give this product an A!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm trying to get my sister to try the dandruff shampoo, because I read that alot of dermatologists recommended it for face and back acne (which my sister has). I think she thinks that if all of the prescription stuff hasn't worked (her dr is suggesting a chemical peel) that an OTC soap isn't going to make a difference, but I figure it can't hurt.

I know I had heard that some morbidly obese people wash with betadine, so I was going to try it, but there were so many warnings on the bottle that it scared me off. Finding the dandruff shampoo and zinc cream, really has been a miracle. even if I get a little rubbing sore from too tight elastic, the zinc soap and cream clear it up in a day or two instead of a week.

It is kind of embarassing to talk to doctors about these things, especially since unless they've dealt with alot of obese clients (and sometimes not even then) they don't often know much more than any of us. I know whenever I've brought up the crease rashes or chub rub up to doctors, they had no more to offer than "lose weight."

OK, I'll accept that losing weight will decrease the likelihood and severity of these things, but what am I supposed to do in the meantime - you know the two or three years minimumally that it's going to take me to lose all of this weight?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #24  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Exactly, kaplods! How hard would it be for drs. to simply answer the question asked?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #25  

To be fair, I have to say that I have doctors currently who do not dismiss everything as weight related (and then not offer any help in the meantime). But when I was living in central Illinois, it seemed most doctors took one look at me and dismissed my complaints as weight related, and offered no remedy in the mean time. Sometimes I think if I had gone into the emergency room with a gunshot wound or a stick in my eye, and they would have told me to go home and lose weight.

When I went to my neurologist here in Wisconsin for the first time, I said after describing some of my symptoms "I'm sure a lot of this is caused by my weight." I could have kissed him when he said, "I would like to see you lose some weight, but not everything is weight related, and regardless of the cause, we have to get to the bottom of these symptoms and get you functioning and feeling better."

Obesity does seem a little more common in my current area, so I think doctors here have more experience with overweight patients. The doctors can't pretend that fat people don't exist or aren't real people. They probably even are (or were) overweight themselves, or have family members with weight problems.

If anything good can come out of the "obesity epidemic," I hope it would be that doctors gain more empathy and experience working with overweight patients.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #26  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Colleen...what Zinc cream do you use? What brand, I mean? I would like to use this along with the H&S. My fiance has really bad acne on his face...he will have scaring for the rest of his life, but at least it would be nice for him to get rid of the acne part of it. The only place he gets it is on his face and he's tried prescription stuff and ProActive and none of it has worked. I need to get him a container and tell him to use it. I'm sure he would..nothing could be easier!!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

This is such a wonderful thread.
Thank you to everyone participating!
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I read that alot of dermatologists recommended it for face and back acne (which my sister has). I think she thinks that if all of the prescription stuff hasn't worked (her dr is suggesting a chemical peel) that an OTC soap isn't going to make a difference, but I figure it can't hurt.

I know I had heard that some morbidly obese people wash with betadine, so I was going to try it, but there were so many warnings on the bottle that it scared me off. Finding the dandruff shampoo and zinc cream, really has been a miracle. even if I get a little rubbing sore from too tight elastic, the zinc soap and cream clear it up in a day or two instead of a week.
Hmmm, very interesting, I think I'll give Head & Shoulders a shot too, see if that helps. Thanks gals
Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 235/199/160

Height: 5' 10 1/2"

Oh, what a cool thread!

I just got done powdering (cornstarch baby powder) in my bra for my boob rash. LOL I just added the Head & Shoulders and the gel to my grocery list for the next time I'm in town. My oldest kid has some acne so I'm going to tell him to start this, too, and hope it helps keep it somewhat under control. We live in southern Oklahoma with no air conditioning so Sweat 'R Us which only exacerbates the problem.

Thanks for all of the ideas!!
OH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #30  

Sheila, regarding the zinc cream: I bought it in a grocery store, and it looks like it might be a store brand or cheap brand. It is "Aloft Diaper Rash Ointment Skin Protectant" and contains 40% zinc oxide. The rest of the ingredients are listed as inactive ingredients, so I think as long as it's a zinc oxide cream, it shouldn't matter.

I was having an outbreak on my nose this morning, so I slathered it on my nose (yeah, I know diaper rash cream on my face, eww but it's just zinc oxide cream, which life guards use on their nose, so no big deal, right?) Yeah, but I forgot it was there, and went to Walmart with hubby, and when does he decide to say something about it - yeah you guessed it, when we were already in the store. I wiped of some, but I decided if anyone said anything I'd just tell them I was a lifeguard (BIG, FAAAAAT, lifeguard).

I needed more shampoo, so I bought the Walmart brand again. There were about a dozen Head and Shoulders products, and they all smelled great (no citrus, though). I ended up with Walmart's Equate brand again, though. The fragrance is so nice, and I just couldn't justify the $5 difference in cost (under $3 as opposed to over $8 for the H&S brand) just to have an alternative fragrance.