Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I could use some support...

please?

I have been on 3FC before, but I always seem to fall off the wagon.

Recently, my husband and I joined a gym (he is training to commission into the Navy)... but I am having a really hard time finding the chance to go. My husband goes very early (5am), before work. But I work from home and we also have a 2.5 year old daughter. He works very, very late hours- so going after he gets home is not possible. I could get up early and also go before he leaves for work- but I just CAN'T.. it's nearly impossible for me to get up that early. I know that if I were disciplined enough, I could do it. I guess I'm just NOT disciplined enough, that's the problem. It's also hard to go to a gym where everyone has a 'barbie' body. I can always walk around the lake daily with my daughter- but I am just lacking the motivation. I also find myself snacking or wanting to snack (for no reason really) way too often. Ack. I am down to about 207.5, which is still a low for me.. but I just don't seem to lose weight very easily at all, and I've always had this problem. It's just so tough for me to actually lose, and I get frustrated and give up. I really need an accountability partner. I wish that I was strong enough on my own, but I'm not.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

This might be shutting the barn door after the horse is out, but I had the same problem. Small kids at home, and having a tough time getting to the gym during the hours that they were open, had daycare, etc. So we took the money that we would have spent on the gym membership, and bought and elliptical trainer. I use it all the time (watch movies while working out), at MY convenience, not the gym's.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

No matter how hard I try, I will not work out at home. I joined our local Family Y gym, courtsey of my boyfriend paying for it..(.thank you baby!!) But anyways, I only joined that gym because I took a zumba class and had a great hour. It was alot of fun. The teacher was great. And this gym also has a daycare, so as long as my little ones go to the daycare portion, I don't have to pay for them. But if they do other stuff, I have to have them join. But back to my point, I have family who watches my little ones while I go to the gym after work. I also lack motivation AND TIME to work out in the morning. My time is very limited also, but luckily with the help of my family, I do find an extra 1 1/5 a day to allow me to go to the gym. I know this doesn't help you much, but hopefully you'll see that there are ways of finding time. I definately wish you much much success!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

What about collecting some exercise tapes and doing those at home?

About the snacking, since you have kids I'm sure you have some of the sweet children type snacks around... stay away from those! Devote a whole shelf (or portion of one) in the cupboard, and a whole shelf in the fridge, to just healthy snacks. Granola bars, fruit, sliced veggies, and any other healthy snacks.

Hunny, honestly, it doesn't seem like you have any "me" time. This is something that you want for yourself, correct? You need to make YOU a priority in your life. Even if it's just for one hour a day that you spend doing an exercise tape, and logging your foods into www.fitday.com . This is a commitment you need to make to yourself. Just like you made a commitment to your husband, and I'm sure you would never cheat on him. You have a commitment to your body, don't cheat yourself out of having a happy, healthy body.

Good luck, where there's a will, there's a way! I hope you find your way, sweety.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  
No description available.

Congrats on the 20 pounds gone so far!!!

Ideas:
Are you already in a military community? If so they are some of the most supportive people you will ever find. Hook up with a neighbor in a similar situation and trade off watching the kids, one day for you, the next for her.

Does the gym have childcare? Are there any home childcares nearby that would look after your daughter for the time you are there?

Can you get a jogging stroller? Going around the lake is good....going around it faster is better.

How about exercise DVDs? She can watch the Wiggles...you can do Tae Bo off your computer.

Everyone who is a work at home mom has these same challenges, and there are ways around them. Be creative and flexible and you will find a way around them too.

Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #6  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far. You've proven you can do it, and you are not far from Onederland. Way to go!

Now, you just have to find a way to make exercise a regular factor in your schedule. You CAN do it! Trust me, I've used every excuse in the book to get out of exercise and stay away from the gym. In the end, it's about making the time for yourself. Just remember it's your life and you control what you do. Instead of thinking about barriers to exercise, try thinking about ways to overcome them.

If 5 am workouts are not your thing, then find something else that works. I like your idea of walking around the lake with your daughter. Do you have a walking buddy who can join you? Also, have you tried any fitness videos/DVD's? You can borrow them from the library or rent them. Then, you exercise at your own pace, at home and on your own terms. I use Netflix and it's very convenient.

Finally, here is a great link by the US Dept of Health on how to be active at any size. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publication...ve_at_Any_Size

The tips are really great. I love the one about marching in place during TV commercials. It's amazing how many ways you can add movement to your day.

You can DO it! Good luck to you.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Don't worry--you don't need to get up at the crack of dawn. You just have to find out what works for you, and make work what you have. A journey around the lake begins with a single step. Maybe you don't want to go all the way around the lake--just go partway and turn around and go back. That's OK! You at least are moving. Just don't reward yourself with a snack...

Many gyms do have childcare--the Y I go to does. And at the Y, I see all kinds of people on the machines, from over 300 pounds to probably less than 100. Everyone is there for the same reason--stay fit, control weight. No need to feel bad.

You probably will find that as you move more, weight loss will be easier. I liked the suggestion about a machine for the house--an exercise cycle is a good idea for that, too.

Just try to do one thing. Just one. It can be a trip to the gym, a walk outdoors, a walk in a mall, whatever! Just one thing. To get you started. And let us know if you did it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #8  

Wow, responses already! This is why I came back here! You guys are so supportive and sweet .

Now, to answer some questions..

We're not already in a military community, my husband is a civilian .

Amazingly enough, we have plenty of snack food- but it's NOT my daughters'! It's MINE, lol. She eats 100% organic, natural foods and drinks only soymilk and water. I guess that makes me a hypocrite.. yep.. lol. I have recently discovered the 100 calorie snack packs, and they definitely help a LOT with portion control.. or, they WOULD.. if I only had 1-2 a day, and not 3-4. I have really been trying to allow myself fruit whenever I am wanting a snack and reserving the 'snacky snack food' for if and when I am still hungry after that. It is just VERY difficult for me to lose weight. Even when I am working out 3-5 times a week and tracking everything in Fitday, it is VERY hard for my weight to budge. I have had tests run (thyroid, etc.), but everything is normal. I've had this problem my whole life.. and it's just so hard to stay motivated when you're not seeing results. I was tracking very well in Fitday and taking measurements, but I fell off the wagon (err.. several times).

I am really going to try to stick with at least doing laps around the lake on days that I can't make it to the gym, and doing some weights here at home. We did have a stationary bike.. but.. I think it was used maybe once (made for a nice place to hang clothes though!), so we sold it. I am just NOT motivated, but I AM- does that make sense? I am motivated in my BRAIN, but 'carrying it out' is the problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey again! Yeah, sounds like you've had troubles in the past. Use that FitDay, though, and list everything! That way you can't tell yourself you're "on track" when you're really not.

I guess the world is full of exercise bikes that didn't get used. I had one once, used it for awhile, though! But where I live now, I don't have room for ANY machine. That's why I like the gym.

Good luck! Come back and report after your walk or whatever!

Jay
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You may need to ditch the snack packs for awhile. There are some foods, I just need to NOT HAVE IN MY HOUSE. If I want them badly enough I walk to the 7-11 and buy a single portion size.

Work on fixing one behavior at a time for now.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #11  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Change one thing for one week. Next time you go shopping, do not buy any snicky-snacky foods, even the "100 calorie" kind. Nuttin'. When you feel confident about that, change one thing again. Walk that lap around the lake, even if you don't feel like it. Acknowledge that it's hard, that you don't feel like doing it, that "what's the point" -- then go do it anyways. Keep making small changes every week. Just do it, regardless. Tell yourself you'll only go for a 10 minute walk then you can come home. 9 times out of 10, once you get started, you'll go alot further. The weight will come off eventually.

Also, it sounds like you could use some "in person" support w/being a SAHM and your hubby working so much. Look into mommy and me groups. Try the local churches or even check out the newspaper. Lots of these groups are around. Your little one w/be starting preschool in a year or two. This is a great place to find groups to hang with. Good luck and keep at it. We're all in the same boat!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #12  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

For the snack packs, devote yourself to only buying one box a week (I believe there are 6 packs in each) -- that way, it helps you budget your packs and you're average a little less than 1 pack a day.

Alternatively (or additionally) pick wholesome, healthful foods to snack on -- fresh fruits & veggies! While some can still be high in calories (sugary fruits like bananas) they are still a lot more healthful than the processed stuff with a months-long shelf life.

I tried the gym thing too (thankfully, on a free trial membership) and decided it wasn't for me at all -- I have better things to do than to wait around for a machine, not to mention better smelling places to be -- as well as being able to shower at home after I finish my exercise (I have about 5 DVDs at home that I rotate so I get LOTS of variety -- and took some classes with city's park & recreation dept. to boot.)

As for motivation, there's a WIDE variety of them why people want to stay on track. Mine, for example, are:
1) wanting to take surfing lessons in the summer and NOT want to feel self-conscious about having pudges while running around shirtless.
2) my family has a history of diabetes, and I don't need heighten an already elevated risk for such a chronic and ultimately debilitating & disabling disease down the line. (I came fine at my last blood sugar tests, so I want it to stick that way.)
3) And finally, exercise is a great way to de-stress from work! Instead of worrying about projects, I can see if I can make that extra mile or do one more rep with weights

Other 3FCs have a whole gamit of reasons too, from wanting to look great in bikini to wanting to set a good example for their SOs to their doctors simply telling them they're basically gonna die if they don't change their habits. I think once you figure out yours, it's not as difficult to follow through and stick with your plan. In any case good luck and I know you can do this.

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 04-06-2007 at 03:20 AM.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #13  

Thanks again ladies!!

I do actually belong to THREE playgroups- but I think about 80% of the moms in my groups are pregnant, and the other 20% have no interest in working out (I've asked), haha. I do journal at blogspot, so I think that is helping a lot. Thanks for all of the great ideas!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #14  

I just got back from a lap around the subdivision with the jogging stroller, and a lap around the lake with the wagon.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

You GO Mama!

Keep on going!

Jay