Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 164/140/125

Height: 5'5"

Danny, I don't think you would lose too much weight if you don't have extra to lose. You may drop initially, but I think it will all even out over a few months. You can always add in more calories with nuts, avocados, starches if you aren't feeling "right" or losing way too fast, but I think your body will adjust accordingly.

Unfortunately, the 6 weeks is a bit boring if done by the book, but like I said, smoothies, soups, etc. can be done using EXACTLY what you are supposed to eat each day, you just have to be creative. Find a recipe you like and make it fit your new way of eating. (quickie example, I like hummus-it satisfies my bean requirement and helps me to eat all my raw veggies, but commercial varieties (and the recipe in the book) contain oil. I try to make something similar using chickpeas, veggie broth, onions, garlic, etc. It can fit the plan with a bit of experimenting.

The health improvement will be unmistakable regardless of your weight though.
JBrum1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 270/266/180

Height: 5'10"

Danny - If you don't have weight to lose, I would just think of this as a new way of eating lifestyle. Because I am a cancer survivor and have heart issues from my treatments, I have done extensive research. This is definately the right type of diet to be on based on the research. You might also want to look at the Mediterrainian diet too to expand a little on your options so you can make the adjustment easier. No 1 diet fits people exactly so you need to adjust a little to make it work for you. But, keeping in mind that increasing the fruits and veggies and avoid animal products and processed foods are the biggies. I am having some shellfish and fish and do cheat a little on weekends. But if you think of it as a lifelong eating plan instead of a diet it may help.

JBrum1224 I finished my treatment last June. It will be 2 years this May since I was first diagnosed. I had a very difficult time with treatment and almost died a couple times. It seems I have had every odd side effect and complication you can have, but, I am fighting back. I can't exercise right now due to the mono, but I can at least eat healthy. My body just took a huge beating during treatment and can't recover. I am down 20 pounds now, but havent been great this week due to another complication/scare that I won't know the answer to til next Tuesday. UGG.

All of you following this diet are preventing having to go through what I went through. It is worth sticking to!!!
Glad2behere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #123  

Glad2behere, I hope you got good news today!!

Is anyone else still checking in? This was a pretty busy thread for a while, now it's as if (almost) everyone quit at once.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #124  
WW Moderator

Does anybody here subscribe to Dr Fuhrman's newsletter? I got this in the mail yesterday - it makes you think!! It's a testimonial by Emily Boller.

Quote:
In the Fall of 2008, after I had dropped 40 lbs in three months, my peers started commenting and asking questions about the noticeable changes. By the next Spring, when 100 pounds were off, complete strangers such as clerks in stores would comment and ask questions as well.

Everyone's question was, "How did you lose weight?"

Of which my reply would always be, "By following Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book, Eat to Live;. . . . basically eating lots of high nutrient, plant-based foods."

"You mean no meat? No cheese? No pizza? No McDonald's? . . . . Oh, I could never do that!"

Now, over 2 ½ years later, the majority still say to me, "Oh I could never do that!" in response to anything remotely related to the idea of eating meals primarily composed of plant based nutrition.

Well, the following is what I think in response to, “I could never do that”:

"I could never blow the family budget on unnecessary test strips, insulin, medications, doctor and hospital bills, or bypass surgery."

"I could never carry around expensive medical supplies and meds while traveling."

"I could never ask a loved one to mow the lawn for me due to fatigue and ill health."

"I could never turn a child away from playing a game due to a migraine headache."

"I could never miss out on the joy of a wedding celebration due to obesity and depression."

"I could never ask someone to drive me to kidney dialysis three times a week."
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #125  

Jennifer3FC Here, here! I agree totally. I have checked out Furman's site but did not join becasue it is really expensive and I am on a tight budget at the moment.

Jbrum1224 I thought I scared everyone away with my heavy post last time. I had a biopsy yesterday and hopefully get the results today, but I don't think it is cancer again. Hopefully that will be confirmed with results today.

I seem to have daily staples for my diet, so I a curious what everyone else does?
I was never a breakfast eater before, but now I make a morning smoothie with berries, flaxseed and almond milk. I love it!!! There is a local place here that sells all natural bean soups and they have saved me. I loved their split pea and I freeze the leftovers for lunches. It is Sierrasoups.com if you are interested. I absolutely love Trader Joes store. They have a 8 fresh veggie mix that comes in the produce section in a bowl and is cheap. They also sell a mixture of small tomatoes. It makes it so easy to tear up some romaine lettuce throw in a bunch of the already cut up veggies and tomatoes and bam a really easy, healthy salad. I use their pear gargonzola dressing because their is no sugar and the tiny bit of gargonzola won't make that much difference. I also make creamy veggie soups with blended steamed veggies, vegetable broth and almond milk. I find if I eat soup and salad at dinner I don't miss the meat that the rest of the family is eating. They won't convert yet-but I am trying. I am still 20 pounds down right now, but trying to get back on track after my nerves cal down. Emotions are definately tied to food for me. I hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #126  

I love that quote Jennifer posted. After eating well for a little over a year now if I eat some of the crap I used to eat (i.e. double cheeseburgers & chicken nuggets) I almost immediately start to have pain in my stomach and my back and I just want to go to sleep.

I could never go back to eating like that.

G2BH, I am the same way. I don't have a ton of variety in my daily food choices. Smoothie for bfast-usually banana and flax w/ berries, peaches, apples or pears and either soy/almond milk or water, oh and spinich--always greens in the smoothie. For lunch if I don't have leftovers, it's salad or my new fav. a wheat pita stuffed with salad. It doesn't taste so much like salad that way. Dinner is usually some sort of veggie stirfry, but I love a soup and salad dinner too.
I wish I had a Trader Joes near me. Shopping in my area of VA is very sad.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #127  

Well I am up a few pounds because of stress eating, but at least my biopsy came back with no cancer. Yipee. Time to get back on track and get rid of this annoying mono. I have a califlower recipe that is really good:

First pre-heat you oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Next you separate the cauliflower into florets
Then you toss the florets in a bowl with a bit of olive oil. Just enough to coat the cauliflower.
Place them on the prepared backing sheet and spinkle liberally with salt or seasoning of choice.
Roast unitl browned to your liking, about 45 minutes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #128  

mmmmm, sounds yummy. Unfortunately, I don't have any cauliflower, but I do have a decent amount of broccoli. I might have to give that a try.

That's how I make kale chips. Have you ever tried them?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #129  

I have never tried Kale. How do you make it specifically. I am missing crunchy chip like snacks. I got a lecture from my doctor which kick started me again and I lost 2 more pounds. I am down 21 pounds now. Yipee. I just have to keep the momentum going. We are having tostadas tonight-whole wheat tortilla, refired beans, avacado, onion, letuuce tomato and drenched in salsa. Sooo good!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #130  

Post Kale Chips "recipe"

Take a bunch of washed kale, remove the very large stems, then tear into bite sized pieces.
Toss or spray with a bit of oil then sprinkle on seasoning of choice (I use garlic salt, but then again, I use that on just about everything).
Arrange it on a baking sheet and bake at around 350 for 20 minutes. Adjust time and temp as you see fit. They will be crunchy.
They aren't potato chips for sure, but I've even caught my husband making these for himself, so they must be decent.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 195/184/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Eat to Live

So I have been lurking this thread for quite some time, and decided that I would really like to try out Eat to Live. I have been full vegan for two weeks now and have lost 11 pounds (mostly water weight), but really want to shape my vegan diet into a healthier way of life. I purchased the Eat to Live book and have gone shopping today for all the required foods. I have a couple questions though before I go into this.

1) What constitutes a "salad"? I notice in the book that he says salads should be the main meal, and that you should use nutrient dense leafy greens. What do you all add to your salads to spice them up?
2) Is the flax seed necessary? Also, what does it do for the body? I am more than willing to incorporate it into my diet, but would like to know what it has done for you.

Thank you for reading my rant/questions! I hope to hear from you all soon.
tend3rloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #132  

Talking

Hi Tend3rloin,
Congrats on the 11lb loss, water weight or not, it's still encouraging to see it when it happens. To answer your questions,...personally, my usual salad is mixed lettuces/baby spinich (whatever I have on hand) onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, and tomatoes occasionally. Slivered almonds, pine nuts, avocado, broccoli, carrots, jalapenos, or cucumbers are also good additions. Oh, I also like to add chicken or bacon flavored TVP (you know, Bac'n bits). I don't know if that is advisable if you are on the 6 week plan or not, but it will add some flavor and texture.

The flax seed, if I remember corrrectly, is supposed to be non-negotiable. It is a good source of omega 3 which is great for you and possibly lacking without fish, etc. in your new way of eating. It's good mixed into a smoothie or on top of fruit, or maybe you could even mix up your own salad dressing using a bit of flax seed oil if that is easier or more appealing.

Thanks for waking this thread up from it's 5 week nap!!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #133  

Your salads sound so yummy! I was going to keep mine fairly simple but now I have some new ideas! I plan to stop by the health food store tomorrow to pick up the flax, because it seems that is the only place that has it around here!
No problem on waking the thread up! I am looking for support/advice so I'm excited that I can get it going again.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #134  

Not sure where in VA you are, but I have found flax in the vitamin section at Walmart and in the organic/gluten-free "crunchy" section at most local grocery stores. It's easier to find once you've quit looking for it.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #135  

I am located in Southwest Virginia (Abingdon to be specific). I will check out Wal-Mart tonight. I usually avoid that place, but I will venture there tonight to look for it. It is true, once you stop looking for something you always find it. If only I could keep that in mind!