Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #16  
Get through today

Ok, I'm starting ETL on Monday. I don't really like salads, but I love green smoothies and figure I can get a bunch of greens in them twice a day. I can also do the veggies and beans. The limited grains will be hard, but I can do it for 6 weeks. Here goes!
BellaHTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 269.9/174.8/150

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone, I am new here and found this forum while researching ETL online. I am reading the book, fully read half of it and then skimmed ahead and read parts. I have been officially dieting since May, 2009. I started at 269 and am currently 178, mostly through counting calories, but eating a lot healthier as well. I haven't lost anything in 2010, so I'm going to give this a try and see if it will help get my metabolism back in gear. I want to lose at least 30 more and then re-evaluate. I will be doing the modified version.

I know my calorie counts are well within and often below what I need to lose so I'm guessing this is a little bit more stubborn of a plateau. I've had a few so far but usually I out stubborned them and after a couple of weeks, I would drop again. This one is being especially stubborn!

I would like to share ideas for food/recipes, etc. also any suggestions for good salad dressings, I'm currently using just lite ranch, very little amounts, but I'd like to try something different. I went to Central Market yesterday and picked up a bunch of stuff.

I am still going to count calories, especially as I'm doing a modified version.

Anyone have the recipe for a green smoothie? I don't recall seeing it in the book but I may have missed it.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome!
thePetNanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #18  
Get through today

Wow thePetNanny, that is truly amazing! Did you do this just by calorie counting, or also exercising a lot? If I can ask, what is a typical day of meals like? Were you hungry a lot?

I have a green smoothie almost every morning. It has spinach (usually a 10oz bag), 1T ground flax, 1/2cup soymilk, 1 frozen banana, 1 c. frozen berries, 1c. water. Then blend until smooth. Sometimes I'll add a little agave (like honey) to it to make a little sweeter. But I can't taste the spinach and it's super yummy.
BellaHTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaHTH View Post
Did you do this just by calorie counting, or also exercising a lot? what is a typical day of meals like? Were you hungry a lot?
The first 50lbs was through calorie counting alone. I didn't follow any prescribed plan, I use the Daily Plate through Livestrong.com to track my calories (there's an iPhone app for it I use all the time) and basically just kept calories under my limit. I haven't done the same thing the whole time, I started just getting lower calorie options at places I ate and not eating fried/fatty foods, then after 50lbs, I added working out. A typical day would be a South Beach cereal bar or Kashi bar for breakfast, a lowfat cheese stick and/or light yogurt for snack. Lunch might be an orowheat sandwich thin sandwich with light deli meat, very light light mayo, afternoon snack of something 100-calorie portion (rice cakes etc.)...then I usually ate whatever was for dinner but very small portions depending on how much calories it was and then a later snack of quaker rice cakes or veggie straws...

I cannot lose at the amount of calories that is recommended so I use that as I guide but almost always stay below that, just the way my body works. I was going through a plateau but I started Eat to Live (fruit/fresh veg/salad) and doing 30Day Shred and this week I lost 4lbs so far. I think I needed to cut back on the carbs/dairy (the bars, yogurt, cheese and pretzel snacks, etc.) and getting all the extra roughage from the lettuce, spinach etc. is def helping.

Of course I've been hungry! I used to eat like a pig, seriously. There's no way I could go from Sonic and Whataburger all the time to dieting and NOT be hungry. I told myself everytime I felt hungry that it was a good thing, I was losing weight. I don't let myself get toooo hungry (I learned to distinguish the line between a little hungry and going to eat a pint of ice cream hungry) because I will mess up and eat too much of something bad, so if I'm really, truly dying, I'll have some extra fruit or veggies...Eating smaller amounts frequently was the biggest help though.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 153.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I'd like to join you on ETL! I joined the "fat chicks" forum just for the purpose of getting support around this was of eating. I've made a half-hearted attempt before, but I lacked the support. Looking forward to getting it here!
Pitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitgirl View Post
Yes, I'd like to join you on ETL!
Hi Pitgirl! I joined for the same reason. I certainly feel better and I think we'll definitely be tons healthier (and tons less, lol)...

So does anyone have any interesting recipe or food they've found that works on ETL that they'd like to share? I'm going to get tired of salads in a bowl at some point, LOL...
Old 01-28-2010, 02:26 AM   #22  

I started ETL a week ago and I've lost TEN POUNDS!!!!! I've been a vegetarian for two years and waffled back and forth between vegan/vegetarian. ETL is showing me that my body does better without dairy/meat, etc. I'm so happy with my progress and feel great. I'm also running every day as well, which certainly helps.

My big problem is that I've been weighing myself daily or even twice a day. I need to stop that.
encelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

Hi I posted that I was going to start but never did. So here I am starting again.

You where asking about recipes for ETL and fatfreevegan.com has a whole section on ETL foods. my favorite is the fried bean soup recipe. Also Dr fuhrman has a lot on his website. He also sells vinigers that are really good I got a bounch of them is sample size.

I wish you all well happy thursday

Maureen AKA G
gggbdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by encelia View Post
I started ETL a week ago and I've lost TEN POUNDS!!!!! I've been a vegetarian for two years and waffled back and forth between vegan/vegetarian. ETL is showing me that my body does better without dairy/meat, etc. I'm so happy with my progress and feel great. I'm also running every day as well, which certainly helps.

My big problem is that I've been weighing myself daily or even twice a day. I need to stop that.
Encella, that is a great start! Running certainly helps.

Weighing every day or not depends on the person. Some people can do it and even if they haven't lost or heaven forbid gained, they can stay on track. Some people will fall right off if the scale doesn't show what they like. I used to be like that and when I started losing weight I would only weigh weekly because I knew it would mess with my determination if I weighed more often. However, now I guess I've done it long enough to realize that there are going to be days I retain water or don't lose, hit a plateau, whatever...and sometimes I will weigh daily just to try to gauge if I'm overdoing the sodium, diet drinks, or busted the plateau I was on. Kind of helps me see what's working and what's not. I don't do that all the time though, only if I'm having a struggle.

Keep at it~
Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggbdomino View Post

You where asking about recipes for ETL and fatfreevegan.com has a whole section on ETL foods. my favorite is the fried bean soup recipe. Also Dr fuhrman has a lot on his website. He also sells vinigers that are really good I got a bounch of them is sample size.
Thanks so much! I will check those out. I did go to his website and tried to register and it wanted me to pay a fee so I left. I didn't investigate to see what/if anything was available for free, so I'll go back. I do need to get a little more creative or I know I'll mess up!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #26  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone. My husband and I have been following ETL off and on since May of last year and had great success with our health and weight loss. Since the holidays, we've had a little harder time controlling the amount of grains and starches, but we're ready to go hard core again.

We eat cut up mixed fruit for breakfast. This time of year we have apples, banannas, strawberries and mandarin oranges. Summer is better for fresh fruit due to our love of peaches! Lunch is a black bean burger on a lite bun, unsweetened apple sauce and green salad. Dinner starts with a big green salad that I usually add chickpeas to and then a cooked veggie like cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli. We also add a snack of a small handful of walnuts or almonds.

What do you all think about the soy controversary? I've been reading lately about how toxic it can be unless you eat a fermented type - like tempeh. I'd like to try seitan. I'll have to find it in the stores first! Sounds too time consuming to make from scratch.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #27  

WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

My husband and I have been doing ETL for about 10 days now. Today we caved to a stupid urge and went out to dinner, where he ordered a hamburger and fries and I ordered a veggie burger and fries. Yes, it was stupid.

So of course, here we are 4 hours later and both of us are sick, sick, sick to our stomachs! We have the worst stomach issues imaginable. Awful! I will never, ever, ever do that again. It was so not worth it. Looking forward to getting over this and starting off the morning with a green smoothie.
encelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

Hi,

I just wanted to say slip ups happen and just get right back on it at the next meal. When you feel tempted remember how badly you felt and maybe that will help.

G

PS Bella Is that a photo of Rob Paterson as your avitar?
gggbdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 155 / 125

Height: 5'5"

Just saw this - I completed my 1st week of ETL, and lost 4 lbs! I love it, it's the easiest diet and I feel great. I do bend it *a little* - ie, I have cream in my coffee. Can't do without coffee + cream. But other than that, I'm pretty strict with it.
Sunsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 144/122.5/117

Height: 5'1"

I can really use some support with ETL.. I've been doing it for just over a week and so far, no weightloss at all.
I have to think that I must be doing something wrong here.
remee is offline   Reply With Quote