Old 05-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #136  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Here's a lengthy explanation about the goodness of flax: http://www.flaxhealth.com/howflaxhelps.htm
I get mine at the grocery store near the flour. You can also order it online from Amazon or Bob's Red Mill. Get ground flaxseed unless you want to grind it yourself.

A salad can really be whatever you want it to be. I usually use 1/2 spinach and 1/2 other leafy green, and then any of these I have on hand: carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli slaw, cabbage, and/or roasted veggies like eggplant, summer squash, brussels sprouts. I've even thrown leftover cooked green beans or peas into it. Then I add 1/2 oz walnuts and usually some kind of fruit (blackberries, strawberries, apple, orange). The sweetness of the fruit helps with the non-sweetness of the veggies and the nuts help with satiety. Also fat to help you absorb the veggie goodness. If I haven't had ground flaxseed on my morning oats, I sprinkle it over my salad too. Mrs. Dash makes some good non-salt spice mixes if you want to sprinkle some one, and I've found that Sriaracha hot sauce adds a nice bite to my salads or cooked veggies (though it does have salt in it -- probably sugar too). I add 1/2c of cooked beans to my salads for protein. You want your salad to be BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tend3rloin View Post
1) What constitutes a "salad"? I notice in the book that he says salads should be the main meal, and that you should use nutrient dense leafy greens. What do you all add to your salads to spice them up?
2) Is the flax seed necessary? Also, what does it do for the body? I am more than willing to incorporate it into my diet, but would like to know what it has done for you.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #137  
wife2abadge

I am currently a member of his site. It is very helpful, but I'm not going to renew my subscription. It is expensive, and some of the people there have a very superior attitude (or maybe it's my own insecurities?). Dr. F does answer people's queries personally, but (though I've heard he is a very caring, warm person when you meet him) he comes across as very impatient and gruff.

[QUOTE=Jennifer 3FC;3770721]Does anybody here subscribe to Dr Fuhrman's newsletter? QUOTE]
Old 05-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #138  

Anybody out there still doing ETL?
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 192/168/140

Well, I am trying to do ETL--I've read the book and actually I'm doing a tweeked combination of McDougall/Fuhrman. I actually call it the McFurhman program which fits my lifestyle.

My goal is to be more healthy and if I lose weight in the process, this is good. I do have about 50 pounds I need to lose. I just started on this program yesterday and I will say my first day was very successful and it wasn't that hard to do. I feel great.

I was already vegetarian so the adjustment to this program wasn't that difficult to do. I hope to post here a lot and to get acquainted with all of you.

so jazzmegirl---there are some who are on the ETL program yet even though my program is a bit different.

Last edited by Breezy10; 06-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Breezy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #140  

It sounds like you're doing the very same thing I am. I like McDougall but can't seem to get enough veggies in I love potatoes way too much. Yesterday was day one and I followed Fuhrman with a few potatoes (in soup) and I must say it went pretty well. I ate a ton of veggies a green smoothie, huge salad with garbanzo beans and kidney beans, veggie soup and another salad with a few pumpkin seeds and also a couple apples. I felt great at days end and plan on doing it again today. One day at a time! This weight I've been carrying with me is just ridiculous I'm sick of it and need to commit to losing it this year.
Snowflake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #141  

good for you Snowflake--you can do it!! What you ate yesterday sounds just great. I'm the same way--it is time to get the weight off for good. I like doing it through small lifestyle changes which makes it more permanant. I'm determined to stick with this and incorporate it into my lifestyle.....
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #142  

Default Introduction

Hello Everyone! I am new to 3fatchicks. I am planning on doing a McFuhrman type of diet, too. Today wasn't so good food-wise. DH and son decided to get pizza! Argh! My nemesis! But I am re-stocking the cabinets and frig and looking for a group of recipes to use for default recipes so I can be ready to go. Without planning well, I am sunk! Glad to see others here! I know Breezy10 - she brought me here. Looking forward to getting to know you, Snowflake!
QuiltDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #143  

Hey QuiltDiva--glad you're here. Pizza really is hard for me to resist too but I'm determined to stay on my plan. Today is a new day and you can start today. I ate lunch out yesterday and had a wonderful tossed green salad with all kinds of wonderful things in it with no dressing and it actually tasted delicious.

I think I need to re-train my tastebuds!!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #144  

I also think we need to have "quick" snacks on hand in case we are tempted to eat something not on our plan. That might help when DH brings out the pizza.

Today is my 3rd day on my program and already I feel better. No TUMS being consummed either--that ought to tell me something!!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #145  
wife2abadge

I am not sure I could ever follow ETL 100%. My family wouldn't be open to doing that, which makes it very difficult. Besides, I love pizza and ice cream and other non-ETL foods too much to NEVER eat them again. I try to eat lots of veggies, fruit, and beans daily, have my daily flaxseed and walnuts or almonds, and cut back on sugar/bread/pasta/rice/cereals, etc. I think that's as close as I'll ever get. Who knows -- maybe in the future when my kids are older and not around to ask for non-ETL foods?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #146  

I agree, Susan - I could never say I won't touch any of those foods again. But, in full disclosure, yesterday I had deep dish pizza, ice cream and M&M's. That isn't self-control! And the guys would have been fine if I had said I didn't want to order the pizza. It was my own doing. I am sure I will have a froz. yogurt cone with DH now and again. This is one thing we do together - go out and get one - I know better than to have a carton of ice cream in the house - I'd be dipping in there throughout the day. It also have me terrible reflux last night. But today is a new day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and am dressed to go to the gym.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #147  

Good for you QuiltDiva---looks like you started out your day well.

wife2abadge--it really is hard to do this program with kids around and having to cook for them. I understand completely. While I do a combination of ETL and McDougall, I have also tweeked it to fit my lifestyle. Actually what I'm doing is probably more centered towards WeightWatchers rather than ETL/McDougall. I allow a very small amount of healthy fat per day if I need it. Usually I don't.

Really, it just boils down to using self-control. Just tell your stomach YOU are in control, not IT!!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #148  

Today is my fourth day and I'm continuing on my program. I feel great too.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #149  

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep up the great work!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #150  
wife2abadge

Luckily, my family is pretty open to eating beans, salads, fruit, and will eat most of the vegan dinners I cook. They just also really like meat and bread!