Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 185/175/125

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default Took a risk

Hello :
I realized when I posted my strong feelings on that eating regiment that I was taking a massive risk, as it was very clear by reading many of your posts that it was fairly well received by most and many were really happy with it.

To those who are happy living/eating in this manner, it was not really to you that I was directing my thoughts, as I have no desire to tell somebody what they are doing that gives them happiness or good health, that they are 'wrong' and I am 'right'. I just thought with so much enthusiasum for something that I found repellent, I would give an alternative opinion for anybody contemplating buying this book without knowing the massive amount of restrictions.

I meant no offense, and I say again as I sign off, if this makes you happy, healthy, you go for it. I find it awful, dull, boring, and way way way too joyless. An Italian woman who never eats pasta, bread, olive oil, olives......... never !!!

Peace.
MissPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

There is nothing wrong with finding it Joyless but some of the statements in your original post sound as though you aren't as familiar with the plan so to offer such a strong opinion with statements like you are only allowed one cup of beans for protein etc. is misleading if your aim was to give those considering the plan an alternative view.

Also remember the main thing about this plan is health and reducing the morbidity associated with being overweight/obese. There are plenty of people who would find this plan to drastic and he mentions that because of being addicted to the American diet which is responsible for a decrease in quality of life and ultimately death as a result of complications associated with diabetes, heart disease, etc. If you read the examples he uses in his book they are of people in very dire health situations who require drastic measure to save their lives.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #63  
~~~~~~~~~~

S/C/G: 210/207/140

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

This is really great information, thanks everybody! I found what the author says about protein content of the various non-animal sources and that's GREAT to hear! I'll get the book and try the diet.

Bread is sure hard to give up. Is flax allowed on the ETL diet? I found a recipe for flax crackers that is delicious. You grind some flax seeds, add a little salt and water, and then mash that out flat and bake it until it's crispy.

Also for those new to flax, be sure to keep it in the refrigerator (both flax seeds and flax oil should be refrigerated always). If you're using the seeds, always grind them, otherwise your digestive system can't break down the hard shell to use the nutrients. Just grind enough for a day or two, and be sure to keep that in the fridge too.

I wonder if flax has any protein? I'll check the label.

Another tasty flax treat is to grind a little bit, and dip apple slices or banana or whatever else you're eating, dip it in the ground flax seeds. It's got a nice sort of nutty flavor.

Thanks again for all this great information about the ETL way of eating.
Sissy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #64  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

sissy, ETL is a low fat diet so flax would be eaten minimally.

MissPossum - I think though that on the surface it could sound boring but once you dig in deep, you can have a lot of wonderous things. I'm a mexican woman and tortillas, rice, tamales, hominy, etc were all part of my culture but still I enjoyed ETL.

With imagination, you can make some really good meals such as indian curried lentils over green beans, raw veggies with hummus, new mexico chile beans, risotto made from white lentils, mashed cauliflower, 'refried' beans, hearty vegetable lentil soup, split pea soup, 'fried' rice made with grated cauliflower, green smoothie with berries and bananas, etc.

If eating pasta and bread works for you, then it works for you. Many find they can't lose weight and keep it off with bread/pasta.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Sissy: because of the need for omega 3 fatty acids the ETL recommendation is about 1 tbsp daily. Are you grinding your flax seeds in a food processor? I'm a little intimidated by flax seed and have yet to try it but I have some.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #66  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

JackieRN--
I bought a cheap spare electric coffee bean grinder for spices and flax seed. It works very well for both and no clean up is needed (just wipe out with a paper towel). I read somewhere to store your flax seeds in the freezer (as well as nuts and other seeds), store any extra ground flax seed in the fridge and don't grind a whole lot at once. I usually will grind a few days worth and have 1T a day to get those essential fatty acids.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote