UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #31  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Crabsticks/Seafood Sticks! Only 15 cals each and they go really nicely in a salad roll!
Old 04-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #32  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

I love those Sarah too, I especially like the ASDA ones like giant prawns called PINKS.
My latest love is Bernard Matthews wafer thin turkey breast chinese style.
100g packets have 110 cals it is 95% fat free and delicious. I like it in hot pitta or with stir fry veg, yummy. Great for a low cal meal or sandwiches.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:55 PM   #33  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Hi girls, I seem to have missed this thread before now.
Just a word on microwave popcorn. Over here they have some called 'Jolly Time' 94% fat free and you can actually eat the whole bag for two and a half WW points. It's not actuall the greatest tasting popcorn I've ever had but it does fill a hole and I think it convinces you that you were able to be a big
Have no clue as to whether you can buy this brand at home but I know there are a lot of things here over there now so I live in hope. Saying that though, I don't think you can beat anything British...and I'd love a trip round Sainsbury's or Tesco's
Old 04-09-2002, 01:52 AM   #34  
Consistency + Balance

Chris - that is SO nice to hear.... All I seem to read all the time is how much better the US supermarkets are to their UK cousins. It always seems to me that (reading the US posts on diet websites) the US has such a huge selection of diet related foods - and other foods for that matter. Somehow I always end up thinking us Brits are a bit hard-done-by.

Why do you prefer British?? I must admit I prefer Morrisons to either Sainsbury's or Tesco, though!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:53 PM   #35  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Sarah, hi ya. I think I prefer British cos one it was what I grew up with and I miss so many of our products, like decent tea bags for one. Plus, you are right in thinking that the US stores do offer so much, and i find that a problem, there is too much on offer, it's mind boggling sometimes. When a British friend of mine came to visit me in AZ, (it was her first experience of America) I took her to the local supermarket and we were in there for three hours just walking up and down all the aisles. She was flabbergasted at all the different things and of course seeing as she was on holiday she treated herself to many different things she'd never had before. I also think that our ( Brit) supermarkets are much more people friendly. Here, you don't know anyone, don't seem to bump inot anyone that you may know there whilst shopping, and to all the people who work there you are just another face and they don't care if they never see your mug again.
I hope I don't offend anyone by writing about prefering British, I really don't mean to...sorry...I guess I am just proud to be a Brit and even though I now reside in the US, it's not because that was my life dream, it's because I love my hubby
Right, I think I've prattled on enough for now....going now....
Old 04-10-2002, 04:45 AM   #36  
Consistency + Balance

That sounds both wonderful AND awful, both at the same time.

I've got the opposite problem - we most often go to a smallish Netto supermarket in a town about 8 miles away near where we used to live. If there's noone in there we know it takes just about 20 mins to do my average week's shopping because there is very little range/selection (but the prices are VERY cheap) .... BUT usually it takes a couple of hours because we know most of the staff AND there is usually a whole load of people we got to know while running our fish & chip shop in that town and everyone loves to have a little natter.

Its got to the point when I only go once a month now (cos I am the worst offender for nattering) - the rest of the time Kevin goes on his own.

TQ - I love that Bernard Matthews Chinese chicken as well and they do a tikka flavoured once which is gorgeous....

Has anyone tried pastrami - I buy it from Netto in a pack (like ham) and it is REALLY low in calories and very tasty. Last night for supper (while Kevin was having his usual cheese on toast) I had a small roll (95 cals) with pastrami (20), mustard and tomato (8) - total 123 cals and it was really lovely and satisfying.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:57 AM   #37  
diva of the diet

Sarah havent seen the tikka one for ages but i love that too. Pastrami is wonderful, so tasty and you dont need a lot, i love it with French's mustard.
I am into strawberries at the moment, a bit pricey just now but I have been having them with yoghurt or Shape fruit juice mousse, wonderful.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:57 AM   #38  
Consistency + Balance

The thing I like best for lunch at the moment is a pepperoni (in the green packaging) sliced in to some leftover pasta or rice mixed with a bit of plain low fat yoghurt and a little chopped onion and tomato.... leave for 30 mins for the flavours to develop and then it is wonderful.

I got a three 250g punnets of strawberries for £1 yesterday!

Brag.... brag.... brag.... brag....

I had my share of them with Walls soft scoop icecream and they were totally delicious.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:45 AM   #39  
diva of the diet

I am not even going to mention how much i paid for mine....sob....now you know why everytime I visit my mam I spend my time shopping!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:54 AM   #40  
Consistency + Balance

Tee hee hee.... they're still doing the strawberries at that price...!

Okay - question to everyone - at the beginning of this thread a lot of people recommended drinking loads of water each day - which I have tried... but I'm just not very good at drinking the amount that we're supposed to. Has anyone else managed to keep up the 3 litres a day??

Anyone got any new tips or suggestions??

I read an article which said we lose weight faster if we eat chillies. So I have experimented and I really do think they have got a slight point - I have found that hot, spicy meals keep me feeling satisfied for longer, especially if they contain a lot of carbohydrate - so right now I am eating a lot of vegetable chillies or curries with brown rice or even pasta.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:58 AM   #41  

sarah i couldnt even drink a litre a day................ too many loo breaks for my liking , water is so bland yuk yuk too even the flavoured stuff ........i KNOW its still water...... cant beat the brain into thinking about it any other way, i can turn crispbread into delicious chocolate biscuits(in my head) but i cannot change water into anything other than it is
could you post your recipe sarah and give calories too
im useless at cooking and have no imagination for it because i dont like to do it, so a recipe thread on here would be just great
Old 04-18-2002, 04:07 AM   #42  
Consistency + Balance

Good idea! I'll look out the recipes and post 'em tomorrow!

Anyone else got any nice recipes to share??
Old 04-18-2002, 04:16 AM   #43  

I usually manage to drink 2 litres of water a day when I am at work. I just keep the bottle right next to me and keep filling my glass up. I do feel better when I drink it but I never seem to drink any at weekends. Weekends are for other forms of liquid refreshment
Old 04-18-2002, 04:41 AM   #44  
Consistency + Balance

I'm impressed, Phoebe! I think I would be constantly popping off to the loo if I drank 2 litres of water a day on top of my normal coffee.

I did used to try and force myself to drink loads of it but in the end I actually made myself cut down on water in the afternoons and evenings because I was waking up 3-4 times a night and once I'm awake I find it hard to get back off to sleep again.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:34 AM   #45  
Pending Email Confirmation

I drink about 1 litre every day, but I have the fizzy stuff with a slice of lemon (Ii try to make myself it is s G & T) I can't drink the still at any cost.

Sarah - SW list a lot of foods as speed foods. They are generally foods which contain a lot of water, like strawberries, melon etc. The are supposed to speed up your weight loss!!!
Closed Thread