Old 12-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 197/191/147

Height: 5'8''

Hello Everyone!

Made it through Day 4 under 1800 calories. I don't own a scale (I weigh myself when I visit my parent's house)... but my face looks thinner and my bra is looser.. would it be possible to lose at 1800? It seems like most people are eating much less than I am! I already asked about calories on another thread... I think I will need to go lower... but those darn calculators online confuse me! They all say I will maintain at like 2100... so at 1800 I should lose (according to them) however not at 2 pounds per week??

Eh! For now I'm just trying to stay just below 1800 because I am REALLY bad about over eating. I think next challenge I will go down another 100 calories or so.

Joy - I would love to see that calculator for cigs if it's not too much trouble!! Thank you! Yeah, I tried working on changing my diet a lot when I quit so I wouldn't gain and so that I would have something else to focus on. I actually got down to 155 (from 163). But went back up to 160. You are so right! I can't get over how much more time I have now that I don't smoke!! I'm used to it now I guess, but at first it was weird. I would sit down to do something and be done with it quickly, whereas when I smoked it would take so much longer with all of the breaks I used to take! I like it!!

CBETA - thanks for the tips on mushroom hunting! I just imed my friend to tell him about it... he really loves food, so I thought he would be interested. He sent me this link: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/ it's a guy in NY who will take you foraging!!

Good Work Everyone on your challenges!!

Oh Fish - has the snow been melting where you are?! It's practically all gone here

Ees
eesabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #152  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

ees -- It's VERY possible to lose at 1800. Calorie calculators are, at best, just an approximation. There is NO way someone can know your bodyfat and muscle ratio. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn just sitting there. I easily lose if I stay under 1800 but staying under 1800 is NOT easy for me because I exercise alot. Also, you can't really figure how much you exercise off. It's all just an approximation. The same really goes with food and figuring the calories in it. The best way is to just look at yourself and over the long run, being consistent and maintaining an exercise routine (and thus muscle mass), you will see how many (about!) you can lose on. Also, if you've been doing a lot of yo-yo dieting, you'll have damaged your metabolism and made it harder to lose. The final rule...DON'T compare. Just gauge and adjust.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoon
ees -- It's VERY possible to lose at 1800. Calorie calculators are, at best, just an approximation. There is NO way someone can know your bodyfat and muscle ratio. The more muscle you have the more calories you'll burn just sitting there. I easily lose if I stay under 1800 but staying under 1800 is NOT easy for me because I exercise alot. Also, you can't really figure how much you exercise off. It's all just an approximation. The same really goes with food and figuring the calories in it. The best way is to just look at yourself and over the long run, being consistent and maintaining an exercise routine (and thus muscle mass), you will see how many (about!) you can lose on. Also, if you've been doing a lot of yo-yo dieting, you'll have damaged your metabolism and made it harder to lose. The final rule...DON'T compare. Just gauge and adjust.
red I know you are getting ready to travel and time is limited, (have a great trip by the way) , but how much is a lot for you. I understand things are relative. If you feel uncofortable please reply via private message.
Thank you,
C.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #154  
prepare for the BEST time

Hi everyone:

I'm very impressed with all your hard work! (and envious on the abs. gyms, etc).

No challenges for me yet, but my shoulder is getting stronger and I have a bit more "reach"....although I can't change a ceiling light fixture, nearly murdered the cat by dropping a screwdriver from the sky.

Carla, you must fake Lily out....hide the meds (pocket or bra), pet the cat and swiftly pull out the drops before she knows what's coming.

Speaking of *High Drama*, my one cat hisses like a vampire when I comb the knots out of his armpits, he spreads his front paws like wings and bares his teeth at me.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #155  
Never give up

CBETA, sorry, not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how much I exercise?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #156  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

hey fish woman.. i am in southern maryland ... we got ALL the snow! 8"
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #157  
Cynical RedHead

Ah, the joy of giving medicine to the kitty. Why must they be so indignant about it? First you have to get the cat to even get close enough to you to pick up, then the twisting and squirming and hissing . . . oy vey, it's enough to make you say "go ahead, be sick, see if I care." With the dogs, you just have to wrap pills in cheese!

Dang, Curly, you did get all the snow Our snow isn't melted yet, but if it gets into the 40's this week, it will be gone.

I have attached a picture of Sam and Olivia in the snow this morning. We tried to get a picture of the kitty in the snow, but he got mad and ran inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samandoliviainsnow.JPG (25.5 KB, 19 views)
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #158  
Never give up

Smile

Day 9 done!!!

Fish -- They're beautiful! It looks like an oil painting!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #159  

Have you tried the wrapped in a towel trick for getting the cat's meds? It is a bear, but once you get the hang of it it is the best way that I have found to get meds into an angry feline - just wrap them FIRMLY in a towel from the neck down - you have to wrap fairly tightly because they will try to wriggle those little paws out, but not tightly enough to hurt them, of course - then you sort of do kitty headlock with one arm to hold the towelled cat in place while putting in the eye drops with the other hand. It's easier with two people, but it can be done with one.

I find that I can lose at around 1800 calories a day if I add moderate exercise to my lifestyle, but it is different for every person and what works for me might not work for someone else.

Keep on Truckin!
Erin
chaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #160  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

day # 3 >>> 1392 calories
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoon
CBETA, sorry, not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how much I exercise?
yes.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #162  

Today marks the end of my 2nd day of my no soda challenge.

I don't know what it is about this challenge but it's like I can turn my will power on like a switch.

I would have never imagined a challenge to myself would work so well but hey I'm not complaining.

I'll check in again tomorrow.

Tina
justkeepswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 PM   #163  

Sometime we just need a little nudge in the right direction. Personally, I need about 3 or 4 burly men to push me.....
I'm rolling along here, Day 6 of SWN and Day 5 of WALK
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #164  

Day 3 of walking and water challenge completed, even though studying for law school finals. yeah baby! - Once again I ended up taking a late night trip to wal mart in order to be able to walk where it was warm - and it was actually 8 minutes after midnight when I finished, but I'm still counting that as completing day 3.

Keep on Truckin!
Erin
chaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:04 AM   #165  
Exercise Queen

Abs Day 17
No Chocolate Day 6
*No Soda Day 23 * Challenge Completed*

Back from rehearsal, heading for bed. It sounds like everyone is off to a great start this week.
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote