Old 10-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Well I think I'm done beating myself up. I have to be positive in order to do this so I forgive myself! I've done great today! Day 1 a consider a sucess!!

Shad - I agree the energy here is awesome! It also nice to know that you not alone when it comes to working out. So many times we are so hard with one self thinking we can do more!

Melody - You inspired me to pick up some apples. I threw some in my salad today. Yummy!! Great going on not drinking diet pop!

crd43123 - That sounds like a great challenge! Yea that night time hunger gets me. One thing I'm working on is the types of hunger. Here is what I do. It really seems to help me... Think of these things before you take that bite!!!

Emotional Hunger
Develops Suddenly
Strikes above the neck ( e.g. a "taste" for ice cream)
Occurs at random times
Persistes despite eating
Eating leads to guilt or shame.

Physical Hunger
Builds gradually
Strikes Below the neck ( e.g. growling stomach) Occures serveral hours after a meal
Goes away when full
Eating leads to a feeling of satisfaction
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #17  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

nite time hunger: oh my ... now that is my down fall.. i would wake up at like 2 am and have a bowl of cereal... know how i fixed that? lol i dont buy cereal anymore...

only old fashioned oatmeal that ya have to cook!
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I'm starting over at day 1 tomorrow I had a fast-food hamburger for lunch today - what a mistake! It tasted good, but as soon as I was finished with it I regretted it. Why do I do that? I eat things knowing that I shouldn't, knowing that I'll just regret it as soon as it's down my throat.

Ugh. I'm disappointed in myself. I didn't even get through a WEEK this time, and I'd been sticking to that calorie limit for MONTHS.

Last edited by gray eyed girl; 10-20-2005 at 12:18 AM.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:51 AM   #19  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile wrapping up Day 1!!!

Ok, everyone, glad to see so much action. I have to make this a quick message as I'm just dead tired and need sleep! Suffice it to say I made it through Day 1!! For now, the challenge (I'll split them if I add any elements) is the same, no white flour, no sugar, no cheese, nuts or deep-fried food...anything else? Oh yeah! No alcohol?! How did I forget that one?!?! Oh yes, there IS one more element. I must journal my food and exercise and be able to caluculate the approximate calories I consumed (and expended). I don't have to do that if I don't feel like it, but I have to write it all down in enough detail (as to portions and number) that I could calculate it if I wanted to. The goal, though not part of the challenge, is to watch the calories and try to keep them from going way outta whack! ALSO and this is a big one....the pause days must be recorded as well...or I will have to start over. I think I can do way, way, WAY too much damage on a pause day, which is stupid if I want to lose weight....Okay, folks, there it is in writing. I'm wrapping up Day 1 as soon as I write down what I just ate....

gray -- I don't want to hear you getting down on yourself!!!! you hear me!!! One itsy-bitsy fastfood hamburger is not something to be disappointed about. Now, maybe if you'd had two double servings of fries with 10 tubs of ketchup, three super-duper-whopper--woopers with extra mayonnaise, three servings of onion rings and a chocolate milkshake AND a strawberry milkshake, AND a diet coke, I'd be disappointed! Look to what you did RIGHT. Make note of what you were disatsified with and aim to do better than that next time. Really, being disappointed, angry, upset, any of those nasty things means you're probably focusing on what you did wrong, instead of what you did right. Simply noting it is enough, buoy yourself up with some, "you weren't able to today, but you CAN try to do it tomorrow" talk and kick on! Okay?!!?

mez -- I liked your emotional vs. physical hunger chart there. Very true! I liked your attitude when you were talking to Fish about there "really isn't any way you lose," SO, I want to hear you saying this to yourself, in that mirror! And, like gray, I don't want to hear you getting mad at yourself. Just laugh it off...eating chocolate first thing in the morning!! You made the effort, were very innovative about making cupcakes so you could count the calories. Just think, you could have just made the cake, closed your eyes and stuffed it in. But NOOOO!! You counted. So, a little forgetfullness is something to laugh at, not ask to be kicked about...no, unacceptable self battering! Somebody, get the strait-jacket for this woman!

curly -- Congrats on 15! I think you made the whole challenge, right? What a save too! Devils and angels on your shoulders?! Wow! Could be them affecting weigh-ins, no? Good for you for going 2 miles AND appreciating that beautiful sunrise!

friends -- You do what is good for you, right now. Why feel bad about DOING something, 10 minutes or 100, you are DOING and that is great stuff! Keep it up! I wouldn't add a whole minute a day. Like Fish suggested, maybe add a minute every two days, or go two steps forward, one step back kind of thing, or slow the pace the first day and pick it up the second. Anything to keep you busy and keep things from seeming hard is good. You have to be the judge of that. Good luck!

Sweet -- Nice to hear from you! But, what's this about getting sick because you started too fast?! Slow it down! Little bit at a time. Come on, I want to see you counting the days with us!

Fish -- Hurrah on Day 1!! I hear you on the wanting your extra sleep. Could you go to bed a bit earlier? Maybe that would be the solution. It would be nice to get out in the early morning. It is such a fresh-smelling and quiet time. I love it.

marble -- You are really moving along!! Looks like maybe you got a bit too rambunctious! I hope not and hope your back feels better.

crd -- Join in!! How did Day 1 go?

Shad -- Hi there! You must be excited about your trip. Thanks for checking in and I hope to have you back with us soon!

Melody -- You're doing great!! That craving may be for the caffeine. Maybe just have a little coffee until the cravings go away. I always say, just don't think of the things you want. Just act like you never drank them and never will. It's just NOT an option. I do that and it works most of the time. Best to try not to dwell on what you're giving up. I like that you are not focusing on calories but on health. I did this as well for my past four challenges. I know I have to cut down on the food if I want to lose weight (though I did lose some). I want health to be a priority though, not calories, that's why I've tried to get myself in the habit of only eating healthful things. This time I've added the journal. Next time, possibly an actual calorie count IF the weight doesn't come off satisfactorily this time.

Last edited by redballoon; 10-20-2005 at 09:40 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #20  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

Default day 16

day 16 over with.. and down 1 lb this week.. so thats 11 lbs since september... and an average of 1.5 lbs per week..
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #21  

Cool So Sore this morning..

Owwwww! Not only did I do the ten minutes on the Gazelle yesterday, but then I got a wild hair up you know where and decided to paint my living room yesteday. I painted for 3 hours straight and now I am sore all over. So weird, I didn't think painting would make me so sore... sooo outta shape I am. I am going to TRY to do the Gazelle again today if my stiff sore legs will let me. So I will still have to check back in to see if I succeeded with day two of my challenge.

Thank you to everyone for your insights. I have decided to go two to three days at 10 mins depending on how it feels and then increase by a minute and do the same from there. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Make a great day!!
Lisa
friendsforfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #22  
Cynical RedHead

Okay, made it through day 2 at 1164 calories. No wonder I was still hungry last night! (I really thought my lasagna was more calories than it actually was.)

Red - I have a very hard time sleeping. It usually takes me about 2 hours after I lay down to actually fall asleep. So I am normally not falling asleep until between 12:30 and 1:30. As i often do not get home from work until around 7 or 8, it isn't really feasible for me to be in bed by 9. I also wake up during the night.

Mez - that is so true - we really aren't losing anything because every day we are striving for a goal!

Curly - Mmm. Old fashioned oatmeal. I don't eat it a lot in the summer, but it is cooling down now, and that may be what I have for b'fast tomorrow morning. With a teaspoon of brown sugar and fresh strawberries. I am making myself hungry
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #23  
Lifeishort, Operaislong

Default New thread!

Yes! Nothing like a new thread to re-energize everyone, huh? Excellent! I'm not sure I have decided on my new challenge, but I think it will be something exercised based... it might be adding push-ups every day to my ab routine. I have several major auditions coming up, and the new dress I have is AWESOME, but sleeveless. If I could get my arms *SMOKIN'*, I would feel all the better in the auditions. I'll commit by tonight and post it here.

Mez - I am so happy you posted that comparison of emotional v physical hunger. I'm the kind of person that likes to break things down to specifics, and this might help me battle my night time feeding frenzies. Thanks!

Curly - Cereal is my worst trigger food of all time. For about a year, I did not bring any into the house. For the past month or so, I have been slowly working it back in. I'm very proud that I can control myself and only have one bowl a day. Oatmeal is also a danger food. ESPECIALLY because I eat it cold, just like other cold cereal. I just love the texture and flavor! I know, I'm such a weirdo. Oh, and congratulations on your weight loss!

Redballoon - No nuts? Are you nuts? For me they are a great substitute for chips or crackers when I want something salty and crunchy. I don't think I could go without. You are amazing.

To everyone else - great fresh starts! Go team!!
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #24  

My first day went very well. I ended at 1485. So I just hope I can keep it up. 1 day down 20 left to go. Good luck everyone.
crd43123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #25  
prepare for the BEST time

Sob!!!! I must take a break....my back spasms won't allow me to exercise, I could scream in pain if I sneeze....

SIGH, at least I got 8 days in...will try back after I heal.....

Vicodan makes me feel nauseated too....
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #26  

Whoa. Back to day one AGAIN. I'm having trouble getting started. You would think it would be easy to get a few days completed at least. Where's the motivation????
Seriously, I am having some trouble just getting through a day in regards to anything. I might even be border-line depressed and I need to pull myself up out of this hole. My husband travels alot this time of year and I always seem to fall apart right about now.....If I can at least get ONE aspect of my life back together the hole at least won't be so deep. I don't want to weigh y'all down with my stuff, but there it is and maybe you can help!!! Send some smilies!!
Thanks!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #27  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Red face hang in there Apple!!!

Hi, all! There was no time to write this morning before I left. Now I'm at work and can't manage more than a bit. I'm on Day 2 and plan to fly through it! Got to the gym for a bit this morning as well.

Apple, are you eating healthy food only? I am very sensitive to food and whatever goes in my body. I don't know what your life situation is like now and that could be a drag but you got to fortify yourself with good eating and exercise. Motivation or not, do as mez says, and go for determination. Don't ask too many questions, just try to do it. Also, you said you were trying to cut down on caffeine. This will cause depression. It sure did with me. It was really tough for about 6 months and my body probably didn't start to compenate on its own for a good year. I was dragging. But, I knew this was the reason and I would just sleep a lot instead of staying up and being pulled into dark thoughts. In any case, Apple, just get back on the challenge, start over, ANY number of days is better than none. Look at what you HAVE accomplished. Don't think about being down. Hang in there, kiddo! Keep your chin up!!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #28  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Check your challenge as well just to make sure it is not too daunting and complicated. I can't remember what your challenge was but maybe limit the challenge to just one thing instead of the multitude that many of us try to keep up with. Why do we women try to juggle so many things at once?

Keep hanging in there Apple. Pick something so simple you can do it standing on your head (getting exercise that way too!! and whatever, do not be too hard on yourself. You're going deeper into autumn (fall) and depending on where you live, the body may be slowing down for our longed for, but totally repressed hibernation.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:02 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Curlylocks – Yea that old fashion oats sticks with you to. It reminds me when I was a kid my mom always had a HUGE pot of it going in the winter mornings. Kept us warm on the walk to school.

Gray eyed girl – I haven’t got in week in. In a very long time! Going to do it this week!

Red – Wow that is one great challenge! LOL @ the strait jacket comment!

Lisa – you wore me out just reading what you did!! NICE JOB!! Want to come paint my kitchen?? Hehe

Fishwoman - YUM lasagna!!! It’s been toooooooo long…drool…

Chaps – wow your going really giving that body some toning I keep thinking I should ad abs to my challenge but then get lazy … your really inspiring me… now you add arms your awesome!!! I need to get busy with that stuff my bat wings are horrible! You sure are going to be *SMOKIN* going to keep some water by my monitor! Your very welcome I hope it helps you as much as it does me. I also keep it on a post note on my monitor I find I can munch a lot away while on this! Not good for half the time I forgot what I ate or that I just ate it!!! UGH!!

crd43123 – Yeah for you getting past that 1st day!!

marbleflys – I’m sorry to hear about your spasms! Take it easy and I’m sure you’ll be back at full speed in no time!!

Apple Blossom – Aww sorry to hear about you being in the dumps. The good thing is your not giving up keep going!! In the past 2 maybe 3 weeks I don’t know how many times I restarted. Sending lots and lots of happy smiles your way! 
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

Thanks, Red and Mez I feel better today, because I did so well. I just don't understand WHY the "oh, just this once" issue with emotional/impulsive eating is so hard to stop.

At least it tasted good. And now the craving is GONE.

Day 1 done again. I weighed myself this morning and the scale said 206! YUCK. I refuse to believe it. I ate a lot yesterday, but it wasn't 28,000 extra calories that I'd need to consume to gain 8 pounds overnight. Probably just water weight. Still, yuck. I hate seeing that 2 in front of my weight. I want to get away from 200, far enough away that even on water retention days I don't see that 2 any more.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote