Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #16  

Stilltrying-Thank you for the links. I clicked on and I think 1200-1400 seems to be a good goal. It's been a while since I counted calories, but these sites sure make it easier.
Sandisuze-It's ok to fall off. It's so good that you could get right back onto your plan.

Too bad about Atkins million dollar business
I felt bad when he died last year. All the money and success in the world and he slipped on the ice, banged his head and died. Shows how we have to appreciate the the good things we have cause it'a all so transient.
I never liked his diet tho. You eat like a pig and get bad breath from the ketones and when it's over you don't know how to eat like a regular person.
I am thinking about buying a scale tomorrow and weighing in once a week, but the number is going to be highest ever for me and I am scared that it will seem impossible.
Laura
LauraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #17  

Laura don't let it scare you-I did the same thing when I got on the scale and saw that I was 250lbs. That was the heaviest I had ever been and that is including the end of both of my pregnancies. What I have done is just mini goals in 10lb increments and just don't look at the big picture for that very reason. If I say I have to lose 138 which is how much total I need to lose, it just seems like too big of a number and not something I can ever attain. 10lbs though I can do. When I hit that first mini goal, I jumped for joy and now am getting close to my second mini goal. I also do something nice for myself whenever I hit one(non-food of course) and I enjoy it all the more because I feel I have "earned" it. You can do it and the whole group is here to go with you every pound of the way.
Melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I am back from the mountains and really feeling miserable...refreshed, relaxed, had a GREAT time with my family, but feel SO dehydrated, drained, and sick to the stomach for some reason. I know I didn't drink enough water, hardly any at all in fact, and way too much soda, which I am not used to anymore, so I HAVE to pump in the water to start feeling better. I'm afraid we picked up a bug or something because my little one is all congested and having trouble sleeping...started our last night there, and seems to have me today We spent a lot of our time in the kiddy swimming pool, so that might be where we got it...yes, I got into the pool with the kids lol my son kept falling out of every floating device we had, so I just stripped down and got in with him. Everyone else around me was fat or old as well, mostly, so I didn't mind lol

I am also very bloated from my monthly and feeling puffy and icky. I feel SICK...I'm going to bed I will be back in the morning, hopefully feeling better. I'm not goign to try to catch up on the messages for the past 4 days...hope everyone understands.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #19  

Melissa-Thanks for your good help.
I am getting ready to do the scale. I know it will help to keep track, but I am really scared of facing the dreaded number. The 10 pound method is a good idea and I will try to just weigh in once a week.
Today is one week since I joined this site and it's been such a great support.
Laura
Old 08-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #20  

Default Hellloooo

I guess we have hit our first lull ... and I know many are out on vacation and such this week...but where are the rest of us???

I feel so much better today, thanks to lots of water and a good night sleep. I'm not stepping on the scale until tomorrow though, I feel the bloating going away the more I drink

I am WAY behind my exercise schedule and want to catch up some miles. I'm planning to do 4 miles this morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 4 this evening while watching Big Brother. We'll see how much of the first two the kids actually allow me to get in. But water is my main priority today. I'm also sticking to 1500 calories a day and so haven't eaten anything yet. Everytime I go in the kitchen I don't see anything good enough to waste my calories on...does anyone else have this problem when counting calories? I guess I'll eventually get hungry enough to "waste" the calories? lol I have to go eat now, or I'll get TOO hungry and eat the entire kitchen.

Maybe others will be around here later Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #21  

Hey Laura! The 10 lb. goals are a great idea, it's what I"m doing as well. You can see mine below, I set my first at 8 lbs. just to get back to 250 which I swore would be my highest ever, I was so petrified when I saw that number...then suddenly went even higher and that was IT for me. So, my first little goal is to get back to 250, then I will take it in 10 lb. increments. I am tracking the larger goal, but focusing on the mini goals more.

Have you thought of tracking your measurements? That sometimes can be more gratifying than the scale...especially in the long run if you hit a plateau in the weight number.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #22  
I hate my scale

S/C/G: 173/165/130

good morning everyone!

well I feel UGH! no more bad foods it's not worth the day after hangover feeling. Back on the water. I probably got dehydrated yesterday driving around in 98 degree temps (heat index 105)made 8 stops and the heat just sucks it out of you..

Welcome back purplefirefly! I am glad your vacation was nice.

Laura B - nothing is impossible! I also find that 10 pounds looks easier than the big picture. hey I even babied my first goal down to 6 pounds. every day I don't eat bad , drink my water,exercise is a goal accomplished- just by joining this support group means you have taken steps to achieve your goals

Has anyone seen that show calorie commando on the food network? The chef takes foods/ meals that are normally "bad" for you and cuts the calories & fat down. I am making one of his dinners tonight and we'll see how well it goes over with the family. I found the www.foodnetwork.com site has some really good low cal/ lofat recipes. I don't want my family to get bored with chicken every night . 3FC's has good recipes too.
Have a great day ya'll and keep drinking that water!
sandisuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #23  

StillTrying - Hope your feet are feeling better today. I work at a school, too, but the kitchen at your school must be a lot better than ours. I just listen to what the kids have to say about it and it's easy to stay away! I usually have a WW or Lean Cuisine meal when I'm working. During the summer I usually have oatmeal or Fiber One and/or some kind of fruits and veggies.

Melissa - You're right...I feel like I got a great workout chasing my sister's kids yesterday. I even went to bed an hour and a half earlier than usual just because I was worn out from them. I had so much fun with them, though. It almost made me wish I had had another of my own. Almost. I don't think I could do it every day anymore! My teen and almost-teen keep me busy as it is.

LauraB - I have the same problem with sugar. What works for me is eating fruits that I really like to get my "sweet" fix. Pineapple, watermelon, and strawberries are my favorites. They make me feel more satisfied where cake and cookies just make me want more cake an cookies.

Sandisuze - Good for you wanting to get right back on track after a slip-up. One bad meal just a minor set back and it happens to everyone. Attitude is everything and you are doing the right thing by recognizing what happened and putting it behind you. Successful weight loss happens because of changes that take place ABOVE the neck first.

Purplefirefly - Welcome back from the mountains! Glad you are feeling better this morning. Good luck on the exercise goal today!

I know what you mean about not wanting to waste precious calories on something that doesn't look that good at the moment. This happened to me especially when I first started. I had to be really strict with myself about it because I had really bad sugar cravings and the only things I really wanted were NOT good for me. What helped me was planning ahead for eating the "right" things even if they weren't what I really wanted. Since I already had it planned in advance, I wouldn't really think about it that much when the time came that I'd rather have something else. It took a while, but now I crave the healthy things, and foods full of fat and sugar don't bother me because I know how they make me feel after I eat them. You are right to not let yourself get too hungry...that's never a good thing. One of the biggest things for me was learning to recognize when I was hungry and when I just wanted to eat for the heck of it. When I'm hungry, I eat something (something that's good for me) no matter what time of the day it is. That's one thing that's different about my weight loss this time. In the past I'd think I'd need to starve myself and be hungry all the time, never eat between meals and only eat little tiny bits at mealtime. This time, I never let myself stay hungry very long. Even if it's just a bowl of salad greens or baby carrots...I always have SOMETHING when I'm hungry.

I am thinking I will have to force myself to do an aerobics tape today. I really don't enjoy it but I didn't get my jog and walk in this morning because it was thundering, and now it's getting really hot already. So....it looks like aerobics it is. I am feeling fat and sluggish today because of TOM so I know it's really important that I get moving. I did a lot better yesterday with water but my fingers are still a little swollen today, so I'm trying to drink even more today.

Will check back in later...hope everyone has a great day!
KayElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #24  

Thanks for that link SandiSuze...I am always looking for recipes! I like to take fatty ones and make them healthy...have to still be tasty to pass the kids. Of course, looking good is better than taste, if it looks gross in any way they won't touch it! I'm going to check out foodnetwork and try to watch the show.

kayelle--you can do the aerobics, just don't think too much about it. Do it the very first chance you can, get it out of the way and pat yourself on the back. I find that if I put something off it just stays in my mind and sometimes I end up not doing it because it gets late, I'm tired...all those excuses. So, try to get it done ASAP and then forget about it!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #25  

StillTrying- I have inserts too, and my dr. suggested wearing for 4 hours the first day, and an hour more each day till you can wear them all day. Now I can't live without them even if it means wearing shoes that are not too beautiful. It's so nice not to have pain.
Purplefirefly- Be careful waiting too long to eat. When I do that I wind up eating everything in site.
KayElle- I had a mango this morning with breakfast. According to fitday.com it's 135 calories. Well worth it. Much better than cake or cookies or bread.

Last month I bought a bike. (a real one, the kind that goes on the road) I've only used it once so far. It was amazing that you really don't forget how, even after many years. I am still trying to figure out 21 gears. My son gave me a lesson and I understand it on principle. Now it's really time to get it out and do it. So tomorrow is weigh in day and bike day. This support really makes a difference. thanks
Laura
Old 08-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #26  

Well good morning everyone! I know of at least 2 people who are out of town this week but they will be back next week. Words cannot express how happy I am to have found both this site and all of you. I used to feel so alone in everything and now I feel like I have partners in this journey. I just wanted to thank all of you for being there for me and all of you who offer your hearts and sage advice.
melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #27  

Laura - My husband and I live right near a bike trail which is beautiful. Unfortunately, we never ride there anymore since having kids. When they're a little older, we can take family rides. Right now my 3 yo is too little to keep up with us, yet too big to ride in one of those trailers or on the back of one of our bikes. I could never figure out gears either. I saw an infomercial for a bike that automatically switches gears. Maybe when we embark on riding again, I'll get one of those. Unless of course, you want to give me a tutorial once you fiure yours out.

Kay - I was right there with you wih not wanting to exercise today. I found myself making one lame excuse after another until I finally just got up and started. Now that I am done, I feel much better. Tomorrow will probably be my day off from exercise since I have to take my son to physical therapy in the morning and I have a dress fitting appt in the evening.

Purple - glad you're feeling better. I always feel a little depressed after a vacation is over. I guess it is the "back to reality" aspect of life.

Baby crying ... more later.
jjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #28  

OK, back. That boy loves to eat!

Melissa - I am so glad we all joined together too. I guess it makes me feel more accountable. Will we be using the same email template tomorrow as we did last week?

Have a great day!
jjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #29  

Melissa--you're never alone...not with the internet around, at least! I notice we are about the same weight, so hang around and we'll be losing together
Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #30  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Hey ladies, it sounds like everyone is off to an amazing week this week! Congrats to all of you on your hard work and dedication... we'll all get there!

I've missed quite a few posts so I'm not going to try and play "catch-up"... just know that I'm really proud of all of you for your continued enthusiasm! And a really big thank you for the support you give each and every day!

As for me, I had an.... "interesting" weekend. I really battle with myself on how to get to my GW and having had an ED in the past, I'm doing all that I can to stay focussed that this is a process. I didn't become overweight overnight, so it's going to take more than that time to lose the lbs. I want to be healthy this time around. What good is it to be at your GW if you aren't healthy? So, I'm determined to do this the RIGHT way. Eat right. Exercise. I just get so ahead of myself from time to time. So like many of you, I'm going to set mini-goals at 10lb increments. It really is easier to see your successes. The big picture gets too frustrating.

I'm down another 1.5 this week so things are moving in the right direction at least!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote