Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #31  

I think we will use the same template as last week unless there is something anyone would like to add or remove. I was kind of "winging" it last week since it was the first one and of course I missed 3 people too and then just sent to them alone-argh newbies lol. I am always open to suggestions as I want to do one that is overall and can fit everyone. Glad to have some 'longtimers' too since I will be here awhile. Everyone keep up the awesome work! Remember we are works in progress-took most of us years to get where we are and now we are relearning and making amazing life changes!
melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Mel, I had an ED as well, which I gave up when I got pregnant with my first baby. I struggle not to go back to that every single day, but I have to keep my head straight and remind myself that being healthy is the goal really, not just being skinny. I look at my children and know that I would never want them to watch me with an ED. I don't want them to learn that kind of thing, and I don't want them to watch me go through it. They are my motivation and my strength to do this the right way. At first I was fighting hard and they were the ONLY reason I didn't go back to it...now that I have the exercise down and found some things I enjoy doing, it's not so much of a struggle. Once I saw that I don't need the ED to lose weight, that I CAN do it without that, then it got so much easier. I don't think about the bad things on a daily basis anymore, it's just when I"m in a store and my cart slows at certain sections...I have to remind myself I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it.

How you deal with it and when you struggle will depend on what kind of ED you had I guess, but though knowing you're not alone here might help you. It sure is hard, just like recovering alcoholics or any other addiction. It's been four years since I lived with the ED, so it is a lot easier now. I am just so thankful my daughter came along because she was a surprise, a huge shock, and I gave it up for her to be healthy. Without her coming along, who knows where I would be today with the ED.

Theresa
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #33  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Theresa, thank you for your words of encouragement and for your honesty. It does help to know that I'm not alone in this. More than anything, I want my daughter to grow up accepting her body for what it is, that's something I have never been able to do... but am striving for each day.

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #34  

I did it! Thanks for the exercise encouragement this morning...I really needed it. This group was such a good find for me. Normally if I don't do some kind of exercise right away when I wake up, my day is pretty much screwed up from there. Instead, today I did a short 20 min. aerobic workout and afterwards I felt so much better that I got on the stationary bike for 40 min. I am so pleased to have gotten that out of the way.
KayElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #35  

Just checking in!

AAAKKKKK Birthdays - they'll eventually kill ya (lol)! Anyway, my birthday is the 3rd and the cakes have already started arriving at the door. So THAT was my weekend, and then yesterday became TOM, so it was 2 small bags of peanut M&M's.....

But, okay, I DID take my first mile hike in the woods on Sunday - first after being off the wagon for so long. I am afraid to get on the scale for tomorrow's weigh in because of TOM, but I will just have to face up to it along with everyone else. My family is tryiong to help me organize fun walks in places that are nearby so it's not just lapping aorund the track.

I have to tell you that my Core Effects workout ball and tapes arrived and I am too scared to try them. Isn't that DUMB????? I am afraid that I won;t be able to do it and I haven't even tried yet!!!! Yikes! What a nutjob!

Radiodoll
radiodoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #36  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

Smile

Hello! I'm hoping it's not too late too join this thread--it seems like I'm always finding new things on these forums to get excited about!

This week, I want to get in 4 days of cardio and do at least 3 pilates workouts. I also want to avoid all the goodies that people keep bringing in to work--the chocolate cake is almost gone, thank goodness and i didn't have any!

A little about me: I am 31 and very happily married with a 7 year old daughter. Not too long ago, I came across one of those "things to do before you die" lists, so i made one for myself. I realized that many of the things on my list depend on me being in good enough shape to do them, so here I am!
melra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #37  

Welcome melra...I'm sure no one will mind you joining, the more the merrier!

Radiodoll--GET ON THE BALL!!! You will never know if you can do it or not until you try, and I bet you will surprise yourself in the end. There is probably an introduction video of some sort, find it and start there. I'm sure it will ease your mind.

Theresa
Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #38  

Happy Birthday tommorow, radiodoll! Purplefirefly is right about the ball...if you don't try it you'll never know. So what if you can't do it at first?? Keep at it and you'll be able to do it in no time!

Hi and welcome, melra!
KayElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #39  

Happy birthday radiodoll! I will be getting ready to send out the email here shortly so if you haven't been added, please PM your email to me. Don't want to miss anyone who wants to be on the list. Even if you don't weigh in, please check in with us by hitting reply to all and you can state on there that it isn't time yet for your weigh in. Has anyone else found they are more productive since they started eating right? Even with the cooking I am doing now, I am finding that so much more is getting done in the day and another interesting thing is that I am finding that I am not sleeping as much. Even the other night when I was up really late, I was awake by 7a and didn't feel oogy like I should have. Ok enough babbling from me. Need to get the girls in the tub-they are grubby!
Melissa
Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 306/294/170

Happy birthday radiodoll! Get on the damn ball, my friend! I am soooooooooo interested to see if you enjoy core effects, I have been wanting to buy it for ages. Everyone I know says it is really fun, so I bet you'll enjoy it (and if you don't I'll buy it from you .)

KayElle - I'm so proud of you for going out and exercising. I think it was great that you started with just 20 minutes and then found yourself doing more!

Welcome Melra.

I'm okay today. Still feeling moody and headachey. But I'm eating well. I forgot to enough water today, so I'm going to try to get it all in now.

melissa, thanks for sending out the weds. email. I'm looking forward to it.

I actually was wondering. Those of you who are mothers or taking care of others and also had weight issues before the children. How is this struggle different for you as a mom? How may it be harder or easier or just different? I just find myself thinking that as I read your posts and I thought it'd be an interesting question (now that I'm writing it, I feel all you moms are going to roll your eyes and say, isn't it obvious how it's different?!) But, I guess I wondering if there are any non-obvious ways.

Okay, off to drink a gallon of water.
uncovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #41  

One of the things I had to change was what the kids snack on-I love them too much and it doesn't matter what it is if I am feeling desperate enough. I don't even buy crackers anymore. They snack on Kix or Cheerios now or fresh fruit. The only one who has balked is my son who is 9 but as of tonight he had some dry cereal along with the girls-lol. I do have one advantage being single-there is no man who won't eat it cause it is "diet food". (all men aren't like that-just talking about my ex) I went through that alot when I was married. He griped about everything I cooked but I really think he was trying to make me stay fat and give up. And it worked too-got so tired of it and the fact he was always bringing in junk food or my favorites-just got to be too much-but that problem is gone now lol. I also cut out Micky D's although they still have to tell me everytime we drive by one-I think they think I forgot where it is.
Melissa
Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #42  

Reasons I wanted to lose weight before motherhood:
1. To fit into smaller jeans.
2. To attract men.
3. To look better than my friends, or just keep up with some of them.
4. To boost my own confidence and feel better about myself.
NOTICE: It was all about ME back then.

Reasons I want to lose weight now that I have children:
1. To model healthy lifestyle to them so hopefully they will not go through what I have.
2. So they will not have the "fat mom" and feel embarrassed of me.
3. Children live what they learn and I want them to learn the right things, not the wrong.
4. So I will live a long life and be here to see them marry, have children, graduate from college, and do whatever else they grow up to achieve.
5. So I can run through the yard with my grandchildren and enjoy them just as much as I am my children now.
6. So I can keep up with them as they get into sports, dance, or whatever else they might get interested in as they start school...and I start running them everywhere they need to go!
NOTICE: It is all about THEM now.

Motherhood makes you grow up real quick. You have to be the one in charge, the responsible one who keeps everyone safe and happy. They are looking up to me and I want them to see a happy, healthy, vibrant woman who is strong and in control of her life. That's what I want my daughter to be when she gets bigger, so it's what I have to model for her now.

I still want to fit smaller jeans and to look better, but my main focus has shifted from myself to my children and the future of my family. This is urgent and absolutely necessary now, it's no longer just a wish to be thin. I don't want to just be thin anymore, I want to be healthy and happy with myself.

Theresa
Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 PM   #43  

Uncovering--thank you for posting that question about motherhood. It is just what I needed to remind myself of tonight. I am have found another problem of mine that I will have to work to avoid in the future--not wanting to go to the grocery store and letting the food wind down to near nothing!!!! I can't do this anymore. Tonight, we were all starving and there was like NOTHING to eat in here, so we hit Taco Bell because it's right around the corner. I feel MISERABLE and icky and stuffed and FAT.

It would have taken just a few extra minutes to drive to the store instead and buy something healthy for supper, but I took the easy route because the kids were fussing and hubby was due home and I was so hungry I had a migraine and needed to get something in my tummy. Now I totally regret it.

But, I always crave Taco Bell during my TOM, and that is part of it. I also had the bad mood and was just a ragging grouch today...yes, I meant ragging not raging lol

So, I feel miserable but you have reminded me of why I am making the healthier choices and why I have to get up tomorrow and get right back on track. I will not let this set me back...I won't!!!

The good thing is my son doesn't like Taco Bell and my daughter decided she didn't want it tonight, so they ended up eating sandwhiches...funny how I found something else for them but couldn't do that when I wanted Taco Bell I am really ticked at myself.

Theresa
Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #44  
a whole new mel

Today was good. I upped my cals since they were a little too low and I feel like I've been eating all day when I really haven't been. Water is right on target (3L) and I got in a 6mi walk tonight! Will WI again tomorrow on the off-chance that I've lost another 1/2lb.

Theresa... Don't worry one bit about the Taco Bell incident. We all have slip-ups, the important thing is to get right back OP! And it sounds like you're doing just that! Good work!

Melissa... Thanks for all the work you put into the weekly email! It's a great motivator! Good work getting the kids to eat healthy... that isn't always easy! My daughter pretty well lives off of salad, raw celery and cucumber, peanut butter sandwiches and chicken soup. She's pretty picky but at least I can get vegetables into her... so long as they aren't cooked. Fruit, well, that's not always as easy.

Uncovering... That's a great question you asked! I think for me, it's more of a focus to eat right now that I have a daughter to worry about as well. I grew up eating fairly healthy (always had to finish our veggies!) but it was once I was on my own that things started to slip. But then again, fast food wasn't as eagerly pushed on the public 20-25yrs ago. It was more of a treat. Nowadays though, it's an every day occurance for some ppl. And often, of course, there just isn't time to get a hot, healthy meal on the table. I'm working hard to banish fast food from our lives permanently. So... did you get all your water in?

melra... Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you along the way! Great job getting all that exercise in!

Radiodoll... I hope you have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I agree with everyone else, just get on that darn ball! Give it a-go! It may be tough at first, but most things are. It wouldn't be exercise, unfortunately, if it was easy! Let us know how it goes, will you?

KayElle... WOW! That's definitely a good deal of exercise for one day! You must be very proud of yourself! Keep up the amazing work and you'll be there before you know it!

Everyone else... a great big

I hope you all have a great night... well, whatever is left of it! I look forward to seeing all your weekly results tomorrow! Take care of yourselves! Type you later....

~mel
Old 08-03-2005, 01:09 AM   #45  
a whole new mel

Thought for the day:

To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds