Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #136  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Lori, sweetie - I was on my period last week, which I think accounted for the BIG loss this week..... I bet you'll have a nice loss next week!! Don't get discouraged! (although I completely understand -- I told DH last night that I was gonna be pissed if I hadn't lost anything....)

I can FEEL the loss, though... when I look in the mirror, I LOOK thinner and my clothes are fitting a little better.... I figured maybe it was just head games I was playing with myself, but I guess not - hehe.

Big *HUGS* to you all!
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #137  

Shawn!
What a great day for you!!

Lori and Kellie
1 and 2 pounds losses are nothing to sneeze at. You should be very pround of yourselves. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!

Lori, try not to get too obsessed with goal dates. It is certainly fine to have one in mind because it nice to have something to shoot for. But if you don't build in some flexiblity for yourself this will be a much harder journey than it has to be. Keep in mind that it is your long term goal that really counts and as long as you get there it doesn't matter how long it takes you. Don't feel bad about having to make adjustments to your short term goals along the way -we all have to do that at sometime or another. Sometimes, if I see that I am not going to make the date that I've set for myself I'll just change my goal all together. For instance, if I realize that I can't lose the whole 2 pounds I'll change course in the middle of the week and make my goal to exercise and extra 2 times than what I had planned. Something like that is a goal that I have 100% control over. Unfortuantely, we don't have that control over our bodies. Goals should be something that make you feel good about your progress - but nothing says that progress HAS to be scale related. Of course, I know that is easier said than done! (My mom used to always tell us, "do as I say, not as I do." - this is that kind of advice! )

Jane, are you fanatic about weighing and measuring all of your foods? One of the first attempts I made to lose weight I didn't see the results that I expected. At my highest weight (214) I knew that just cutting out all of the Coke I drank should have made at least SOME difference. But, I was eyeballing most of my food. I used measuring cups for liquids and things like cereal but meat and such I guessed at and cut back from what I usually ate. Someone suggested I buy a food scale. Well, as soon as I started using one I realized that I had been eating a lot more calories than I thought. It made all of the difference for me. Like the others have said, using fitday or fitwatch can be an invaluable tool. There are lots of calorie calculators on the web - the JimKaras one is good. Just be aware that there are lots and lots of different formulas out there. All of them work for SOME people but none of them work for ALL people-there are just too many variables by person. Be prepared to go through a little trial and error before you finally land on the calorie/activity level that works for you AND that you can live with. You may be able to lose weight on 2500 calories a day if you exercise like crazy every day - but if you can't keep up the activity it isn't going to work over the long haul. On the other hand, you may be able to lose weight on 1200 calories a day with no exercise at all - but if you are hungry all of the time and can't maintain that calorie level long term then that isn't going to work either. All of us have a happy medium that is specific to us. You just have to put a little effort into finding where yours is.

I weighed Monday and have gone from 164 to 166.8 and there was no change yesterday. BUT-I have been working out quite a bit and have significantly increased my weight training (intensity and resistence) in the past few weeks so I feel certain that I've still lost fat and just gained muscle. My clothes are still getting looser and I have been right on track caloriewise so it is impossible that I've actually gained FAT. It will be time to have my measurements taken in another week or so (17th, I think) and I expect to see my progress there. I'll share them with you as soon as I have them taken.

Okay, DH earned his orange belt in karate. They had the award ceremony last night and he was so excited. This morning at breakfast he asked if we could have a "special celebration dinner" that HE got to choose. I ask what he wants and tell him I'll make anything he asks for. He thinks and thinks. He decides that the fanicest, most elaborate dinner that would the best reward ever is .....

hot dogs and pasta salad

I guess I should enjoy how easy they are to please while I can. So, tonight we'll eat in the dining room on a formal table one of the least formal meals known to man. Oh, well, as long as it is special to him that is all that matters!

Congraulations again to all of you on your loses, and better luck next time to the rest of us. Have a great afternoon everybody!

Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #138  
Staying on track!!

Tricia - did you mean DH or DS? LOL
Old 04-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #139  

Oh, good gracious - DS! I knew I should have previewed post! lol

(Although, DH was surprisingly okay with the idea of Hot Dogs for dinner).
Old 04-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #140  

Well, what do you know. I stepped on the scale on a whim and it says 164 again. Plus, it shows my body fat percentage down by 1 percentage point. I don't put a lot of stock in the fat percentage because so many variables can affect the result. But, if it is lower who am I to argue? LOL. I am hopeful that the coming week will see my weight drop by a lb. or so.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #141  
Staying on track!!

Well today was kind of a mess-up day, since I weighed so good today... LOL

I had: 3 (yes THREE) Weight watchers ice cream sandwiches, and a burger & fries (homemade) for dinner with miracle whip; my cals still came in at only 1900, though, so I guess that's fine..... I know I gotta quit eating so many ice cream sandwiches, though!!!! LOL

tomorrow I'll focus on lots of fruits and water!!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #142  

Shawn, losing weight is all about the calories so what you had today is fine. Now, of course, if you have other concerns (high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc.) that is another story. But if your only goal is to lose weight it is calories in vs. calories out.

I completely sympathize with you having 3 ice cream sandwiches. The skinny cow ones I've been buying come 6 to a pack - there are 5 in my family. I feel like a protective momma bear watching out for her cubs. If one more person tries to take one they are going to draw back a nub! I suppose I'll just have to start buying them two packages at a time. One for me, one for them. LOL.

I am just a little over 1300 calories so far today. I'm not hungry but there is this trick that my mind plays on me. A voice whispers, "you've got 200 calories left, 200 calories - go eat them." So at 8:00 it is a little early to proclaim that I will end the day with that few. I'll try, though.

Good night all,
Tricia
Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #143  

Shawn ~ I bought the giant ice cream cups from weight watchers. They did not have the skinny cow ones at the store I was at. They are ok. Not a great ice cream flavor, but not bad. I think I like the Hi Lite ice cream better. More fat in it, but not too much more in calories.

Tricia ~ I have that same voice in my head too. I will think....hmmm, I have some room to have a little snack...should I?! Isn't i amazing what we do and how we can talk ourselves into/out of anything!

Well, my day was pretty good. Right now I have about 1100 calories. Not too bad considering the most calories came from those stupid sandwich cookies I bought the girls. We did some running this morning and they were so good. So when I was picking up cereal bars and such, they saw cookies. They kept saying cookies and pointing to them. So I bought them some. Darned if I did not eat 3!! Not all at the same time though, which is a big step for me!

Well, I am off to have a little snack (maybe). Have a great night!
KellieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #144  

Good morning! I got up and took the dogs for a walk this morning. It was cool, but great to be outside by myself! Our one dog, a husky, was huffing and puffing by the time we got home. We just walked around our subdivision so I don't know how far exactly. I should get a pedometer. And, I did not go and have a snack last night. So, I feel as those I am starting off well!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Kellie
KellieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #145  

Um...Good morning ladies (*guilty look*)

I sort of had a bad day yesterday. I think it was mainly because of TOM. I just crave fat and chocolate during this time. Anyway, I ended up somewhere between 1800-2000 calories. My main problem is that my fat percentage was around 37%. Anyway, I am going to do much better today.

Tricia--thanks for the reminder that it is not pounds that matter but clothes and what not. It is hard for me, because I am working under a time crunch. I want to lose this weight before I start trying to get pregnant again (this summer). I am pretty sure that I am not going to get to my goal by then. Maybe I should adjust my goal? Maybe 145 by the time I get pregnant. Sheesh! I should be happy with that. I weighed 182 when I got pregnant with number four! 145 would be almost 40 pounds lighter. I can work really hard to not gain too much while I'm preggo, too. Anyway, thank you. I do feel much better and my clothes are fitting much better. In fact, I think I had anticipated a good weight loss week BECAUSE I had a "clothes jump." Do you know what I mean? Suddenly I fit in some stuff that had been a tad too tight a few weeks ago. I'm assuming that means that I've gained some more muscle.

Okay, I'm going to come back later and post some more, but I've got to run. I am teaching the twin's co-op preschool today and I need to clean the bathroom before all those cute kiddies come.

Gotta go!

Lori
busymom2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #146  

Sorry I have been MIA the last few days...I have still been walking 1 1/2 - 2 miles every morning and then some evening I will walk another mile. I need to add something more to it though. Maybe some workout w/ my tapes that I have!!

I am doing better on the eating, but not where I need to be!!

GREAT Job on all with the weight loss.

I have not seen any loss yet!! I don't know if I weighed wrong to begin w/ or not. My scales are the old non digital ones, that weigh different everytime. I need digital ones!!

I love reading all the eating tips.

SHAWN..I love ice cream sandwiches as well.. I bought a box of the mini ones for the kids and every now and then I will eat one..The are so tiny about 2 bites and they are gone, but it helps w/the craving!!

I will try to do better about staying up w/ everyone
Pammie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #147  

Lori, I had forgotten that you said you planned to get pregnant again soon. Given that, I would definately revisit my goal if I were you. You don't necessarily need a thin body for pregnancy but you do want a strong, healthy one to decrease the chance of any complications and discomfort. Having a good strong back is always a plus so maybe some (or more) strength training would be in order? You could focus more on exercise and healthy foods than the number on the scale. You are sure to still lose weight that way and losing weight after your preganancy will be much easier.

Of course, I am no doctor. But those are some things that I wish I had done BEFORE I got pregnant.

Now, don't ask me why I keep doing this but I stepped on the scale again this morning. I am down to 161.4 - YEA! I've weighed a couple of times since then just to make sure it isn't a scale fluke. Plus, when I started back in January, my body fat percentage was 42 - it is down to 34 now. Needless to say I am feeling very motivated today!

I am off to make my grocery list. I dread the trip because we are out of all the basic stuff - flour, sugar, ketchup, mustard, etc. This happens once every couple of months for me and I always hate it - it takes so long.

You all have a great day!

Tricia
Old 04-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #148  

Hi again.
Today is going pretty well. I am hoping to keep my calories between 1000-1200 to make up for my blown day yesterday. So far I've only had about 300 so I'm doing well. I will just snack on carrots and pretzels. What I am going to do is plot out all my food for today and try to just stick with the things I put on the list. Maybe I'll stay on track that way.

Tricia-Thank you again. I really appreciated your second post. I've been thinking about it and...you're right! I need to get goals of weight training and calorie counting and try to get strong and healthy. I ALWAYS have TERRIBLE back aches when I'm pregnant. However, I've never exercised while I was pregnant, so hopefully I can have a better pregnancy this time. I really need to step up the strength training. I am going to readjust my goals. I want to do the treadmill 6x's a week for at least 45-90 minutes each time. I want to do one of my The Firm strength training videos 3x's a week in addition. I also want to stay between 1100-1600 calories daily. I just can't seem to go without a weight goal as well so...I want to be around 145-148 when I get pregnant. I will never make 130 by then and I will be so disappointed trying. That leaves me with 3 1/2 months to lose 18 pounds. That is only a little over a pound a week. Shouldn't be too hard. If I keep up my average (not counting the first month when I lost a ton more than the other months) I would lose 24 pounds by then. I think 18 should be pretty do-able. I will increase my exercise and just not worry too much if the scale isn't changing drastically.

That said, I will change my Mother's Day goal. I wanted to hit 160 by then, but I'm not going to make it. Instead, I would like to hit 162.5. There...I feel better.

Pam--Great to see you again! Good work with the exercise. I finally went and bought a digital scale a month or so ago. It helps. I was uncertain of weighing myself correctly the first time too. I wish I'd done it differently. I thought that I weighed 195, but I think it was probably more like 192-193. Anyway, are you keeping track of what you eat? It's best to start there. Sometimes if we don't dive in headfirst, we don't get any change. It's tough, but you can do it!!!

Kellie-sounds like you are doing an amazing job! Keep it up. It is so hard to resist those little treats, isn't it? I have a big bag of M&M's in the pantry right now taunting me, lol. I try to not have any treats in the house, but sometimes I do.

Ugh. The kids are having a crisis. I'd better go.

Lori
Old 04-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #149  

Just had to share:

I was being a good girl and working out on the treadmill. I had just finished when the twins (with baby sister in tow) came sauntering into the room. Now...you've got to have a little background. My twins have amazing hair. They have dark (nearly black), curly LONG hair. They are only three, but their hair nearly reaches their waists (they don't have bangs, it is all grown out). It is so beautiful. They have gorgeous blue eyes just to complete the package (then there's me with my dishwater blond hair and green eyes. *shrug* They look like their dad). ANYWAY, my mischevious twin, Hannah, is EXTREMELY into fashion. Don't ask where she gets it from, lol. I barely shower. She, however, is the type that won't go anywhere unless her hair is perfect and she has just the right outfit on ('Moooommmmmmyyyyyyyyy, they will laugh at me in this outfit!" Meanwhile, I'm wearing no makeup and sweats. sigh). Lizzie doesn't really care that much. So, they walk in and one of the twins has CUT OFF ALL HER HAIR!!!!! No big surprise...it's Hannah. She now has chin length hair. She even cut bangs!!!! I am shocked. Her dad is going to DIE. He LOVES their hair. You know, she actually did a pretty good job, lol. Probably better than I would have done (by the way, she can apply makeup and toe polish PERFECTLY...not that I TRY to let her, lol. She is just so darn sneaky. My husband actually bought a LOCK for my makeup bag Hopefully she won't learn the code). So...forget everything I said about not being able to tell the two apart, lol. Lizzie is now crying like crazy that she wants her hair cut too. I hate to part with her gorgeous hair. Sigh. HELP!

Lori
Old 04-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #150  

Lori, both my sons have taken the scissors to their own hair before. And my oldest son has used them on my daughter and me. It grows back! Anyway, we were sitting on the floor and playing when he asked if we could play barber shop. Sure I say and think he is back there pretening to cut with his fingers. When my niece walks in (she was spending the night) and says, "Why is Will cutting you hair?" I don't know where the scissors came from but I reached back and, sure enough, he had CHOPPED my hair. I scooped it all up and put it in a zip lock bag. That was a couple of years ago and they all still ask me to pull it out and show it to them and tell them the story. They think it is hilarious!

Tricia