Old 03-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #106  

Hey ladies.

Going well so far. Real busy, so will try to post super quick.
Ang- I am not usually hungry. Veggies are 'free' or zero points, so I fill up on them at meals. I have slowed down how I eat, instead of scarfing, really taking my time. Lots of water, and snacks are back in the picture. If you go low fat foods, your points don't get outta hand.

-Have fun over the holidays, I hope you are able to enjoy time spent with family and that everything doesn't weigh you down too much. Keep moving ahead.

-Mette- Get better dangit! Have you seen a doc about your longstanding cold? You're totally right, it's impossible to worry about eating and exercising right when you are not feeling at least 90% in working order.

Last weigh in showed that I am still losing, but only 1.6lbs - which I must remember myself, is a GOOD AMOUNT OF WEIGHT LOSS FOR 1 WEEK. I cannot think that I will lose 3-4lbs a week, that isn't realistic, and may not even be healthy. Slow and steady. Like the turtle. So total for 3 weeks is 9.4 - I am pretty proud of that. I am getting scared about reaching my goal weight, as it is creeping closer.

I am thinking between 130-135. Which is 15-20lbs away roughly. I am afraid I will get to where I need to be, and still not like how I look. My legs still look chunky, my shoulders and back have chub and my belly a pooch. I suppose 20lbs could whiddle these last areas away, but I am not very hopeful.

Anyway, thats me in a nutshell. Have a great, safe, happy, healthy weekend!
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #107  
Persistent and Stubborn

Renee - it really seems like you have this eating thing down. Congratulations. I'm working on mine. I'm pretty good with breakfast and lunch but evenings are still tough. I am also addicted to chocolate, which isn't good for the waistline.

Are you still exercising, Renee? Did you up your aerobic activity like you planned? We're finally starting to see the sun so I'm hoping to get outside more. Yesterday bf trimmed a big pine tree in my yard. I helped move limbs and such for two hours. It was definitely a workout and felt really good. I even felt a little sore today - good feeling. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy though so probably no walk at lunch.

1.6lbs is awesome, especially so close to your target. Renee - what scares you about reaching your goal weight? Is it just that 130 might not be accurate? There is nothing magic about 130-135. As you lose weight just be realistic about how you look. Your goal weight should be where you are healthy and happy about your body. Just keep doing what you are doing and as you lose you can keep evaluating your situation. You're doing great right now and that's what matters. Don't worry about the scale or try to guess where the finish line is. You need to be healthy forever.

mette - how are you feeling? I hope you were able to get some much needed rest this weekend and get healthier.

I had a pretty good weekend. I spent time with bf, cleaned my house some, went shopping with a new friend and bought a couple of blouses and found out that my farm isn't going to be available this year. oh well...I'm going to do a big garden in my backyard instead. It won't be quite as big but I'm hoping for a couple of hundred plants. It should be enough to have some fun and eat some good veggies. The only sad thing about the weekend was that I HAD to buy new clothes for the spring because the ones from last year won't fit comfortably. I hated buying XL again after buying M and L 2 years ago. I am really trying to eat better but it doesn't always work. Thanks for your continued support though. You are inspirations.

Happy Monday to all!
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #108  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hi Everybody.

Where are you? Are you off in the sun having fun?

Things here are about the same. I am struggling to finish a paper due next Tuesday (behind because of being away for 2 weeks) but otherwise things are ok at work. My brother is stressing me out a little about family stuff but I'll deal with it. I'm going to visit this weekend for Easter/nephew's birthday so I'll get caught up on what is happening.

mette, are you feeling better yet? Is this your week off or is it next week?

Renee - how is work? Did you have a fun weekend? Any decision about the riding vacation yet?

Jessica - are you still out there? I hope you are doing well.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #109  

Work has been really crappy this week girls. My weigh in yesterday was even LESS of a loss, only .8 of a pound. I am so afraid I am doing something 'wrong' to make me not lose as well.

Scary part of 130 - is that at 150 I look at myself and go god, so fat and ugly. What will another 20lbs do, honestly? That is the part the scares me. I want to look good, no matter what number on the scale. But I don't think I can get below 130. Never have been able to.

Too crazy at work to do any planning of other things. Weather here still really sucks. Had flurries again today. Definitely need to move. Hee.

So much to stress over. I'll try and check in tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 AM   #110  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi guys - I’m back now. I have this week off, and have been off visiting friends for a few days. It wasn’t the best of visits, since I’m still not completely well. But I am slowly getting there I think – and for this week I’m planning on sleeping, reading fiction (nothing related to work/studying), and catching up on my (neglected) TV watching ( ). The worst thing about the last month has been the complete lack of energy. Very tiring. For today, my plan is to catch up on the second season of Arrested Development! I love that show! Do you guys watch it?

Ang – this family stuff that is dragging your days down – is it grieving for your mother you mean? To compartmentalize difficult stuff is a very good way to get through bad stuff in my book! I use it a lot too. Are you going down to see your family tomorrow?
And how is your foot doing? Do you still think it’s broken? You really should check it out if you still think it is of course!
It sounds like your weekend was wonderful; good luck on your big garden this year! Does it mean that you and the ex won’t have the farm-project together this year?

I totally know what you mean about buying bigger clothes, Ang! It really is a sad thing to do, but just as you say: you need to concentrate on the here and now. And what you can do to make your life better today.
My whole losing weight plan for March got completely sidetracked, and by now it’s almost April and I still haven’t gotten my energy back. There’s no way I’m able to get that “starter high” from organizing eating, work-out plans, calories, and weight loss right now. I need to get back my energy first, and I’m hoping this Easter will do the trick. It’s not as if the weight is going anywhere on its own! (sorry to say!)
And good luck on your paper: What is it about?

Renee – it’s so good to hear about your weight loss; it’s very inspiring. It’s also excellent that you’re still losing weight every week. I’m amazed that you still haven’t had any weeks without weight loss! And you do, rationally, know that it will not be the end of the world if it happens, right?
Maybe you should think a little about how you can relax more – and maybe enjoy the journey toward your goal a little too. You will reach your goal, no doubt about that, but it does sound like you’re a little stressed about reaching it right now.
First of all: It *does* take some time for your body to adjust to a big weight loss. But after you’ve reached goal and you continue to exercise (lifting weights to build muscles, doing cardio, playing, riding, softball, etc) while maintaining your new weight, your body will adjust and continue to change.
Secondly: you are losing weight fast, and your body is probably changing much faster than your mind is right now. This is why time is so important: give it a couple of months and you will see yourself differently. Not only will your mind catch up with your weight loss, you will also look at your body from a point of view where you’re not completely stressed out. When we’re in ‘diet-mode’ we’re always under a lot of stress – and it definitely tricks us in to seeing ourselves and the world around us differently too. It colors what we see.
You will be fine, Renee – you just need to allow yourself some time!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #111  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default Say No to 9 to 5 jobs. Yuck.

Where does the time go? I was away with family for the holiday weekend. I would much rather have been home but I'm not ready to turn my back on my family. I can't wait until my father is better so maybe we can get back to some normalcy. My biggest stress this minute is writing a conference paper that was supposed to be done by today. Not going to happen. I'm trying, which is why I haven't had time for the internet (I'm making a few minutes today.). It is on age and gender effects of the biomechanics at heel contact during slips not leading to a fall. Not so thrilling but...

How were your holidays?

Renee - has work gotten any better? What was wrong last week? Congratulations on losing the 0.8 pounds! I know it is frustrating you and maybe a little disappointing, but I think you are doing great. You are losing and that is the bottomline. As you get closer to your goal weight you are going to lose slower. It's how the body works. Try to hang in there and just keep doing what you are doing. Maybe increase your activity a little if you can now that the weather is improving. I know it is easier said than done, but try to focus on the good habits you are picking up and less on the number on the scale.

mette - it's good to have you back. I'm glad you have good plans for your vacation. I hope you start to get your energy back. If you don't, maybe you need to check you vitamin and mineral intake. I know a few people who have been diagnosed with anemia and taking iron has really helped their energy (B12 too I think).

I don't watch Arrested Development. Are DVDs of the first season available or do you tape them? I find I don't have too much time to get too involved in any particular shows - I just end up missing too many episodes and getting lost. Maybe I should get TiVo or something. Do any of you have it or a DVR?

I have been missing my mother and at times it really makes me sad. I am also having problems relating with my brothers and father now that she is gone. We didn't talk much at all while she was alive and now it falls on me to call them and pull conversation out of them. I don't talk about my feelings much and get a little uncomfortable when my aunt and other family members start talking about my mother. Maybe I need to go back to therapy a little to talk through my feelings instead of hiding them in chocolate.

I don't think my foot is broken but something is wrong and it is taking a long time to heal. I did run on it Saturday morning. I was so out of shape. The foot held up and it is mostly just sore depending on what I do with it and what I am wearing on my feet. I'm babying it a little and just giving it the time it needs. I see progress so I'm not going to the doctor yet.

I'm pretty excited about my house and the garden out back. Painting is continuing inside at a faster pace and it looks so much better. I will not be gardening with ex this year. New bf very happy about that and ex sulking a little but too bad. He might not do it now if he is alone since he can't do all the work himself. Oh well. This set up is so much healthier for me.

mette - I really hope you do get your energy back soon. You're right though - your weight isn't going anywhere but you need to take care of yourself right now. April is a new month.

Take care ladies and try to enjoy something today.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #112  
maintaining

I’ve lost track of the time too! My weekdays just disappear! The best chance to spend time on the net these days seems to be during the weekend.
How did your conference paper go, Ang? Did you finish? And this “…age and gender effects of the biomechanics at heel contact during slips not leading to a fall” – what are your conclusions? Are you measuring which groups (young/old, females/males) have *more* heel contact or their *type of* heel contact? And isn’t the really interesting question: who falls down most often – men or women?

Renee – hope you’re doing well.
Jessica – you too! Are you coming back to talk to us soon?

I’m doing better; I think my energy is slowly coming back too. Better weather is helping, and also sleeping more.

Ang, I don’t have many TV-shows I watch and tape – but Arrested Development is one of them – it’s really, really funny. I think it’s out on DVD (at least the first season) so I recommend that you rent it if you get the chance. Short episodes, good actors, great lines and extremely funny! It’s the most dysfunctional family I’ve seen in a while, and it’s always a relief to find families worse than my own!

It’s sad, but very understandably, that you’re missing your mother, Ang. I’m also sorry you’re struggling with your relationships with your father and brothers. What would happen if you stopped taking responsibility for the relationships and not do all the work, do you think?
And it’s hard to give advice about these things, but personally I love to be back in therapy. At least I talk seriously about important stuff once a week now. It makes me feel more grounded and present somehow.
And yes: talking about feelings is better than covering them up in chocolate!

Good for you that you went out running! And so great to hear that you’re excited about your house and garden! I hope you’ll have an enjoyable summer with your garden project!

I’m off again – I’ll write more this weekend. Hope your writing went well, Ang.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:49 PM   #113  
Persistent and Stubborn

mette - Are you enjoying work again? Sometimes busy is good if it's not too stressful. Are you making some time for yourself?

Renee - how is your week going?

I finally finished my paper. I'm not happy with it or the fact that I have to make a presentation on it in June but for now I'll take the progress. Unfortunately going to conferences is part of my job that I can't afford to skip right now since I'm relatively new. I was looking at velocity of the heel, foot angle, etc. There weren't too many differences between men and women. Basically women have a harder time with the faster walking speeds, probably because of shorter legs. In the work force men fall more than women!

I've been watching Sex and the City on TBS. It's entertaining. I'll look for the Arrested Development though. Lately I've been watching movies from my library. That don't have too many so I'm sure I'll run out soon enough, but for now they're free and that's a good reason to see some 'questionable' titles. I saw Godsend the other day. A little weird but not bad. Did you see it? I'm picking up another one after work today that is on hold but I don't remeber what the title is.

If I stopped talking to my brother and father then we wouldn't talk. They don't initiate anything. My father would sit at home and complain to his brothers about his daughter who moved away. It ALL falls on me.

I know it sounds lame, but the money is a main reason why I don't go back to therapy. I wouldn't mind paying if I knew I was getting something out of it but I wasn't totally sure last year. I'll have to keep thinking about it. I have people around here to listen but I just clam up. I've never been good verbalizing feelings.

Do any of you have any projects or big plans for the spring or summer? The sun is starting to give me some desire to get moving. I haven't been running since the weekend but hope to get out again this weekend. A little at a time and the time change will help me get running in after work. How is everyone else doing with their exercise? mette - are you well enough to get back to it yet?

Back to work I guess. I'm trying to take it easy a little today after my stressful week with this paper.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #114  

Ugh hey ladies! I've been so bad about posting here lately, I promise to try harder next week.

Weight loss last week was only .2 pounds so I am getting more and more disappointed. This week I am trying to eat more, as I have been more physically active, and I've read that people who are active, should never eat the bare minimum target points (which is what I have been doing). I can only try to see what works best.

Work has been cranky. I started in 2000, July 10th. That makes this year, 2005 - my 5 year anniversary. You get 3 weeks vacation at 5 years service, but they are only giving me two, claiming that vacation time is based off of the Janurary 'renew' cycle. I argued that it was bs, and that I should be allowed 3 weeks this year, or else I am having to work 5.5 years for my darn vacation.

They give so little to begin with, they should at least stop taking crap away!
Grrr.

Anyway, back to the grind. I'll catch up this weekend.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #115  
Persistent and Stubborn

What happens in the spring? We seem to get busier but I'm not sure I get anymore done. I did take Friday off to decompress a little after being so stressed at work since being in CT. I needed a day to relax. I also decided internet at home wasn't worth $46/month so I won't be posting from home at all I guess. Hopefully work won't be too bad so I can keep up during breaks at work.

How were your weekends? mette - were you able to relax this weekend at all and finish getting all better?

Congratulations Renee on continuing to lose. I think it's great that you are still losing. I do agree that if you aren't eating enough you are probably doing your body more harm than good. What types of activities have you been doing? Are you going to the gym? Getting outside?

I got out and ran again yesterday. I'm still trying to find my legs again but I'm glad to get out and know that it will be hard for a while but will get better as I get into shape again. Now if I could just stop eating. I just keep gaining weight and it is making me depressed, which just makes me lose any motivation I have to do anything. It's a vicious cycle.

Renee - I'm sorry to hear about your job. Most places I have heard about give you the 'upgrade' on the 1st of January during your 5th year. You really do work in a tough place. Do you think they will budge at all? Any thoughts of looking for a new job again?

I found out today that my company offers this Work Life Solutions benefit. I'm just learning about it, but it seems that it is to help promote better/happier employees that will work harder. They seem to offer online and in person counseling on short term bases for specific problems. I'm looking into it more and may take advantage of it to took through issues concerning my family (mother passing away and trying to deal with dysfunctional men).

Have you adjusted to the new time, assuming you sprung ahead yesterday? I'm happy to have the sun but woke up pretty tired today.

Great weeks all around!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #116  

Tonight is weigh in, and yesterday I ate like a frenzied cow on a hill of luscious Kentucky Blue Grass! (We went to Outback) I am so nervous.

As for work - I am going to fight it. Just need to pick a day that things are low key and the guy I need to talk to is in a good mood. I do want to find someplace new - not because this place is so awful (it's not bad at all most of the time) but because I want to find a place that actually rewards you and stuff.

Spring ahead is great. Still sleepy though. We've had three straight days of sun, and I am sooo freaking happy!

That sounds like a good program that your work is offering ang, I'd try it. It can't hurt to at least explore your feelings a bit.

As for work outs, I am up to 6x a week. Well, in various forms.
Wed-Fri-Sunday are days at the gym. 25 minutes of weights, and 40-60 of cardio.
On the other days, I exercise at home with a sledge hammer for strength training, and then DDR (Dance Dance Revolution dance video game) It has a workout mode that figures your calories burnt, based off your weight, time played, and speed of song/dance steps. I burn about 200-300 every time I play, which equates (again the game figures it out) from anywhere from 1.8-2.8 miles of jogging.

So yah, I've increased my activity level A LOT. I just can't seem to find the right combo of points eaten versus spent. >.<

I'll let you guys know tomorrow, how it went.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 AM   #117  
maintaining

Hi guys. Long time, no write – I know. I don’t think it’s that I’m busier – it’s just that I spend much less time on the computer.

I’ve gotten better and have more energy, but I still sleep a lot (I’m going to bed at 10 most nights! I don’t think I’ve ever done that on a regular basis before! )
Not losing weight yet, but I’m easing my way back to the gym and had my 3 weekly sessions this weekend (Saturday, Sunday and Monday - and I do have the sore muscles to prove it too! ).

Work is sort of good. Really good too, sometimes. I think I get better at it, as I get used to working like this - at least that’s what I hope. Some of my patients get better too, so I must be doing something right (I hope... ).

Ang – good for you that you’ve taken up running again, and I do think you’re having the right approach: expecting it to be hard for a while, and then get better.
Hopefully you can get the ‘Work Life Solutions benefit’ to work for you too.

Renee – good luck on tonight’s weigh-in! I’m really impressed by how often you work out!

Keep up the good work girls – talk to you later.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #118  
maintaining

Default Happy Wednesday!

…or is it?

I hope you’re both doing well in the struggle against whatever monster you’re battling this week. I think my monster of the week is the Lethargy Monster!

Ang, I hope you’re doing better, but if you’re still struggling with the Vicious Cycle Monster of eating and feeling depressed, I’m as always a big believer in adding good and positive things until the cycle breaks, and turns into a positive one. I know it's very hard, and sometimes it takes forever to do – but I’ve never found anything else that helps for me.

I know I’ve talked about this before: I’m a big believer in starting to add good things into your days. When I overeat for a long time – to finally break it – I do several small things. I suppose it’s the baby steps everybody is talking about!
I start taking away the ‘bad food’ I easily can live without, I improve where I easily can improve, I start organizing a little better (plan dinners for the week, plan, pack, and bring lunch to school/work, know what to make for dinner once I get home, etc). And I start adding non-food-related pleasures/joys too. Because I often get to the point when I overeat where food is the only pleasure I give myself all day! So I add stuff I look forward to (for me it can be watching a movie, go out to meet people more, make sure to watch my favorite TV-shows, watch old episodes of X-files or Buffy, buying the latest Tori Amos CD, etc). Good things and positive feelings – I strongly believe those will help break the cycle.

Now, with that said, you are also in mourning right now, and I hope you allow yourself enough time and space to do whatever you need to do. To grieve for your mother, and to figure out how you want your life to be like now. And it’s always OK to move slowly.

Me, I seem to have lost my will to diet!
I was very gung-ho about it at the start of March, but right now I’m not motivated at all. I’m not really sure what happened… I have to wait and see a little, I think. Normally I will get very motivated to lose weight at the end of April when summer draws close.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #119  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default Sun is out again!

Renee - how did your weigh in go? Good luck with the work issues. It is definitely important to feel appreciated. Let us know what happens.

We have been having sun here too and it is wonderful. I ran errands after work yesterday and had plenty of sunlight to spare when I got home. Now if I could just have some energy and motivation to get outside and exercise when I got home. I am envious, Renee, of your workout schedule - discipline, variety and fun. Do you have DDR in your home? Do you really use a sledge hammer? on what?

I did call today about the program at work. I get a 30 min free legal consult to discuss issues about my father and I get 6 free sessions with a grief counselor in my area. Since it is a limited number of sessions I am going to try to keep it focused. In the end I think it can only help other aspects of my life.

Welcome back mette. I totally understand about the computer. I mentioned (I think) that I'm going to drop internet at home. Not that I don't enjoy the things I do on the computer, but there is so much more to life too. I'm so happy that you are feeling better though. Give the weight loss time, you need to get your body back into that mode. If you are still maintaining maybe it is better to take it slowly and wait until the end of the month to worry about 'dieting'. Are you motivated to do the workouts? Maybe one thing at a time is best. You were out of the loop for a long time because of your illness. Be patient.

Congratulations with work - mette! I'm glad you are enjoying what you are doing. I'm not surprised at all though that you are good at it. Thanks for your advice. I am trying to do some good things and taking steps (like seeking counseling) to make improvements. It hit me hard yesterday that I eat to divert my attention from feelings and other thoughts that I might want to ignore. It is a terrible defense mechanism but clear as a bell for me to see now. I am definitely not dealing with my feelings concerning my mother's death and probably my fears about life in general as a signle woman and homeowner and career woman.

Since I have been gaining weight, lately I have been adding stress to my life by worrying about what to wear, what will fit, etc. As much as I hate to spend the time and money, I decided yesterday that I am just going to go to the store and buy a small wardrobe (a couple of pants, and some easy spring sweaters or something) that is plenty big. I just need to get that worry off of me - it just puts me in a bad mood and then I don't have motivation. Maybe after I accept what is going on I'll be able to get a hold of the true problem. I guess what I'm saying is that I am not going to try and lose weight right now, I'm going to try and improve my life. It may help me lose weight in the long run but that's not my goal right now. I think about joining WW but realize that if I don't solve the problems I won't stick to anything. I know what to do. I don't need a diet plan to tell me.

In the meantime I'm working on my house when I can, running when I feel like it, and eating healthy when possible (usually pretty good during the day). Keep your fingers crossed that the grief counseling helps.

Sorry for the ramble. I hope you are both having a great day. Except for not getting much work done mine has been going pretty well so far.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #120  
maintaining

Ang – thank you for your post yesterday: I enjoyed your ramble very much!
It’s so good to hear that you’re taking an active approach towards going to therapy and towards buying new clothes. I’m very much impressed by your attitude towards getting the worry of not having clothes to wear off you. Good for you that you do things that hopefully will do you good.

Renee – how are you this week?

I do agree with Ang that there is more to life than computers right now. Do you guys think we should talk about some possible futures for our little thread? We could maybe invite more people in? See if we can find another thread/group we can merge with? Keep it as it is and just accept that we will have slower periods too? We have several options, and I do want to say that this is one of my favorite places on the net! I really like to have you guys here, and I don’t want us to stop meeting!

I’m still maintaining my weight, I thankfully have no problems maintaining. My problem now seems to be getting into losing-weight-mode again. I do think one thing at a time is best, too. I don’t stress with anything yet.

Have a good one!