Old 01-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #61  

Afternoon all.

Ceejay Ė Weíve got 25 degrees here right now. If I were retired, I can definitely see myself not leaving the house on the nasty weather days. You have your stamina bike at home anyway Ė no need to go out to the gym. Add a few squats, ab crunches and wall pushups and you're set.

Annie Ė I thought the 3-D mammo would reduce the need to have to go back in for additional films. Bleh. Weíll see if thatís needed after they finally compare my old films to the ones they just did. == Yeh, different cube, same ol' work. == Iím sure your competitive streak will kick in soon Ė maybe after you get whooped at the first weigh-inÖ c'mon, you know you can do it!!!! == Be safe this weekend in the icy storms.

Happy Ė Yikes Ė minus 22!?! And whatís the wind chill? No, donít tell me. Donít wanna know. I know those are dangerous temps, but I do think people have to go on with their lives if thatís the way itís going to be. Though I am glad to live in a metro area and that if I fainted or fell over and couldnít get up while outside, someone would eventually find me and not let me freeze to death (I think). Be safe out there in the frozen North! == The cooking class sounded wonderful. Last time I made crŤme brulee, I was unhappy with the custardís texture, and it seemed sort of eggy to me. I also didnít do a great job on the caramelized sugar shell. So I guess I need to try it again sometime. The soup session sounds like it would be great Ė I hope you can persuade DH to go. == Speaking of your DH, I really liked his fb picture of the sunís rays shining through the woods Ė just wonderful.

Hellos to Shad and Susie!

==
Nothing much to report. BF picked me up from the train and we picked up the stockpot and pasta insert. At just $10, it was a good deal. Itíll be good to have an extra pot like that, and I especially wanted the insert. Maybe I'll finally make some homemade pasta this weekend!!

I took another long nap last night after I got all snug in my snuggy Ė slept two hours on the sofa before getting up and going to bed. Between the snuggy and the recliner, I didnít stand a chance, LOL.

My friend D got a new job and gave her current employer notice a few days ago. Iím very happy for her. I also hope the new job keeps her distracted from obsessing over our upcoming vacation. She's driving me crazy with all the planning. Weíre still just over 3 months away from that. I donít want to start obsessing over the smaller details until much later.

Nothing going on this weekend. Iíd like for bf and I to get the artwork hung in the bedroom. And I should think heíd want to finish my momís closet once and for all by buying & installing the shelves. Weíll also buy one of those temporary pleated paper window shades for the window on my momís balcony door.
Otherwise, Iím kind of on my own for some of the day/evening of both days because bf loves to watch the nfl playoff games.

Okay, thatís about it for me. Iíll get this posted and back to the grind. Have a great weekend everyone.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:53 AM   #62  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Sheez we are melting down here. The sun has gone down and we are still at 33C and it has been up to 37C in the living room and probably close to 40C outside. No one wants to move fast around here.
The cats are lying under the fan and have no intention of moving even to feed. So the dog being ever the hungry beast has devoured their dinners and is now tucking into his own. It's been a pretty lazy day round here. I've only walked the dog and made my bed, thumbed through a few old magazines and chucked them out, then went and did some shopping for bread and coke (coca cola), repotted a lemon and a lime tree and that is it. DS2 bummed around inside until about an hour ago and is now back up on the pergola roof putting down the roof sheets and screwing them in. I've been taking photos as we go and will show them to you later.

Dog came home from his walk this morning panting and puffing and put himself straight into his pool. Quite comical really as he doesn't actually fit in it any more. If he gets all four feet in, he can't lay down. If he lays down he can only get the front half in and then has to wriggle his butt to get some water on that.

Annie - I am so happy that the liver scan came back with a not too bad result. Ha ha that we will be in hospital at the same time. I'll get out of my bed to make way for you. Then I will go back to your snow and sleet and you can have my heat - so to speak.
Boo on the deductibles. I would be very unhappy to have to pay those sorts of amounts of money especially since I had an insurance policy. Sure does make you wonder.
Come on Annie you can do this weight loss thing. You've done it before. Get rid of the junk food around the house and just eat apples or something fruity.
Afraid the pergola will have to do without the fan as we don't have an exterior one here and we just want to get the sheeting on so DS2 can get the job finished. We are going to put LED strip lighting in to give light when we want to sit out there after dark. We may also put some pot lighting under the eaves if that is not enough to see by. I've waited for this for so long now. I just want it done so I can get it prettied up and put the hammock up.
Yeah I know the story of the bathroom issues. If I don't eat enough I don't go and if I don't go daily then it gets very painful. If I overeat it is a mess. Delicate balance this eating business.

Ceejay - I wish you could take away some of this heat. Not looking forward to my next power bill. Might have to up the rent or take out a mortgage.
Laura - DS2 and I race to see who does what around the house. He finished off the plastering for me and made a beautiful job of it so now it is up to me to get painting and get the room ship shape. I don't think it will be finished before I go to hospital unfortunately but I will shift all the furniture into the middle of the room and then I should be able to work around it when I get back and feel fit enough. Doubt that I will be going anywhere in a hurry after that for some weeks.
Glad to hear that the stockpot and insert were good value. Happy pastaring.

Happy - your cooking classes sound great. Nice lot of food for you to taste test. I've made crŤme brulee. Don't have much trouble with the custard part of it but sure do with the sugar. Can't get it really crunchy and it doesn't make that cracking sound when you hit it with the spoon. The soup sounds good but I can understand DH's aversion to driving in the snow and ice.

Oh and while I think about it. Thank you Annie and Happy for the Christmas cards. Annies arrived before Christmas but I was pretty busy and forgot to mention it. I also had a card from Carla49 - remember her? She used to post here some years back. I will need to write back to her as I have mislaid her e-mail address. So Carla if you are lurking please note I will get around to it. Maybe while I am in hospital next week, no the week after. Next week is tests, tests and more tests to check blood etc.

Okay - out of here to get some bug off spray on. Bloody mosquitos are biting again.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #63  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning ladies,

Still cold out there - two degrees but better than yesterday. Actually yesterday could have been worse - they were talking negative 40 degrees (F) with the wind chill, it was minus 22 with the air temp alone. Fortunately there was little to no wind so it only felt like minus 30 Two more days and the warm winds will come in from somewhere and we will actually get above freezing for several days and maybe even hit 40 degrees! Would love to see some of this ice melt. Or loosen up enough to clean it. Although any hint of warmth after the bitter cold seems to bring snow with it.

Ladies, I am asking your prayers for me. I have to make some difficult decisions which I don't care to go into right now. I am praying for strength and a cool head to make the right ones. Thanks in advance.

Shad - I have totally forgotten what it is like to be so warm and humid that you don't want to move I think the dog is trying to tell you he needs a pool upgrade Then you need to have a talk with him about how precious water is at the moment and why he can't always get what he wants. The pergola sounds like it will be a lovely restful place when you finish. Bummer that the plans for the fan did not work. Hubster put some downward facing LED lights on the deck which light it up quite nicely without overkill. We haven't had them in the summer yet so I am not sure how much they will attract bugs either but it's nice light without taking the night away. As for the creme brulee - I too thought the chef's recipe was a bit eggy. The one's I like are more smooth and tasting of vanilla pudding I'd say. He did warn about it being touchy and easily turning into scrambled eggs. But the biggest trick of all was finishing it and getting the crust right. He poured the sugar over the custard and took a regular blow torch tool and held the ramekin in his hand while running the flame over it. The trick is the melt the sugar and let it run down the ramekin covering the custard with molten sugar. Now this is tricky and dangerous because if you look your attention for even a few seconds, you can burn your hand with the flame or even worse, have hot melted sugar substantially burn your hand. It's that golden liquid sugar that creates that perfect crust that you crack into which is the hallmark of a brulee. I remember when my brother was little. He was a budding chemist even as a child and had his chemistry "lab" in a cubbyhole underneath the basement stairs. He would not only perform experiments with his chemistry set but he also had a bunsen burner. He would take table sugar and melt it in a metal measuring spoon over the flame and then pop the melted sugar on to the bench where he'd make candies that he and I would gobble up. Sometimes we got quite the burn on our lips and tongue from being a bit too eager with the candy before it cooled. And I can't say for sure that he cleaned the spoon between chemical experiments and making us candy And that childhood memory is probably why I like creme brulee to this day

Shad - I really do hope that you are not considering any sort of room painting while you are recovering from your surgery. What plans do you have to keep yourself occupied enough to keep yourself out of trouble? Do you take ODDU for walks or is that up to DS? I think you would like chef's soups a whole lot. He doesn't make the standard soups and very much loves to cook with pumpkin and squash. I will have to keep some recipes on file for when you come to visit although I'm not sure we can get anything but the soft yellow summer squash (cousin to zucchini) in the summer months here. If you tell me soon enough I can freeze some. Finally you are welcome on the Christmas card - glad you got it. You are much better than me when it comes to sending out cards.

Laura - yes I live in the woods but not that remote - unless I went walking in the back of the property which I would never do at any time of year. Fair bet that most of the time if one fell someone would eventually come along to find them. But rule number one is always be aware of your surroundings. Kind of like living in the city but your "aware" is a bit different than mine. I am actually very grateful we settled down 4 miles from town. Some people are very rural - when I worked at the popcorn shop when I first moved here, the owner had almost a hour's drive home. She said it made her nervous because very often she'd drive and never encounter another car all the way home. Was especially bad when her husband had to get a regular job again and travelled out of town on a regular basis and she really was all alone. It's just too bad that most of the time one is awestruck about finding the "perfect place" and it's not until you lived there for a while that you realize maybe it's not all it's chalked up to be And if you're lucky, you're happy where you landed. My Mom said it might get up to 50 degrees by you when we get our heat wave. She was complaining that was too warm for winter and all it did was breed cold virus germs. And I think I'd have to agree. Also like my sister said, when it gets unseasonably warm and then the temps drop back to "normal" again - brrrrr that feels so cold and chills you to the bone. My cousin's daughter's family just moved from Chicago to Minneapolis and she is being introduced to just how dry it is here. You probably have 80 percent humidity in Chicago if not higher which makes for cold and damp "refrigerator" type cold. Here the air is bone dry and we are about 30 to 40 percent humidity at best. That makes for very dry skin, static electricity galore as well as waking up with your eyes sticking to your eyelids and your tongue sticking to the roof of your mouth It sure is a different thing to get used to. Again I digress and go running off on a tangent here... sorry. I take it that your friend D has negotiated the vacation time off prior to accepting the new job? You asked about the themes for the next cooking classes - there is one on soups the end of January - like I said he doesn't do your standard beef vegetable or tomato or chicken soup. He likes to combine whatever fresh ingredients he has around. He made a wonderful pork stock which I never would have considered and turned that into a wonderful vegetable soup. Next month is flavors from the Virgin Islands - a sort of Caribbean cooking with shrimp, fish and I wonder where he will get tropical ingredients in February here now that I think about it. Then we have You say Taco, I say Taquito - several different kinds of not so standard tacos. In May we are going to a local farm where we will tour the farm (lambs and pigs and a hydroponic garden she does over the winter months). Then using whatever is fresh at the time, he will cook us up some dishes. There is a Grilling Italian class that I really hated to miss in October when I had to cover for bingo. He is repeating the class in April but it's at the school an hour's drive away and not sure we want to drive that far, especially for a class E has already taken. It's mostly just a fun night out once a month. He is also going to be cooking dinner at the farm on Friday nights over the summer months so that will be a nice change of pace from the usual Friday fish fry around here.

Ceejay - yuck on the freezing rain, I'd rather have inches of snow instead of ice. I hope you were smart and stayed safe at home until things melted again. I guess you are getting more of a taste of winter than when you lived in Arkansas. I wonder what the summers will be like for you.

Annie - I know it's difficult but don't get your head too mixed up in the weight loss contest. Sometimes, like the scale it can be your worst enemy. I am having similar issues - the scale is being erratic and I can pinpoint why but it is really messing with my head and I have to stop that. I totally HEAR you on wishing I could bottle up and drink down some of the energy of the kids or the dogs. They don't realize how lucky they are. So I tell myself that a body in motion stays in motion. I was talking to one of the volunteers yesterday. I was sitting at the table because I had been on my feet for 4 hours straight and my knees were complaining. E was talking to me while sweeping the floor and folding items and putting stuff away. Constant motion. I said to myself - this is why she is skinny as a twig - she can't sit still for a second and even she admits it. I hope the weather stays good enough so that you were able to get out to your meeting.

Hello to Susie - and with that I will get off the computer and go make some progress on my to do tasks for the day. Have a good weekend everyone.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #64  
Choose your hard

and Shad - yes I remember Carla. Good to hear she is still around. It's been years - not sure I have her email addy any more. Say hi from me if you get in touch with her.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Afternoon
I'm waiting for sis and bil to come by and pick me up for a lunch date. I'm ready to get out of the house. Last week wasn't to bad dealing with the ice. The garbage pick up was delayed till Monday. North Springfield got more ice than we did in South Springfield/Battlefield.
I'm feeling better today than last week. I had a low grade temperature this past week due to the residual of the sinus infection plus a sore throat. Still taking my antibiotics.

Happy
Please be careful while out and about in that freezing weather. I can only imagine what that would feel like. I'd be hibernating with the bear. Sending you good vibes to help make your decisions. Also said a prayer.

Laura
So your mom is getting settle in her new place and getting things organized. I reorganized a closet last week in my bathroom and next week I will tackle another closet make over. Finally getting back to some normalcy.

Shad
Try to stay cool. I'm hoping that your summer temps are not what we will have this summer.

Annie
Sending you good vibes also.

Susie
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #66  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ladies. Sorry to be MIA, work and life got busy on Thursday and just kept going that way

I am happy to report another loss at TOPS on Thursday night. I was down 2.8 lbs.

I am feeling great on this new eating plan and my workouts.

We had freezing rain for a bit yesterday but was able to get out later and meet a friend in Dayton, OH to go see "Hidden Figures" It is an excellent movie.

Ceejay: I am sure it was it nice to get out and about after being inside for a few days! Do you and your sister work out at the same gym or different ones?

Annie: There is no way you aren't going to win this weight loss challenge. No, get moving! How did the ankle do with your exercise? Do you have room for a recumbent bike? I love mine and I just get on and ride and watch all the home improvement shows...the time goes fast doing it that way.

Shad: Sounds like the dog needs a bigger pool! Do you think the pergola will be finished when you get out of the hospital?

Happy: I'm keeping you in my prayers for whatever you are dealing with.

Laura: Once my DH got out of bed this afternoon (after his fever broke) the tv has been on football. I have gotten caught up on my magazine reading.

Did you and BF get any art hung this weekend?

I am heading to bed. I am off work tomorrow for MLK day. DH keeps wondering why he didn't take a vacation day.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #67  

Morning all. Ugh, wish I had the day off because it would have been nice to not go outside at all today. It was a slippery walk to the train station due to the icy rain The sidewalks were hazardous, so I walked on the lawn as much as I could...but there were still driveways to cross.

Susie Ė Big congrats on another fabulous TOPS loss!! Great job. == I heard from another person that ďHidden FiguresĒ was a good movie. == No, still didnít get the artwork hung in the bedroom. We need a piece of hardware to attach to the wooden frame - sawtooth bracket. == Enjoy your day off work.

Ceejay Ė Thatís one thing that your area tends to get that my area usually doesnít Ė ice storms. But today is an exception, since weíre getting this freezing rain coming down. Bleh. Just be happy you don't have to go outside if you don't want/need to!! == Good for you getting one of your closets reorganized. Our closets arenít awful, but thereís a lot of work to be done in our basement!

Happy Ė My prayers are with you for those decisions you need to make. == LOL re the story of your brotherís chemistry experiments and candy-making using that Bunsen burner. So funny how many unsafe toys were out there so many years ago. My brother had a wood-burning thingy. == Re my friendís new job Ė no problem with the vacation time needed for the cruise/Key West. I canít see how an employer could raise an issue with thatÖ but she will only have one week of vacation left for the rest of the year after that, which is a bummer. Thatís the one thing thatís a step down for her in this new job Ė the amount of vacation. == Sounds like you have some really good cooking classes coming up this year. The visit to the farm sounds really interesting.

Shad Ė Looking forward to the pergola photos. == Aww, ODDU outgrew his pool. Must be awfully warm for him in this weather with all that fur. == Watched a few minutes of the Australian Open tennis and boy it looked hot - sun seemed to be blazing down straight from overhead.

Hello to Annie Ė Enjoy your holiday today!

--
My weekend was uneventful. I finished reading one book and started another on Friday evening.

Saturday I didnít do much other than some laundry, dishes, and a BE workout. Bf had a friend and two of the friendís sons over to watch one of the playoff games. I watched a bit of TV in the basement for a change, though it was a bit chilly down there. Couldnít help but notice a LOT of stuff down there to purge. Iíll not even try to sell most of it Ė off to the thrift shop or Salvation Army it will go.

That said, I decided not to sell or donate the Heywood Wakefield vintage coffee table I took off my momís hands. She used it as a plant stand and, not surprisingly, it ended up with water damage. She refinished the top and didnít do a great job of it, so Iím pretty sure I wouldnít be able to get as much for it as I would if it were in its original condition. But I like it, so I'll keep it - but leave it in the basement as it doesnít really go with anything upstairs.

On Sunday morning we went to bfís auntís place for a birthday luncheon for her Ė she turned 84 last Wednesday. She was recovering from an auto accident a year ago when she moved into this senior apartment community and was very frail, but sheís doing pretty well now.

On Sunday afternoon, I picked up two lighted Valentineís Day window decorations from a seller on one of my FB garage sale sites. Both for $8, and they were new in the box. Couple more weeks and Iíll put them up in the living room picture window.

After that I shopped for a pair of jeans at Kohlís. Thereís been no word of discontinuing the jeans dress code at work, in which case I desperately needed a new pair. I ended up with a pair of Leviís, but too bad the 15% Kohlís discount coupon I had didnít apply to them. And the sale was buy one pair, get half off the 2nd, but if I havenít ever bought something, I donít like to buy multiples until I know theyíll work out for me. On the other hand, I could have bought two pairs and not worn the 2nd, and if the one pair didnít work out, I could still return the otherÖmaybe I should go back and return the one and then buy twoÖ huh. I also bought a sweater.

Thatís about it for me, so Iíll get this posted.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #68  

I didnt even go out of the house today. I spent a lot of my day setting up accounts for things that have to do with some of my work benefits. One has to with our healthcare where we do activities and earn points on recouping our deductibles

The other is a new benefit I took out for this year which is a Legal benefit. It gives us access to attorney's who can do things at no cost or low cost and we get a 25% deduction rate on bigger things. It costs me $8 a month and one of the things they have just started offering is identity protection! And it is included in my $8 a month fee. It covers both of us. I got us both set up and talked to them about all of it. It works exactly like Lifelock. Nothing is different.

So, I am going to see if it is indeed working like LifeLock and if so, I will close my Lifelock account and save us $50 a month.

Laura: I had no idea you had ice up your way today. Ice is scary for sure! I am glad you made it safe to and from work.

It sounds like you have a great plan for purging your basement. I plan on doing that with our garage in the next few months.

I am getting sleepy and posting on my phone so I will post more tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #69  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Gez, just his post and it threw me into a different thread and I lost my post.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #70  

Morning all.

Susie Ė How interesting that you can recoup some of what you spend paying towards a deductible by doing activities. I assume the activities are health/fitness types of activities. What a motivation. And what a great benefit you'll have if you get the same services that Lifelock provides and itís included in your $8 per month cost. As for the attorney services Ė I think Iím going to contact my employerís EAP and see if they have any legal services, or at least offer referral service to a local attorney. I still havenít completed a will!

Hellos to the rest of you. Hope your week is off to a good start.

==
Nothing much to report here. Bf and I finally booked our Key West b&b last night. A higher rate than I would have liked, but itís only two nights. Neither of us likes researching that kind of stuff, so I guess Iím saying weíd rather pay the extra $$ than spend more time searching for a great deal. The money we received for our wellness incentive bonuses just about covers the cost, so itís all good. Glad thatís done. Now to decide what shore excursions we want to take on our cruise. And I think Iíll borrow a travel book from the library to learn more about Key West. Reminds me, I have to get to the library to pick up a couple dvds and a book I have on hold.

Iím undecided if I want to go to the movie tonight. I didnít vote, but the chosen movie is ďLionĒ which looks interesting, and itís probably a good movie based on all the Golden Globe nominations it received.

Thatís it for me, so Iíll get this posted. TTFN.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #71  
Choose your hard

Hi ladies,

It's amazing how quickly the morning passes. I just looked at the time and it's about time for me to jump in the shower and get ready for my afternoon shift at the shop so I will have to post later... sorry.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #72  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I guess me too. Off for blood tests for this operation next week and donating a pint in case I need a transfusion. Just love giving a pint or two of the good red stuff for a cause - me!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

My nephew called yesterday and told me the boys were talking about me and wanted to see me. He came to pick me. He lives in Nixa. His little ones are precious. His 4 year old asked for pizza so that's what we got. We played until their nap time.
This morning I had a doctor's appointment. All is well. Scouted the location for the next appointment for next week. I'm learning my way around. The funny thing is I asked the GPS where the building was and I was with in 500 feet. I also found the Battlefield mall in Springfield. May go to JC Penny's next week.

Shad
Good for you in giving blood. I've never been brave enough to do that.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #74  

Hi Ladies. The work day flew by and so did the evening.

DH is getting back into exercising regularly. So he asked me to wait to exercise at 7:30 so he could be done with his shower. So we at as soon as we got home. He always plans to have a local restaurant's Tuesday nigjt special. We put in the order and pick it up in the way home. They rotate, meatloaf, chicken and noodles or pork chops. He loves all of them so he always gets dinner from there on Tuesday. Everything is homemade.

Well, he wouldn't get a move on after dinner and I finally told him I was working out at 8 with or without him and going forward, I would be working out at 7 with or without him. I am doing at least a 45 min workout or 60 min and I dont want to.finish working out at 8:30 or later

Last edited by MyChoice2bfit; 01-17-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyChoice2bfit View Post
Hi Ladies. The work day flew by and so did the evening.

DH is getting back into exercising regularly. So he asked me to wait to exercise at 7:30 so he could be done with his shower. So we at as soon as we got home. He always plans to have a local restaurant's Tuesday nigjt special. We put in the order and pick it up in the way home. They rotate, meatloaf, chicken and noodles or pork chops. He loves all of them so he always gets dinner from there on Tuesday. Everything is homemade.

Well, he wouldn't get a move on after dinner and I finally told him I was working out at 8 with or without him and going forward, I would be working out at 7 with or without him. I am doing at least a 45 min workout or 60 min and I dont want to.finish working out at 8:30 or later
Laura: I have always wanted to go to Key West and I can't wait to hear about your trip.

I am going to try and go in 2 years.

How are things working out in the new cube.

Annie: what happened with your post? I was posting just now and it postrx automatically for me. Is that what happened? I went in and edited mine so I could keep on typing.

Ceejay: It is so nice that you are spending time with your extended family. What did you find out at the doctor?

Shad, did the blood donation go ok? I did that as well when I had my hysterectomy and I didnt need it.

Happy: how did the shift go today? When is the next taichi class?

I am heading to bed. If there are spelling errors or anything that looks weird please overlook it, I am posting from my phone.